PDA

View Full Version : Marine or Maroon?

secrets in symmetry
19-Nov-11, 18:57
A mate was telling me last night about the Marine 5 project in Caithness. At first, I thought he was taking the proverbial - because I misheard the company name as Maroon 5! I looked it up on the web when I got home, and it seems it is for real.

It sounds like a brilliant idea to me. Can anyone tell us about it? How is the project going? Does it have moves like Jagger? :cool:

I realise that some aspects may be commercial in confidence - but hopefully not the Jagger bit lol.

JamesMcVean
19-Nov-11, 19:43
Bloody hell - didnt realise there was such a project!
I know Bill Mcgil and GOOD LUCK to them with this ambitious project!
Knowing the power of the Pentland Firth first hand - (Worked for 7 years at the Flotta Oil Terminal) and travelled to and fro in all sorts of weather - It makes sense that tidal/wave power be utilised over hit or miss wind power!

Here is a link to their site http://www.marine5.com/about-the-pentland-firth-and-orkney-waters-development-sites/about-our-team/

Mystical Potato Head
19-Nov-11, 20:27
A mate was telling me last night about the Marine 5 project in Caithness. At first, I thought he was taking the proverbial - because I misheard the company name as Maroon 5! I looked it up on the web when I got home, and it seems it is for real.

It sounds like a brilliant idea to me. Can anyone tell us about it? How is the project going? Does it have moves like Jagger? :cool:

I realise that some aspects may be commercial in confidence - but hopefully not the Jagger bit lol.

Do you mean to say there is actually something you admit to not knowing anything about?
A subject that you cant arrogantly dismiss others comments because you know nothing about it yourself?
I'm in a state of shock,nay,bewilderment.I'll just have to go back to using Google and Wiki for all future info because i thought you were THE oracle.

secrets in symmetry
19-Nov-11, 20:28
Knowing the power of the Pentland Firth first hand - (Worked for 7 years at the Flotta Oil Terminal) and travelled to and fro in all sorts of weather - It makes sense that tidal/wave power be utilised over hit or miss wind power!

Here is a link to their site http://www.marine5.com/about-the-pentland-firth-and-orkney-waters-development-sites/about-our-team/
Yes, it looks like a great project, and at the right time too. I spy a few familiar faces from the crew adjoining some local playing fields on that site.

sandyr1
19-Nov-11, 23:32
I dunno! Been following the 'wave theory'.
Cannot figure out what they are doing......Bonus bucks from the Gov't tho!

Marine5
21-Nov-11, 10:33

Hi,

Yes the project is very real. The project details are all on the Marine5 website (www.marine5.com) so i won't go over that part here. The project is progressing well and certainly creating a fair bit of discussion within the Marine Renewable Utility/Developer community. We are working on the conclusions of the independent feasibility study that we commissioned with The Environmental Research Institute (ERI). A number of Utilities/Developers contacted by the ERI asked us to demonstrate to them why the need for a single local control centre and why they could not manage their assets from their various existing wind farm control centres. They of course also asked us to prove that they would save money by doing so.

It is our belief that carrying out installation/maintenance tasks in a marine environment is significantly more dangerous than on an onshore wind farm. Theses tasks must be carried out with local seafaring knowledge and metocean conditions as a core safety input. For the industry to be successful, local 'windows of opportunity' will need to be utilised to their maximum, but not at the cost of personnel safety.

I'd be interested in peoples views on this aspect.

Never heard of Maroon5 until after we started our project but 'Moves like Jagger' is now our unofficial company tune, wish them all success and i hope they reciprocate!

Marine5
21-Nov-11, 10:39

Thanks James, It is certainly ambitious, but as you know with your Changelings it becomes a labour of love once 'you believe'

Marine5
21-Nov-11, 10:42
As an after thought, for those interested in what's happening with Marine Renewables in the Pentland Firth, see www.pentlandfirthrenewables.co.uk

sandyr1
22-Nov-11, 21:55
Maroon 5 is a Rock Band from the US>>>>> Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

secrets in symmetry
23-Nov-11, 01:08
Thanks for the quick response Marine5. :cool:

I think it's great that a local company is doing this. We've long heard about jobs for Caithness in the renewable energy sector, but wind farms have sprung up all over without providing much long term employment locally (or so I'm led to believe). Marine energy should surely be different because the technology (and especially its deployment) is new.

I especially like the obvious acronym for Pentland Firth Renewables (PFR) - but you might need a bit of help from Google Analytics (or its like) to get to the top of the hit list for searches like "PFR Caithness"!