PDA

View Full Version : Org Membership

Kingetter
21-Oct-06, 15:09
I don't know how many look at the figures, but as of a couple of minutes ago we have - Members: 3,003, Active Members: 1,152. That's quite a number isn't it? Cause for some celebration maybe?
If so, I think it should be free drinks at the pub - that will save acameron the trouble as he says "Its my round" .. I find this very difficult to say when Im sober or drunk":D

Has this figure (3,003) been reached before does anyone know?

Colin Manson
21-Oct-06, 18:10
It was 4000 a few months ago before we deleted the old accounts.

I've just cleared a few more non-activated accounts, so it's now 2,997.

Piglet
21-Oct-06, 18:40
So we need 3 more before celebrations can start then. :(

ah well why not celebrate anyway for having a great community. :Razz

Kingetter
21-Oct-06, 19:25
It was 4000 a few months ago before we deleted the old accounts.

I've just cleared a few more non-activated accounts, so it's now 2,997.

Thanks Colin. Still, quite a good number and climbing.

sapphire
21-Oct-06, 22:14
Surely Kingetter its 'quality' as opposed to 'quantity' you should be thinking about! ;)

Kingetter
21-Oct-06, 22:18
Surely Kingetter its 'quality' as opposed to 'quantity' you should be thinking about! ;)

No problem with that - are you saying we need to improve ourselves or 'checkout' new members?
I figure the more we get, the more diverse will be the feelings and views.
Of course, there will be more lurkers.
I'm really just interested to see that we're on the up rather than the down.

sapphire
21-Oct-06, 22:27
No problem with that - are you saying we need to improve ourselves or 'checkout' new members?
I figure the more we get, the more diverse will be the feelings and views.
Of course, there will be more lurkers.
I'm really just interested to see that we're on the up rather than the down.

Nothing wrong with a little improvement...that's what I always say!
But you can't change people....not that i want to......after all not all changes are for the better![lol]

sweetpea
21-Oct-06, 23:27
I think the org should be for anyone, so that you get a variety of opinions not just the same old, same old

sapphire
22-Oct-06, 13:00
I think the org should be for anyone, so that you get a variety of opinions not just the same old, same old

Of course the org should be for everyone! Believe me, my tongue was firmly in my cheek when I made the 'quality not quantity' comment![lol]

Excuse me while I now go and remove my foot from my mouth!!:lol:

Ricco
22-Oct-06, 14:12
Sapphy, I'm sure that it is merely a dainty little toe, and not your foot. I'm sure that there must be many lurkers (there must be a more attractive and delicate name than that) who would bump up the numbers considerably. There are a couple of old friends from Thurso who are currently active watchers but have yet to join in.

Kingetter
22-Oct-06, 14:21
Sapphy, I'm sure that it is merely a dainty little toe, and not your foot. I'm sure that there must be many lurkers (there must be a more attractive and delicate name than that) who would bump up the numbers considerably. There are a couple of old friends from Thurso who are currently active watchers but have yet to join in.

Observers?

Ricco
22-Oct-06, 14:23
Observers?

Hi, Kingetter. Well, that could be an alternative, couldn't it? I feel that lurkers sounds a bit derogatry, don't you?

Kingetter
22-Oct-06, 14:26
Hi, Kingetter. Well, that could be an alternative, couldn't it? I feel that lurkers sounds a bit derogatry, don't you?

Hi there Ricco, yes, not a nice term really - lurkers, though apt maybe. Sideliners is another phrase but all in all, they mean the same and make a point. Of course, we all lurk at some time I suppose - even briefly?

changilass
22-Oct-06, 14:27
So we are getting PC on the PC now:lol:

Kingetter
22-Oct-06, 16:20
Begins to look like it:roll:

canuck
22-Oct-06, 19:44
Orgservers?

Kingetter
22-Oct-06, 19:52
Sure, why not?

golach
22-Oct-06, 20:03
With respect, the ones sitting on the sidelines named themselves, and I will think of them as "Lurkers", as thats what they are doing, and depriving themselves of the fun of the .Org

cuddlepop
22-Oct-06, 20:10
How about Fence sitters?.Afterall they are watching just not taking part.Lurkers sounds a bit creepy:eek:

Kingetter
22-Oct-06, 20:11
How about Fence sitters?.Afterall they are watching just not taking part.Lurkers sounds a bit creepy:eek:
Bit pointed isn't it?:D

canuck
22-Oct-06, 20:17

I agree with the "creepy" sound of the term "lurker". With a five hour time change I am often on at night with very few others. Most of them appear to be lurkers. You have no idea how comforting it is to discover that people with names like JAWS and Madpict are also on. They kind of act like a line of defence between me and those creepy sounding lurkers.

Kingetter
22-Oct-06, 20:34
Does lurker sound anyway like stalker?

Andy Coyne
22-Oct-06, 20:41
I feel that lurkers sounds a bit derogatry...

I would have thought something a bit derogatory would be a good thing, should help to flush them out and get 'em posting [evil]
It worked with me :roll:

Andy

Kingetter
22-Oct-06, 20:51
I would have thought something a bit derogatory would be a good thing, should help to flush them out and get 'em posting [evil]
It worked with me :roll:

Andy

But have they anything to contribute?

Andy Coyne
22-Oct-06, 20:55

I could take that the wrong way;) :D

Andy

Kingetter
22-Oct-06, 20:58
I could take that the wrong way

Andy

Ah! But you's not a lurker now - you came and contributed (not sure what exactly but summat).:lol:

sapphire
22-Oct-06, 21:02
I was a lurker for a while ...but I'm having such fun now! :lol: ...my family think I've gone quite mad! ...Perhaps I always was!

Oh and my knowledge is increasing in leaps and bounds....so all you 'lurkers' get yourselves a 'name' and get in here....you won't regret it! ..promise!:lol:

Kingetter
22-Oct-06, 21:06
I was a lurker for a while ...but I'm having such fun now! :lol: ...my family think I've gone quite mad! ...Perhaps I always was!

Oh and my knowledge is increasing in leaps and bounds....so all you 'lurkers' get yourselves a 'name' and get in here....you won't regret it! ..promise!:lol:

Come on folks - you heard the lady!

Piglet
22-Oct-06, 22:11
I must admit i was a lurker too for a while but when i took the plunge there is no going back. ;)

It's well worth taking the plunge - go on you know you want to.

JAWS
22-Oct-06, 22:20
But would any sane and sensible person want to associate themselves with any Organisation which let me in? :eek:

sapphire
22-Oct-06, 22:24
But would any sane and sensible person want to associate themselves with any Organisation which let me in? :eek:

Ah Jaws ...now I have you!...What did you do in the past?..It came up on another thread earlier and no-one would tell me!...so hows about it?:lol:

Kingetter
22-Oct-06, 22:24
I just knew your real name was Marx!;)

JAWS
22-Oct-06, 23:38
Ah Jaws ...now I have you!...What did you do in the past?..It came up on another thread earlier and no-one would tell me!...so hows about it?:lol:Before I took Human Form I was an alien on the run from the Men in Black. I'm just hoping that they don't think to search for me this far north. :D

sapphire
22-Oct-06, 23:48
Before I took Human Form I was an alien on the run from the Men in Black. I'm just hoping that they don't think to search for me this far north. :D

Somehow I think that there's more of them on here than we realise!
Maybe even myself included!;)

cuddlepop
23-Oct-06, 12:56
We're back over the 3000 mark now.Wonder if we're the most logged in(not good English but dont no how else to put it)community web site in Scotland?:)

sapphire
23-Oct-06, 13:01
We're back over the 3000 mark now.Wonder if we're the most logged in(not good English but dont no how else to put it)community web site in Scotland?:)

I just hope we've encouraged a few to emerge from the shadows, out into the brightness which is regarded as The Org!
The more the merrier!:lol:

Ricco
23-Oct-06, 14:18

Oh and my knowledge is increasing in leaps and bounds....so all you 'lurkers' get yourselves a 'name' and get in here....you won't regret it! ..promise!

Saffy - I see you have managed to get your image into your sig. Well done. I guess we were all lurkers for a while, time length probably varied quite a lot. I guess they will make their move when they are good and ready. :D

sapphire
23-Oct-06, 14:38
Saffy - I see you have managed to get your image into your sig. Well done. I guess we were all lurkers for a while, time length probably varied quite a lot. I guess they will make their move when they are good and ready. :D

Hi Ricco,
I've had a lot of help from loads of people on here and one kindly made the signature 'Sapphire' for me...how kind is that?
I'm glad I stopped lurking!

Ricco
23-Oct-06, 14:40
I'm glad I stopped lurking!

So are we. ;)

sapphire
23-Oct-06, 14:41
So are we. ;)

Gee...thanks, you are too kind Sir!:lol:

Ricco
23-Oct-06, 14:45
Gee...thanks, you are too kind Sir!:lol:

Not at all. :D

Kids back at school, then? I am now on half-term but I know Scotland had theirs last week.

sapphire
23-Oct-06, 14:47
Not at all. :D

Kids back at school, then? I am now on half-term but I know Scotland had theirs last week.

Sorry Ricco but my 'kids' are all grown up and so I no longer have to worry about school holidays!I do think they are back today though!:lol:

BMcGillivray
23-Oct-06, 16:17
Surely Kingetter its 'quality' as opposed to 'quantity' you should be thinking about!

When i see comments like this (regardless of jovial intent), im reminded of how much of a clique places like this can be at times.

Granted, its something thats unavoidable with community forums, so please dont take it as an insult :) it really isn't meant that way. It never would've been intentional... forums just have a natural tendency to end up that way.

Its just different types of people, some like to post a lot, some simply dont, or come into the conversation too late and have nothing left to contribute, as its all been said already...

Lurkers will remain lurkers, occasionally making a comment here and there... while there shall be those who post a lot, get to know each other here, and become a small community all their own within the community they represent... which is a good thing still.

Its just important to remember just how little of the local community a forum like this can truely represent. Thats especially important to keep in mind whenever posting on here to ask public opinion, when a forum cannot represent the majority of the communitys views, only a small number, therefore the results can be heavily skewed, in that sense, the views of this board, cannot be considered the views of the caithness community.

And even then, among the forum community itself, the number of members on the forum means nothing in regard to various polls and questions asked, as its always the vocal minority you hear, a small percentage of that 3000 that the posts represent... those with no opinion, or opinions contrary to those being vocal, will likely say nothing at all since they want to avoid hostility, therefore again, the views represented are skewed, but thats a very common problem, you only ever hear the most vocal, which are usually those who are "against" whatever it is in question.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
23-Oct-06, 16:34
When i see comments like this (regardless of jovial intent), im reminded of how much of a clique places like this can be at times.

Granted, its something thats unavoidable with community forums, so please dont take it as an insult :) it really isn't meant that way. It never would've been intentional... forums just have a natural tendency to end up that way.

Its just different types of people, some like to post a lot, some simply dont, or come into the conversation too late and have nothing left to contribute, as its all been said already...

Lurkers will remain lurkers, occasionally making a comment here and there... while there shall be those who post a lot, get to know each other here, and become a small community all their own within the community they represent... which is a good thing still.

Its just important to remember just how little of the local community a forum like this can truely represent. Thats especially important to keep in mind whenever posting on here to ask public opinion, when a forum cannot represent the majority of the communitys views, only a small number, therefore the results can be heavily skewed, in that sense, the views of this board, cannot be considered the views of the caithness community.

And even then, among the forum community itself, the number of members on the forum means nothing in regard to various polls and questions asked, as its always the vocal minority you hear, a small percentage of that 3000 that the posts represent... those with no opinion, or opinions contrary to those being vocal, will likely say nothing at all since they want to avoid hostility, therefore again, the views represented are skewed, but thats a very common problem, you only ever hear the most vocal, which are usually those who are "against" whatever it is in question.

Agree with ye saying that its a bit clique,cos the org is.Why?..because certain orgers have topics of discussion in common.So it looks like a clique,but only because certain orgers have the same outllook in life.I have still to meet an orger in person that I haven't had a good blether with.

There are threads that don't interest me,but the orger has taken the time out to query about it.So I'll read it but not post.There are folk who read for the goss,folk who post and enjoy.There are folk who want to post but feel they'll be shot down.Why?

This as I said to Bill and canuck is the best community forum in Scotland.....we have oor laughs and have oor arguments......but as we all see...we always come back!!!!:D

sapphire
23-Oct-06, 16:59
[quote=BMcGillivray;150088]When i see comments like this (regardless of jovial intent), im reminded of how much of a clique places like this can be at times.

Have you read the whole thread here?These comments were made with a tongue firmly stuck in our cheeks...as I have already said.I don't see the org as a clique, as anyone can join in ...its not like a club where people eye you suspiciously as you walk in the door...I've been there,done that & I'm not going back again!
It has taken me a while to get going on here and eveyone has made me feel welcome..from comments on threads to the pm's....why should it be different for anyone else?
Good friendships are being forged here all the time...so what if we don't always 'know' at the start the person we now call friend...and there is a lot of banter on the threads but and I'll say again ,but anyone can join in and the more the better, even if people only want to contribute a little,I'm sure they will be made most welcome!:)

canuck
23-Oct-06, 17:09
Agree with ye saying that its a bit clique,cos the org is.Why?..because certain orgers have topics of discussion in common.So it looks like a clique,but only because certain orgers have the same outllook in life.I have still to meet an orger in person that I haven't had a good blether with.

There are threads that don't interest me,but the orger has taken the time out to query about it.So I'll read it but not post.There are folk who read for the goss,folk who post and enjoy.There are folk who want to post but feel they'll be shot down.Why?

This as I said to Bill and canuck is the best community forum in Scotland.....we have oor laughs and have oor arguments......but as we all see...we always come back!!!!:D

Of course it is a clique, but one of the finest cliques that the world has to offer.

This clique encompasses a broad range of ages, backgrounds, opinions and friendships. It sort of bursts the doors on how a clique is typically defined, but we still are one.

When I joined I was convinced that most of the members had grown up together and knew one another well. Certainly they know one another, but most of it comes from their internet connections. An understanding of the the "in" jokes and common talk just comes with time. And when it is obvious that a newbie doesn't quite get the flow then a sympathetic orger usuallly sends a PM of explanation. Remember when I had DrSzin pegged as the manager of the Cincinnati Reds of the the National Baseball League? Really what he was talking about was Rob Fowler, football star. We live and learn and somehow all survive.

And from time to time we encourage the orgservers to join. That is a sign that we acknowledge their presence and are not in any way trying to exclude them. But for those who prefer to observe, that is okay. We more flamboyant types will continue to post.

Cedric I miss you pal. But this wonderful clique of ours keeps us together. I still remember the night we almost burned down Rheghead's house by leaving the cyber candles lit. Keep well, everyone keep well.

Ricco
23-Oct-06, 17:24
Personally, I think it is as much as, and as little as, any pub / club / neighbourhood around. People will join in, post their own conversations and simply sit and watch as befits their interest at that point. Its human nature and long may it be so. The great thing about the org is that it is such a nice community and everyone should be able to join in without worry. :)