PDA

View Full Version : Sand Yachting at Dunnet

brokencross
21-Oct-06, 09:59
The photos of the activity on Dunnet sands on the home page brings back memories.

My Dad and I were there once when BBC Scotland were doing a documentary on the increasing popularity of sand yachting. Magnus Magnusson was the presenter and was very friendly and chatting away.

Unfortunately there was very little wind so not much yachting going on. The film crew were desperate for footage so cheated by towing the sand yachts behind a BBC Land Rover, taking action shots from the back of the Land Rover. All was going well, until at the end of one "run" the Land Rover stopped an area of very wet sand, and as soon as it stopped it started to sink. Four wheel drive or not it would not budge. The more they tried the more it sunk. It was an incoming tide so panic was setting in. It took another jeep type thing, lots of wood, sacking etc plus loads of locals pushing, lifting but eventually the Caithness spirit prevailed and it was freed with inches to spare and a very grateful Magnus.

Murchiemannie
21-Oct-06, 14:29
My brother and some of his mates used to have a sand yacht and spent many, many hours tearing up and down the sand (when the wind was kind to them). Aslo they used to go to Lythem st. annes to compete. Thanks for the memories.

DrSzin
21-Oct-06, 14:37
I too have fond memories of watching sand yachts at Dunnet. Thanks for sharing your memories Bob L. :)