PDA

View Full Version : ginger beer

bigk
11-Nov-11, 14:18
Hi orgers,i have been making different ciders and beers with my home brew kit for years using the pre made kits that you just add water and sugar too but there is no kit for ginger beer....i have the yeast etc to make it but i was just wondering-a long shot i know-if any orgers have already done this because i need to know how much ginger to use,do i use fresh root or powder or a mix of both,i am very greatfull for any and all info i recieve,thanks.

Dadie
11-Nov-11, 16:07
Try this
http://h2g2.com/dna/h2g2/A634664

for info
I used to have a plant in the kitchen .... but forgot about it when I went on hols once!
or have a read of this ...looks good!
http://www.vurt.co.uk/2005/06/15/GingerBeer/

bigk
11-Nov-11, 19:34
thanks for your help Dadie........best wishes.

Dadie
12-Nov-11, 00:10
I screw topped the plant before I went on hols.....wish I never....broken glass and scraping it off the ceiling wasnt good!
But if you get a plant up and running good it works really well....and I liked the tips of adding an extra firey kick to it with the paprika...
I like really firey ginger beer thats not too gassy!

Leanne
12-Nov-11, 00:30
Dadia - I did that with elderflower champagne last year. Pop bottles for me now..

BigK - no help for making ginger beer but ginger beer with a dash of port is a lovely drink!

bigk
12-Nov-11, 13:13
got to try the paprika trick...
and the dash of port too,thanks Leanne..
best wishes,kev.

secrets in symmetry
12-Nov-11, 13:49
BigK - no help for making ginger beer but ginger beer with a dash of port is a lovely drink!That sounds absoutely disgusting. I must try it. :cool:

orkneycadian
12-Nov-11, 16:25
Hi orgers,i have been making different ciders and beers with my home brew kit for years using the pre made kits that you just add water and sugar too but there is no kit for ginger beer....

Home brew shop in Kirkwall has ginger beer kits like the lager / cider kits - You can make it alcoholic or not, depending on which set of instructions you follow. If they can get it, presumably your home brew shop down there can?

bigk
12-Nov-11, 19:56
no home brew shops in thurso sadly.....get my stuff from ebay!!...i will try and find the name of the kirkwall shop though thanks orkneycadian.

orkneycadian
13-Nov-11, 01:47
:eek: Theres no home brew shop in Thurso? :eek: Surely Ebays not the only place to get supplies in? Or has Tesco taken over that too?

Geo
13-Nov-11, 02:17
Nearest homebrew shop is in Inverness. Tesco do have a selection of items though so handy if you're stuck. My brother down in Perth does homebrew supplies by mail order so I get my stuff from him.

bigk
13-Nov-11, 12:37
:eek: Theres no home brew shop in Thurso? :eek: Surely Ebays not the only place to get supplies in? Or has Tesco taken over that too?....tesco in wick do a limited amount but by time you travel to and from wick with the price of fuel nowadays you would be cheaper paying the shop prices.....ebay works out lots cheaper in the long run and you get your order two working days after....thanks for replys....

adi1
13-Nov-11, 15:03
Think you will find Coopers do a ginger ale kit available on Ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coopers-Home-Brew-Ginger-Beer-Ale-Making-Kit-20L-NEW-/330494601458?pt=Home_Brew&hash=item4cf30368f2#ht_2247wt_1216

orkneycadian
13-Nov-11, 17:25
Yep, that looks like the one they had in the shop Kirkwall - Rogers Finns across from the Royal Bank.

Surprised theres no a home brew place in Caithness - The shop in Kirkwall is not very big (its a bit off a shop that does woolly clothes and Body Shop stuff) but its usually always got some folk in there getting their malt and hops and kits and the like. With no shop over there, you Caithnessians must have a right trachle to get your supplies? Tesco sounds like they have a small selection, but I guess not a patch on the (I would guess) 60 plus different types of beer kits Roger keeps, along with wines and ciders as well, not to mention all the different types of hops, dried malts, malted barleys and tools of the trade. Not to mention the ginger beer of course!

In these austerous times, a home brew shop must be one of few that actually benefits from folk getting more skint and looking for ways to avoid paying their money to the taxman - But still getting their beer! - So next time someone suggests, what kind of shop could open in the old XXXXX place, a home brew one sounds like a worthwhile venture!

bigk
13-Nov-11, 20:51
Think you will find Coopers do a ginger ale kit available on Ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coopers-Home-Brew-Ginger-Beer-Ale-Making-Kit-20L-NEW-/330494601458?pt=Home_Brew&hash=item4cf30368f2#ht_2247wt_1216
thanks for that i will try it adi1...