PDA

View Full Version : Grrrrrr Streetlights on in daytime!!! Guess who pays for that then!

Dorrie
15-Nov-11, 17:23
I just phoned a poor guy at the council complaining about the streetlights in Thurso being on all day. WE pay for this! If I leave on a light in my house then fair enough, my fault, I pay, but WHY should I pay for street lights which should NOT be on in the daytime.

The guy at the council was very nice and took it well. He told me they had been on for 2 years!!!!!!! I know I have complained about it in the past but 2 years?

Anyway - he told me that the local council can do nothing about it as it is down to Transerve Scotland.

I phoned them and talked to Mr Neil Fraser who claims to have no knowledge or communications about this. He has now. He says he will see what he can do about it.

His number should nothing happen is: 079202 731 65.

If the streetlights are on again tomorrow in Thurso, then I will be phoning to let them know (he asked me to let him know if any other lights were on when they shouldn't be) so folks, if your street lights are on when they shouldn't be, be sure to let him know, because it's not just me paying for it, you are too!

theone
15-Nov-11, 17:30
How much of a tax rebate can we expect once the light is switched off?

On a more serious note, I think you should edit your post to remove the guys phone number. I'm sure you wouldn't want your mobile listed on here.

Nick Noble
15-Nov-11, 17:32
Thanks for that post Dorrie, and for actually trying to do something about it.

I'll certainly contact them too. Where are the offending lights, I am ashamed to admit I have not noticed them myself.

Dorrie
15-Nov-11, 17:47
The transerve guy asked that I contact him with notification of when lights are on when they shouldn't be, so his number being here is fine I think, and I'm sure it will be his work phone not his personal one.

I did get on my high horse a bit and told them that I would be withholding part of my council tax if it wasn't sorted and that they could take me to court if they wanted to! lol

The lights were on, on the main road into town (from Wick) this morning, but my Mum who lives in Thurso reckons they are normally on and the council guy reckoned they have been on for 2 years! :(

donss
15-Nov-11, 18:51
Quite right: If the Council Contact has a work mobile, then that's what it's for: If we all call him if/when we see lights on 'out of normal hours' then it's money well spent, and makes giving these council workers mobile phones at our expense worthwhile.....

david
15-Nov-11, 19:18
I wonder who pays for the electric used to floodlight the Ross Institute in Halkirk?

bekisman
15-Nov-11, 21:40
What are 'street lights'?

linnie612
15-Nov-11, 21:41
savvy illumination?

bekisman
15-Nov-11, 21:43
savvy illumination?
You been to Strathy Point?
Edit: I'd better point out that my comment "what are street lights"? was said tongue in cheek, in that at Strathy Point we don't have street lights, so it was a joke you see..

linnie612
15-Nov-11, 21:46
Nah, not in a long time:)

whiteneck
15-Nov-11, 21:59
i had always presumed that they were on a sensor for going on and off, and that if they were on through the day it was simply to check if ther were any bulbs out.

linnie612
15-Nov-11, 22:10
savvy illumination?

You been to Strathy Point?
Edit: I'd better point out that my comment "what are street lights"? was said tongue in cheek, in that at Strathy Point we don't have street lights, so it was a joke you see..

As was mine...

brandy
15-Nov-11, 23:50
WELL the back of bridge street car park is black of a night as only half the bulbs are working.
so wouldnt mind a little illumination out there, as im walking to my car after work.
gets really dark now!
but i agree.. shouldnt have the lights on thru the day . no use for it..

orkneycadian
16-Nov-11, 00:06
I just phoned a poor guy at the council complaining about the streetlights in Thurso being on all day. WE pay for this!

Do we? I thought they were unmetered, and on a fixed rate? So if they are on more than they should be, its the power companies that pick up the tab?

Kodiak
16-Nov-11, 00:23
Do we? I thought they were unmetered, and on a fixed rate? So if they are on more than they should be, its the power companies that pick up the tab?

No that can not correct. If it was you would not be getting Councils switching off some lights a Midnight to save on the Electricity that they use. If they were on just a flat rate the councils would not bother how long the Lights were on.

golach
16-Nov-11, 00:52

think your wrong
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-15493955

orkneycadian
16-Nov-11, 02:05
Not necessarily....

http://powerdataassociates.com/html/unmetered.html

Dorrie
16-Nov-11, 06:49
I think, in this case, the service is purchased from Transerve, so it isn't actually costing our council more (and therefore it shouldn't cost us more) however, with money being so tight everywhere, surely waste for the sake of it, is wrong. Even if in this instance it is not affecting our pocket directly, with the cost of power going up all the time as it is in short supply (or will be in the future) then surely it is better to sort these needless wastes out now.

Cattach
16-Nov-11, 10:42
I just phoned a poor guy at the council complaining about the streetlights in Thurso being on all day. WE pay for this! If I leave on a light in my house then fair enough, my fault, I pay, but WHY should I pay for street lights which should NOT be on in the daytime.

The guy at the council was very nice and took it well. He told me they had been on for 2 years!!!!!!! I know I have complained about it in the past but 2 years?

Anyway - he told me that the local council can do nothing about it as it is down to Transerve Scotland.

I phoned them and talked to Mr Neil Fraser who claims to have no knowledge or communications about this. He has now. He says he will see what he can do about it.

His number should nothing happen is: 079202 731 65.

If the streetlights are on again tomorrow in Thurso, then I will be phoning to let them know (he asked me to let him know if any other lights were on when they shouldn't be) so folks, if your street lights are on when they shouldn't be, be sure to let him know, because it's not just me paying for it, you are too!

Over the last year I have complained twie to the local lighting engineer and once to Transerve Scotland with no result.

Cattach
16-Nov-11, 10:45
How much of a tax rebate can we expect once the light is switched off?

On a more serious note, I think you should edit your post to remove the guys phone number. I'm sure you wouldn't want your mobile listed on here.

Nonesense. His mobile is his contact number when outwith the office and since his mobile is almost certainly paid for, or certainly his calls, by his employer he is free to receive calls.

Dorrie
16-Nov-11, 11:02
Over the last year I have complained twie to the local lighting engineer and once to Transerve Scotland with no result.

He told me his desk was empty of complaints and that he hadn't had any!

I had never previously complained to Transerve but have been in to the council desk a couple of times and phoned them once.

pat
16-Nov-11, 12:55
The street illuminations where I live on outskirts of Stornoway go out at midnight and back on at 6am, does not bother me as usually carry a torch and lights around house I can switch if required.
Much prefer to be in dark with aid of torch, street illuminations do not give correct colours and cause many odd shadows.

I use the site Fix My Street - that way they cannot say they have not had notification and after a month or so up it pops to see if action has been taken on your notification, managed to get all the work from potholes, drains to lights working/not working repaired.
My local councillor who also happens to be convener for Western Isles (he is one who is often interviewed) has asked if I know a family with the name ????? where I live, my reply is - no, nobody of that name - registered on the Fix My Street site in my middle names - he suggested a lot of complaints came from this family but it kept the area in repair!!!

So get stuck in Dorrie - on the site, tell how long it has been going on and what you have tried to do - then let them wriggle out of it when it is there online for everyone to see!

Even Chance
16-Nov-11, 13:18
Have to agree with you there pat. I have used "fix my street" many times with successful results every time.

Dorrie
16-Nov-11, 16:35
The street illuminations where I live on outskirts of Stornoway go out at midnight and back on at 6am, does not bother me as usually carry a torch and lights around house I can switch if required.
Much prefer to be in dark with aid of torch, street illuminations do not give correct colours and cause many odd shadows.

I use the site Fix My Street - that way they cannot say they have not had notification and after a month or so up it pops to see if action has been taken on your notification, managed to get all the work from potholes, drains to lights working/not working repaired.
My local councillor who also happens to be convener for Western Isles (he is one who is often interviewed) has asked if I know a family with the name ????? where I live, my reply is - no, nobody of that name - registered on the Fix My Street site in my middle names - he suggested a lot of complaints came from this family but it kept the area in repair!!!

So get stuck in Dorrie - on the site, tell how long it has been going on and what you have tried to do - then let them wriggle out of it when it is there online for everyone to see!

Wow I've never heard of this site, thank you so much, I will try that out and hopefully so will everyone else. The thing is, when trying to sort out stuff, you need to get the small things right and it will make everything else so much better. Thanks again Pat! :)

Link to Fix My Street: http://www.fixmystreet.com/

Cattach
16-Nov-11, 16:41
He told me his desk was empty of complaints and that he hadn't had any!

I had never previously complained to Transerve but have been in to the council desk a couple of times and phoned them once.

May be empty now but he or maybe it was his office got a complaint from me. Any man running a business the size of Transerve, or one of its regional operations, who does not have a complaint is a very lucky man or a liar.

pat
16-Nov-11, 17:39
Totally agree with you Cattach, cannot believe Transerve are that competent!

Keep filling in the forms for

http://www.fixmystreet.com/ it really works and they cannot say they have not receive notification.