PDA

View Full Version : KW in the caithness postcode

Amy
20-Nov-11, 21:45
does anyone know what the KW stands for ?? my grandad asked me and i havent the foggyest!!

Thanks in advance x

brandy
20-Nov-11, 21:49
it stands for kirkwall.. also one of the reasons we have a hard time with the post..not considered mainland uk!

linnie612
20-Nov-11, 21:50
Not sure, but I think it is for Kirkwall in Orkney?

linnie612
20-Nov-11, 21:51
Oops, you got there before me, Brandy:)

Tilly Teckel
20-Nov-11, 22:07
Does seem a bit odd that there are no dedicated postcodes for Caithness, we just come under Kirkwall. Would have thought there should be WK... for Wick, TH... for Thurso for example. Anyone know why there isn't?

secrets in symmetry
20-Nov-11, 22:25
I imagine it's all to do with population.

If you think it's odd that Caithness comes under the Kirkwall postcode, spare a thought for the poor sods from Campbeltown, Bute, Islay & Jura (in the south and west) to Oban, Appin, Mull & Coll (in the north and west) who come under the Paisley (PA) postcode!

Living in Paisley would be bad enough, but living on Jura or Coll and having people think you live in Paisley would be Hell on Islands!

gerry4
20-Nov-11, 22:36
it is not so odd. You would of thought that Bedford & Bedfordshire would have its own post code but Bedford was under Millton Keynes, MK, even though MK is in Buckinghamshire.

sids
20-Nov-11, 22:47
it is not so odd. You would of thought that Bedford & Bedfordshire would have its own post code but Bedford was under Millton Keynes, MK, even though MK is in Buckinghamshire.

Reported: English!

gerry4
20-Nov-11, 22:58

what do you mean

Gronnuck
21-Nov-11, 00:33
Perhaps we should start a Facebook page called 'Let Caithness have its own Postcode' or 'Caithness should not be a Postcode appendage of Orkney'.

Tilly Teckel
21-Nov-11, 01:02
Actually, maybe we shouldn't rock the boat. At the moment I don't think the rest of the UK realise that anyone lives between Inverness and Orkney, and I quite like the anonymity!

Beat Bug
21-Nov-11, 01:24
what do you mean
You would have thought, not you would of thought. All part of the verb to 'be'

linnie612
21-Nov-11, 01:28

Is he? grrr

JamesMcVean
21-Nov-11, 05:00
When you order items from certain websites - they see the postcode KW and lump us all as extra postage costs. Even if it says free delivery to "Mainland" UK !!

theone
21-Nov-11, 07:26
When you order items from certain websites - they see the postcode KW and lump us all as extra postage costs. Even if it says free delivery to "Mainland" UK !!

And the same sites also charge extra to some IV (Inverness) and PA (Paisley) postcodes.

So this idea that getting rid of KW would suddenly result in a drop in postage prices is just wrong.

Norseman
21-Nov-11, 08:44
it stands for kirkwall.. also one of the reasons we have a hard time with the post..not considered mainland uk!

No its doesn't! it stand for Wick but as there was already a WK we got KW that's why Wick is KW1 Not Kirkwall which is probably KW16 or KW17 post codes always start at the PO they were set up for and radiate out from there the original sorting Office in Wick was the start at KW1 4AA The thing we should be asking is why Orkney shares our postcode?

theone
21-Nov-11, 09:27
No its doesn't! it stand for Wick but as there was already a WK we got KW that's why Wick is KW1 Not Kirkwall which is probably KW16 or KW17 post codes always start at the PO they were set up for and radiate out from there the original sorting Office in Wick was the start at KW1 4AA The thing we should be asking is why Orkney shares our postcode?

Wrong.

There was not, nor has there ever been, a WK postcode.

KW was always Kirkwall, chosen for geographical reasons when the country was being "split up". Golspie got put in the northern KW, Dornoch in the southern IV.

I assume Wick got KW1 as the biggest town in the KW area?

http://www.zippostalcodes.com/postcodes/uk/uk-postcodes-history/
http://www.zippostalcodes.com/postcodes/uk/uk-postcodes-area-list/

theone
21-Nov-11, 09:48
A bit off topic, but the Theatre Royal in bath has the postcode Ba11et !

I wonder if that was by accident..........

RecQuery
21-Nov-11, 10:04
It's always annoyed me considering all but three of the seventeen KW postcodes are in Caithness (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KW_postcode_area). It does affect postage for some deliveries, I've tested with IV and KW codes and and in some situations IV is cheaper.

EDIT: If affects things like LinkedIn also, constantly shows me as being from Kirkwall.

ducati
21-Nov-11, 10:15
Completely off topic now but the fact is from a suppliers point of view, it does actually cost more to send stuff by courier north of Inverness (and west). Anyone not charging extra, and there are quite a few, is absorbing the extra cost. Presumably this means the goods are marginally more expensive for everyone.

Saying that, I love getting stuff delivered for free, which I did recently on a big heavy piece of kit from Bamford Trading on Ebay:D

theone
21-Nov-11, 10:32
It's always annoyed me considering all but three of the seventeen KW postcodes are in Caithness (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KW_postcode_area).

A bit of wikipedia editting required there I think, many of those postcodes listed as Caithness are actually in Sutherland.

It does affect postage for some deliveries, I've tested with IV and KW codes and and in some situations IV is cheaper.

Maybe there's a gap in the market for someone to open a delivery depot in Dornoch to recieve parcels then send them up to Caithness for a small fee?

Phill
21-Nov-11, 10:44
The problem really is the different systems used to identify and charge for postage by carriers.

Some things are free regardless, woohoo!
Some KW postcodes are surcharged.
Some KW are recognised as Orkney and are either not serviced or surcharged.
Some just add a day or two extra / downgrade service.
Randomly, we get items sent to our in laws (KW6) as that is as far North as the ‘Computer’ will allow.
(this has been cases when KW1, KW3 are considered offshore but KW6 isn’t)

A postcode change isn’t going to make the problems go away, if anything it will highlight to many where we are and then we’ll get surcharged for everything.
It’s needs a bit of research and collective evidence gathering. i.e. Dabs.com went from free delivery to £10 charge because we were on Mars or wherever, but then delivered it Royal Mail for £2.80!
But, as with many, I think this was classed as Packing & Postage. Cheeky Bar Stewards.
With collaboration with other ‘Offshore’ rural areas and via MP’s maybe pressure can be brought to ensure traders offer a Royal Mail service where the size / weight allows. And stupid errors like blanket refusal because all KW is ‘offshore’ and issues like the KW6 v KW1 delivery is addressed.

theone
21-Nov-11, 10:50
With collaboration with other ‘Offshore’ rural areas and via MP’s maybe pressure can be brought to ensure traders offer a Royal Mail service where the size / weight allows.

Pressure might be brought, and awareness raised, but I can't see how traders could ever be forced to use royal mail.

Many companies will have a contract with a single courier (cheapest for them) and the loss of customers in the highlands/islands isn't big enough to justify changing contracts.

I've said it before, but we've been spoiled in the past with the royal mail "one price anywhere" policy. Imagine if taxis or train tickets worked this way!

Amy
21-Nov-11, 11:03
wow how lucky is that!!

Phill
21-Nov-11, 11:35
Pressure might be brought, and awareness raised, but I can't see how traders could ever be forced to use royal mail.I agree, we can't force companies and traders to send their goods a certain way, but with pressure and awareness the negative can be turned into a positive. A Direct.gov or trading standards led campaign where companies can promote themselves via where and how they deliver.
Effectively you can embarrass those who have not thought about their delivery system into doing something.

Many companies will have a contract with a single courier (cheapest for them) and the loss of customers in the highlands/islands isn't big enough to justify changing contracts.
Again awareness might help. I know how parcel delivery contracts are negotiated and can see why some companies just right off certain areas. But it doesn't take much to reroute parcels at source.

Do some of these companies have any idea of the areas / population their writing off from their customer base?

I look online for certain things and if I find a company that will not deliver or massively surcharges I move on to the next. I can't be bothered trying to get hold of the decision maker to explain that A, there is life north of Glasgow. B, I wouldn't mind waiting an extra day or two for delivery. C, I don't mind paying a couple of quid extra but not huge sums i.e. where you see delivery go from free to £25 or worse.

Many online traders pitch things with next day delivery or nothing, these are the ones who often write off or surcharge heavily. Why not have a second option of 3-4 delivery or the Royal Mail cost plus a couple of quid to get it to the post office.
For many things I would guess a £5 surcharge would be workable and acceptable, as often it will still keep the overall price lower than the competition.

RecQuery
21-Nov-11, 12:15
I use Amazon or their marketplace almost exclusively at this point for anything that isn't a download product, unless there's a major price difference or they don't have what I'm looking for. I've had some things posted via Royal Mail reach me the next day when it was a 3-5 day estimated delivery time.

colingel
21-Nov-11, 15:42
I use Amazon when every possible.Never been a mention of surcharge..

Duncansby
21-Nov-11, 19:31
If you haven't seen the Groat yet this week there is an article about high delivery charges and work the CAB are doing in order to tackle it. Also available online: http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/News/Rip-off-delivery-charge-firms-cause-anger-in-Caithness-18112011.htm

Kodiak
21-Nov-11, 19:52
If you haven't seen the Groat yet this week there is an article about high delivery charges and work the CAB are doing in order to tackle it. Also available online: http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/...s-18112011.htm.

Your Link does not work as it only comes up with "Bad Request".

Commore
22-Nov-11, 17:35
Does seem a bit odd that there are no dedicated postcodes for Caithness, we just come under Kirkwall. Would have thought there should be WK... for Wick, TH... for Thurso for example. Anyone know why there isn't?

We come under Kirkwall too and we are in Sutherland! :)

Norseman
22-Nov-11, 19:10
Wrong.

There was not, nor has there ever been, a WK postcode.

KW was always Kirkwall, chosen for geographical reasons when the country was being "split up". Golspie got put in the northern KW, Dornoch in the southern IV.

I assume Wick got KW1 as the biggest town in the KW area?

http://www.zippostalcodes.com/postcodes/uk/uk-postcodes-history/
http://www.zippostalcodes.com/postcodes/uk/uk-postcodes-area-list/

No I am sorry the one but you are wrong it may refer to Kirkwall these days as it is now one of the main sorting offices how ever when it was set up it referred to Wick as the main post office lucky I still have a copy of an early post code map produced by Royal mail to show you it makes no sense to call a postcode after a town then start the numbering somewhere else

toffee_pie
22-Nov-11, 22:18
No post codes in Ireland :p (apart from Dublin)

so our 'roots' are well established. Its not uncommon in Ireland for postmen to memorise clans as some towns could have dozens of the same name family to get mail

secrets in symmetry
23-Nov-11, 00:46
No I am sorry the one but you are wrong it may refer to Kirkwall these days as it is now one of the main sorting offices how ever when it was set up it referred to Wick as the main post office lucky I still have a copy of an early post code map produced by Royal mail to show you it makes no sense to call a postcode after a town then start the numbering somewhere elseGreat post Norseman! I bet no-one expected proof like that. :cool:

I note from your map that Kirkcaldy has a KY2 postcode - not KY1 as I would expect - unless the map isn't very accurate.

golach
23-Nov-11, 01:17
Great post Norseman! I bet no-one expected proof like that. :cool:

I note from your map that Kirkcaldy has a KY2 postcode - not KY1 as I would expect - unless the map isn't very accurate.

KY1 is Kirkcaldy

http://www.postcodearea.co.uk/postaltowns/kirkcaldy/

secrets in symmetry
23-Nov-11, 01:28
It seems that KY1 and KY2 are both Kirkcaldy. Norseman's map is a trifle simplified - as might be expected.

Not that it's at all important....

sandyr1
23-Nov-11, 04:05
Parcels sent from here to Caithness & Orkney are the same price

theone
23-Nov-11, 09:14
No I am sorry the one but you are wrong it may refer to Kirkwall these days as it is now one of the main sorting offices how ever when it was set up it referred to Wick as the main post office lucky I still have a copy of an early post code map produced by Royal mail to show you it makes no sense to call a postcode after a town then start the numbering somewhere else

I stand corrected. I couldn't find anything that had KW down as wick. Great spot.

It does raise the questions why not WK and why/when did it change?

porshiepoo
23-Nov-11, 13:21
does anyone know what the KW stands for ?? my grandad asked me and i havent the foggyest!!

Thanks in advance x

Well it certainly ain't Key West, it's ruddy freezing here today! My nails are Blue!!!!!!!!

Bazeye
23-Nov-11, 13:29
I was born in Lancashire, havent moved but now, apparently live in Cumbria. Cumbria postcode is CA, but mines still the Lancashire one LA. :confused

theone
23-Nov-11, 14:06
I was born in Lancashire, havent moved but now, apparently live in Cumbria. Cumbria postcode is CA, but mines still the Lancashire one LA. :confused

CA is Carlisle, LA Lancaster. Postcodes are generally based on towns, not areas.

Bazeye
23-Nov-11, 15:17
http://www.forl.co.uk/

theone
23-Nov-11, 16:11
http://www.forl.co.uk/

I'm not sure I get it? The link says

Royal Mail have confirmed that people living in any part of the county can now include Lancashire in their address, without this affecting the way that mail is handled, providing the post code is used.