PDA

View Full Version : What is the Caithness Influence?

achingale
17-Nov-11, 20:12
I read the post on the Literature part of this forum about the new Caithness book The Caithness Influence, but what is it about Caithness that influences you? Does it influence you? Does it inspire you? For me, the answer is yes. I do photography and I love the open spaces and huge skies. Growing up I felt safe and did not give a moments thought that what we were doing was dangerous in the slightest (climbing the rocks and cliffs - sorry mum) but I loved being part of the landscape and I guess that is why I love taking photographs. I feel part of Caithness and it is part of me.

orkneycadian
17-Nov-11, 20:14
It inspires me to hurry up and get to Gills to get on the boat! ;) [lol]

achingale
17-Nov-11, 20:23
It inspires me to hurry up and get to Gills to get on the boat! ;) [lol]

Orkney is your home so I would expect nothing less, and quite rightly so! Aye, I have taken a fair few photos on Mainland Orkney and Hoy, but not had the chance to do the other islands as yet. I will though!

Phill
17-Nov-11, 22:27
Old Pulteney!

Influences me, probably will do later too when I start throwing bricks at the tellybox during Question Time.

secrets in symmetry
19-Nov-11, 01:03
I saw the post on the Literature thread, and I duly followed the link.

Then I read that David Graham Scott was listed in the book. At that point I laughed so much that I almost cried.

I can list at least a hundred modern day Caithnessians who've done more for our world (and our county) than that prat.

pat
19-Nov-11, 11:40
S-i-s

Well go on name at least a hundred modern day Caithnessians who have done more for our world - at least Valerie has taken the time and a lot of effort to produce a book, you can only pour scorn.

Your tag says it all!

secrets in symmetry
19-Nov-11, 13:14
You want me to do Valerie's work for her lol?

She may have put in a lot of effort, but with that Scott she got the wrong answer. She should have realised this, and gone off to find the right answer.

JamesMcVean
19-Nov-11, 13:44
David Graham Scott - Bafta Award nominated director
S-I-S - What have you achieved that is better?

John Little
19-Nov-11, 14:41
The Caithness influence is in the quality of the light and the breadth of the sky. It's in the sweep across the moors and the force of the wind on your face. The smell of the sea, the wetness of the drizzle. The clean-ness of the streets and the washed appearance of the scenery. The iron bound coast and the waves crashing on it.

And in its people, the feel of community, the welcome, the open-ness and the down to earth nature of their world view. (well- most of 'em) The hardiness and the coping with the elements; the practicality of them.

There is simply no place like it, in looks or feel, and like a shot of caffeine, I need to be there every now and then.

I incline to be lyrical - but the question was asked.

achingale
06-Jan-12, 11:02
Ok S-I-S, who would you have put in the book instead of Scott? And who did she miss out that you think should have been in it, bearing in mind she does qualify the fact that there was not enough room in one book for everyone she researched, and I know she had to stick within the publisher's remit?