PDA

View Full Version : How did you end up where your living?

cuddlepop
21-Oct-06, 19:41
Its too wet to go out this evening so it got me thinking,Wish is living here because of hubby's job and I'm here because I married a local man who wouldn't move and still here because of my youngest.
Deep down at times I wish i'd have said stuff it. I've always wanted to live in Canada and still do.
How did you end up where you are and have you any regrets.?

willowbankbear
21-Oct-06, 19:44
Moved in with Bingobabe then got wed to her.

cuddlepop
21-Oct-06, 19:46
But how did you end up there Wbb.I ended up on Skye because of a summer college placement,met my X and got stuck here.:eek:

Kingetter
21-Oct-06, 19:47
Its too wet to go out this evening so it got me thinking,Wish is living here because of hubby's job and I'm here because I married a local man who wouldn't move and still here because of my youngest.
Deep down at times I wish i'd have said stuff it. I've always wanted to live in Canada and still do.
How did you end up where you are and have you any regrets.?

Escapism and only that - nothing more to add.

willowbankbear
21-Oct-06, 19:51
Because I have lived in Wick for the last 21+ years(well ok all my days) Its not too far from my mams either or BB`s mams so were quite lucky the council put us here

Cedric Farthsbottom III
21-Oct-06, 20:03
Came up from Ayrshire to Thurso for a job,ended up staying.Came through to the Waterfront and met obiron dancin to some rave music.After a whirlwind romance moved to Ullapool with her,then moved back to Wick to bring up oor boys.:lol: :lol:

Piglet
21-Oct-06, 20:31
Came up for the weekend to stay at sisters.

meet my man & got engaged within 3 months & stayed here - now here 11 yrs - from a far away land - Golspie. lol :lol:

connieb19
21-Oct-06, 20:39
I've always stayed here...how boring. :(

Cedric Farthsbottom III
21-Oct-06, 20:40

Not boring at all connie,a true Weeker!!!!:lol:

coastown
21-Oct-06, 21:00
Moved Up Here As My Hubby Belonged Wick

willowbankbear
21-Oct-06, 21:58
[quote=connieb19;149277]I've always stayed here...how boring. /quote]

I agree:cool: HOw boring, 1 year more than me, how do you get out of this place? we are condemned:~(

jemmima-june
21-Oct-06, 22:21
[quote=connieb19;149277]I've always stayed here...how boring. /quote]

I agree:cool: HOw boring, 1 year more than me, how do you get out of this place? we are condemned:~(

Dont you believe it
The same road out is the same road back and i have been to Dornoch, Charring Cross, Helensburgh, Barrow in Furnace, Plymouth Portsmouth ,Rosyth and still came home........ as Dorothy once said "There is no Place like Home".......and i bounced back and forth for many years

footie chick
21-Oct-06, 22:26
Lived in Caithness all my life must admit other places are brilliant for a break but will always come back to Caithness.
Unless I reach 55 and alrealy like life in Australia or New Zealand then I would seriously consider Never coming back.;)

WeeBurd
21-Oct-06, 23:00
I'm from Caithness, it's MrBurd that made the sacrifice and moved north, all in the name of love, ahhhh.... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_3_18.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSXXXXXX40US)

Then came four-legged furry baby > mortgage > marriage > WeeBurdies.

I know that we will have to move at some point in the future, but we'll never stray too far away ;) !

sweetpea
21-Oct-06, 23:19
my friend had a boyfriend from Caithness and I wanted one so I got one and it was a disaster but we parted company and he wanted me to leave here but I wouldn't, now he has lol

airdlass
21-Oct-06, 23:37
Was in a refuge in Aberdeen and got allocated this house - still here 12 years later.

golach
21-Oct-06, 23:54
Married a Leither, they are the salt of the Earth, been here ever since and both my Sons are Leithers:D

JAWS
22-Oct-06, 01:19
Came north, terrified myself on the braes and never raised the courage to go south and risk them again! ;)

And now for something completely different, I'll tell the truth. I helped somebody move to Caithness, took one look round, liked what I saw, liked the people and after a time shuffling back and forth between here and Manchester, finally made my mind up, left madness behind and chose sanity.

I came, I saw, I was conquered and I haven't regretted it for one second.

oldmarine
22-Oct-06, 01:33
My wife wanted to get closer to where two of our three daughters live, so we sold out and moved to Tucson, Arizona.

Moira
22-Oct-06, 01:51

Came north, terrified myself on the braes and never raised the courage to go south and risk them again! ;)

And now for something completely different, I'll tell the truth. I helped somebody move to Caithness, took one look round, liked what I saw, liked the people and after a time shuffling back and forth between here and Manchester, finally made my mind up, left madness behind and chose sanity.

I came, I saw, I was conquered and I haven't regretted it for one second.

Not boring at all Connie - if it's OK for you, me, JAWS & the Queen Mother, it can't be all bad. OK - the Queen Mother might be dead, but I'll bet you anything, she spent some of her best days up here!

Jaws would know - he is, allegedly, Royalty ....

henry20
22-Oct-06, 01:59
I was brought up in the country - lived in 2 different houses about 400 yards apart, but country's not for me, so as soon as I could, I moved to Thurso - was nearer to the pub :lol: don't think I'd ever move now, but you never know.

Gleber2
22-Oct-06, 02:46
The luck of the Devil. No other reason can I find for ending up here.

JAWS
22-Oct-06, 04:07
Jaws would know - he is, allegedly, Royalty ....I declare Caithness to be the most wonderful place on Earth - By Royal Decree!" :lol: :lol:

motopitcrew
23-Oct-06, 07:52
Just unlucky i guess i hate caithness got draged up here as a kid when my mother remarried after the death of my father. why do i stay because i love my kids and have to do whats best for them. but first chance i get im out o here

paris
23-Oct-06, 09:08
stuck a pin in the map when we lived in kent and found boston lincolnshire, met a couple who are mad as hatters who brought a place in lybster that needed renovating, came up with them for a holiday, loved it and also moved to caithness, fell out with friends and moved back to lincs, made friends again and want to come back to caithness but hubbys not so sure YET !! jan x

scotty_mags
23-Oct-06, 09:13
I was born & brought up in Wick......still have brothers & sisters there.....
I moved to England over 18yrs ago when hubby got transfer with his job......at time no jobs in Wick but now looking at expansion plans not a bad place to live.......:D

porshiepoo
23-Oct-06, 09:31
Long story BUT had a council flat in Hucknall, Notts but managed to do an exchange as it was a nightmare negotiating stairs with twins and buggy, so exchanged to a 2 bedroom house in Beeston, notts. Neighbour turned out to be a maltese nutter (Literally: He had spent time in Rampton) and after he assaulted me and threatened the kids we exchanged to a 3 bedroom house in Boston, Lincs which we bought for a piddling amount.
Came over to the west on holiday and liked it so we bought the Buildit magazine and found this place listed for a mere 20 grand. Offered the people less than that for it without looking at the place and then when they accepted we figured we'd better come up and take a look. We also made an offer on a place in Orkney but the estate agent wouldn't accept the offer until we'd seen the place - Thank god! It was a dive and we turned it down. Anyways, we saw this place, hubby loved it and I hated it. Thought Caithness was rather brutal scenery wise compared to Fortwilliam area (which is what I was used to) but bit by bit it grew on me and now I couldn't even contemplate moving from here. Caithness is home and I love it for it's rugged scenery, it's people, it's quietness, it's history and the fact that we could afford 4 acres close to the sea. :D

Moggy Cattermole
23-Oct-06, 10:31
Live in Amsterdam .. moved last year as I work Offshore and to be honest was sad to see the way things were going in the UK .. Now have a Dutch Girfriend and cant see myself leaving .. Language is a bit tricky though !!

cuddlepop
23-Oct-06, 11:35
There's some brilliant story's here,thanks everyone.:D

Razz
23-Oct-06, 22:32
Got fed up with it taking 10 minutes to get to work and then upwards of an hour and a half to get home. Fed with with London getting nearer to where we used to live and the M25 is a nightmare. Wanted a place on the west coast could not afford it so we moved to the far north. And to think we origanlly wanted to move to Norfolk. Talk about reading the wrong map and moving here instead. Still wehave no regrets and would not move back.

wifie
23-Oct-06, 22:43
Moved because hubs got job down here. Moved for that reason quite a few times in the last few years. Hated it at first but has fair improved my geography (which was dire). Never enjoy the making friends and integrating into the community as I am fairly shy and always seem to have to move when I start to get into things. Mind you have been here quite a while now and as we are fairly central the old man can change jobs without me having to pack up the whole household (another plus point is we now keep nothing that is either use or ornament).
Find too that the older I get the more I appreciate my hols to Caithness to visit the rellies!

Bobinovich
23-Oct-06, 23:18
Came up on holiday from Sheffield with mum & sister to see mum's old flame. Didn't like him or his kids but we loved the place and moved to Murkle soon after. We were in Castletown for a few years and then moved to Thurso, and now couldn't prise me out with a crowbar or offer of money. Settled with a local lass & happily raising 2 rugrats!

Wizzbang
24-Oct-06, 04:48
Offered a job at Dounreay. in 82
Comming from a city (Liverpool) this was like a breath of fresh air.
Stayed ever since.

dunderheed
24-Oct-06, 09:27
moved up here from ayrshire when the safeway(somerfield) opened, reignighted a romance i had had a few months before with agirl from wick (obirons sister) now been married for 11 years with 2 rugrats, hersell would move but i like it here too much

squidge
24-Oct-06, 10:12
Lived near rochdale all my life but wanted to live in scotland then saw a job advertised with the organisation i worked for. Applied, had interview, got job and moved within 6 weeks with husband three kids cat dog and hamster!!!!!Never had been to caithness before the interview. Lived there for seven years during which time my marriage ended - stayed in Caithness for another two years, left my job, tried to study but then decided i needed to put some distance between things and i ran away to Governess. Took a leap of faith - found a house and kept my fingers crossed I would get a job which i did. Happily single i discovered The Bruce one wintery day and now he lives with me i wouldnt ever live anywhere else

robynaus
25-Oct-06, 00:44
Live in God's own Country.
Born Sydney live in Adelaide by choice Been lots of other places but always come back Now I stay as it's central for family they are all in the Defence Forces and scattered around the country and it's a BIG country Makes for great holidays though
Weather is good (most of the time) People friendly Wine is wonderful
Been as far north in Scotland as the Isle of Skye and Inverness. Didn't know much about the rellies from Keiss then or would have come further Oh well maybe in the future
If I had known about the rellies and this site would have visited. Nephew liked the area when he visited with his bagpipes eaelier this year
Regards to all

George Brims
25-Oct-06, 01:55
Went to Uni in Edinburgh, a year in Newcastle and back up there to a job in the same University, then moved to the Royal Observatory (or as a wifie on the bus once said "They green gasometer things on Blackford Hill"). After a few years they transferred me to Hawaii (well, heck, *somebody* had to go!). After 4.5 yrs there a colleague (also Scottish) got a chance to start a new group at the University of California, LA, and offered me the chance to come and work with him. 17 yrs later and I'm still here (and still plotting how to get back to Hawaii!).

cuddlepop
25-Oct-06, 12:24
Lucky you George:D

Kingetter
25-Oct-06, 13:49
Wonder what Wish might say if asked this same question in say 6 months or a year's time.

cuddlepop
25-Oct-06, 13:54
She's actually moved here at the worst possible time.Like I said to her ,if you can get through this winter you'll be fine.:eek:

canuck
25-Oct-06, 20:46
When my husband arrived home from a Rotary meeting one day about 20 years ago he repeated some of the statistics which the chairman of the local school board quoted in a presentation. The speaker boasted that our county spent the least amount per student on education in the province. I updated my CV that very evening and was job hunting the next day. These things move slowly in the church, but about a year later we ended up in Burlington. Both children received a world class education here and for that I am extremely thankful.

Tom Cornwall
27-Oct-06, 00:21
born in Selkirk, brought up in Lybster, joined the RAF, did 5 years, joined the Met Office, did 2 years in Lerwick, came to Wick in '71, stayed 22 years till they closed the office at the airport, moved to Norfolk in '93 and here we are. not moving!!!