PDA

View Full Version : mail merge / labels

dirdyweeker
14-Nov-11, 23:40
I am virtually pulling my hair out with frustration! :mad:
Have been attempting to make address labels in advance for my envelopes at Christmas.
Have successfully made my list of addresses as per Excel and even Access as initially thought my problems lay there.
However....my problem seems to be with the labels.
I have dutifully put in the EXACT measurements as requested to customize my own labels but each time I print a sheet of addresses
I fail. The first set of addresses look perfect but each one then rises higher than the previous so I am left with overlapping addresses.
Hope I have explained this simply and more so hope someone can HELP!!

Thanks in anticipation.................

Les McBeath
15-Nov-11, 13:56
you did not mention what software you are using for setting up up labels, I use "Word" but others would be similar I'd imagine.

There are three things that I think could be causing your problem

1) page size :- I assume you'll be using A4 sheets

2) number of labels per column and per row

3) vertical pitch and label height getting mixed up [vertical pitch is the distance from the top of one label to the top of the next label, this can be the same as the label height but can not be less than the label height]

I'm sorry if you have checked all these options already, but hopefully one of these will help and solve the problem.

Les

dirdyweeker
15-Nov-11, 15:44
Thanks for offering help. I am too using Microsoft Word.
I have definitely put in pitches correctly.
Am using A4, 2 labels across and 7 down.
Having a day away from it today as ended up with a headache and in a foul mood last night again!

embow
15-Nov-11, 18:22
Are the labels you are using compatible with the printer being used? I've a similar difficulty using an HP all-in-one with Avery labels.
Should use HP labels apparently.

dirdyweeker
16-Nov-11, 15:39
Hi Embo
My labels are not one of the listed ones but you can customize any make by putting in the make and sizes. I
do wonder if this is the problem. Should I use a listed one? But then it does allow you to use any as long as
vertical and horizontal pitches etc are inserted. Still no solution but thanks for your input.

embow
18-Nov-11, 19:56
Tried customising when first had a problem but alas---ach! you know the rest.

dx100uk
19-Nov-11, 02:11
each page you print
is the alignment getting worse?

it could be slippage on the paperfeed due to the labels being shiny

instead of keep using sheets of labels
get it working by printing to plain paper and holding the sheet up to the lighy
with a sheet of blank labels infront

if it does the same

comeback here

dx

demac-artist
20-Nov-11, 16:54
Ok Open Word

first page setup
Page Layout / Page set up /
Margins - Measure the left over bits on your labels sheet and edit / Portrait / Normal / Whole documents
Page - select Custom then edit in the width and length
Layout - New page / Top Click OK

Mailings / Labels
Enter in your data in the box
Full page of the same label
Options..
/Page printers - default
Label vender - on your box of labels usually Avery US letter if you cant find a vendor
Choose 11080 Ecofriendly Ready index at the side is the information of the labels CLICK ON THE WRITING
This will bring up a new window
Entering in all the information measuring your labels then double check the pitch and margins as you enter info the image of the labels changes. Make sure to edit the Page Size if not in the selection then choose custom and enter in the measurements of your actual sheet of labels
Click ok will close then click ok again and close that window then chose NEW DOCUMENT

Up come your labels edit the writing if you wish

Click Print / Settings - print all pages and change to Print current page

Done

Let me know if you have any more issues
Deanne

demac-artist
20-Nov-11, 17:09
Hi

That worked so next step

Mailings
Start mail merge - labels new window check all the measurements will save the 11080 as your choice OK

Window saying must delete current content OK

Select recipients - go find your file and click will add <next record> in your labels if not

Insert merge fields Name address etc in the first label next top label goto RULES and choose <next record> then copy the < mergefield> under that then copy merge fields + next record in all the other labels

Finish / Merge - edit document select all and done print off
Do a print preview as all the data should come up in a new document

Deanne

dirdyweeker
20-Nov-11, 23:52
each page you print
is the alignment getting worse?

it could be slippage on the paperfeed due to the labels being shiny

instead of keep using sheets of labels
get it working by printing to plain paper and holding the sheet up to the lighy
with a sheet of blank labels infront

if it does the same

comeback here

dx

Tried it this way but problem just the same.

dirdyweeker
21-Nov-11, 00:01
Hi

That worked so next step

Mailings
Start mail merge - labels new window check all the measurements will save the 11080 as your choice OK

Window saying must delete current content OK

Select recipients - go find your file and click will add <next record> in your labels if not

Insert merge fields Name address etc in the first label next top label goto RULES and choose <next record> then copy the < mergefield> under that then copy merge fields + next record in all the other labels

Finish / Merge - edit document select all and done print off
Do a print preview as all the data should come up in a new document

Deanne

Thanks for this wonderful step by step, worked perfectly and was the same as i have been doing BUT when it comes to printing
i am back to the same problem. :( :(
I MUST be going wrong somewhere!

dx100uk
21-Nov-11, 00:23
is the alignment out the same on each page your print
in otherwords
if you do a run of 3 sheets of labels
is the mis-alignment the same on each
or is it moving by a line or two eachtime?

dx

BrianJM
21-Nov-11, 05:34
A long time ago (DOS 6.2/Windows 3.x), I had a similar problem which turned out to be a conflict between UK and US paper sizes.
At the time I needed a quick fix so adjusted the vertical size of the label and two test runs later I was ready to print labels.

dx100uk
21-Nov-11, 12:18
yep thats where i was going
page on word is set to LETTER size
printer is A4

change pagesize to A4 and hit default button.

also make s ure your region is set to UK not us

if shift+2 does not give "

that will do it too!

dx

dirdyweeker
22-Nov-11, 21:40
I have a spring in my step and a smile on my face tonight. Thanks to Demac-artist, a star! I know they say you get a lot of help from fellow Orgers but this one went out of her way to personally assist. She came, she visited and she fixed my whole problem......I HAVE LABELS! To say I am truly grateful would be an understatement. If anyone ever has a computer problem this is the one who will help. I DO appreciate all others for their advice and input. So glad now that i came on here to resolve the long running problem, THANKS Demac-artist! :)