PDA

View Full Version : Tattoo's !!!

danc1ngwitch
20-Oct-06, 21:28
I recently went to get a Tattoo done a small 4 leaf clover
above ma thumb on the back of the wrist.
Nope i couldna get it done as i am pregnant, might start me off they said.
which is fair enough.
It set me of thinkin about how people get all this art work
on their bodies, maybe as part of rituals, etc.
Maybe they used to use it for other means, maybe to recognize each other
in times of need.
Why I want ma Tattoo? well it feels right, as good a reason as any..LoL
It's ma excuse an I'm sticking to it..x

changilass
20-Oct-06, 21:30
Get the stick on tattoos, at least that way when you get bored you can just wash them off:lol:

sweetpea
20-Oct-06, 23:19
I'd love one but it scares me to think I could end up in an old folks home with a wrinkly bum with horrible tattoo on it. But I do love this form of art on other people.

Tugmistress
21-Oct-06, 00:47
I have several (ok i have 14) and i don't regret any of them. I thought long and hard and knew that once i had them they were there to stay.
yes i had one removed (i was young and easily influenced at the time) and that i do regret, i wish i had kept it now.
all my tattoos are 'hideable' by clothes which is what is important, you don't want to turn up and be branded 'a thug' anywhere just because you have tattoos.
if you have one think about what it will look like when you are 70+, will it bother you who sees it, if so can you hide it in all weathers if neccessary, etc
i love my tattoos, they can usually only be seen in summer but it does not phase me as to who sees or knows about them. i am proud of my body art.

moonshadow
21-Oct-06, 01:28
i have 4 tattoos and only really regret one of them. i chose it without much thought, i liked it at the time of choosing, but it was a very common design and i hate it because of that, but now that ive had it for almost ten years i feel its part of me. my other tattoos were all done after i had thought long and hard about them and the designs.
my advice is to have a design that means something to you, or to create your own design.

saffy100
21-Oct-06, 10:33
I'd love one but it scares me to think I could end up in an old folks home with a wrinkly bum with horrible tattoo on it. But I do love this form of art on other people.

People always say to me " what about when your old"....but remember the people saying this are usually slightly older in years when tatoos were only found on men and usually rough and tough old geezers. These days lots of people have them, they are accepted, and i suspect that when i'm in an old peoples home all the other people in there will be from my generation and they would probably have em anyway...lol..

saffy100

Piglet
21-Oct-06, 10:40
I have 1 tattoo - i had wanted one for years then went out & got it. No regrets.

i was terrified of telling my mother (even tho i was married with kids & 26 yrs old) but she thought it was great. :lol:

Billy Boy
21-Oct-06, 12:28
i got a tattoo for done 14year ago with mr billy boy's name on it,and a lot of my mates thought i was wrong,( incase we split up), but i thought long and hard about it before doing it and i certainly dont regret it.
I really want another one done just havent got round to getting it done it yet:D
but i would say that it is something you have to be absolutley sure about.

Hibeechick
21-Oct-06, 12:39
I have 5. Each and everyone relates to something that is important to me. Havent regretted getting them and it doesn't bother me to think that when im "old" and sitting in an old folks home, that im still going to have them!

Ricco
21-Oct-06, 12:44
I have always admired most of the more tasteful tatoos that people have had done. You know - the celtic bands, the little dragons, etc. I've not liked the whole-body stuff nor the 'I Love Martha' types though.

Three years ago when I was back in Canada for a visit I saw one I really liked and had it done on the back of one shoulder - a small Canadian flag with 100% Canadian bracketing the top and bottom. Thought long and hard 'cos I knew it would be there for keeps; haven't regretted it at all. :D

Cedric Farthsbottom III
21-Oct-06, 20:28
Designed a tatoo of ma two boys and their birthdays....but me and needles....mmmmmmmmmmmmm....one day!!!!:D

footie chick
21-Oct-06, 20:33
Its the pain that puts me off! :eek:

emszxr
21-Oct-06, 21:12
i have 5, my first one was when i was 17. my friend got exactly the same one as me, she walked into the tattoo parlour 5 minutes after i walked out after having mine done, and we didnt even know about each other being there and getting the same tattoo done. spooky

i want my kids names done next, just have to wait til next year as i am breast feeding my youngest and they wont tattoo on me whilst breast feeding.

sweetpea
21-Oct-06, 23:32
My boyfriend is covered in them and I love all his. I have no desire to get one although if I did I know what designs I like. I think it's a personal thing

mccaugm
22-Oct-06, 01:21
i have 5, my first one was when i was 17. my friend got exactly the same one as me, she walked into the tattoo parlour 5 minutes after i walked out after having mine done, and we didnt even know about each other being there and getting the same tattoo done. spooky

i want my kids names done next, just have to wait til next year as i am breast feeding my youngest and they wont tattoo on me whilst breast feeding.

I thought (correct me if I am wrong) that you have to be 18 before you can get a tattoo. I would love one but cannot justify spending the money on something so frivolous.

young_fishin_neep
22-Oct-06, 01:26
you can be 16 with parentel concent and guardian with you, as i keep reminding my mum :) but on your own its 18 yes

kaz xxxxxxx

emszxr
22-Oct-06, 09:07
i took a friends birth certificate who was 18, tut tut

jemmima-june
22-Oct-06, 09:47
i took a friends birth certificate who was 18, tut tut
did you ask your mum if you could have it done ?
my youngest wanted one and i said if it was discreet and i got to approve it i would pay for it for her for her christmas and she chose a lovely red rose above her ankle bone. she was 17........ for her 21st she had a beautiful butterfly above her right hip just above her trouser waist line.......... some mums will help and compromise with their children me well i had my nose pierced at the riipe old age of 49.......only one needle hahaha

Billy Boy
22-Oct-06, 10:27
Designed a tatoo of ma two boys and their birthdays....but me and needles....mmmmmmmmmmmmm....one day!!!!

lol you could always try getting it done with permanent marker:roll: not so painfull[lol]

golach
22-Oct-06, 10:36
Tattoo's in my young day were only for Sailors, Trawlermen, or Squaddies, and hardened criminals, what is it with females in their 40's nowadays who have the urge to disfigure their bodies?
I have 5 tattoos but mine are all or can be hidden when I wish.
If I was given the chance over again I would not have a tattoo.....mine are over 45 years old and are past their best, so girls....remember tattoos are for life, and what are your grand children going to think of their granny? :confused

Lolabelle
22-Oct-06, 10:46
Tattoo's in my young day were only for Sailors, Trawlermen, or Squaddies, and hardened criminals, what is it with females in their 40's nowadays who have the urge to disfigure their bodies?
I have 5 tattoos but mine are all or can be hidden when I wish.
If I was given the chance over again I would not have a tattoo.....mine are over 45 years old and are past their best, so girls....remember tattoos are for life, and what are your grand children going to think of their granny? :confused

When I was in my 20's I wanted a tattoo, but I couldn't help thinking of how it would look as I go wrinkly. So I didn't do it. Now I am a bit larger and am really glad I didn't as it would be a bit stretched, lol. But I do think they are a work of art these days. Not like my dads old sailing ship and tiger. But I must confess that I think they don't look quite so good on white skin. My dad is a builder and was always very tanned and they looked good to me. I have seen blokes with no tan and tattoos and I think they look a bit ordinary. Just what I was used to I guess.

emszxr
22-Oct-06, 14:45
did you ask your mum if you could have it done ?
my youngest wanted one and i said if it was discreet and i got to approve it i would pay for it for her for her christmas and she chose a lovely red rose above her ankle bone. she was 17........ for her 21st she had a beautiful butterfly above her right hip just above her trouser waist line.......... some mums will help and compromise with their children me well i had my nose pierced at the riipe old age of 49.......only one needle hahaha

no, i didnt ask my dad (single parent family). i just got the bus to go and get it and came home and said to my dad 'look what i got today' . he was pretty cool about it. i am hoping i will be the same with my kids although they too young at the moment. but i would like them to tell me and we can go together.

WeeBurd
22-Oct-06, 14:57
I really dislike tattoo's on women, just seeing the wedding pics in the papers, all strapless gowns, and honking great tattoo's on their arm, I feel it looks very coarse.

But, that's my opinion. I totally respect everyone's choice, and if ladies want to do it, fine and dandy, they obvoiusly don't mind them. I was even there to give moral support when a close friend received her tattoo.

I don't like tattoo's on men either... of course, MrBurd then strolled into my life with one on each arm! [lol] I have to say, I've grown to adore his tattoo's and wouldn't change them for the world, they're quite tasteful designs. He's also said he'd like to get another one which would incorporate the names of the WeeBurdies, and his beloved wife... I don't think that's necessary, but if he wants to, it's his choice and I'll respect that...

obiron
22-Oct-06, 15:06
i have rangers tattoo the blue could be a bit darker but i like it. think im going to get another one done soon. depends on ma lift down. got a few ideas for things i like. miami ink on discovery is one of my fave progs. look throu their site for designs.

Saxo01
22-Oct-06, 18:26
Got a wolf on one arm & a tribal wolf on the other, Always get good comments from folks, Definately not something to rush into though, Lower back is all the rage wi the lasses just now

Rheghead
22-Oct-06, 18:33
You may be damaging your skin's ability to feel things.

Tattoo skin damage (http://www.newscientist.com/channel/health/mg19225742.900-tattoo-the-mark-of-insensitivity.html)

Saxo01
22-Oct-06, 18:37
Shudn't make a bid difference to me im regularly comfortably numb :lol:

squidge
23-Oct-06, 15:04
The Bruce has several tattoos - honda wings on each shoulder, a rampant lion, a wolfs head, a thistle around his upper arm, a celtic swirly design on his forearm, some norse runes and some werewolf glyphs. They are all on his arms except for some werewolf glyphs on his chest and a dragon that goes around his thigh and burns its own tail witht he flames from its mouth.

I really like them - they are very attactive and a talking point for a lot of people although trying to explain werewolf glyphs to my mum was quite entertaining!

Cedric Farthsbottom III
23-Oct-06, 16:19
lol you could always try getting it done with permanent marker:roll: not so painfull[lol]

Cheers Mr and Mrs B.Tried yer suggestion but wi felt tips,went shoppin today,but wi aw the rain, my tattoo now looks like something fae the sixties....picture yersel on a boat on a river with tangerine trees and marmalade skies........................groovy!!!

henry20
23-Oct-06, 16:27
I really dislike tattoo's on women, just seeing the wedding pics in the papers, all strapless gowns, and honking great tattoo's on their arm,...

I totally agree, I dislike seeing tattoos on a bride and always thought mine wouldn't be an issue as I wouldn't wear a strapless dress - then I went shopping for my dress (more than 2 years after getting tattos) and decided on one ....... strapless of course, but nothing that a bit of make-up couldn't cover, right? Wrong, I'm that fair skinned that I looked like I had a giant jaffa orange tattoo instead - my tattoo's were a lot smaller so they got to stay and out went the make-up.

Admittedly, as the tattoo's were on my shoulder, they only appeared in one photo and as I had my veil on, they weren't noticeable. If I had any on my arms, I definitely would've chosen another dress.

I don't regret my tattoo's and never will, but I maybe should've chosen a different wedding dress :lol:

jemmima-june
23-Oct-06, 16:36
no, i didnt ask my dad (single parent family). i just got the bus to go and get it and came home and said to my dad 'look what i got today' . he was pretty cool about it. i am hoping i will be the same with my kids although they too young at the moment. but i would like them to tell me and we can go together.

I really hope that you do get to do things together....... I have 2 grown up girls and 1 son and we are all close not so much in distance but in friendship
and it is a wonderful feeling when the phone rings or the door opens and one of them is asking my advice on something not that they always take it mind you but that at least they have cared enough to ask it......I like to think it is
because i was and am a good mother that they can ask me anything without me collapsing lol

dunderheed
24-Oct-06, 09:55
you can be 16 with parentel concent and guardian with you, as i keep reminding my mum :) but on your own its 18 yes

kaz xxxxxxx

neep if you go to a tattooist who is prepared to tattoo you under the age of 18 (with or without parental consent) dont let them near you. contrary to popular belife it is illigal to ink anyone under the age of 18 wether their parents give the ok or not and most reputable artists wont entertain you even if both your parents are with you.

back to topic, if have 13 designs and regret none of them (i even am lucky enough to have a cedric design) i am planning on getting more done in the near future ( obiron i now know where the one in nairn is)

Ricco
24-Oct-06, 13:40
neep if you go to a tattooist who is prepared to tattoo you under the age of 18 (with or without parental consent) dont let them near you. contrary to popular belife it is illigal to ink anyone under the age of 18 wether their parents give the ok or not and most reputable artists wont entertain you even if both your parents are with you.

back to topic, if have 13 designs and regret none of them (i even am lucky enough to have a cedric design) i am planning on getting more done in the near future ( obiron i now know where the one in nairn is)

I agree with Dunderheed. Make sure you get a reputable tatooist, for goodness sake. They will discuss everything with you,they will be clean, they will advise you on aftercare (make sure you follow it) and they will be safe. After all, they need to keep their licence as well as their reputation.

sapphire
24-Oct-06, 14:23
One of my daughters has a tattoo on her lower back which she designed herself ( with some help from the internet! ), and I have to say, very nice it looks too. Her only problem with it....if you can call it a problem! was buying the haemorrhoid (yup had to look that one up!) cream he advised her to use on it!:lol:

Islander
24-Oct-06, 15:03
I've got a tatoo on my back and it wasn't painful to get - the thought of it was worse believe me! I definately want another one now - not sure what yet but I'll be sometime in the future. It's all down to personal preference whether you want one or not - if you want one, go for it - it's not that sore!!!

Cedric Farthsbottom III
24-Oct-06, 15:09
One of my daughters has a tattoo on her lower back which she designed herself ( with some help from the internet! ), and I have to say, very nice it looks too. Her only problem with it....if you can call it a problem! was buying the haemorrhoid (yup had to look that one up!) cream he advised her to use on it!:lol:

Always wondered if haemorrhoid cream was really invented by the Swiss female scientist Emma Freud????????Heard it in a pub quiz....brought a tear to my eye though!!!!:lol:

willson
24-Oct-06, 19:10
i have 32 tattoos on my body must say im hooked one on my forehead

blondie50
24-Oct-06, 19:24
I've got two tattoos and I really would like more, but there is no one to go to anymore apart from Highland Tattoo in Inverness who are alway so busy and booked up months in advance. There was a tattoo place in Alness but it's not there anymore. Does anyone know of anywhere else to get them done? I'm in my fifties, my nose is pierced too and I really would like to get my navel done but I'm just not brave enough yet......:lol: [lol]