PDA

View Full Version : Low self esteem!!!

danc1ngwitch
20-Oct-06, 21:41
I worked with a man not long ago who was a little over weight but dispite
this he was very bubbly, and came across as being full of confidence.
He then one day said to me that inside he was the complete oppisite
of what everyone thought.
He said he was not happy within and thought very little about himself.
I was taken aback and listened.
Made me think from that day on about maybe some people if not alot of US
wear Masks to cover our true feelings and fears.

Kingetter
20-Oct-06, 21:44
I worked with a man not long ago who was a little over weight but dispite
this he was very bubbly, and came across as being full of confidence.
He then one day said to me that inside he was the complete oppisite
of what everyone thought.
He said he was not happy within and thought very little about himself.
I was taken aback and listened.
Made me think from that day on about maybe some people if not alot of US
wear Masks to cover our true feelings and fears.

Problem is, there are many like that but you may never know when you pass them in the street or shops etc. Years of practice, until "the actor has become the part".

gleeber
20-Oct-06, 21:46
Aye its a common thing. There are libraries full of books about the subject and a billion pound industry to help people cope.
Join the gang. :eek:

canuck
20-Oct-06, 21:52
Very common, very real, very wasteful of positive human potential.

Kingetter
20-Oct-06, 21:58
Very common, very real, very wasteful of positive human potential.

and a very poor reflection on mankind - the (so called) superior species.

sweetpea
20-Oct-06, 23:13
I read this with dismay but not surprise, about how he felt. He must be hurting inside.

jemmima-june
21-Oct-06, 02:11
and the worst of it is that some people make others feel like that intentionally

Kingetter
21-Oct-06, 02:26
And, the time of the year is upon us for S.A.D. which only makes things worse.

Ricco
21-Oct-06, 13:15
Low self esteem is such a nasty thing. It is vicious, self-feeding and completely destroying. It leaves you feeling so lonely and wondering what is wrong with you. When you are in this state it is so hard to get out of it; people avoid you because they can see that you have 'problems' and they don't want to get involved.

The thing is.. it only takes a kind chat, a quick 'Hello' to start a chain reaction of improvement in someone who is very down. An occasional meeting for a cup of coffee or something. I am eternally grateful that someone took that time with me some years ago!

Kingetter
21-Oct-06, 14:28
Maybe this is one of the pluses for the forum - gets folk in touch with each other from which, meaningful friendships can and I am sure do result. This said, but not overlooking the miserable minority who create the emnity.

cuddlepop
21-Oct-06, 14:31
Its only when you've been there yourself or know someone that has ,can you ttruly understand the damage low self estem does.Its like an infection that slowly eats away at the person from the inside until nothing is left.
If I can I speak to everyone I meet,you never know the person who you say hello to may never have spoken to anyone that day.
We can/do live in a sefish world.[disgust]

jemmima-june
21-Oct-06, 16:40
Low self esteem is such a nasty thing. It is vicious, self-feeding and completely destroying. It leaves you feeling so lonely and wondering what is wrong with you. When you are in this state it is so hard to get out of it; people avoid you because they can see that you have 'problems' and they don't want to get involved.

The thing is.. it only takes a kind chat, a quick 'Hello' to start a chain reaction of improvement in someone who is very down. An occasional meeting for a cup of coffee or something. I am eternally grateful that someone took that time with me some years ago!

I am so glad that someone helped you it took me many many years to believe i was a person that people liked and i had a horrible time in Wick and left home at 16 to get away but in all the years i have smiled and said hello to people without realising that every smile i received back (and there were many) cheered me up and probably cheered them up as well a smile can be a wonderful gift

Kingetter
21-Oct-06, 16:48
I am so glad that someone helped you it took me many many years to believe i was a person that people liked and i had a horrible time in Wick and left home at 16 to get away but in all the years i have smiled and said hello to people without realising that every smile i received back (and there were many) cheered me up and probably cheered them up as well a smile can be a wonderful gift

Which makes you (j-j) and others who have suffered thus, ideal to help others who are needing help though of course they (the sufferers) need to come forward and seek help first.

jemmima-june
21-Oct-06, 17:25
The hardest part of having a low self esteem or lack of confidence is in telling yourself that you really are a nice person and people really do enjoy your company and really really believing it yourself.
Once you can convince yourself that others you associate with like you and enjpy your company and you look forward to spending time with them that is when it is easier to accept help and open up a whole new world for yourself.
There are so many of us out here too cautious for saying anything in case we are knocked back or ridiculed and hey so what nice people dont do that....we wouldnt do that.......so hey we are the nice guys.......come sit at our table chat to us

Kingetter
21-Oct-06, 19:38
The hardest part of having a low self esteem or lack of confidence is in telling yourself that you really are a nice person and people really do enjoy your company and really really believing it yourself.
Once you can convince yourself that others you associate with like you and enjpy your company and you look forward to spending time with them that is when it is easier to accept help and open up a whole new world for yourself.
There are so many of us out here too cautious for saying anything in case we are knocked back or ridiculed and hey so what nice people dont do that....we wouldnt do that.......so hey we are the nice guys.......come sit at our table chat to us

On here, if one needs a wee blether to help perk ourselves up a bit there's PM's.

htwood
21-Oct-06, 19:51
Yes indeedy, a very common thing, and so insidious, sometimes they hardly know its upon them until lives are adversely affected. Sadly, the only person who hears the negative self-talk is the one who is producing it!

So is it just a habit that can be changed, or do they get something from it? Something painful but familiar?

"I will remain the same until the pain of remaining the same becomes greater than the pain of change."

Cedric Farthsbottom III
21-Oct-06, 20:11
Had low self asteem until one of ma teachers gave me a part in a school play.It took me oot ma shell and gave me a bit o confidence.He's passed away,but I'll never forget him.:D

danc1ngwitch
21-Oct-06, 22:05
here's to the up's and up's in life x

Kingetter
21-Oct-06, 22:06
here's to the up's and up's in life x

I'll drink to that!

sweetpea
21-Oct-06, 23:29
and the worst of it is that some people make others feel like that intentionally
Yes they do but because of their own innadequacies. Don't let anyone put you down. If you have love in your heart and kindness in your words you can't go wrong.

angela5
21-Oct-06, 23:31
Yes they do but because of their own innadequacies. Don't let anyone put you down. If you have love in your heart and kindness in your words you can't go wrong.

Very true sweetpea.