PDA

View Full Version : Food allergy GRRRRRR

grantyg
21-Oct-06, 14:38
Well I have known for a few years that I have a food allergy to Cinnamon and Benzoates.
But after meeting a guy who had the same allergy he said he was also sensitive to "naturally occuring benzoic acid" and strawberrys do effect me.
So I did some research and found out that my lack of sense of smell is probably perennial rhinitis caused by benzoates.
So for the next few weeks I`m going to cut out everything that contains the stuff - the list is scary!

Berries – strawberries, raspberries, cranberries
Fruits – apricots, prunes, nectarines
Vegetables – broccoli, mixed peppers
Yoghurt
Cottage cheese
Feta cheese
Ground cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, anise
Ceylon tea
Cocoa
Mushrooms
Honey
Jams
Beer
Flavoured syrups and coffee
Fruit juice, pulp, puree, concentrate
Marinated/pickled fish
Pickles
Salad dressing
Some flavoured yoghurts
Margarine
Soft drinks
Caviar, prawns
Sauces – soy, barbeque, oyster
Margarine
Salad dressings
Olives, pickles
Jams and jellies
Fruit pies
Soft drinks
Candies
as well as the dark coloured alcohol that also contains it!

well looks like I`ll have fun - think of me as you guys are tucking into nice tasty treats!

Kingetter
21-Oct-06, 14:41
Well I have known for a few years that I have a food allergy to Cinnamon and Benzoates.
But after meeting a guy who had the same allergy he said he was also sensitive to "naturally occuring benzoic acid" and strawberrys do effect me.
So I did some research and found out that my lack of sense of smell is probably perennial rhinitis caused by benzoates.
So for the next few weeks I`m going to cut out everything that contains the stuff - the list is scary!

Berries – strawberries, raspberries, cranberries
Fruits – apricots, prunes, nectarines
Vegetables – broccoli, mixed peppers
Yoghurt
Cottage cheese
Feta cheese
Ground cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, anise
Ceylon tea
Cocoa
Mushrooms
Honey
Jams
Beer
Flavoured syrups and coffee
Fruit juice, pulp, puree, concentrate
Marinated/pickled fish
Pickles
Salad dressing
Some flavoured yoghurts
Margarine
Soft drinks
Caviar, prawns
Sauces – soy, barbeque, oyster
Margarine
Salad dressings
Olives, pickles
Jams and jellies
Fruit pies
Soft drinks
Candies
as well as the dark coloured alcohol that also contains it!

well looks like I`ll have fun - think of me as you guys are tucking into nice tasty treats!

so after doing that, will you smell better?:lol:

Seriously, I hope it works for you. Good Luck.

canuck
21-Oct-06, 14:42
grantyg, good luck!

There isn't much left for you to eat but meat, poultry and fish. Please don't starve!

Buttercup
21-Oct-06, 14:49
Allergies are terrieble to live with and it can take a long while to find out what does and doesn't affect you.:( I wish you the best of luck. Meanwhile, Is it safe to drown your sorrows in a vodka or gin?;)

cuddlepop
21-Oct-06, 15:32
Maybe you wont be allergic to them all, its restricted diet if you are.
Why dont you avoid them all for a while then gradually introduce say I a week back in.

Kingetter
21-Oct-06, 15:37
Are you sure it is all allergy or maybe there's some food intolerance there? There's quite a difference.

orkneylass
21-Oct-06, 15:46
I was going to say the same - a true allergy is often life threatening with severe symptons including anaphylactic shock. Mose people have food intolerances that cause things like rhinitis, IBS etc. The trick is to concentrate on what you can eat rather than what you can't - the list will be much longer!

Cedric Farthsbottom III
21-Oct-06, 20:52
Used to like bananas until I met a Gorilla in Blackpool.

Piglet
21-Oct-06, 20:56
I know a few people that are allergic to peanuts, wheat, milk & alcohol.

Poor people, fortunately i havent found anything i am allergic too.

candyfloss
21-Oct-06, 21:31
I used to be allergic to egg yolks when i was little, i'm not sure if i still am because i've never touched it since.
And while i was in hospital a few years ago i went into anaphylactic shock when i was given a platlets transfusion, that was very scarey:eek: :eek:

grantyg
22-Oct-06, 09:45
I agree with the fact that it doesn`t cause anaphylaxia but having no sense of smell and a cracked tongue is a pain - apart from feeling tired and a bit dodgy after eating the listed foods. I just thought I would cut it out and see what the result is.
Serious allergies like peanut are very scary!

Lolabelle
22-Oct-06, 10:31
Hi, I have intollerances to Wheat! And that is a bit of pain. But at times I can tolerate some things if I don't over do it. I can only agree with what cuddlepop said. Then you may find that some things are tolerable in small doses and you wont feel quite so restricted. The only problem I have with doing this is that once I have something that I shouldn't, and get away with out too much problem, then I think "a bit more won't hurt..." But it always does if I go for that little bit more!
And I always try to remember that it never tastes as good in comparison to how lousy I feel when I've eaten wheat products. :confused