PDA

View Full Version : Chip'n'Pin Cards

brokencross
08-Dec-04, 12:41
I was listening to BBC Radio 5Live yesterday and in their financial news bit, they metioned the fact that from January 1st 2005, most supermarkets, petrol stations etc would only accept the new Chip'n'Pin cards and that they would NOT accept Switch or suchlike where you sign the little docket thing. Apparently after Jan 1 the banks will hold the store responsible for any fraud if Chip'nPin is not used. Can anyone shed any more light on this subject. I have just been on the phone to B.O.S. and have organised my new card. Could prove rather embarrassing to have a full trolley of shopping or a tank full of petrol and find you cannot pay.

Zael
08-Dec-04, 12:58
Are not all cards issued in the last few of years not already equiped with a chip n pin? Certainly all my own cards since 2001 have been. Perhaps this date coincides with most old card renewal dates anyway?

jellybean
08-Dec-04, 13:43
I only got a chip and pin card a few months ago to replace my existing Switch card. My Switch card has a start date in 2002, and it's not chip and pin. I thought that all cards would be replaced by these new ones over a set period of time.

AR
08-Dec-04, 14:48
I got a new switch card from BOS injuly, it isnt chip'npin.My swithch from RBOS issued in 2001 is chip'n'pin tho...

linzy222
08-Dec-04, 14:57
I just thought u used your pin number u use at the bank when u take money out?

I have never used my switch at a store with the chip and pin yet so i don't know what to do yet either,I have used it at Lidl's coz u still sign a bit of paper there, but i noticed at woolies u have to enter your pin,

Do u just enter your pin u use at the cash machines or what???

Zael
08-Dec-04, 15:48
Yes, its the same pin as you enter at the cash machine.

I'm surprised to hear that the BOS is lagging so far behind the times.

Perhaps the chip n pin is something thats only being enforced by English banks and shops? The news from the BBC is usually only about england and wales these days, except, of course, for BBC Scotland.

brokencross
08-Dec-04, 16:36
Thanks for all your replies. I have done a little bit more digging and have found the definitive site that answers most of my questions. It is www.chipandpin.co.uk It is not as simple as you would think, you do need a suitable "new" card with the chip in it but you can use your existing PIN.

Rhubarb
08-Dec-04, 17:12
I live outwith Wick and am using my chip and pin already in most shops. I think they are less secure than signing your name. On several occasions I have either been typing in my number with someone behind me or have seen someone type in their number. It is much easier to see someone's number than when you are behind someone at a cash machine. I don't know where they got the idea that this is a secure system. If I had the balls I could've grabbed the card off the person outside and used it at the next cash machine. I have heard that you can change the number you use in shops to a different number from the one you use at cash machines but people could still nick your card and use it in a shop. At least with a signature the shop assisstant kinda had some proof that it was your card if your signature matched. Where is the proof now?! :confused

George Brims
08-Dec-04, 18:32
The problem with signatures is that I find here (California USA) the people in shops almost never compare the signature on the card to the scrawl I put on the piece of paper. Some people actually write "See ID" on their cards in place of a signature, forcing the person who does check to ask for your Driver's License, which has both signature and picture. Our bank is now issuing us new cards which have our picture right on the card, which will save that step. Of course the next big thing is, the chip on the card will have not only your picture but a retina scan and thumbprint. Oh and they are working on gadgets that can do an instant DNA check!