PDA

View Full Version : PC World: Their new PC's are future proof?

blueivy
21-Oct-06, 12:57
I just saw an interesting advert on TV from PC World with claims that the new Intel Duo 2 PC's are ... future proof?

I've advised people for years that if they don't really know what they want in a PC then they should avoid stores like PC World (Curry's etc.) at all costs. From my own experiences and the numerous experiences of customers, it's clear to me that the majority of staff in these stores are, by and large, sales people not technical people. Would you ask a sales person what you need to buy if you don't know yourself? Would you expect to get what you actually need? Would you think there was a conflict of interest?

I noted that the claims of it being future proof are missing from their website.

What's the point of this post?

To let those of you are not sure what to buy this Xmas to remember that withn three months of you buying it something bigger, better and smarter is going to come along and you'll no longer have, to quote PC World, 'breakthrough technology [that] is vastly superior to that of all current processors'. We all put up with that and it's accepted. Whether it's right or wrong is an entirely different thread.

If working in IT for the last 15 years has taught me anything it's that no piece of technology is future proof, be it your DVD player, your TV, your toaster or your PC.

Rheghead
21-Oct-06, 20:27
I have found that the rate of increase in pc memory/speed has slowed down these last couple of years. It was that pc specs doubled ever 18 months but that it not the case now.

I think the reason for it is that chip cooling technology hasn't caught up but I may be wrong.