PDA

View Full Version : Whats the worst job you have ever had???

grantyg
22-Oct-06, 17:31
As the post says - whats the worst job you have ever had..........

I have been lucky really, I think serving junkies in McDonalds in Springburn - glasgow was pretty depressing at times but that was better than working for a certain bank (I aint mentioningthem!)- where we had to sell loans to pensioners and I also had to inform people of the huge service charge that they have.

On anotherforum this question followed a trail of abbatoir jobs and even a guy who used to fix industrial fridges - Mainly in morgues!

lassieinfife
22-Oct-06, 17:58
working in a chip shop as a fish fryer................ can still remember smell lingered for weeks after i quit lol:lol:

aileenmac
22-Oct-06, 18:20
I worked in a chicken processing factory - the chickens were slaughtered next door then they came over the partitioning wall hanging from a moving chain. As they went past we were supposed to cut off the legs & wings eeuurgh! There was blood and stuff all over the floor - and the smell!!! I only lasted 2 shifts!:lol: :lol:

danc1ngwitch
22-Oct-06, 18:28
cleanin after ma X hubbie.. LoL.. swipes ma brow now that was a job and a half. :roll:

Rheghead
22-Oct-06, 18:28
Picking bits of a suicide case from a railwayline and bagging them up.:(

Saxo01
22-Oct-06, 18:43
Thats a tough one Rheghead i for one coudn't face it, Heres me thinking packing crabs was a bad one usually got them hanging from each finger :eek:

elaine
22-Oct-06, 18:54
As a student during the hols: Security Guard in Glasgow Sheriff Court - £2.42 an hour.
Standing in one spot for 12 hours a days or, for a bit of a change, pace up and down for a bit. There wasn't even any yelling, arguments or entertainment of any kind - I was kinda hoping for at least some fisticuffs - but no...... just standing...........and pacing............then some more standing.

Lasted a week and got out of there before I lost my mind.

It sucked.

A great deal.

Then moved on to KFC - but that's a whole other story - three words sum it up - "breaking the chicken". But it was hugely better paid - £3.33 an hour.

The next summer we ended up in a dodgy call-centre (grubby room with 20 telephones in) trying to sell double glazing - it was bad, very bad. You got routinely humiliated in front of the group if you did not get enough people agreeing to a call-back (of course we never had ANY! because we did not care about selling windows!! We were in it for the money - ahem) but, you do get worn down with someone shouting at you every day!

Oh yeah, then there was the year that I was a chamber maid in the Thistle in Glasgow. Changing manky bads, cleaning out the loos (what people leave in the bins would make you ill) You had a quota of rooms to finish within your allocated hours and if you weren't done you stayed for as long as it took. It was RUUUUUUBISH!

My best worst job was a store-room assistant in Etams. Never saw the light of day! Just unpacked and hung clothes all day - actually I would do that again! It was very therapeutic!

percy toboggan
22-Oct-06, 19:02
Oh dear Rheghead, that sounds dreadful and my own worst experience pale's after that.
However.
I once spent six hours as a kitchen porter at a south Manchester hospital. I was eighteen. I spend half the morning cutting up cabbages, and the rest mopping hospital corridors, red quarry tiles I recall, as health professionals (they weren't called that then, just Doc's and nurses) swept by. I felt insignificant and rather low. In truth I was doing one of the most vital jobs in the place!

A woman from personnel came down to see me and asked me to 'sign a contract' I declined, told her not to bother, and scuttled off to the labour exchange where a rather rewarding van driving job allowed me to explore almost the whole of northern England. There is a lot of it too.

emszxr
22-Oct-06, 19:22
worst was probably being a chamber maid in a thurso hotel between high school and college. the job would have been not too bad if it wasnt for top maid. she used to clean the whole bathroom with the same cloth. yukkkk

obiron
22-Oct-06, 19:27
got to be the first job i had working in a chippie. hated it lasted a few weeks. apparently i was bit slow and didnt take the orders quick enough. was glad to finish cos the smell lingered.

neepnipper
22-Oct-06, 19:52
During the school hols I tried carrot topping, it involved pulling the thick ends of carrots over a fixed metal blade, I got paid by the crateful but left after one shift having only achieved half a crateful and managing to 'top' most of my fingers, it was getting a bit embarrassing having to keep ask for more plasters!

bobbyjoeufb
22-Oct-06, 21:40
Had a paper round for a couple of weeks that sucked. Could hardley lift the bag it weighed so much. Got paid about a £5.00 for a weeks work so chucked it.

I also wasted eight years at Manpower, Got out of there In January and have never been happier, I pitty anyone who has to work in that place.

connieb19
22-Oct-06, 21:42
Had a paper round for a couple of weeks that sucked. Could hardley lift the bag it weighed so much. Got paid about a £5.00 for a weeks work so chucked it.

I also wasted eight years at Manpower, Got out of there In January and have never been happier, I pitty anyone who has to work in that place.Manpower was the worst job I ever had too. I was there for nearly 3 years and hated it so much. :~(

willowbankbear
22-Oct-06, 22:29
Working on 1 certain fishing boat out of Wick & Scrabster in the 90`s. Nightmare

David from Stockport
23-Oct-06, 09:57
Not really had a horrible job like some of you guys luckily but i did have to do one last year to which i was really ill suited and felt really awkward. I work in a very large department store in Manchester and had to be Santa going around waving to all the children and giving out lots of chocolate coins (also very difficult as iam a chocoholic and dont like giving away my chocolate) ,the reason i felt awkward is becouse its impossible to look less like santa than me - im 5 ft 5, am in the gym 4 days a week have a shaved head and no beard and in early 40 s - so i had to be really padded with a cushion which didnt look realistic a wig and beard made out of some synthetic stuff which had my head itching well into new year . I was so scared of spoiling any childrens veiw of father christmas as i believe its still so important for youngsters to keep the magic of christmas. In the end it went well and the kids loved it as did the adults as i did not confine giving out chocs to the kids! The worst bit tho was channel five news turned up one day and i had to walk round with a reporter showing him what he could have for xmas , so i was on the news as well - hope i didnt ruin to many xmas s . Oh and the reason why i got pressganged into being santa when other staff looked far better for the part ? you guessed it -i have a piece of paper that says i dont have a criminal record!!!! -think il have to find an excuse this year or start eating more chocolate now so i wont need the pillow ! - now that seems a good idea!!! mmmmmmmmm

golach
23-Oct-06, 10:07
Being a Baths & Wines Steward onboard RMS Orontes, taking emigrants to Oz in the 1960's, the ship was old, no airconditioning, and my job was to run baths for the passengers and clean the bogs [disgust]
So the hand that was cleaning out frequently blocked ladies loos, served the their wine at Lunch and Dinner, but apart from that, saw some sights and shapes, once through the Suez canal females seem to loose all their inhibitions :roll: but thats another yarn

henry20
23-Oct-06, 10:35
I've had 3 jobs in total and haven't disliked any of them, they've all had their up days & down days, but I've been pretty lucky :)

cuddlepop
23-Oct-06, 11:41
Laundry maid in an old folks home.:eek: Too smelly and too hot

David from Stockport
23-Oct-06, 11:54
not a worst job of mine but of quite a few friends and not something you guys want to here as you are looking to them for salvation but its Tesco !!!!!- ive been in retail 25 years and they are generaly exepted as being ruthless in every way and about the worst employers in retail Wick and Thurso beware - they treat shop staff very badly and at the moment are going to war with there distribution centres and staff - bringing in more and more agency staff and forcing out there own staff , agency staff also get first dibs on any overtime which is very hard on the Tesco staff who rely on this to make a living wage . For agency staff please read eastern europeans who live 10 to a house etc . If you think thats bad think how they treat supplyers which i admit is also how other big stores work they are pinned to the floor!! If you see say an end promotion of Pepsi , Pepsi could have paid a fortune for that space , companies also pay for there space on the shelves if its say at eye level the company could have paid top dollar. Some companies also only get paid for what the store sells so if for example its razor blades and the store get delivered 100 packs of that 100 say 80 go through the tills and 20 get stolen the store only pay for the 80 that were sold. Oh and i know the good people of Thurso reckon Tesco may have bought a site in the town -this does not mean you get a store , bit stores buy up land just to stop another store buying it and they are happy just to hold it and forget about it . Hope Tesco is good for Caithness but beware!!!

squidge
23-Oct-06, 14:51
this one

Sigh

but it could be post holiday blues!!!!:~(

MGB1979
23-Oct-06, 15:10
Washing dishes in a hotel was pretty bad, the work at Norfrost was hellish but I was with a lot of friends so it was bearable.

tillygirl
23-Oct-06, 16:43
I worked in a kitchen with a chef shouting all the time, water dripping down mouldy walls, and realising where where the food comes from. Yuk. Would never go back to it. And would only eat out in certain places.

Murdina Bug
23-Oct-06, 18:24
Working in Presto's in Wick in late 80s, with a certain manager who thought the best way to get your attention was to shout at you and kick doors! (I am sure that a lot of you know who I mean!) Mind you, at least I wasn't in the storeroom the day he threw a tin of beans at someones head.....

Mamabear
23-Oct-06, 19:48
I worked in Wetherspoons 2 years ago, what a place for backstabbing & bickering!! I lasted 3 months then fell out with the manageress & got a better job in a local shop

Ricco
23-Oct-06, 21:20
Working as a forklift truck driver on a mushroom farm; outside in all weathers being showered in the unmentionable from the machine that fills the trays. My job was to make sure that the machine was continually filled with trays, and goodness it could go through a stack very quickly! :confused

SNOWDOG
23-Oct-06, 21:57
Kitchen fatigues while at camp, hours doin dishes! Hot, noisy, sore back and hands like giant prunes! Great way to lose weight though. :D

Cedric Farthsbottom III
24-Oct-06, 15:22
Still doin' the same job as I was since I left school,ootwith ma P.E course, so it must be ma worst job and best job all wrapped into one!!!!:lol: :lol:

jings00
24-Oct-06, 16:36
manpower was the worst job for me too. lasted seven years then broke. met lots of good mates there though, and the majority of folk i worked with were spot on too. just the job and the company itself wot sucked.

robglysen
24-Oct-06, 18:54
Hmm,
Did a night in a food factory, stood picking pasta out of a bowl of water and seperating the bits, that sucked.

Delivering parcels on very rough estates in stockport, adswood etc.

Rheghed is that true about the picking up bits of suicides off the railway, I think your leading us up the garden path

Also, working in a highly dangerous dirty hot sweaty press shop for 5 years.

paris
24-Oct-06, 19:24
worst job ive ever had was collecting chicken eggs in huge poultry sheds on a farm, the smell was out of this world and made you nose holes burn if you didnt wear a mask. If you saw a dead chicken we had to put an egg box in the egg trays so the dead man as we called him could come and get them out of the little wire cages. Looking back now it was really cruel for them poor chickens.:~( jan x

htwood
24-Oct-06, 20:50
Hardest job I ever had was doing radio dispatch for fire department in a big city. No one could agree on who got the midnight shift, so we had to rotate shifts every week. Sometimes when I woke up and the clock said 7, I didnt know if am or pm.
But the hardest bit was taking all the emergency phone calls and trying to calm people while sending the right fire engines to the right place; and hearing the firemen on their radios, shouting what was really happening inside the buildings. And realizing that sometimes things are completely out of human control. 28 years ago, and I can still shiver thinking of it.

sweetpea
24-Oct-06, 21:11
When I was 16 I worked in a care home for the elderly and saw some terrible going on but with hindsight I wasn't confident enough to do anything about it then. I worked with one woman in particular who treated them very badly, if I saw her now.... The only thing that kept me going was the belief that I was doing my best and treating the people well. I shudder to think of it now.