PDA

View Full Version : Marching Orders

Doug Country
14-Nov-11, 23:31
Just watched the clip of the Rememberance Day Parade in Wick on Sunday. A good turnout of old and young in the parade, but I wish someone would have spent more time with the cadets to teach them how to march properly and to march in time, some of them are all over the place.

If it wasn't such a somber occasion then the clip wouldn't look out of place on You've Been Framed.

pat
15-Nov-11, 00:05
Doug Country
Make the effort and go volunteer with the cadets, help teach them to march in step - time and effort well spent for future years services, you can make a difference.
Am sure you will not be turned away from any of the youth units, volunteers are usually welcomed.

golach
15-Nov-11, 00:13
Pat I totally agree with you.
D Country, they are "Cadets" not Guardsmen, give the bairns a break, if you feel so bad , go and show them how to march.

cptdodger
15-Nov-11, 00:27
Marching in time or not, at least they were there to show their respect. With criticism like that, they might just not bother next year.

theone
15-Nov-11, 02:21
At least these young people had the decency to give up their own time on a Sunday morning to pay their respects instead of just watching it on Youtube.

Shame on you. And well done to them.

poppett
15-Nov-11, 09:32
There were a few missed steps at the Royal Albert Hall too, but no comment on that, just give the bairns a hard time. I am just delighted that there is somewhere for young folks to go to learn basic skills and hopefully lead a decent life in the future.

Gronnuck
15-Nov-11, 09:47
Just watched the clip of the Rememberance Day Parade in Wick on Sunday. A good turnout of old and young in the parade, but I wish someone would have spent more time with the cadets to teach them how to march properly and to march in time, some of them are all over the place.

If it wasn't such a somber occasion then the clip wouldn't look out of place on You've Been Framed.

Doug Country I think you're being very unkind. Anyone who has marched can identify the problem immediately. The Band has led the march with a stride that is too long accompanied by a beat that's too slow. Whoever was in charge of the parade should have ensured the appropriate adjustments were made. The adults leading the parade should have shortened their stride and the pace should have been increased to 120 beats per minute. Another problem would have been the echo of the drum as they marched in a street surrounded by high buildings. The cadets didn't stand a chance; but all credit to them they made an effort. Let's hope the adults will accommodate them properly next year.

Eilanboy
15-Nov-11, 10:23
Doug Country I think you're being very unkind. Anyone who has marched can identify the problem immediately. The Band has led the march with a stride that is too long accompanied by a beat that's too slow. Whoever was in charge of the parade should have ensured the appropriate adjustments were made. The adults leading the parade should have shortened their stride and the pace should have been increased to 120 beats per minute. Another problem would have been the echo of the drum as they marched in a street surrounded by high buildings. The cadets didn't stand a chance; but all credit to them they made an effort. Let's hope the adults will accommodate them properly next year.

Given that you have obviously have vast experience on how to march and what length of stride and pace the parade should march at I take it you will be putting your name forward for parade commander next year.Ithink you forget the parade is primarily for the older veterans who served our nation so well and they would have had great difficultty marching at 120 paces to the minute.
Just for your information the band did increase the tempo from what they normally march to.
No criticism of the cadets it was great to see so many on parade from the three services.
I take you were on the parade!!!!!!

lab
15-Nov-11, 10:38
I have to say the caithness cadets do a grand job. My son was a cadet from the age of 12 - 16 where he then won a place at Harrogate army foundation college. He is now a sapper having passed out top recruit, all through his trade training it was mentioned that the CO could tell he was once a cadet because his skills were over and above those not.
The only complaint anyone ever had was the fact they are taught to buff their boots too shiney.
The only thing about the video i noticed was the apathy from the locals ,they were not exactly lined along the streets showing support.

Gronnuck
15-Nov-11, 11:32
Given that you have obviously have vast experience on how to march and what length of stride and pace the parade should march at I take it you will be putting your name forward for parade commander next year.

Thank you for the invitation; but no I shall not be putting my name forward.

Ithink you forget the parade is primarily for the older veterans who served our nation so well and they would have had great difficultty marching at 120 paces to the minute.

No I didn't forget about the older veterans. I've attended too many Remembrance Parades to forget. The main point of my post was to point out the need for compromise to accommodate everyone. The cadets of all services need our encouragement and one way of doing this is to welcome their participation in activities such as this.

Just for your information the band did increase the tempo from what they normally march to.

Good. Yet it did seem significantly slower than the beat for the march past the Cenotaph.

No criticism of the cadets it was great to see so many on parade from the three services.

I agree; I did say, "all credit to them they made an effort." I hope you will agree that they are our future and should be encouraged.

I take you were on the parade!!!!!!

No I wasn't in Wick - I was elsewhere.
I apologise Eilanboy, my comments obviously offended you. My intention was to offer constructive criticism in the hope that they would help the organisers recognise the need to compromise and cater for our young people.

Eilanboy
15-Nov-11, 12:27
Thank you for the invitation; but no I shall not be putting my name forward.

No I didn't forget about the older veterans. I've attended too many Remembrance Parades to forget. The main point of my post was to point out the need for compromise to accommodate everyone. The cadets of all services need our encouragement and one way of doing this is to welcome their participation in activities such as this.

Good. Yet it did seem significantly slower than the beat for the march past the Cenotaph.

I agree; I did say, "all credit to them they made an effort." I hope you will agree that they are our future and should be encouraged.

No I wasn't in Wick - I was elsewhere.
I apologise Eilanboy, my comments obviously offended you. My intention was to offer constructive criticism in the hope that they would help the organisers recognise the need to compromise and cater for our young people.

No problem Gronnuck apologies accepted.We do our best to cater for them and appreciate the problems they have.