PDA

View Full Version : Black Jocks

Kenn
14-Nov-11, 00:29
Is it a thing local to me or are there an extrodinary amount of blackbirds in the county?
Counted 30 near the links in 1 small field today and they seem to be sitting on every branch and fence.
Think they must be migrants as there are quite a few that have black beaks which I understand is quite common amongst the scandinavian ones, even had 1 at the bird feeder but they are very timid so not managed a decent photo yet.

spurtle
16-Nov-11, 10:39
They certainly are migratory, and there has been a particularly heavy arrival this past fortnight

r.rackstraw
16-Nov-11, 22:44
Yes there are unusually numerous and new lots keep arriving. Saw a mixed flock with Fieldfares this morning.
Some have been pretty tired - even my dog caught one on Sarurday. Unharmed I am glad to say.

Kenn
17-Nov-11, 01:22
Was watching a very mixed flock near Westfield today, blackbirds (many showing black beaks) along with Fieldfares and Redwings was an absolute delight.

WeeBurd
18-Nov-11, 11:40
We've lots of Blackchocks in our garden at the moment, Lizz, but it's been along time coming - we've had none since August!

I've been blethering to them all, particularly the Daddy ones, in the hope that one was our tame fellow, The Phantom Fingernail... I'm delighted to report he finally showed face two days ago. After being AWOL for three whole months, he landed in our rowan tree, and immediated flew over onto the window when I called. Needless to say he got a right earbashing from me for being missing for so long! Still, I'm so relieved to see him back safe and sound :D.

Backlass
19-Nov-11, 19:22
Yes, there have been large number of them about, and still are today, for example at Scotscalder