PDA

View Full Version : 11-11-11

golach
11-Nov-11, 15:08
They joined for many reasons, to march, to sail, to fly. They went where they were posted but nobody joins to die. Their leaders talk on TV what else could we have done? But those leaders lost no daughters and none has lost a son. So heres to all our sailors, soldiers, airmen wherever they maybe...and heres to all their families, I raise a glass to thee.... Wear your poppy with pride and support our troops, we will remember them... 11-11-11 lest we forget

Anon.

sandyr1
11-Nov-11, 15:11
Yes I agree.....Lets ensure that the 'new generation ' doesn't forget....
Time fades memories...

Corrie 3
11-Nov-11, 15:37
Good post Golach and very emotional for me!!

C3.................:~(:~(

shazzap
11-Nov-11, 15:43
Remembering.

John Little
11-Nov-11, 15:58
I saw the grave of the lad who was Peter Pan two years ago.

The boy who never grew up. When I think of those who die in war he comes into my head.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Llewelyn_Davies

Good thread Golach.

trinkie
11-Nov-11, 17:06
Thank you Golach,
They will never be forgotten.

changilass
11-Nov-11, 18:08
Just asked the wee man what rememberence day was about, he said " to remember all the soilders that arn't here anymore", he then asked if it was ok for him to remember other people special to him that are no longer here too.

John Little
11-Nov-11, 18:18
Just asked the wee man what rememberence day was about, he said " to remember all the soilders that arn't here anymore", he then asked if it was ok for him to remember other people special to him that are no longer here too.

Personally I think that's a very cool thing for him to say.

I mind when I took a bunch of students years ago to Vimy ridge, which is Canadian territory, flying the Canadian flag and which was gifted to Canada at the end of WW1 by the French government.

The French were there at the start of the war, then the British took over and there are thousands of their lads under the soil there. At the beginning of the battle of Arras in 1917 the Canadians took the top of the ridge by storm and that's why it's one of their national memorials.

When you go there now it's strange. The guides there have never heard of the French or British being there - one was really really surprised to hear it. But it was a very hot day and one of the wee girls sat on the grass.

Two of them told her off because you are, apparently, showing disrespect to their war dead.

I held my tongue but it seems to me that if you were to ask most of the men buried there if they minded a teenage girl, tired with the heat, sitting on the grass whilst listening to their story, that they would not have minded. What decent man would?

I do not see why the day cannot be a day of remembrance for all.

Sacred cows can end up removing humanity from situations.

golach
11-Nov-11, 19:41
That wee man is no daft Changi, he is a credit to you and his Dad

Liz
11-Nov-11, 19:53
I saw an interview on telly today with a couple of wonderful World War 2 veterans.

When one was asked what rememberance day meant to him he broke down in tears.

We owe so much to those who laid down their lives for us.

Corrie 3
11-Nov-11, 20:19
I saw an interview on telly today with a couple of wonderful World War 2 veterans.

I am so glad my Daddy made it home from Italy and the North Africa campaign.......If he hadn't I wouldn't be here now!!!

C3.........................:roll:;)

bekisman
11-Nov-11, 21:41
My Grandfather is laid to rest in Bagneux Cemetery he died of wounds received on 24th August 1918, just 78 days before the Armistice..
He was with the duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry, later the 10th Battalion London Regiment, I'm proud that I and my sons followed in his footsteps.. RIP

oldmarine
12-Nov-11, 00:40
I am so glad my Daddy made it home from Italy and the North Africa campaign.......If he hadn't I wouldn't be here now!!!

C3.........................:roll:;)
My children made similar remarks to me today. It was gratifying to hear their accolades. I am proud to have had the opportunity to serve 35 months in the Pacific during WW2.

The Pepsi Challenge
13-Nov-11, 18:56
http://www.dickgaughan.co.uk/songs/mp3s/childhood.mp3

Childhood's End :
We laid the last old soldier to rest today
A lingering relic of the older way
There were no muffled rolls of drums and no flags did wave
In the breeze that was not blowing
And on the spot where he was laid we lit a flame
To burn forever more until the end of time
To all the other soldiers known and unnamed
No gun salute was fired, no Last Post playing
Childhood's End was long in coming
But come it must for all our fear
For all our vanity, for all our stumbling
Childhood's End is drawing near
And a silent prayer was said by those who have something to pray to
While the rest of us joined hands and softly sang
And asked forgiveness from the dead for millennia of killing
For we knew now where the blame lay
And on the spot where he was laid we lit a flame
To burn forever more until the end of time
To all the other soldiers known and unnamed
No gun salute was fired, no Last Post playing
Childhood's End was long in coming
But come it must for all our fear
For all our vanity, for all our stumbling
Childhood's End is drawing near.

On this day of remembrance, let us not forget the countless millions of innocent civilians - men, women and children - who lost their lives in armed conflicts between nations, ideologies and religions, and continue to do so to this day... remember them also.

trinkie
10-Nov-12, 17:25
I'm particularly Remembering James Smith , Seaman of Wick whose grave I found recently in south Wales.
His ship was Lost at Sea but the body of James was washed ashore and buried in a quiet churchyard
so far away from his home. The year was 1916 and James was 21yrs old. His parents were John and Dina Smith
of Portdunbar Wick. If there is family still around, please get in touch with me for a photo of the beautiful grave stone.

I left a Poppy.
Trinkie

Mrs Sweetie
10-Nov-12, 17:57
I came across this hugely powerful image on Facebook yesterday. I don't know whose it is to acredit it but I believe it is a poster entitled Once a Soldier, Always a Soldier. There are larger views online which show the man to be in a military cemetery.16482

Iffy
10-Nov-12, 19:22

Yes Liz, that is so true.

We will remember them........

rich62_uk
10-Nov-12, 23:58
I think we all need to be proud of all the young people who will stand up tomorrow wearing a poppy with pride signifying their thanks to those that have lost their lives in search of our freedom.

pinkie
11-Nov-12, 01:03
we will remember them

Flynn
11-Nov-12, 22:35
On Remembrance Day, remember that it is the soldier's job to do their duty. It is the citizen's job to make sure that when our government puts our soldiers in harm's way, it is always for a good reason. Our soldiers have always done their job. They have always done their duty. We have not.

Dadie
12-Nov-12, 00:50
11.11.11 its my birthday, but, I do not forget. When I was slightly younger and still a part of the Boys Brigade it was a hassle getting ready for the parade (I would be hungover or lacking in sleep or both) but would turnout the same without fail...now with kids I think its still important to show support, but, didnt turn out for the memorial parade (2 out of 3 kids dont sound to good with a cough and one has had a tummy upset) I now think family comes first as thats most important then the wars (im a mum and my kids come first), but soldiers who lost their lives for us are not forgotten, even in my busy life, I take time out to think....about those who lost their lives and those whoes lives were changed by wars....yesterday and today to borrow words from my 4yo when talking about ww2 and beyond!
THey died on other days , why not rememer them then...bit profound for a pre schooler ...but I told her that soldiers had an important day to remember all that died and all that helped.....and Mums birthday is the day and it is!