PDA

View Full Version : New home.

cuddlepop
20-Oct-06, 22:02
Wish and her family will be arriving in Portree at the weekend and Iwas just wondering what would make them feel at home and welcome.Her eldest is upset there going but the youngest is fine.
My own Kids are rebelious teenagers and her's are still in primary.
Help.:(

Kingetter
20-Oct-06, 22:21
Wish and her family will be arriving in Portree at the weekend and Iwas just wondering what would make them feel at home and welcome.Her eldest is upset there going but the youngest is fine.

A real rip-roaring party of some sort so everyone forgets the reason for it?

cuddlepop
20-Oct-06, 22:28
Would be a good idea but it just might compromise Mr Wish.:lol:
My problem is do I go up and say hello or do I wait for Mrs Wish to contact me.?Decisions,decisions.

Kingetter
20-Oct-06, 22:32
I guess I don't know enough about the circumstances/people to be more help and maybe open forums not suitable to discuss those details. Compromise? Life's all about compromise.

cuddlepop
20-Oct-06, 22:35
Point taken.
Just wondering what would make someone feel less like a stranger in a new place.:)

Kingetter
20-Oct-06, 22:39
Point taken.
Just wondering what would make someone feel less like a stranger in a new place.:)
Meeting people who don't treat the 'new person' as a stranger?
Mi casa, su casa?

Alice in Blunderland
20-Oct-06, 22:40
Give her a couple of days then a quick hello in passing when out with the dog .If her kids are anything like mine they will be taken with the dog.Also a huge bottle of alcohol to help steady the nerves after the flit if like me with kids involved it makes the move ten times more hassling.:lol:

sassylass
21-Oct-06, 02:58
I would think any newcomer would appreciate a brief, warm welcome ;)

JAWS
21-Oct-06, 04:40
Depends how far they have to come. If they have travelled for some distance and how near you are.

It's odds on that the kettle, cups, pans etc have hidden themselves somewhere at the bottom of the pile somewhere. The magic appearance of a welcome brew and perhaps some soup or a bit to eat might be welcome.

One thing is almost certain to be welcome with two tiny "monsters" around and that is some help keeping out of mischief. It's odds on that they will either tired, bored and cranky or excited as hell and on top note. Either way they are likely to be intent on driving their parents to distraction.

Just a thought.

Ann
21-Oct-06, 09:52

I have just started a thread as a welcome to Wish; I hope that you will all join in and do our bit to help CP make Wish feel at home.

CP, how about (if you know where she is going to live) a wee card or note through the door saying welcome and offering to help if needed? Cheers. :)

katarina
21-Oct-06, 10:00
I
CP, how about (if you know where she is going to live) a wee card or note through the door saying welcome and offering to help if needed? Cheers. :)

Yes, if it was me - that would be appreciated. Or even send her a pm with your tel. no. then it would be her choice to contact you or not.

lauraspetportraits
21-Oct-06, 10:57
Meeting people who don't treat the 'new person' as a stranger?

Hi Kingetter you got it! We've just moved up and it's been really nice chatting to the neighbours and people in town.

And i'm sure once Wish sets up her PC and reads this message she'll feel very welcome and happy that you (Cuddlepop in particular) are so worried about her. :D

cuddlepop
21-Oct-06, 11:28
Thanks everyone.
Have sent all my contact details so she has them.I know where she's moving too so the thought of the card through the door is ideal.There moving from Yorkshire so its a fair treck but I'm the other side of the village so just cant pop in.(dont drive).Might not get her PC up and running for a few days so I'll suggest coffee and a walk with our dogs pdq.
I know when I moved here it was a shock to the system,its so quiet and with wee ones and winter approaching terrifying.
We'll just have to wait and see :eek:

Kingetter
21-Oct-06, 12:02
Just a thought - and one I can't personally do much about, from a distance, but wouldn't it be nice for Wish to get a Welcome bunch of flowers - needn't cost the earth but flowers can make a big difference to the feel of a place. A card saying "From all your orger friends"?

Ricco
21-Oct-06, 13:03
Would be a good idea but it just might compromise Mr Wish.:lol:
My problem is do I go up and say hello or do I wait for Mrs Wish to contact me.?Decisions,decisions.

Cuddlepop - you go, of course. They'll be feeling nervous, wondering if the locals will like them, wondering if they will fit in. Try reading the sad tale of MrMiguel. Give them a big warm, Scottish welcome.:)