PDA

View Full Version : Freeview probs

porshiepoo
14-Nov-11, 18:21
Getting so annoyed with this now.
We have a built in freeview on the TV and almost every day I'm having to re=scan the stupid thing cos it keeps losing channels. Any ideas what could cause this?
We have some kind of booster box in the attic that is supposed to make these things better [disgust]
How do I find out the best position for the aerial without OH having to schlep all the way into the attic and yell down to us? We'd need a conveyor system of 3 people just to do that!

Corrie 3
14-Nov-11, 18:28
Ditch it and get FreeSat !!!

C3.

Kodiak
14-Nov-11, 18:33
Or gown the best route, get SKY. They have got some deals right now.

shazzap
14-Nov-11, 18:38
Or gown the best route, get SKY. They have got some deals right now.

I have Sky. But find a lot is repeated.

Liz
14-Nov-11, 20:02
What is your signal strength and quality Porshiepoo?

Your aerial needs to be facing towards Rumster. Can you see the mast from your house?

Apart from a few glitches I am really happy with Freeview and even more so since I treated myself to an HD PVR. It's been amazing to see 'Frozen Planet' in glorious HD for free!

Moonboots
15-Nov-11, 10:44
Freeview can be trouble free if its setup correctly.

As what Liz says, check the signal strength and quality.

You also say you have a booster in the loft, could you please explain more. Boosters are only used to increase the signal, If you are in an area which does not need it then this will cause problems.

Could you advise on where you live and does anyone else (neighbour etc) have any problems too.

porshiepoo
15-Nov-11, 21:36
The aerial is pointed toward Rumster forest and we live close by so maybe we don't actually need the booster. I think the booster was put in to improve reception over the entire house.
OH is gonna check the aerial is pointed correctly at the weekend and I aint sure how to check signal strength as is doesn't automatically show up on this tv. Think I'll dig out the instruction book and check everything is correct and find that signal strength.
Will get back with the results.

Liz
16-Nov-11, 00:22
It sounds as if you might have too strong a signal with using a booster when you are so close to the Rumster Forest transmitter.

Hope you find the instruction book to check the signal strength and quality. Might be easy enough to find using the Menu button.

Good luck! :)

south view 7
16-Nov-11, 22:02
Hi porshiepoo,i live in ulbster and had problems last week and again this week but i think it is a result of this s/e wind causing a problem at the mast (just my o p ) the signal strength was down below 50% at times,i have an aerial that sits on top of the set and normaly it is ok but i notice the signal starts to drift when the wind starts to get up.

orkneycadian
16-Nov-11, 23:37
i ...... had problems last week and again this week ..... the signal strength was down below 50% at times,i have an aerial that sits on top of the set

Nuff said....

Liz
16-Nov-11, 23:52
Hi porshiepoo,i live in ulbster and had problems last week and again this week but i think it is a result of this s/e wind causing a problem at the mast (just my o p ) the signal strength was down below 50% at times,i have an aerial that sits on top of the set and normaly it is ok but i notice the signal starts to drift when the wind starts to get up.

The wind wouldn't cause a problem at the mast.

You really need a wideband aerial to get the best out of Freeview.

Kevin Milkins
17-Nov-11, 00:35
Mine seem to have sorted itself out now, Free-view Problems (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?161061-Freeview-Problems&p=901623#post901623) and I'm no closer to discovering what caused my issue or what put it right.

rhian
17-Nov-11, 23:31
I think you are very lucky to be getting anything, we only get 19 channels in Tongue. Does anybody know a way to improve on that ?

orkneycadian
17-Nov-11, 23:39
Move?.....

Kodiak
18-Nov-11, 14:28
I think you are very lucky to be getting anything, we only get 19 channels in Tongue. Does anybody know a way to improve on that ?

Get SKY and you will be OK. :D

rhian
18-Nov-11, 23:01
Move?..... Thanks for that orkneycadian, not the selfish response i was looking for. Still you may need advice some day and hopefully someone like yourself will come forward with a similar response.

orkneycadian
18-Nov-11, 23:36
Well, since only that number of Freeview channels are broadcast in that area, what are you expecting? Some kind of magic aerial that can pick up Freeview channels that aren't there?

Now, anyone got any ideas where in Kirkwall I can buy Marks and Spencer goods..... ;-)

Kestrel 1
20-Nov-11, 23:01
Well, since only that number of Freeview channels are broadcast in that area, what are you expecting? Some kind of magic aerial that can pick up Freeview channels that aren't there?
time for you to
Now, anyone got any ideas where in Kirkwall I can buy Marks and Spencer goods..... ;-) Oh that's really helpful. Luckily there's not many like you about.

secrets in symmetry
20-Nov-11, 23:54

Well, since only that number of Freeview channels are broadcast in that area, what are you expecting?
I didn't know that only 19 Freeview channels are broadcast to the Tongue area. How many can you currently get in Caithness and Orkney right now? (My experience is a couple of years out of date.)

Can you get HD (for example, BBC1 HD and STV HD) on Freeview in Caithness/Orkney?

I almost never watch Freeview - so, being a sad pedant, I have just counted the number of channels I can get. It comes to around 60 - not including the likes of Babestation and Gay Rabbit, which I don't count as proper channels!

I don't seem to be able to get HD on Freeview, but I don't know whether that's because it isn't broadcast, or if it's just that my TV can't pick them up without a fancy box...or a magic aerial. :cool:

Liz
21-Nov-11, 00:13
There are over 60 Freeview channels available.

There are four HD channels with a fifth coming soon but you need a 'fancy box' ;) in the form of an HD Freeview Box and an HD or HD ready telly.

Rhian you will need a wideband aerial to be able to get more Freeview channels. Also not all Freeview boxes are equal.
My personal choice is Humax as they are more 'sensitive' and can pick up weaker signals.

Wizzbang
21-Nov-11, 00:31
Ideally a high gain antenna designed for the free view channels, Located outside and if possible away from obstructions.
It needs to be pointing towards the transmitting mast. Yagi uda or just yagi antennas as they are called are very directional. The more elements they have the higher the gain but also the narrower the beam. So if you are further away from the transmitter then a more accurate alignment is required.
Hope this helps.

secrets in symmetry
21-Nov-11, 01:24

There are four HD channels with a fifth coming soon but you need a 'fancy box' ;) in the form of an HD Freeview Box and an HD or HD ready telly.Thanks for the channel count. :cool:

I did my homework, and apparently you need either a TV with Freeview HD built in, or (as you say) a Freeview HD digital box. An "HD Ready" TV isn't enough - unless you have cable or Sky.

JamesMcVean
21-Nov-11, 04:56
Now, anyone got any ideas where in Kirkwall I can buy Marks and Spencer goods..... ;-)

www.marksandspencer.com/

Anywhere in Orkney as long as you got a computer or a fancy phone!

rhian
21-Nov-11, 10:19

There are four HD channels with a fifth coming soon but you need a 'fancy box' ;) in the form of an HD Freeview Box and an HD or HD ready telly.

Rhian you will need a wideband aerial to be able to get more Freeview channels. Also not all Freeview boxes are equal.
My personal choice is Humax as they are more 'sensitive' and can pick up weaker signals. Thanks Liz, great response, that's the information I was looking for, I'll get onto to that.

rhian
21-Nov-11, 10:20
Ideally a high gain antenna designed for the free view channels, Located outside and if possible away from obstructions.
It needs to be pointing towards the transmitting mast. Yagi uda or just yagi antennas as they are called are very directional. The more elements they have the higher the gain but also the narrower the beam. So if you are further away from the transmitter then a more accurate alignment is required.
Hope this helps. Many thanks also Wizzbang, another great repsonse.

Liz
21-Nov-11, 12:49
Thanks for the channel count. :cool:

I did my homework, and apparently you need either a TV with Freeview HD built in, or (as you say) a Freeview HD digital box. An "HD Ready" TV isn't enough - unless you have cable or Sky.

An HD ready telly is fine as programmes are only broadcast in 1080i. You will only benefit from 1080p when using Blu-Ray or Games and even then you might not notice the difference.Especially if you have a smaller screen size ie under 42 inches.

I have an HD ready telly and the HD channels are great. Programmes like 'Frozen Planet' are stunning! :)

Liz
21-Nov-11, 12:51
Thanks Liz, great response, that's the information I was looking for, I'll get onto to that.

You are very welcome. :) You might also need new coax cable depending on the condition of what you have already.

I got a wideband aerial at first but still couldn't get all the channels but after I also got the coax cable replaced I got them all.

theone
21-Nov-11, 12:54
An HD ready telly is fine as programmes are only broadcast in 1080i. You will only benefit from 1080p when using Blu-Ray or Games and even then you might not notice the difference.Especially if you have a smaller screen size ie under 42 inches.

True, but many 'HD ready' TV's only go up to 720p, so you might not get the maximum available.

Liz
21-Nov-11, 13:31
True, but many 'HD ready' TV's only go up to 720p, so you might not get the maximum available.

I didn't realise that. Not sure whether Sky broadcast in 720p or 1080i?

As I said though, I'm not really sure whether we'd see much difference between the different formats? I tried both 720p and 1080i and they both look really good.
Probably also depends on how good the telly is.

theone
21-Nov-11, 14:01
I didn't realise that. Not sure whether Sky broadcast in 720p or 1080i?

As I said though, I'm not really sure whether we'd see much difference between the different formats? I tried both 720p and 1080i and they both look really good.
Probably also depends on how good the telly is.

Sky is 1080i.

You only get 1080p in the UK through blu-ray or on games consoles.

I definitely noticed a difference when I upgraded from 720p to 1080i, but that might have been down to the better quality TV as much as the upscaling.

Liz
21-Nov-11, 14:07
Sky is 1080i.

You only get 1080p in the UK through blu-ray or on games consoles.

I definitely noticed a difference when I upgraded from 720p to 1080i, but that might have been down to the better quality TV as much as the upscaling.

I have a really good telly (Panasonic Plasma) and have it set to 1080i which I find best but wasn't a lot of difference on 720p. Of course it probably depends on the programme as well.

What size is your telly as I think it's more noticable on bigger screens?

theone
21-Nov-11, 14:09
I have a really good telly (Panasonic Plasma) and have it set to 1080i which I find best but wasn't a lot of difference on 720p. Of course it probably depends on the programme as well.

What size is your telly as I think it's more noticable on bigger screens?

I've got 42" at home and a 60" at work. Both better at 1080i than 720p.

Liz
21-Nov-11, 14:25
You probably see the difference on bigger screens.

I'd love a 42" telly but don't think it will fit into the corner of my living room and don't want to put it on the wall.

Will be forced to get one when mine goes to telly heaven though as Panasonic aren't making 37" Plasmas any more. :(

Having said that I am delighted with mine and HD telly and Blu Ray are brilliant.

orkneycadian
21-Nov-11, 21:17
I didn't know that only 19 Freeview channels are broadcast to the Tongue area. How many can you currently get in Caithness and Orkney right now? (My experience is a couple of years out of date.)

This bitty here

http://www.ukfree.tv/shutdowndetail.php?tx=NC604588
(http://www.ukfree.tv/shutdowndetail.php?tx=NC604588)
says what is being broadcast from Ben Tongue - 19 channels if you discount Rabbit, Gay Rabbit and the HD stations which are just clones of the non HD channels, and not visible if not using HD equipment.

So, Rhian, before you go lashing out on aerials and what not as suggested by some, check what you are getting vs what is being transmitted. If you are already getting them all, then your gonna need one heck of an aerial to see past Ben Tongue to Rumster Forest!

secrets in symmetry
23-Nov-11, 00:29

I have an HD ready telly and the HD channels are great. Programmes like 'Frozen Planet' are stunning! :)Liz, I'm not sure whether you're agreeing with my comment or not!

I was attempting to reiterate what I found on this Freeview website (http://www.freeview.co.uk/availability/main/display/coverage/PE15 0TY/NA/0):

To view these HD channels you will need an HD ready TV and a Freeview HD digital box or digital TV recorder or a TV with Freeview HD built in.

I have an "HD ready" TV but I can't pick up Freeview HD channels - presumably because my TV doesn't have built-in Freeview HD, and I don't have a Freeview HD "fancy box".

Anyway, it's not important - because I can get lots of HD channels via the magic wire that comes into the house through the front wall. But thanks for pointing me in the right direction anyway. :cool:

This bitty here

says what is being broadcast from Ben Tongue - 19 channels if you discount Rabbit, Gay Rabbit and the HD stations which are just clones of the non HD channels, and not visible if not using HD equipment.

So, Rhian, before you go lashing out on aerials and what not as suggested by some, check what you are getting vs what is being transmitted. If you are already getting them all, then your gonna need one heck of an aerial to see past Ben Tongue to Rumster Forest!Thanks Orkneycadianmannie.

I suspect Rhian won't be wanting to splash out on a magic aerial just to get Babestation and 1-2-1 Dating, but some of the other missing channels are good ones.

Liz
23-Nov-11, 00:41
I was just referring to you saying that an HD ready telly isn't enough but it is if you get a Freeview HD 'fancy box'. :)

You're right in that the only way you'd get HD on your telly is if it has a Freeview HD tuner built in.

I take it your 'magic wire' is Sky?

secrets in symmetry
23-Nov-11, 00:57
Ok, good, I thought I was perhaps being particularly dense on Sunday....

My magic wire is...magic! :cool:

All that happens is that some numbers appear on my bank statement every month, and, in return, I get lots of HD channels. That seems like genuine magic to me. :cool:

Liz
23-Nov-11, 00:59
Ha ha is your name Paul Daniels?! ;)

secrets in symmetry
23-Nov-11, 01:11
I'll be your Paul Daniels if you'll be my Debbie McGee. :cool:

I'll even give you a shot of my magic wire lol!

Liz
23-Nov-11, 12:59
I like you but not a lot! :D

Like the sound of your magic wire though. ;)

secrets in symmetry
23-Nov-11, 23:43
Lol! It took me a few seconds to remember Paul Daniel's catchphrase.

My magic wire is magic but it's not cheap - so I just have to find a way of not having those not so magic numbers appear on my bank statement each month....

Liz
23-Nov-11, 23:46
Well I did deviate from the original. ;)

Och your magic wire isn't very magic or it would make your bank account numbers disappear! lol

secrets in symmetry
23-Nov-11, 23:49
I wouldn't recommend going too far down the route of deviant catchphrases - or Paul might set Debbie on you!

My magic wire is too magic - it causes those numbers to reappear every month - using nothing but magic!

Liz
24-Nov-11, 00:25
Haaaaaaaaa I'm not frightened of her. She's a skinny wee thing!

Sounds like black magic to me and don't mean the chocolates. :D

secrets in symmetry
25-Nov-11, 00:14
I'm sure you'll come away smelling of Roses. :cool:

Coincidentally, I have a tin of Roses on the floor at my feet. Unfortunately, it's empty....

Liz
25-Nov-11, 01:48
An empty tin of Roses is not Good News! ;)

secrets in symmetry
26-Nov-11, 00:42
You're such a Smartie-pants at this game. :cool:

I hope you're comfortably Nestled in your bed at this time on a stormy night.

Liz
26-Nov-11, 00:50
Think we've taken this thread off Topic! :D

I am snuggled up with my Five Boys ;) Now that is giving my age away!!!lol

secrets in symmetry
26-Nov-11, 00:58
Five Boys! I think that makes you greedy!

But each Toblerone - what happens Twix you and them is none of my business. I hope you have an evening of Turkish Delight, but make sure you don't lose your Snickers!

Liz
26-Nov-11, 01:08
Haaaaaaa that is brilliant! You should get a Golden Cup for that!

I'm not that kind of girl and not at all Opal Fruity. No careless Whispas! ;)

secrets in symmetry
26-Nov-11, 02:19
I heard you weren't averse to the odd Curly Wurly, and I'm sure you know a finger of Fudge is just enough to give your kids a treat. :cool:

porshiepoo
26-Nov-11, 15:03
Well we finally mustered the troops to create a chain from the attic to the front room and absolutely no joy!
The TV says the 'signal quality is excellent' but the signal strength only appears to be a tad over half way on the meter. Couldn't get a better signal no matter what we did. Any ideas?

carrepairman
26-Nov-11, 16:40
Firstly check in your program list that there are no channels listed in the 800 group, Ie: beginning with for example 801 for bbc 1 etc, If so check the signal strength for 801 and see if is better than 101. The reason for this is that due to certain atmospheric conditions your tv/set top box can pick up a signal from a different transmitter and automatically store it where it thinks it should be, thus displacing your original channel to the 800`s. If that is the case do a retune with the aerial lead disconnected so that all channels are cleared and then do a retune with the lead back in. Also check in your manual if there is a menu setting to disable automatic channel updates. I have had this problem myself from the transmitter across the Moray Firth, so it does happen. It is also worth noting that the signal meters on most tv`s are a rough guide and do take a moment or two to refresh and signal quality is more impotant than strength. Try moving the aerial when the tv is tuned to The History channel or Sky 3 as these are weaker in power than the others.
This is just one possibility, there are quite a few others, keep us updated.

porshiepoo
26-Nov-11, 16:57
No channels listed in the 800 brackets.
The manual doesn't seem to help much.
What is the best co ax (think that's right) to use from the back of the TV to the aerial point? I shall just check all the responses on here again and make sure that question wasn't answered.
Failing that, I'm hoping that OH will get so annoyed by his stupid war programmes being affected that he'll agree to going back to Sky. lol. See, always a silver lining!

carrepairman
26-Nov-11, 17:12
Use a foil screened coax cable something like CT100 or better, The easey way to tell, take off the plug at the end, the inner wire should be a single copper core, seperated from the outer wire by a foam insulator and the outer wire should be a sheet of copper, not strands. I have ten to twenty feet of it, If you want it you are welcome to it.

carrepairman
26-Nov-11, 17:36
Just checked and of course sky3 is now pick tv and the history channel is now called Yesterday, shows how much I watch them.........

rhian
28-Nov-11, 20:49
This bitty here

So, Rhian, before you go lashing out on aerials and what not as suggested by some, check what you are getting vs what is being transmitted. If you are already getting them all, then your gonna need one heck of an aerial to see past Ben Tongue to Rumster Forest!

Yes you are spot on orkneycadian, further research shows that whatever equipment is installed, 19 channels is the max from this transmitter. Thanks.