PDA

View Full Version : Is Thurso racist?

mrmiguel
21-Oct-06, 02:22
Hi all,

Well, I've lived here since September 2005. I was hoping to settle here, maybe even start a small business where my wife and I could manage and grow until we were to old to keep and run it.

Well, my time here has proven to be un-pleasant. It seems as though some young folks here do not like non-whites living here. Well, at least that is what I have experienced. Best that I learn this now so that my wife does not move into the area. Though She is British.

As for me, well, being American born, Mexican/American (or, as I prefer Chicano) I have learned that many locals here do not seem to like non-whites moving into their area and living here. I've not really felt welcomed here, especially from the young people, and I have also been made to feel like an intruder, alien, here.

But, being from another country (USA), that is OK. I can always return from where I cam from. Though, my feelings and experience will be expressed to those I will eventually encounter, both here in the UK and in the USA.

You may consider yourself nice people, but from what I have experienced living here in Thurso, well, I find it that you people, in general, are not as nice as you like to perceive yourselves to be. Though, I must say that I have found some people here to be nice and genuine decent people, but, sadly, only just a few of you are.

No matter, I will be out of this town soon, and the sooner the better!

Good Bye Thurso. Never mind about me, I really do not matter in your scheme of things, but you should know that I will forget about you. You are but just a blip in my life.

Don't bother to give a response. I will not be coming back to this site to read your comments

I just no longer care anymore.

MN

Gleber2
21-Oct-06, 02:26
This is distressing. Is Thurso racist?

Kingetter
21-Oct-06, 02:32
This is distressing. Is Thurso racist?

Only individuals - just as there are elsewhere, though that is not defending ill mannered treatment of those who have chosen to move and live in Thurso.

JAWS
21-Oct-06, 02:55
Mrmiguel, hope you do come back, or at least read the board, because I thing you will find a lot of support here for how you feel.

As far as I know, such behaviour is not the way most Caithnessians behave.
The sort of attitude you have encountered is wrong where ever it happens.

Naefearjustbeer
21-Oct-06, 07:15
Yes thurso can be rascist just like any other place anywhere in the world. Maybe you will find somewhere better to live good luck

tip top
21-Oct-06, 07:48
Wow - I thought Thurso was the most cosmopolitan place in Caithness.

Kaishowing
21-Oct-06, 09:03
As long as there are as few non-whites up here as there are now, Caithness will be racist....but before you jump on me please read the qualification I give below.
One of the first things I noticed when I moved up here 20 years ago, was the absence of a mutli-cultural society.
The last 5 years or so have seen non-anglo families moving into the area, and it's a good thing....but I don't think I've ever walked past the Indian takeaway without seeing a board over the window, or a hole in the glass!
There's a hole in the window there now that's been there for ages.....but I don't blame them for not fixing it!! Why bother when some drunk loon will just lob another stone at it for the entertainment for him/herself and his/her knuckle-dragging pals?!?
As said earlier in the thread, alot of the Caithness people aren't even close to being racist, but because of the terribly small minority of non-white people, anyone of a different culture will at the very least, be stared at.
That in itself can be intimidating.
You also have to take into account the small-town mentality as well though. Wick and Thurso are each far from being a heaving metropolis....and small-town thinking will remain....It's not racism, any 'in-comer' will be treated the same way, it's just slow acceptance.
In the long run, only time and a more complete intergration between cultures will sort this, but as long as the attitudes of the not so silent minority drive people away, it'll be very very slow in happening.

Alice in Blunderland
21-Oct-06, 09:23
As long as there are as few non-whites up here as there are now, Caithness will be racist....but before you jump on me please read the qualification I give below.
One of the first things I noticed when I moved up here 20 years ago, was the absence of a mutli-cultural society.
The last 5 years or so have seen non-anglo families moving into the area, and it's a good thing....but I don't think I've ever walked past the Indian takeaway without seeing a board over the window, or a hole in the glass!
There's a hole in the window there now that's been there for ages.....but I don't blame them for not fixing it!! Why bother when some drunk loon will just lob another stone at it for the entertainment for him/herself and his/her knuckle-dragging pals?!?
As said earlier in the thread, alot of the Caithness people aren't even close to being racist, but because of the terribly small minority of non-white people, anyone of a different culture will at the very least, be stared at.
That in itself can be intimidating.
You also have to take into account the small-town mentality as well though. Wick and Thurso are each far from being a heaving metropolis....and small-town thinking will remain....It's not racism, any 'in-comer' will be treated the same way, it's just slow acceptance.
In the long run, only time and a more complete intergration between cultures will sort this, but as long as the attitudes of the not so silent minority drive people away, it'll be very very slow in happening.

I find what you say to be very true.I dont believe its racism to a certain degree its sometimes 'rude' curiosity.There are the usual racist louts around but they are everywhere including Wick and Thurso.

pultneytooner
21-Oct-06, 09:28
So thurso people in general are racist and you are going back to the u.s.a which is of course one of the least racist countries in the world.
I don't think you will find many card carrying white supremists in caithness, do you?
Anyone from thurso, when the american base was open how were the americans of all creeds and colours treated in the town?

Ann
21-Oct-06, 09:29
What a sad comment on Thurso; I am so sorry that mrmiguel has had such an bad experience because he has met the ignorance that exists and probably will continue to exist.

A lot of these ignorant people probably aren't even racist but are the type that would pick on anyone be they of a different culture, colour, or creed.

And I have no doubt they pick on the disabled, mental and physical as well; in fact anyone who is not like themselves.

Well, all I can say, thank goodness most of us are not like them and I'm sorry that mrmiguel met mostly the ignorant ones.

henry20
21-Oct-06, 09:33
I have to agree - my cousin is of mixed parentage, but has never been overly subjected to name-calling (weren't we all at school?)

I must in defence of Caithness people say, that no matter how hurt mrmiguel has been by the unacceptance of others, he should not tar everyone with the same brush 'just a few of you are' genuine and decent is being as equally racist on the counter-attack.

sandy01
21-Oct-06, 11:13
Its not just non whites that get racist abuse.
Try being english.
Its not just Thurso either, while I admit its usually just a few, you can find that if others are close by, who would normally not be that way inclined, will join in.
It may happen, but I have never heard of any scots living in england getting the same sort of treatment???

philupmaboug
21-Oct-06, 11:26
Next time your back over the border Sandy01 try using Scottish notes! real eye opener, I get it all the time. I class this as racial abuse against all Scots.

luskentyre
21-Oct-06, 11:33
Next time your back over the border Sandy01 try using Scottish notes! real eye opener, I get it all the time. I class this as racial abuse against all Scots.

I wouldn't class that as racist - and certainly not as abuse.

Understandably a lot of places in England aren't familiar with Scottish notes and some (not all) regard them with suspicion. They're also unable to use them as change (which in retail is a pain) - and I believe they're under no obligation to take Scottish notes.

I'm really sorry that "mr miguel" had such a bad experience here. Like a lot of others, I thought we were a pretty tolerant bunch. Like the banknote poblem , I think a lot of perceived racism is down to unfamiliarity.

Gogglebox
21-Oct-06, 11:43
Its possiblily unfair to pronounce on a whole town because of some of its youth.

I would quite like to know what area Mr Miguel lives in I would nearly be sure it would be in the Ormlie area where we have a problem with some kids who have been making everyones life a nightmare. vandalism,,abuse etc

Racist comments appeared on the local Indian restaurant and shop walls of the usual type and various other grafitti all over the site

Someone was caught and i believe sent away for these acts - -plus many others misdemeanours

The youth who was caught and punished was of mixed parentage - yet had been the one spraying the racist slurs

I would say racisim is not universal in Thurso but locals do find incomers of any type a curiosity (cos we are a bit nosey) and with the youths probably ignorance and just a will to cause mischief - -its always more fun annoying someone who rises to the bait!.

Over the years Thurso has had families from all over the world, particularly americans who live here happily for years and yearn to come back when they leave.

Now the area, and probaly Scotland as a whole, seems to be hosting a lot of East European folk who have chosen to come here to work.
It cant be that everyone is having the same experience as Mr Miguel who i think has possibly been picked on and targeted by a small group of kids rather than a whole town

I for one find any kind of predjudice abhorrent and hope that this is an isolated incident and not a sign of things to come and i do sympathise if these claims are true

I do think Mr Miguel may have some other issues that are not the fault of the people of Thurso that have maybe made his life not as enjoyable here as he may have hoped. Unfortunatley these issues will go with him where ever he goes in the world.

We are not a racist community.

henry20
21-Oct-06, 11:43
Sandy01, I feel for anyone that genuinly gets anti-english comments - again, its the select few that give a bad name IMO

I worked with 2 english men. 1 was of the 'I've moved to Scotland, I love the area, I love the people and feel this is where I belong' group and was accepted as a 'native' of the area. The other was very much of the 'I moved here, sold my house in england, bought one here and could happily retire on my bank balance, like it or lump it' brigade - naturally, he found resistance as many in the area struggled to get a mortgage for any property in the area.

It is the arrogance of some - regardless of nationality that causes the problem. In my place of work at the time, more than half the workforce were 'incomers' to the area - be it a different area of scotland or english, but the 2nd chap was the only one that didn't fit in - as he openly voiced the fact he felt superior to the locals. Therefore, it was his attitude that people found offensive, not his nationality!

Gogglebox
21-Oct-06, 11:57
the 2nd chap was the only one that didn't fit in - as he openly voiced the fact he felt superior to the locals.[/QUOTE]

There has to be a will to integrate in the community - anyone would have difficulty if they make no effort themselves

Its not like Neighbours where everyone rushes round with a casserole to newcomers but generally over a bit of time once locals get to know people new to the area they become part of the community.

There is more prejudice against English people here than any other country but most of that is meant in fun (although there is some extreme cases)

Wickbhoy
21-Oct-06, 12:05
There has always been prejudice in Caithness on a HUGE scale. Certain surnames have been discriminated against for centuries and this continues to this day as parents openly express their hatred for people carrying these surnames. This in turn leads to children being ostracised at school just becuse of their name. There have even been examples where parents have changed the surname in hte hope the children are given an easier ride in life.

I am a Weeker through and through and always laugh to myself when I hear people expressing how friendly, welcoming and hospitable they are, when in reality these self same people are unashamedly pejudiced against people who like them are Weeker through and through.

Ann
21-Oct-06, 12:15
I agree with Henry20 in that it is not always racism that causes some people to stare, make remarks or throw stones. These people will do these things anyway; they are ignorant, arrogant, don't think of others and are generally prats (and worse) no matter where they live, what their nationality is or anything else that can lead to calls of "ism".

Maybe it is time that citizenship was back on the curriculum in schools with everyone taking part and telling it from their point of view, be it "local" or otherwise. Even prats can sometimes be made to sit up and take notice!

Rheghead
21-Oct-06, 12:20
There is more prejudice against English people here than any other country but most of that is meant in fun (although there is some extreme cases)

How can prejudice be fun?:confused

Gogglebox
21-Oct-06, 12:25
How can prejudice be fun?:confused

The jokes or comments can be just banter

Its howthey are taken by the other person that makes them taken in fun or as an insult

Kingetter
21-Oct-06, 12:29
Question: "Where are you from?"
Answer: Caithness (somewhere within).

In Scotland, generally, the question relates to where you stay/live, not from where you originated. My answer (if asked) is I stay in Caithness but I come from Canada. (Come from, meaning where I was born). There's often a feeling felt by many who move into an area that they are never fully accepted because they aren't "from here". But, why the question in the first place? From some, its an expression of genuine interest, from others its nosiness or worse, and that from an element in society best described as ignorant.
This 'problem' however is not confined to Caithness, but is widespread, and one needs to choose the company you keep, because that's how you will be known from thereon.
One other thing. If you are 'different' you stand out from the crowd and are therefore vulnerable and a 'target' for those who's IQ level might not reach double figures.
I think its scandalous that mrmiguel wasn't able to meet and form friendship with more open minded folk. Is that maybe a reflection on our society?

loobyloo
21-Oct-06, 12:33
There has always been prejudice in Caithness on a HUGE scale. Certain surnames have been discriminated against for centuries and this continues to this day as parents openly express their hatred for people carrying these surnames. This in turn leads to children being ostracised at school just becuse of their name. There have even been examples where parents have changed the surname in hte hope the children are given an easier ride in life.

I am a Weeker through and through and always laugh to myself when I hear people expressing how friendly, welcoming and hospitable they are, when in reality these self same people are unashamedly pejudiced against people who like them are Weeker through and through.

Couldn't agree more!! Anyone in a minority group (non-white, gay, disabled, 'eccentric' -that's a well-used description for anyone who doesn't fit the type, heard that a lot up here, or as you say, of the wrong surname) is isolated or picked upon. If they stay out of the public eye, that's okay but should they dare to make an appearance in a local venue, it's open season. Is it because there are less minorities up here? I don't know. Is it a case of picking on those whom there are less of? Could be.

Ricco
21-Oct-06, 12:56
Hi all,

Well, I've lived here since September 2005. I was hoping to settle here, maybe even start a small business where my wife and I could manage and grow until we were to old to keep and run it.

Well, my time here has proven to be un-pleasant. It seems as though some young folks here do not like non-whites living here. Well, at least that is what I have experienced. Best that I learn this now so that my wife does not move into the area. Though She is British.

As for me, well, being American born, Mexican/American (or, as I prefer Chicano) I have learned that many locals here do not seem to like non-whites moving into their area and living here. I've not really felt welcomed here, especially from the young people, and I have also been made to feel like an intruder, alien, here.

But, being from another country (USA), that is OK. I can always return from where I cam from. Though, my feelings and experience will be expressed to those I will eventually encounter, both here in the UK and in the USA.

You may consider yourself nice people, but from what I have experienced living here in Thurso, well, I find it that you people, in general, are not as nice as you like to perceive yourselves to be. Though, I must say that I have found some people here to be nice and genuine decent people, but, sadly, only just a few of you are.

No matter, I will be out of this town soon, and the sooner the better!

Good Bye Thurso. Never mind about me, I really do not matter in your scheme of things, but you should know that I will forget about you. You are but just a blip in my life.

Don't bother to give a response. I will not be coming back to this site to read your comments

I just no longer care anymore.

MN

MrMiguel, I am sadded that you have had such a bad experience. It's a sad indictment that a local culture should shun newcomers that want to fit in and actually make their way in the local society. I can only say that you will not be alone - small communitities always take a long time to accept newcomers (outsiders) whether they be latin-amercian, black, white, pink or candy-striped. Our community where I now live is more embracing - for example, this afternoon my wife and I are going round to congratulate a young Moslem couple on their first baby. They are very nice people and fit in well with our local community - the husband has a store iin a nearby village and his wife was working in one of the banks up to last month. They do not do the total Moslem thing - veils and such and are really nice. I am sure that you and your family are as well.

I hope that some of the Thurso locals read your thread and go out of their way to make things more welcoming for you - I am sure that they will benefit for it! Good luck, and I hope that things change.

Ann
21-Oct-06, 13:18
I've read all the threads with interest but I still think that it is down to ignorance and intolerance of a minority rather than people in general.

Depending on who you are in touch with when you move first to a new community, this will colour your perception of the whole area if you do not have an open mind.

It is up to us all to practise tolerance and acceptance of all the lives we touch.

clash67
21-Oct-06, 14:23
I agree with wickbhoy, I have heard way too many racist comments come out of the mouths of locals (Caithness) and I am not talking about just youths but from adults, so what message does that send to young people, only just two days ago I overheard two elderly ...lets just call them gentlemen, having a conversation about something or other but the surnames of some local minority groups were mentioned and they were using the local favourite racist names for them as if there was nothing wrong with that at all. I would have liked to have thought that people of their age would have had more sense, but sadly I hear this on a all too regular bases.
The elderly men would no doubt have children and grand children who will have inevitably picked up on the way these two old men thought and so the circle continues.
Is Thurso racist you ask, well the answer is yes and I will go further and say that not only Thurso but most of Caithness, oh yes I can almost feel the orgers reaction to that comment but before everyone starts loading their pistols let me say this, I have lived in Caithness a great many years and I have heard people say the most hellish things about people with certain surnames in the county with no provication what so ever and I have witnessed people getting treated like second class citizens or worse by people who should know better.
I could name a huge list of people who are VERY racist ( but I won't) but if asked they would say they don't even consider themselves racist in the least but yet they think that calling people names like ( and here is where I have to use that terrible word) tinks is not racist, well let me tell you that word insults many people just as much as any other racist name, so the next time someone uses that word they should ask themselves "am I part of the nuckle dragging, small minded racist squad?".
I have no doubt many will read this and perhaps feel insulted, but if you aren't part of the local small minded racist squad then I am not addressing this post to you but to the MAJORITY of people who are. So ask yourself "Am I racist?" because I have seen racism come from local teachers, councillors, policemen, adults and children all of whom think they are upstanding members or our community. Nough said.

Gleber2
21-Oct-06, 14:45
Well said, Clash67. My son, in Primary school, was treated like a pariah because his name was Isaac and he didn't have a television in his house. Caithness is a place where I have seen more discrimination than any other place I have lived and I have lived in many places and countries. Prejudice against anybody who is different. It doesn't take different skin colour or race to set it off.

Alice in Blunderland
21-Oct-06, 15:01
Well said, Clash67. My son, in Primary school, was treated like a pariah because his name was Isaac and he didn't have a television in his house. Caithness is a place where I have seen more discrimination than any other place I have lived and I have lived in many places and countries. Prejudice against anybody who is different. It doesn't take different skin colour or race to set it off.
I find myself nodding and agreeing with this post as I read it.

clash67
21-Oct-06, 15:02
I remember when you first told me Isaac's name, my first thought was that he would have a hard time because of it but would get a unique insight into the true nature of racism, he soon flourished into an outstanding musician and so rubbed his agressors' noses in it..good on him.

sandy01
21-Oct-06, 15:03
I have had that problem with scottish notes.
5 of us ordered a meal in a full pub, when I tried to pay the landlord came with the usual answer, "there not worth the same as english notes" sufice to say after a few words, he said "its only a joke" my reply was "the jokes on you, you can stuff your meals" and we all walked out and had a good meal at another pub where they had no argument with scottish notes. more people should do this, it is just as legal tender as english money. I have no gripe with youngsters who check with there supervisor first as they may not have seen scottish notes before>

cuddlepop
21-Oct-06, 15:19
Is Thurso Racist?
The simple answere is probably.Like any other place in this world if your not from the area then you will shun outsiders.I think its in our genetic genes to be wary of someone who does not belong to our tribe.
I grow up ,up a close in Glasgow across from a Catholic primary and attended a Proddy one.Even at 5 I was aware of the enemy,I dont remember saying or doing anything but I knew I had to go with the growd.My X husband came over to Skye from Melbourne,his father was from Skye and they had family here.Life was made very difficult for him and he eventually became a rebel.
I could go on for ever.My friends husband is as black as the earl of Haig's waistcoat and is a supervisor in a supermarket.If he has a disgrunteled customer who is not satisfied with how his complaint is being handeled,they usually start making remarks about his skin colour.[disgust]
No matter where you go you will find racism.

Kingetter
21-Oct-06, 15:23
Is Thurso Racist?
The simple answere is probably.Like any other place in this world if your not from the area then you will shun outsiders.I think its in our genetic genes to be wary of someone who does not belong to our tribe.
I grow up ,up a close in Glasgow across from a Catholic primary and attended a Proddy one.Even at 5 I was aware of the enemy,I dont remember saying or doing anything but I knew I had to go with the growd.My X husband came over to Skye from Melbourne,his father was from Skye and they had family here.Life was made very difficult for him and he eventually became a rebel.
I could go on for ever.My friends husband is as black as the earl of Haig's waistcoat and is a supervisor in a supermarket.If he has a disgrunteled customer who is not satisfied with how his complaint is being handeled,they usually start making remarks about his skin colour.[disgust]
No matter where you go you will find racism.
not doubting a word you say, but, just because some individuals in a 'community' are racist, does that make the community racist? I think not.

cuddlepop
21-Oct-06, 15:26
Its not the comminity that are racist but the individuals who are so does that not make the community so.

Kingetter
21-Oct-06, 15:32
Its not the comminity that are racist but the individuals who are so does that not make the community so.

Only if they're the majority and I doubt they are somehow.

I've heard about the 'rivalry' between Wick and Thurso for instance, but, I also know that folk from Thurso have married folk from Wick. For them, reason prevailed, for others, maybe inbuilt prejudices are too strong, or, maybe, they just like annoying others as a kind of 'entertainment'.

Rheghead
21-Oct-06, 15:35
Tower Hamlets voted in a BNP councillor, does that make that community racist?

cuddlepop
21-Oct-06, 15:37
If for example someone was being racist in your company or within earshoot would you say something ?
Me I'd be too frightened to say something in defence of the person being slatted incase of reprisals.But I live in that same community and because I have not stopped this happening I am not just as bad as the person doing the abusing because of my inactions?

cuddlepop
21-Oct-06, 15:39
Maybe it does RHeghead I dont know the man personally.

canuck
21-Oct-06, 15:44
... Caithness is a place where I have seen more discrimination than any other place I have lived and I have lived in many places and countries. Prejudice against anybody who is different. It doesn't take different skin colour or race to set it off.

... and yet Caithness is also home to the most tolerant and inclusive people I have ever known.

Kingetter
21-Oct-06, 15:48
If for example someone was being racist in your company or within earshoot would you say something ?
Me I'd be too frightened to say something in defence of the person being slatted incase of reprisals.But I live in that same community and because I have not stopped this happening I am not just as bad as the person doing the abusing because of my inactions?

That's down to Free Speech, the thing we in Britain are supposed to have (and enjoy?), that is missing from so many places that some immigrants come from. Because someone says something I don't agree with, I've no legal/moral need to comment, unless I choose or am asked, but that still doesn't mean I agree. I do not consider myself as 'the one who will right all wrongs'. I'd have to start on myself first and that's another story!

Gleber2
21-Oct-06, 16:16
... and yet Caithness is also home to the most tolerant and inclusive people I have ever known.

Very true.

saxovtr
21-Oct-06, 18:15
will i get banned for being perfectly honest?

newlabeluk
21-Oct-06, 18:53
My sister, her husband,small daughter and my Dad moved to Caithness 7 years ago.......what a journey 2 estate cars one towing a small trailer, a Luton van towing a 4 berth caravan. we thought we might not make Berridale Bray! we stopped for a cuppa at Laide Hay croft museum and when the Luton pulled in 10 mins later were greeted with 'Yes Ladies, It's a Flitting' we laughed so hard the ladies were fantastic and even knew which property they were going to. My brother-in-law sometimes gets the English comments but looks them in the eye and says ' sorry mate I'm Welsh' (which he is) and my sister isn't an incomer but a returnee as the family originally came from papigoe. they tell me it was the best move they every made. One day i'll make the move for now have to be content with visits but i've Never had any nasty comments.

Love to youse ah!

percy toboggan
21-Oct-06, 21:09
It seems to me the thread originigator has both posed the question and answered it.

Everywhere is racist. It's a natural human trait in most people to varying degrees.

northener
21-Oct-06, 22:03
"You may consider yourself nice people, but from what I have experienced living here in Thurso, well, I find it that you people, in general, are not as nice as you like to perceive yourselves to be. Though, I must say that I have found some people here to be nice and genuine decent people, but, sadly, only just a few of you are."

Well, it's nice to know that he found some and only just a few nice people up here.

I'm sorry, but given the general slating that this guy has given the North of Scotland, I find it very difficult to feel any sympathy towards him/her.

I'm not saying that this person has had no problems but, lets face it, to live in an area for just over 12 months and then disappear whilst slagging off a whole area doesn't strike me as being the mark of someone who has even attempted to merge with the local community.

Lets be honest, the whole of Scotland is full of people who think they can just breeze in and, without any effort on their part, be accepted as members of their community.

Scotland is no different to any other country, reminds me of the planks who move to France/Spain etc and then complain because the locals won't fit in with their (usually narrow minded) ideas of how things should be done.

Says it all that this person has taken their bat home and refuses to discuss whats really happened.

I bet they're reading these posts though.

JAWS
22-Oct-06, 00:23
Whilst I might not stand out visually as not being "local" once I open my mouth my flat-vowelled North of England accent is a definite give away.

During the years I have spent in Caithness only once have I suffered adverse comments about my origins. The two examples of low-life concerned would have been an embarrassment to any Society they had been born into and, as such, I dismissed their attitude as being of no consequence whatsoever.

Other than on that one occasion I have always been made to feel most welcome in the County. I certainly have never felt unwelcome neither have I been made to feel I was an "outsider". It's possible that I have just been lucky but I find it difficult to believe that I have been so lucky that by some chance any Caithnessians with an "attitude problem" have taken special care to hide from me.

I have no doubt that there are youngsters who's attitude leaves much to be desired, but I've found that to be the case where ever I've been and Caithness youngsters are generally a lot better mannered than those in most areas.

Gleber2
22-Oct-06, 02:15
Whilst I might not stand out visually as not being "local" once I open my mouth my flat-vowelled North of England accent is a definite give away.

During the years I have spent in Caithness only once have I suffered adverse comments about my origins. The two examples of low-life concerned would have been an embarrassment to any Society they had been born into and, as such, I dismissed their attitude as being of no consequence whatsoever.

Other than on that one occasion I have always been made to feel most welcome in the County. I certainly have never felt unwelcome neither have I been made to feel I was an "outsider". It's possible that I have just been lucky but I find it difficult to believe that I have been so lucky that by some chance any Caithnessians with an "attitude problem" have taken special care to hide from me.

I have no doubt that there are youngsters who's attitude leaves much to be desired, but I've found that to be the case where ever I've been and Caithness youngsters are generally a lot better mannered than those in most areas.

You've not told them what you used to be Jaws. Their opinions might change.LOL

Tugmistress
22-Oct-06, 02:28
i have found, after being here nearly five years, that 99% of the people i work with/socialise with accept me for who i am and not my accent.
by sheer coincidence i found out after i moved up here that my nana's nana was Hoy born and bred, and this is the most comfortable i have felt in living whereas in other parts of england i have not felt like i belong. here is where my heart is :)

sapphire
22-Oct-06, 11:20
You've not told them what you used to be Jaws. Their opinions might change.LOL
Is there any chance that you are going to spill the beans here Gleber2....just for us 'new' folks who haven't a clue?........Go on....you know you want to!!:lol:

Gleber2
22-Oct-06, 12:12
Is there any chance that you are going to spill the beans here Gleber2....just for us 'new' folks who haven't a clue?........Go on....you know you want to!!:lol:

No way, he would crucify me. If Jaws wants to disclose his dark past, that's up to him.

Kingetter
22-Oct-06, 12:22
No way, he would crucify me. If Jaws wants to disclose his dark past, that's up to him.

- and besides, this is a family show, right? lol

canuck
22-Oct-06, 12:37

- and besides, this is a family show, right? lol

We really are an incredibly eclectic group aren't we?

Kingetter
22-Oct-06, 12:39

We are? Is that word allowed on here?

canuck
22-Oct-06, 12:48
It is the eclectic that allows for tolerance and encourages the growth of an appreciation for things different. Two much homogeneity leads to the sameness which fosters racism.

Ricco
22-Oct-06, 14:21
I must say that I thought about this thread and my reply overnight and duly remembered a few bits of info. When we lived in Canada there was an 'arrangement' called the Welcome Wagon, or something like that, where local people would help out new arrivals and ensure that they felt welcomed into the community. There is no equivalent here, especially in the more rural areas. So, perhaps MrMiguel was expecting something along those lines and it never cropped up because it doesn't exist?

Our visit to the happy young couple was lovely, by the way. And what a cute little bairn!

Kingetter
22-Oct-06, 14:30
The Welcome Wagon thing sounds really good, but could it happen in Britain, in Caithness?

canuck
22-Oct-06, 14:37
Ricco, the Welcome Wagon seems to have run its course on the Canadian scene, at least in the urban centres. I think that it became impossible to get people at home during the day.

But Caithness is the perfect place for it to exist.

scorrie
22-Oct-06, 15:01
I wouldn't single Thurso out as worse or better than any other location. What I would say though, is that the "few" ignorant kids are only saying what a good few other people are thinking but they choose to say nothing for one reason or another.

You can guarantee that a show of hands against racism in a public location would reveal a very different result to a secret ballot of the same audience!!

Welcome Wagon or Cheerio Chariot? I wonder which would be more popular with the locals of any given area?

sapphire
22-Oct-06, 15:07
When new neighbours moved next to me I took round flowers and a card to welcome them.....but perhaps in this day and age people will regard that as being nosey,not friendly.:roll:
It is difficult to judge how people will react to, or what they think is behind a gesture, no matter how well meaning it may be

percy toboggan
22-Oct-06, 17:16
When new neighbours moved next to me I took round flowers and a card to welcome them.....but perhaps in this day and age people will regard that as being nosey,not friendly.:roll:
It is difficult to judge how people will react to, or what they think is behind a gesture, no matter how well meaning it may be

Spekaing as an Englishman with Scottish ambitions I'd invite you in, open a bottle of wine or some ale, whichever was your choosing and enjoy a chat. Your instincts are first class.

sapphire
22-Oct-06, 17:19
Spekaing as an Englishman with Scottish ambitions I'd invite you in, open a bottle of wine or some ale, whichever was your choosing and enjoy a chat. Your instincts are first class.

Just let me know when you're moving and I'll do my best......who could turn down an offer like that!:lol:

percy toboggan
22-Oct-06, 18:55
Just let me know when you're moving and I'll do my best......who could turn down an offer like that!:lol:
Won't be for a while I'm afraid. Though if I buy the wine now it will be of fine vintage before the cork comes off:)

Red or white?(hope it's the former, but being an 'incomer' the choice is entirely yours l.o.l.)

Saxo01
22-Oct-06, 19:15

Gleber2 is amazing on the eclectic guitar :lol:

canuck
22-Oct-06, 20:11
Gleber2 is amazing on the eclectic guitar :lol:

Ah, that he is isn't he?

Saxo01
22-Oct-06, 20:18
As they say man & machine in perfect harmony

canuck
23-Oct-06, 00:59
Brilliant observation.

Loafer
23-Oct-06, 17:03
Two answers really.

First answer is No, Thurso is probably one of the friendliest places you
could come across (apart from the odd knuckle-dragger).
Second question must be asked to everyone. Are you racist? The answer to
that is there is a bit of racist in all of us. Before you go biting my head
off, just have a long hard think into your innermost self.

Have you called or thought of calling anyone (even shouting at the TV) an
English so and so?

What about the veil controversy recently, has any derogatory utterings come
from you agains Asians?

If you have seen on TV any hoodlums in, say, the New York ghetto's, made
you react with the "n" or the "w" word?

Have you made comments about the Irish or Welsh (even jokes)?
What about immigrants? Have you shouted "get them back where they came
from" without even giving a wee bit of thought of their individual plight?

When Zidane head-butted the Italian in the World Cup Final, did any
derogatory French or Italian comments come from you?

These are but a few examples. I'm sure you fit into one of them.

I feel ashamed, but I do.

So the answer to the question Is Thurso Racist?

Yes and No

The Loafer

Ann
23-Oct-06, 22:13
That is so true Loafer; and there are plenty more examples as with people being called fatty, stupid, dumb, mental, spastic etc., etc.

I think we can all take a good look at ourselves and "try to do better" which I am sure this thread will spur some of us to do.

Bobinovich
23-Oct-06, 23:35
If I'm being picky Ann I would call those examples prejudices (along with that loathsome word 'tink') rather than racist, but other than that I too agree with Loafer.

I have found as I've got older (and especially since becoming a parent) that I'm ashamed of some of things I uttered in my youth. I've learned that you have to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. You'll often be pleasantly surprised how an initial perception of a person changes as you actually get to know them. Of course there are also some who you would think were decent folk but quickly prove otherwise.

maverick
24-Oct-06, 00:07
just puting my tuppence worth in. I believe that every man woman and child on this planet is racist or perhaps has racial tendancies and this is due to two things hatred and fear and as long as these two things exist there will always be racism.

JAWS
24-Oct-06, 02:03
I believe that all people are equal - therefore I should spread my prejudice equally between them.
That way nobody should have the feeling that they are being singled out for any specific reason.
I would hate for anybody to feel left out, that would be terrible.

I'm afraid it's all due to my upbringing. My grandmother had a terrible prejudice, she always said you couldn't trust anybody who's eyes were too close together. I never really worked out why this should be so.
As a result I arrived at the conclusion that there was no logical reason to restrict my prejudices to one small group.

Besides, it's so restricting and gets in the way of so many opportunities to get into trouble.

sassylass
24-Oct-06, 02:39
Maverick you're right, it come down to hatred and fear, and also ignorance.

Jaws your comment if profound, prejudices get more and more minute...I am still chuckling over not trusting a person because their eyes are too close together! [lol]

squidge
24-Oct-06, 14:20
In general I think that prejudice is part of the make up of most people but that doesnt mean we shouldnt confront it or challenge people's assumptions about it.

Specifically I never encountered behaviour that made me feel the target of prejudice or discrimination when i lived in Caithness. Other than the usual football stuff that is and silly nonsense there was only one incident when a man said he didnt want to be seen by that "english woman" and asked to see the manager and he got me!!! The kids had a bit of a hard time for a while at school in the same way as other children got it cos they were fat or wore glasses and it eventually wore off the bigger they got.

I know this isnt a popular point but i met plenty of people moving into the area who were not the easiest folk to deal with or the most likeable. Whenever we are having problems getting on with others we should ALWAYS look at ourselves and make sure the fault doesnt lie with us first

saxovtr
24-Oct-06, 14:31
i judge people as i meet them,nobody is equal or the same in this world,very unsatisfactory way of seeing life and people(in sum of your opinions) but i also never judge a book by its cover,the way people are treated in some cases is rediculous,for example certain police personnel being re instated after drink driving(i dont think that is nor appropriate or clever) also police being giving a warning for driving over 120mph and being caught,i know this is a racist topic,but sum people are getting away with major things,then if somebody my age does the same they got the books thrown at them,hmmm rant over.