PDA

View Full Version : Another Odd Phonecall

Garnet
15-Nov-11, 19:31
I've just received a rather odd and disturbing phoncall from a 'Selina' proporting to be from the 'British Red Cross! She asked to speak to my OH by name so I passed the phone over, she very politely asked if OH had time to speak, the reply being, "eh not really I'm in the middle of preparing food, oh and how did you get this number"..........to which the reply was the dialing tone??? Did a 1471 but guess what....yep no return number left. so i'ts safe to assume this was not the Red Cross! has anyone else had the same call? :confused

purplelady
16-Nov-11, 01:05
I had a mess left on my answer fone god knows what they were saying lol xxxxx

pat
16-Nov-11, 09:27
Once a person has donated the name and contact info is kept on file.
I have one charity I used to donate to by transfer of funds from my bank every month - have not done this for several years now, advised them was stopping it when I stopped. This charity contacts me every few months - first they check they are speaking to me personally if not they ask for me then thank me for continuing to donate! Does not matter how often I tell them I have stopped my donations and will not be renewing and asking for my name to be removed from their lists it continues - if I get the standard card and asking for more donations this year I will be writingthe patron asking why the charity continues to send/contact people who have specifically asked to be removed from their mailing lists as this is a waste of time and money of both parties.
OH continually gets BHF contacting and again ask for by name.
I also get many of these scam calls asking for me by my full name which only gets filled in on official forms so know they have got my name from a list.
British Red Cross are contacting folk at the moment - sending out freebie stuff as well as contacting by phone, to these calls I say I give to my own selection of charities and money is limited, soon gets rid of the callers when they know you are not going to stump up.

Garnet
16-Nov-11, 16:37
Hi Pat, thanks for your reply which I agree with except I am ex-directory and do not give out my land line to anyone other than family, GP, and grudgingly the bank. I know numbers are bought and sold whether ex-dir or not even though signed up for non disclosure, but it's still a puzzle as she hung up without answering and why!!! oh well c'est la vie!

Purplelady (? lady) hope you got your 'mess' sorted.....lol xxx

Garnet

poppett
17-Nov-11, 13:35
Garnet, sometimes they just take a chance with a possible number. They know for instance that 89 is Thurso area if they have called 1112 and had a reply there is a fair chance the consecutive numbers either side will be landlines too. This was an old method used to cold call before numbers were sold. Yes, and even the banks do it.... have caught them redhanded with that a couple of times.

achingale
17-Nov-11, 20:17
Thanks for the heads up on yet another scam. It gets really annoying and they always call at mealtimes!