PDA

View Full Version : Signatures: how do we choose them, and what do they mean?

secrets in symmetry
12-Nov-11, 13:48
I'm often intrigued by forum members' signatures.

Mine was misunderstood by so many that I was classified as an extremist nutter by a lot of members.

How many have any idea what RecQuery's signature is about?

I just had a problem I thought I could solve with Regular Expressions, I now have three problems.

Leanne
12-Nov-11, 14:36
Hmmm

Mine is pretty self explanatory...

orkneycadian
12-Nov-11, 16:22
What signatures? ;)

shazzap
12-Nov-11, 16:24
Mine was chosen. Because, i am, and, you do.
The same as my location. I can be anywhere i choose.

secrets in symmetry
12-Nov-11, 21:24
Hmmm

Mine is pretty self explanatory...Well, yes, but do you stand on your head when you're in your loo?

secrets in symmetry
12-Nov-11, 21:59
Mine was chosen. Because, i am, and, you do.
The same as my location. I can be anywhere i choose.I love the bit about your location, but I have to disappoint you on your other claim - I think you're one of the saner members of this forum....

Don't be too upset at being called sane, I know how it feels - Angel says I'm a sweetie! How embarrassing is that lol?

shazzap
12-Nov-11, 22:02
I love the bit about your location, but I have to disappoint you on your other claim - I think you're one of the saner members of this forum....

Don't be too upset at being called sane, I know how it feels - Angel says I'm a sweetie! How embarrassing is that lol?

I think you missed the I and N off, SIS. Mwahahaha.

billmoseley
12-Nov-11, 22:21
Mine does what it says on the tin. it about sums me up

secrets in symmetry
12-Nov-11, 22:31
I think you missed the I and N off, SIS. Mwahahaha.Lol!

Ok, I'll go along with your wishes - you can be insane, but only if I can be really, really, really bad. :cool:

shazzap
12-Nov-11, 22:37
Lol!

Ok, I'll go along with your wishes - you can be insane, but only if I can be really, really, really bad. :cool:

Is your name Michael???????????????[lol]

annemarie482
12-Nov-11, 22:44
signatures are quite hard to choose...
i try to change mine regularly, just so i dont get bored of it, or it something that feels more fitting at the time.
infact im due a change again!

sandyr1
12-Nov-11, 22:47
I am also who I am!...And where I live....
To me, it would be nice to see where everyone is...their location.....

shazzap
12-Nov-11, 23:14
I am in East Yorkshire.

secrets in symmetry
12-Nov-11, 23:20
Is your name Michael???????????????[lol]Yeah!

I'm Bad, I'm Bad
Come On
(Bad Bad - Really, Really Bad)
You Know I'm Bad, get on me! come on!
And The Whole World Has To
Answer Right Now
Just To Tell You Once Again,
Who's Bad . . .

shazzap
12-Nov-11, 23:29
Yeah!

I'm Bad, I'm Bad
Come On
(Bad Bad - Really, Really Bad)
You Know I'm Bad, get on me! come on!
And The Whole World Has To
Answer Right Now
Just To Tell You Once Again,
Who's Bad . . .

X X X Get off.:lol:

secrets in symmetry
12-Nov-11, 23:35
X X X Get off.:lol:Ok, I'm off getting lol.

I was surprised that the first line of that song is "Your butt is mine."

Yes, I know, I've dragged this thread way off topic. I'll be (a bit more) serious now....

Does anyone else understand RecQuery's signature?

shazzap
12-Nov-11, 23:46
Does he mean his face is stuck, in some sort of contorted expression. [lol][lol][lol]

secrets in symmetry
13-Nov-11, 15:10
Does he mean his face is stuck, in some sort of contorted expression. [lol][lol]Lol! Good guess. :cool:

Unfortunately, it's not correct.

I could explain - but I'm still wondering if anyone else understands it.

sandyr1
13-Nov-11, 16:58
Am trying to follow this intelligent conversation, but alas.............
SIS...You are really into this 'Bbbad thing'.............
You should have worked with me 30/35 years ago!

ducati
13-Nov-11, 17:56
Lol! Good guess. :cool:

Unfortunately, it's not correct.

I could explain - but I'm still wondering if anyone else understands it.

It's a nerd joke, you are only supposed to get it if you are a fellow nerd.

shazzap
13-Nov-11, 18:18
It's a nerd joke, you are only supposed to get it if you are a fellow nerd.

Ha ha............:lol:

secrets in symmetry
13-Nov-11, 19:09
It's a nerd joke, you are only supposed to get it if you are a fellow nerd.It sure is - and it's a particularly cringeworthy one....

oldmarine
13-Nov-11, 19:29
I'm often intrigued by forum members' signatures.

Mine was misunderstood by so many that I was classified as an extremist nutter by a lot of members.

How many have any idea what RecQuery's signature is about?
I chose mine because I am old (compared to most on this forum) and was a US Marine. I could have selected "WW2MarineVet" because that's what I am. Looks like we are free to select what ever we want.

RecQuery
14-Nov-11, 08:50
Regular expressions (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regular_expression), so useful and yet so annoying. They allow you to match patterns in a general sense so rather than searching for a specific e-mail address you can search for something that looks like an e-mail address, there are a few ways to do it depending on what you're using:

^[_a-z0-9-]+(\.[_a-z0-9-]+)*@[a-z0-9-]+(\.[a-z0-9-]+)*(\.[a-z]{2,4})$

([[:alnum:]_.-]+@[[:alnum:]_.-]+?\.[[:alpha:].]{2,6})

/^([a-z0-9_\.-]+)@([\da-z\.-]+)\.([a-z\.]{2,6})$/

\b[A-Z0-9._%+-]+@[A-Z0-9.-]+\.[A-Z]{2,4}\b

They're useful for automation and input validation. I mainly use them in admin scripts, the problem is they can sometimes be arcane and esoteric.

I also have a selection of similarly cryptic (to most people) t-shirts from here (http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/). I'm wearing this one (http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/xkcd/dadc/#tabs) today.

Edit: Basically it means that sometimes regular expressions can cause more problems than they solve.

sandyr1
14-Nov-11, 13:36
Ohhhh Ma Gawd!

RecQuery
14-Nov-11, 13:50
Ohhhh Ma Gawd!

Care to elaborate?

sandyr1
14-Nov-11, 14:23
Just joking... I thought a 'simple' explanation would suffice....not something 'in the Cloud'.

RecQuery
14-Nov-11, 14:53
Just joking... I thought a 'simple' explanation would suffice....not something 'in the Cloud'.

Ah nevermind, I was hoping some one would use the "Geeks are pathetic/your hobbies suck" argument so I could reply. Yeah Clouds are kind of like the modern web 2.0: a fancy marketing term for stuff that people have been doing for years. Here's what I imagine whenever anyone uses the term cloud

http://i.imgur.com/KxeDW.png

sandyr1
14-Nov-11, 15:06
That yellow string could be used to keep the hens in!!!

therealducati
15-Nov-11, 11:35
To bring us back to topic, my signature is because I always use Ducati as my user name on forums (fora??) etc,as I have a Ducati (see Avatar) and my OH nicked the name when he registered. He is therefore an imposter and I am the real Ducati (think of it said in an "I am Spartacus" manner).

Cloud Puncher
15-Nov-11, 22:19
Mine is a quote from Sun Tsu I once used when someone, a former friend, went behind my back. My response was measured, restrained and effective. He felt hard done by, I told him this as a hint as to how lucky he was.

secrets in symmetry
17-Nov-11, 00:57
Regular expressions (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regular_expression), so useful and yet so annoying. They allow you to match patterns in a general sense so rather than searching for a specific e-mail address you can search for something that looks like an e-mail address, there are a few ways to do it depending on what you're using:

^[_a-z0-9-]+(\.[_a-z0-9-]+)*@[a-z0-9-]+(\.[a-z0-9-]+)*(\.[a-z]{2,4})$

([[:alnum:]_.-]+@[[:alnum:]_.-]+?\.[[:alpha:].]{2,6})

/^([a-z0-9_\.-]+)@([\da-z\.-]+)\.([a-z\.]{2,6})$/

\b[A-Z0-9._%+-]+@[A-Z0-9.-]+\.[A-Z]{2,4}\b

They're useful for automation and input validation. I mainly use them in admin scripts, the problem is they can sometimes be arcane and esoteric.

I also have a selection of similarly cryptic (to most people) t-shirts from here (http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/). I'm wearing this one (http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/xkcd/dadc/#tabs) today.

Edit: Basically it means that sometimes regular expressions can cause more problems than they solve.Lol! You are truly a geek in geek's clothing. Grep baby, grep! :cool:

Cloud Puncher
17-Nov-11, 08:19
Mine is from Sun Tsu's "Art of War", I just like it. It speaks to me of ability and restraint. Two qualities I admire in people.

John Little
17-Nov-11, 08:39
To bring us back to topic, my signature is because I always use Ducati as my user name on forums (fora??) etc,as I have a Ducati (see Avatar) and my OH nicked the name when he registered. He is therefore an imposter and I am the real Ducati (think of it said in an "I am Spartacus" manner).

Ego sum verus ducati ?

ducati
17-Nov-11, 09:45
Ego sum verus ducati ?

'fraid knot :(

ducati
17-Nov-11, 09:48
Mine is ever less accurate.:eek:

achingale
17-Nov-11, 20:15
Used to live in 'Achingale' and it was one of my playgrounds. I have many happy memories of the Washpool so hence the name on here.

orkneycadian
17-Nov-11, 20:40
I think the OP was talking about Signatures rather than usernames - You know, the kind of stuff that Admin refer to in your settings area as "extraneous clutter"!

secrets in symmetry
19-Nov-11, 16:38
I think the OP was talking about Signatures rather than usernamesYes, that's right. Usernames are interesting - and sometimes bizarre - but signatures can be even more interesting, and even more bizarre. :cool: