PDA

View Full Version : How disappointing!

Beat Bug
10-Nov-11, 12:30
Back in July I attended a taster session to learn Gaedhlig. Quite a few of us turned up for it, so further sessions were put in place, starting last Saturday. Sadly only 4 of us turned up! What a let down! As a result, the course has now been cancelled, as it's not a viable option to run a course with only 4 pupils. I was really looking forward to learning the language, but was so disappointed at the small turn out.
The course will be advertised again, and hopefully will re-commence mid January. Maybe there are more of you out there who would like to avail of this opportunity? I hope so, as now that I've had a taste of it, I'd really love to continue.

Kodiak
10-Nov-11, 12:42
Not surprised at all that it was cancelled. I am more surprised that as many as four, (4), turned up. That is Four times as many I thought would have.

Alrock
10-Nov-11, 14:54
Language is for communication, since 99.9% of Gaelic speakers have English as their 1st language learning Gaelic yourself is not going to help you communicate better with anyone. If you want to learn another language then at least pick one that is going to have some pratical use.

mi16
10-Nov-11, 15:15
By virtue of your previous statement learning Gaelic will help communicate with the 0.1% of non English speaking folk with Gaelic as their mother tongue.

Kodiak
10-Nov-11, 15:39
By virtue of your previous statement learning Gaelic will help communicate with the 0.1% of non English speaking folk with Gaelic as their mother tongue.

Since the Number of people in Scotland who have some ability to speak Gaelic is extimated to be 58,650. Then if 0.1% is the number that has Gaelic as their first Language, then would mean that BeatBug would be able to communicate with only an extra 58.65 People in all of Scotland who have Gaelic as their first Language.

Beat Bug
10-Nov-11, 15:41
Learning something new doesn't need to have a practical purpose. Some people just want to do something for themselves, for no other reason than to just do it!

mi16
10-Nov-11, 15:55
Since the Number of people in Scotland who have some ability to speak Gaelic is extimated to be 58,650. Then if 0.1% is the number that has Gaelic as their first Language, then would mean that BeatBug would be able to communicate with only an extra 58.65 People in all of Scotland who have Gaelic as their first Language.

who said anything about Scotland?

Kodiak
10-Nov-11, 16:02

Considering that BeatBug lives in Scotland, I Live in Scotland, so that is why Scotland.

I have no Idea where you live but I think it is on a Different Planet.

mi16
10-Nov-11, 17:43
Considering that BeatBug lives in Scotland, I Live in Scotland, so that is why Scotland.

I have no Idea where you live but I think it is on a Different Planet.

It may put pressure on your mind but there is a possibility that a Gaelic speaking Scotsperson has moved elsewhere and then there is even the more mind bending theory that folk from other nationalities may have taken the time to learn Gaelic.

trix
10-Nov-11, 19:05
i think its great til learn gaelic, anythin til stretch 'e mind...an' ye mite say, choost as affective as yon little game things that people go on aboot...cept its more cultural an' sophisticated (i think anyway) :Razz

i kent a manie that came fie...eh somewhere far awie, shetland maybe? beeg broag accent on'um.

he lives in one o' 'e auld fowkie homes. i used til often speak bits o' gaelic til him when i went in wi' his cupy o' tea. i telt him that ma faither hed learned gaelic himsel an' that id pickt up bits an' pieces fie him.

i maybe hedna seem him for a bit an' one day when i went in wi' his cuppy i says, "Ciamar a tha sibh?"

he wis delited an' went on til tell me aboot 'iss "lassie that works here sometimes, an her faither learned himsel til speak gaelic ye ken, an' she pickt up bits an' pieces fie him....oh my, but...she's braw i tell ye" :lol:

i wis tryin no til laugh but i managed til say, "aye, i think i ken 'e lassie yer on aboot" [lol]

it wis funny....

Kodiak
11-Nov-11, 01:07
It may put pressure on your mind but there is a possibility that a Gaelic speaking Scotsperson has moved elsewhere and then there is even the more mind bending theory that folk from other nationalities may have taken the time to learn Gaelic.

No that is not mind bending at all. Gaelic is supposed to be a Living Language and thriving. But is it.

Latin had been a Dead language for many, many, many years. But is it.

There are more people on this planet that speak Latin than those who speak Gaelic.

So it looks like that Latin is the living Language and Gaelic is the Dead one.

Now I bet you found that mind bending, well at least you.

linnie612
11-Nov-11, 01:23
I have no interest in attending a class on, say, flower arranging - nor do I have a right to have a go at someone who does

Kodiak
11-Nov-11, 02:15
I have no interest in attending a class on, say, flower arranging - nor do I have a right to have a go at someone who does

I have no interest in Flower arranging either. Even if I did I would not ask others to join a group like the OP is. Thant is the point.Just because a person is interested in something it does not mean to say there is anyone else interested in it. This can happen and does so the op should not be surprised when no one wanted to join in a class fpr Gaelic. Most people are just not interested in learning Gaelic it seems.

mi16
11-Nov-11, 10:24
No that is not mind bending at all. Gaelic is supposed to be a Living Language and thriving. But is it.

There are more people on this planet that speak Latin than those who speak Gaelic.

If the language is in daily use then it is obviously living buddy?
Well at least I........what?

sids
11-Nov-11, 13:21
I have no interest in Flower arranging either. Even if I did I would not ask others to join a group like the OP is. .

So how do flower arranging groups start? Someone must ask someone to join.

mi16
11-Nov-11, 17:11
Even if I did I would not ask others to join a group like the OP is.

Where exactly has the OP asked anyone to join the course anyway?

Alice in Blunderland
11-Nov-11, 18:10
Oh for the love of the wee man !!! :roll:

Beat Bug only posted how disappointed they were and how they hoped that in the future it may happen. My guess is that the intention of the post was to raise awareness to those of us interested in learning the language in the near future that there is a possibility of it.

Talking of surprises with so many folks on this board so happy to post their surprise at people wishing to partake in Gaelic or their thoughts on the language being 'dead' I was amazed that only just over four people turned up to voice their views on the Gaelic plan recently at an open meeting in Thurso.

Maybe we can take from that that some people don't mind whats going on and its only the 'few armchair critics' that do :Razz

Honestly some folk just don't know when to wind their knecks in and its no wonder that fewer people are bothering to post these days. They all seem to be sticking to facebook.

ducati
11-Nov-11, 18:55
Not getting into the argument, but how many is only just over 4 Alice?

Kodiak
11-Nov-11, 19:05
Not getting into the argument, but how many is only just over 4 Alice?

I would guess that might be 5.....maybe 6.......or even 7..........I admit I dont know either. :D

David Banks
11-Nov-11, 19:41

Relevant point.

There is an active Gaelic college on Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia and an active Gaelic culture on the island. When I lived there, the City Hall offices for Sydney had bilingual signs - Gaelic and English, and the "Mac" section of the Cape Breton telephone directory took up a substantial portion of the book.

Mystical Potato Head
11-Nov-11, 20:30

You cant compare the two.Latin is used in all medical terms, biological, botanical, zoological, architectural, geographical and the legal field.Lets not forget the church as well.
So anyone the world over studying any of these fields,no matter what their nationality will learn Latin so i would reckon there are more Doctors,biologists,etc the world over than there are
Gaelic speakers.
Gaelic is still a native language used daily to communicate by those who speak it and is therefore very much living.
Latin is an academic language and is not the official language of anywhere other than the Vatican City, so there are no native speakers of latin, therefore its a dead language.....Simples!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Errogie
11-Nov-11, 23:32
Any language that translates "butterfly" as picture of God and an "owl" as a lady of the night has got to be worth getting to know more about. English definitely doesn't have the last word in expressiveness and you might be surprised at how many Gaelic words appear in Caithness dialect.

Beat Bug
11-Nov-11, 23:49
Alice in Blunderland seems to be the only one who gets my drift! I was merely commenting on my disappointment at the poor turn out to the classes. I still want to learn the language, just for me! Over the years I've done many things, just for me, and I'm sure there are many of you orgers who've done the same.

Torvaig
11-Nov-11, 23:52
Back in July I attended a taster session to learn Gaedhlig. Quite a few of us turned up for it, so further sessions were put in place, starting last Saturday. Sadly only 4 of us turned up! What a let down! As a result, the course has now been cancelled, as it's not a viable option to run a course with only 4 pupils. I was really looking forward to learning the language, but was so disappointed at the small turn out.
The course will be advertised again, and hopefully will re-commence mid January. Maybe there are more of you out there who would like to avail of this opportunity? I hope so, as now that I've had a taste of it, I'd really love to continue.

If you don't have any joy in finding a gaelic class I recommend buying a book!

"Everyday Gaelic" by Morag MacNeill is a good place to start as it explains the grammar, derivations etc., and also the pronunciation of the words although you can't beat hearing the language live or on tape for authenticity.

Morag's book divides her teaching into subjects e.g., in the country, topography, flora and fauna, eating out, place names, travelling and many other aspects of life. You will find many similarities to Latin and French so if you have studied these languages it is a great help but not necessary as she explains it all very well.

I have the book if you would like to have a look at it and see if it is for you.

Beat Bug
12-Nov-11, 00:35
Thank you Torvaig, I'll have look for the book. Pronunciation shouldn't be a problem, as I was once fluent in Gaelic, having learned it in school in Ireland.

Torvaig
12-Nov-11, 00:41
Oh good; you have a flying start then; good luck!