PDA

View Full Version : Charity advertising

Kenn
17-Nov-11, 18:12
Is any one else like myself in questioning the amounts that must be spent on advertising certain charities in the media?
I wonder how much of the amounts requested actually get to fund any famine relief, wild life protection or the supply of mosquito nets and medicines etc.?
I am happy to support worthy causes and charities but only if I can verify that any monies are used for the right purpose and not just to support administration which has all too often been the case.
Whilst I appreciate that there is a need for charities to make us aware of the work they do, in the present economic climate when we are all having to be carefull with the pennies let alone the pounds how do they justify peak time advertsing on television and full page adverts in the press?

ducati
17-Nov-11, 19:32
Because, like any advertiser, they know they get a measurable return.

Iffy
17-Nov-11, 19:38
I must admit that I totally agree with you LIZZ.

We presently donate, via bank account (direct debit), to seven different charities, and although we are more than willing to do same, I do quite often wonder where our monies end up! As you've said, I know that "x" ammount goes toward administration, and whilst I can appreciate that said costs have to be covered, it goes against "the grain" to be asked time and time again for "upping" our standing orders !

One or two of the charities we donate to are, regulary, sending us beautifully coloured, glossy, brochures of what/who we are actually helping........IMHO the cost of the production of those leaflets/flyers would be much better spent in putting it back into the charity for which they're advertising !

Good thread LIZZ and well worth pondering over !

Garnet
18-Nov-11, 18:11
Yes LIZZ I also wonder about this, more so about the very large salaries the 'high-up' yins seem to get......for what, I ask myself, not knocking on doors or in the 'shop' selling!
However I do as a previous post(#2) said, believe....it does help bring in a little more, but see no reason for the inflated salaries talking of which, does anyone know if Terry Wogan will have his hand out for his usual £20k or just the £10k (he very charitably gave back £10k last year) He should have done it for free like most others IMHO!