PDA

View Full Version : Somerfield Thurso

redbaron1947
20-Oct-06, 17:52
What's happening in Somerfield?

Has the Bakery gone? No more of those nice ciabatta and panini rolls to be seen anywhere. The whole shop seems to have gone waaay downmarket. Feels more like Farmfoods. Lots of empty spaces appearing, no doubt for Christmas tat.

Roll on Asda, Tesco or any other store that can take up the slack.

concerned resident
20-Oct-06, 19:45
I think they are trying to get rid of the customers they have, They have moved everything about, so it is taking ages to find, i gave up the other day, decided to go to the Coop, as i knew where it was on the shelf. Still did'nt stop me having to que behind people with large baskets, as the girl on the cigarette counter had wondered off, the till with less than ten items is never open.
roll on November the 27nd (Tesco opening) Make room Wick i am coming through.

sam
20-Oct-06, 19:47
they are probably moving stuff around so that when you are looking for what you want you will end up buying stuff you dont really need therefore spending more money, fly but it works;)

dunderheed
20-Oct-06, 20:28
redbaron,
relax the bakery is still there.
we are in the process of going through a minor refit. most stores get these usually every 5 years or so. this one is to bring thurso in line with the majority of Somerfields throughout the country. the mini refit should be finished by the end of next week.

northener
20-Oct-06, 20:46
Dunderheed,

Whats happened to the bakery in Wick then? Is this being refurbished as well or is it binned?

Rumours abound!

mr do dar
20-Oct-06, 21:19
the one in wick has gone for good . the bakery manager is working for TESCO and he tuck half of the staff with him lol :)

kas
20-Oct-06, 21:54
I agree things have gone down hill. Last time I did a big shop I came out absoloutley fizzing mad.

I had a big trolley load. As the customer in front was having their shopping put through, the checkout boy, didnt even move the conveyor forward to make room for my shopping, until I asked was it broken. Then when it came to my turn, I had only managed to take about a fifth of my shopping out of the trolley, so as I was putting the rest on, he kept packing my shopping through the scanner, until there was no room for any more on the other side. Did he stop and try to pack some of it, No he just kept flinging things through. So once it was all on the conveyor, I rushed to start packing, and as I was trying to pack stuff he just kept throwing everything through, and when it was all through, just sat there until I packed the lot.

I was very mad, and have only gone there when I really have to since. Then to finish it off I came home to find a few things crushed and broken eggs, which I checked before I picked up.

I used to find the staff in there very good, and if it was as quiet as it was that night, you would normally get another helping you to pack, but no the others were standing chatting.

Roll on the competion, although it could be the same checkout assitant there, but hopefully managment will sort them out.

Sorry rant over. LOL

Countryman
21-Oct-06, 14:37
Friday Morning one till open, today Saturday morning only two tills open but wasn't really worth going, half the shelves were empty the others nearly empty are they getting ready to close down. The coop seems to be getting as bad.
Are they getting ready to throw in the towel when Tesco opens.
What will happen to the folk that cannot go to Wick, will Tesco lay on buses from Thurso to Wick for shoppers for those without cars and old folk in Thurso town.

jaykay
21-Oct-06, 15:43
Friday Morning one till open, today Saturday morning only two tills open but wasn't really worth going, half the shelves were empty the others nearly empty are they getting ready to close down. The coop seems to be getting as bad.
Are they getting ready to throw in the towel when Tesco opens.
What will happen to the folk that cannot go to Wick, will Tesco lay on buses from Thurso to Wick for shoppers for those without cars and old folk in Thurso town.

When Asda come to Thurso I am sure that they will have full shelves and you won't need to go to Tesco in Wick.

JAWS
22-Oct-06, 03:08
they are probably moving stuff around so that when you are looking for what you want you will end up buying stuff you dont really need therefore spending more money, fly but it works;)That's the reason they move things round. The theory's good but all it does for me is to irritate me followed by my rapidly losing patience and ending with me abandoning everything, heading for the "escape hatch" and doing my shopping elsewhere.

I have far better things to do than play silly games of "Search the Shelves" to entertain idiots suffering from having "Good Ideas".

My attitude is that if they feel the need to hide it from me then they obviously do not wish to sell it and I am only too willing to confirm that fact to them.
I also refuse to subscribe to the inbred belief of some stores that if it isn't there then they'll make do with something else.
My instinct if stores can't be bothered to keep their shelves stocked I don't think, "What can I buy instead?" but rather "Where can I shop instead?"

WeeBurd
22-Oct-06, 14:37
Jaws, you are able to express exactly what I feel so eloquently!

Piglet
22-Oct-06, 15:06
Today is a good day to shopping if you like a bargain they have shef upon shelf or reduced items as the lines are been discontinued anything from coffee - pickled onions - washing powder.

WeeBurd
22-Oct-06, 22:40
Today is a good day to shopping if you like a bargain they have shef upon shelf or reduced items as the lines are been discontinued anything from coffee - pickled onions - washing powder.

Good if you like a bargin, but bad if it's your favourite onions or washing powder they're stopping taking in [lol] . I already have to get my teabags out of the Co-Op, as they don't do Tetley Drawstrings (and I am a fussy so-and-so!).

Piglet
22-Oct-06, 22:51
Ah well, WeeBurd you might have a point there. :lol:

JAWS
22-Oct-06, 23:31
Jaws, you are able to express exactly what I feel so eloquently!It's only because I dare not put it in quite the way I would like to, even i would be shocked by some of the words I might use.

I quite understand that there will never be the same sort of choice of commodities here that people in large conurbations get. I also understand that, for example, sudden hot spells will lead to unpredictable runs on things like salad stuff and ice cream.

However, I refuse to believe that people get up in the morning, on a regular basis, and all decide that they should buy up one particular brand of bread or one particular size of milk container. Such things have a reasonably regular turnover day in, day out and the only reason stores run short is because enough care hasn't been taken in getting them.

When the same brands of bread always seem to be the ones which are first to vanish and others are left in the hope that people will buy them in desperation is down to lucrative agreements between the stores and certain suppliers who have purchased "shelf space" for their products.

Stores believe that if they are stubborn enough then shoppers will "educated" into taking whatever products they are offered.
Well, I've got news for them, as far as I'm concerned thy just hav no concept of what "stubborn" really means. They have absloutely nothing to offer that I can either do without or get elsewhere.

WeeBurd
23-Oct-06, 00:07
It's only because I dare not put it in quite the way I would like to, even i would be shocked by some of the words I might use.

I quite understand that there will never be the same sort of choice of commodities here that people in large conurbations get. I also understand that, for example, sudden hot spells will lead to unpredictable runs on things like salad stuff and ice cream.

However, I refuse to believe that people get up in the morning, on a regular basis, and all decide that they should buy up one particular brand of bread or one particular size of milk container. Such things have a reasonably regular turnover day in, day out and the only reason stores run short is because enough care hasn't been taken in getting them.

When the same brands of bread always seem to be the ones which are first to vanish and others are left in the hope that people will buy them in desperation is down to lucrative agreements between the stores and certain suppliers who have purchased "shelf space" for their products.

Stores believe that if they are stubborn enough then shoppers will "educated" into taking whatever products they are offered.
Well, I've got news for them, as far as I'm concerned thy just hav no concept of what "stubborn" really means. They have absloutely nothing to offer that I can either do without or get elsewhere.

More often than not, I now order my preferred loaf from a smaller store in town. It's a wee bit dearer, but at least I can be sure of getting it!

BTW, I suspect we buy the same bread you and me, I think my Auntie does too, she has the same problems [lol] .

changilass
23-Oct-06, 01:05
Think I must buy the same brand of bread as well. Now on the odd occassion that we do find it in store we buy 6 and put them in the freezer in case we can't get any more.

Luckily I am heading south tomorrow so will stock up on my way home

WeeBurd
23-Oct-06, 10:24
Think I must buy the same brand of bread as well. Now on the odd occassion that we do find it in store we buy 6 and put them in the freezer in case we can't get any more.

Oh, so you're to blame [lol] !