PDA

View Full Version : Amazed,angry an disgusted

baggins
10-Nov-11, 06:56
I overheard 2 guys talking yesterday,so im posting to ask is there any truth to the rumour that home delivery/yodel is pulling out there services in north of scotland? I for 1 am disgusted if its true,just becoze i dont dwell in the central belt shouldnt mean i get 2nd class services from a national company,delivery services have a responsibility to provide there services to rural an isolated spots,isnt this what it all started for. Our driver Euan has delivered from inverness,when ajg have refused to come out in snow from castletown!!!! im disgusted if this is true an ill be writing to yodel an i hope others will follow suit,its wrong in my book. We deserve the same services as any other part of the british isles or is central belt isles now???? Really disgusted if this is true.

RecQuery
10-Nov-11, 08:48
We get 2nd class service from all delivery companies up here. Some charge higher fees when they're not needed and any 24 hour service is more like 72 hours to a week if you're lucky, they just plain lie on any package tracking/we tried to deliver stuff.

theone
10-Nov-11, 10:18
Independent private companies have no "responsibility" to provide their goods or services to us in Caithness, or anywhere else, if they don't want to.

Perhaps we were spoiled for too long with the old Royal Mail "one price anywhere" policy? Unfortunately private companies won't, or can't, match that.

I hate the delivery problems we have up here, and the surcharges, as much as anyone. But expecting the same services and prices as further south (unless the government offer subsidies) is foolish.

RecQuery
10-Nov-11, 10:54
Independent private companies have no "responsibility" to provide their goods or services to us in Caithness, or anywhere else, if they don't want to.

Perhaps we were spoiled for too long with the old Royal Mail "one price anywhere" policy? Unfortunately private companies won't, or can't, match that.

I hate the delivery problems we have up here, and the surcharges, as much as anyone. But expecting the same services and prices as further south (unless the government offer subsidies) is foolish.

I agree, I was just complaining not expecting anything/thinking I should have a right. Yet people further south get goods and services for the same price it costs to provide them in the north when it should cost more, because of subsidies and regulations - like you said - and thus the north-south divide expands.

Nick Noble
10-Nov-11, 11:02
If you really want to make a difference then refuse to buy from anyone that does not use the Royal Mail. Their parcel delivery service is quick and as cheap as any other organisation - usually cheaper for up here because of the Royal Mail Universal Service Obligation :
http://www2.royalmail.com/customer-service/universal-service

And make sure it is Royal Mail, and not Parcelfarce, because with them there is a huge big surcharge.

nicnak
10-Nov-11, 11:23
I cn understand how you must feel but i must pick up on the quote that you pointed out saying that AJG wouldnt come out to Castletown if it was snowing, I think that is fair do you honestly think that a driver should put their life on the line just to deliver you a parcel???????

bekisman
10-Nov-11, 11:31
We get many things sent up from the south, it's often fascinating to note that 'stuff' coming from say Newcastle will attract a premium, and yet being sent down to the west country (further distance) does not

Kodiak
10-Nov-11, 11:59
Most Couriers charge Extra for delivering up here. What is common to see on eBay for delivery is something like this :-

"Free Delivery to UK Mainland Except the Following Areas, Highlands of Scotland, and all off Shore Islands. email for the Extra Delivery Charge."

If it is something I really want I will e-mail and ask if they can send by Royal Mail. If not I do not buy and I look elsewhere and I usually find a seller who will post item by Royal Mail.

The seller that really got me was the one who charged an Extra £19.99 for delivery to Caithness. I know this is not inusual but his location was Dingwall :eek:

So i Always ask now how anything I buy is going to be delivered, if they say anything but Royal Mail I usually say no thanks and buy from someone who uses Royal Mail.

Beat Bug
10-Nov-11, 12:20
A few years ago we wanted to but something from Wales, but they said there would be an £11 surcharge. So we asked if they would deliver to our daughter in Hampshire instead. A few days later the goods arrived via Royal Mail. We decided they must have been trying it on!

mi16
10-Nov-11, 13:01
We get many things sent up from the south, it's often fascinating to note that 'stuff' coming from say Newcastle will attract a premium, and yet being sent down to the west country (further distance) does not
]

This will likely be because there will be many packages heading South and not so many heading North hence the cost of delivering is more per parcel. Simple business practice really.

Kodiak
10-Nov-11, 13:06
]

This will likely be because there will be many packages heading South and not so many heading North hence the cost of delivering is more per parcel. Simple business practice really.

No Sorry, but this is incorrect as there is far more Packages that come into Caithness than go Out. On saying that the Majority of Packages that go south do so by Royal Mail.

mi16
10-Nov-11, 13:19
No sorry, you cannot read a post.
I was replying to a post regarding parcels originating from Newcastle, not Caithness.

mentallywinnie
10-Nov-11, 13:43
Can I ask a small question???
Has anyone actually ASKED home/yodel if this is true??
Simples!

weezer 316
10-Nov-11, 13:59
It evidently costs more to delver up here, and the volume is such that a half fill can can mean a company making a loss for an entire month as opposed to a profit. Its life. You choose to live here, Delivery companies, or any other company, arent charities.

upolian
10-Nov-11, 14:07
Yodel are complete idiots,they cost me alot of money,i made an order with a company that supplies me products for work,i waited 3weeks for not exactly a big order 7 bottles of 500ml products,i had promised clients specific details on they're cars,every other company can deliver to me in 3 days no problem,i hadn't thought anything of it until i started getting the usual pathetic excuses,

on that note,i won't miss the clowns,good riddance!

bekisman
10-Nov-11, 14:12
]

Gosh, that's surprising, did not think about that..

sandyr1
10-Nov-11, 16:39
The Royal Mail....
Saw an interview with your New Woman, Moya Greene, who the UK Gov't hired to Pritatize the Royal Mail/Salary 700,000 pounds plus expenses...And she was hired from Canada where we now are lucky to get delivery 3/4 days per week.
Mind you the expenses of the UK Postal Service is unbelievable...An example....A wee bitty towards the West of Caithness a person drives approx 10 miles nearly every day to deliver perhaps one letter....this road goes thru 2 burns...that is just one farm/ there are lots more/ A 4X4 lasts one year. So that has to stop....

Mind you....some deliveries are good/ well for me anyway....Flew into Glasgow/ my case was lost/ next day a Taxi appeared in Caithness with said case!

Kodiak
10-Nov-11, 18:34
The Royal Mail....
Saw an interview with your New Woman, Moya Greene, who the UK Gov't hired to Pritatize the Royal Mail/Salary 700,000 pounds plus expenses...And she was hired from Canada where we now are lucky to get delivery 3/4 days per week.
Mind you the expenses of the UK Postal Service is unbelievable...An example....A wee bitty towards the West of Caithness a person drives approx 10 miles nearly every day to deliver perhaps one letter....this road goes thru 2 burns...that is just one farm/ there are lots more/ A 4X4 lasts one year. So that has to stop....

Mind you....some deliveries are good/ well for me anyway....Flew into Glasgow/ my case was lost/ next day a Taxi appeared in Caithness with said case!

I have had a word with two of the Posties who deliver out west of Caithness and they have informed me of the following.

They do not Drive down any Road that goes through 2 Burns.
They do not use a 4 X 4 but have 3 vans that go out that way, 2 Vauxhall and 1 Ford
All Royal Mail Vehicles are Kept on the road for a Minimum of 7 Years, sometimes longer.

So you are implying that Royal Mail should stop Deliveries to Farms. I do not think so and as far as I can see what Royal Mail do in Scotland has nothing to do with you, since you live in Canada.

baggins
10-Nov-11, 21:11
Ive been doing a little investigating. Many "yodel" parcels are being delivered by ajg which do the former dhl parcels which yodel took over. the home delivery vans do amozon,argos,catalogue purchases,john lewis etc. i believe they are resticted to weight of parcels. upolian i think from wot you say this would of been a former dhl delivery now undertaken by ajg,to the best of my knowledge. catalogue purchases can be returned via royal mail but not delivered by them. A catalogue purchase has a flat rate of between £3 an £4. I intend to complain strongly but want as much info as i could get. an finally nicnak,our driver Euan came the same day as ajg would come from castletown,he came up from inverness. so not a case of riskin there lives as you say. they just didnt try.

sandyr1
11-Nov-11, 00:03
I have had a word with two of the Posties who deliver out west of Caithness and they have informed me of the following.

They do not Drive down any Road that goes through 2 Burns.
They do not use a 4 X 4 but have 3 vans that go out that way, 2 Vauxhall and 1 Ford
All Royal Mail Vehicles are Kept on the road for a Minimum of 7 Years, sometimes longer.

So you are implying that Royal Mail should stop Deliveries to Farms. I do not think so and as far as I can see what Royal Mail do in Scotland has nothing to do with you, since you live in Canada.

Really/ Well I took the trip one day on that route, with the 'postie'. ......4 years ago...And it was a 4 X 4. And that is what we did and \clawed' around the side of a Loch.
So perhaps you should get out a wee bitty more.
And I belong to and regularly visit the home State....But I am sure you are the expert.
BTW..The people of the UK may have somewhat of a surprise the new way of mail delivery...It is not good but.....it's life

The Royal Mail is another unsustainable expense/ the same as it is/was here/ extreme unsustainable requires extreme measures....
And another BTW....I do support the Caithness economy......likely more than some.......get the msg!

Kodiak
11-Nov-11, 00:18
Really/ Well I took the trip one day on that route, with the 'postie'. ......4 years ago...And it was a 4 X 4. And that is what we did and \clawed' around the side of a Loch.
So perhaps you should get out a wee bitty more.
And I belong to and regularly visit the home State....But I am sure you are the expert.
BTW..The people of the UK may have somewhat of a surprise the new way of mail delivery...It is not good but.....it's life

And perhaps you should get up to date a bit more. That 4 x 4 you talk about used to be the Post Bus, USED to be I say as it no longer runs and has not done so for quite a few years.

It would have gone the long way round as it had to, not to deliver mail but had to go that way as it was a BUS, get it, BUS Route.

If it had not been a Post Bus you would not have been allowed on it as only Royal Mail staff are allowed to ride in Royal Mail Vans, except if it is a Post Bus. My Son used to drive it and he was one of the last ones to do so.

I might not an Expert but my knowledge of our Postal system is at least up to date where you are years out of Date.

golach
11-Nov-11, 00:33
I might not an Expert but my knowledge of our Postal system is at least up to date where you are years out of Date.
But Sandy stopped being one of us a whilie ago, and became the North American font of all knowledge [lol]

Moira
11-Nov-11, 01:07
But Sandy stopped being one of us a whilie ago, and became the North American font of all knowledge [lol]

Yup!

I'm expecting a delivery from Amazon via Yodel tomorrow. The estimated delivery date is 14/11 but my parcel was scanned in at the Inverness Depot late yesterday afternoon. (Thursday 10/11). I've never had any problems with this Courier.

Neil Howie
11-Nov-11, 01:12
This may be of interest r.e. a similar theme regarding delivery to Caithness

http://www.highland.gov.uk/businessinformation/tradingstandards/e-commerce/

Those of us who live and work in the ‘Scottish Highlands’ will be familiar with the additional costs and delays when ordering goods online and there is a widespread feeling that the Highlands are not being treated fairly by some online retailers. For example, some retailers claim to offer Free UK delivery when in fact hidden surcharges apply to certain areas usually including the Highlands & Islands. Such 'FREE' claims are likely to be illegal. The Highland Council has a duty to enforce consumer protection laws surrounding internet sales and the Trading Standards Service has embarked on a project to trace and tackle those businesses that fall foul of internet trading law.

We want consumers and business owners who have experienced unfair or misleading delivery charges online to contact us and give our officers the details so that we can investigate any substantive issues.

sandyr1
11-Nov-11, 02:14
And perhaps you should get up to date a bit more. That 4 x 4 you talk about used to be the Post Bus, USED to be I say as it no longer runs and has not done so for quite a few years.

It would have gone the long way round as it had to, not to deliver mail but had to go that way as it was a BUS, get it, BUS Route.

If it had not been a Post Bus you would not have been allowed on it as only Royal Mail staff are allowed to ride in Royal Mail Vans, except if it is a Post Bus. My Son used to drive it and he was one of the last ones to do so.

This was not the bus route! Yup Boss.... got it....But it was not the Bus route.
I shall leave it there. You know not of what you talketh/ Perhaps the 4 X 4's are gone....that is great. Costs less money, but 7 years.....I think you are a wee bitty out of touch.
Yup Golach////when you get a chance take a swipe/ I was in Caithness/ Sutherland twice this year and last year etc etc....and I pay Taxes there.....

I forgot...The buses were gone then.....this was no that long ago....

Kodiak
11-Nov-11, 03:13
This was not the bus route! Yup Boss.... got it....But it was not the Bus route.
I shall leave it there. You know not of what you talketh/ Perhaps the 4 X 4's are gone....that is great. Costs less money, but 7 years.....I think you are a wee bitty out of touch.
Yup Golach////when you get a chance take a swipe/ I was in Caithness/ Sutherland twice this year and last year etc etc....and I pay Taxes there.....

I forgot...The buses were gone then.....this was no that long ago....

You do not know what you are talking about. I never said the Busses were Gone, I said the Royal Mail Post Bus had stopped years ago. ONLY the Royal Mail Post Bus was stopped not any other Bus Service.

I have told you already that it was my Son who used to drive the Post Bus, and the Land Rover was it.

Perhaps you think you were not on a Bus Route since you did not get charged a Bus Fare. Simply put they were not allowed to charge a Bus Fare. The reason being is this. To be able to charge a Bus Fare the Driver MUST hold a PSV Licence, ie a Public Service Vehicle Licence, since No Postie has such a Licence they could only drive the Post Bus with Passengers as long as they did not charge them any Bus Fare.

It also was not a Normal Bus Route as it was the Post Bus Route. It was supposed to drive all the roads that a Regular Bus could not go, so that Passengers could get as close to their homes safely. As they often took Disabled passengers they would drive slowly and right to their door if necessary.

So you are 100% Completely WRONG as it was the Post Bus you was on. If it been any other Royal Mail Vehicle then you would NOT have been allowed to get an as that is against the Law. Yes I really mean that, as it against the Law and you could go to Jail for riding on a Royal Mail Vehicle except in one circumstance. Yes you Got it, If you were on a Royal Mail Post Bus.

Have you got it in your head yet, You were on the Royal Mail Post Bus.

Yes Royal Mail do keep all their Vehicles for 7 years, they are not Bought but are on a 7 Year Lease and due to this they can not change any vehicle until it is at least 7 years old. In thurso the youngest van is four years okd and the oldest is nearly 8 years old, soon to be changed next year.

You may think I am a bitty out of touch, I'm not you know, but I know that you are completely and utterly out of touch. You may, or may not have been in Sutherland and Caithness twice this year, I do not know, and I do not care either. All I know is that if you were here you never gleaned any new information regarding Royal Mail in Thurso.

DrChin
11-Nov-11, 03:40
I remember that Post Bus. It was great as the postie was always cheerful and quite happy to talk. He used to stop every now and then to pick up mail from a lonely post box but he never did deliver. I used to go out to Bettyhill on a Saturday to visit my Grand Mother until she passed away. It took a while but who can complain when you got the ride for nothing, great service it was as well. If I rember correctly the Last time I was on this Post Bus it was in 2004 or 2005 and then it stopped within a couple of months.

sandyr1
11-Nov-11, 03:57
OK....K..... I know as much about Caithness as you do...This was not the Royal Mail Post Bus/ this was not a Land Rover.
Did I mention Thurso/ Naaaa.
So lets leave it/ your area is strictly Thurso/ go to jail.....wowee.
I didn't ask for your 'curtailed comments'...You chose to jump in.
The reason I brought this up is you have now inherited our worst enemy for likely close to One Million Pounds with expenses..
Good luck.....Good desc of the buses......Gawd!

mi16
11-Nov-11, 10:18
I think you digress a touch gentlemen, this thread is nothing to do with the Royal Mail.

sandyr1
11-Nov-11, 13:36
I think you digress a touch gentlemen, this thread is nothing to do with the Royal Mail.

I agree with you on that point/ Someone did mention the R.M., and as I know that said Service is so important in the North of Scotland, I was just making comment on your new 'Boss'.
People see things from different angles/perspectives....thus these comments. Thanks...s

pottheed
11-Nov-11, 18:38
Royal Mail DOES have a 4x4 still, its a 60 plate Ford Ranger, regularly used around halkirk

the boss
11-Nov-11, 20:43
aint you loosing track here??? if i read baggins right we are gettin hoodwinked an fobbed off. yodel (home delivery) aint responsible for the charges or mistakes. seems its another company doing dhl parcels under yodel name. i get my clubby stuff ok. it would be a blasted insult if we were deemed unworthy or worth the effort to keep our services from home delivery,it used to be white arrow deliverin for clubby an got to big for its boots,it started as deliveries to those far from shops,now it turns its back on its origins.[evil]

Torvaig
11-Nov-11, 23:06
Maybe this is what you are looking for:

http://www.highland.gov.uk/deliverycharges.htm

Alrock
12-Nov-11, 00:08
Maybe this is what you are looking for:

http://www.highland.gov.uk/deliverycharges.htm

Thanks for the link, completed the survey regarding an ebay seller who advertised free delivery (no mention of any surcharge on the listing) & then after I had paid for the item tried to charge me an additional £60 for delivery. I just cancelled the transaction & went elsewhere that did have genuine free delivery.

wunnell
19-Nov-11, 19:21
I overheard 2 guys talking yesterday,so im posting to ask is there any truth to the rumour that home delivery/yodel is pulling out there services in north of scotland? I for 1 am disgusted if its true,just becoze i dont dwell in the central belt shouldnt mean i get 2nd class services from a national company,delivery services have a responsibility to provide there services to rural an isolated spots,isnt this what it all started for. Our driver Euan has delivered from inverness,when ajg have refused to come out in snow from castletown!!!! im disgusted if this is true an ill be writing to yodel an i hope others will follow suit,its wrong in my book. We deserve the same services as any other part of the british isles or is central belt isles now???? Really disgusted if this is true.

How about getting back on topic? Can we manage that?

If Yodel (HDNL/whatever) are pulled from Highland deliveries, you can bet your bottom dollar that we'll end up with worse or no service. I always buy amazon on free delivery if I can (nothing is so important to me that it can't wait 5 days)
I shall be emailing Yodel to ask if your comment is true baggins, as I wouldn't want to lose Euan and have him replaced with a "monkey" that just dumps the stuff in the front porch and runs, even when it says signature required...

Duncansby
19-Nov-11, 19:48
If you haven't seen the Groat yet this week there is an article about high delivery charges and work the CAB are doing in order to tackle it. Also available online: http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/News/Rip-off-delivery-charge-firms-cause-anger-in-Caithness-18112011.htm.

mentallywinnie
19-Nov-11, 23:48
I repeat......
Simples!

baggins
27-Nov-11, 12:44
Ive been away so aint been on the computer. I have sent email voicing my concerns,but havent had any form of reply. Wunnell your damn right. Ok heres a few updates ive been able to discover. Hdln(HOME) is part of yodel as is the old dhl domestic,the 2 companies joined, dhl up here was primarily done by ajg. The home deliveries are majorly catalogue parcels not next,freemans or m&m direct. Many catalouges offerer free delivery. The HOME couriers if pulled out of the highlands an inverness depot closed, will result in your catalouge deliveries being brought to you via another company with diffrent rules of delivery. I cannot stress how serious i think this is, services up in caithness are far from perfect in my opinion,an to loose a national delivery company is bad in my book,whats next?:(

biggles
28-Nov-11, 06:09
Havent posted in a long time an hubby an me not sure if we should comment,we no longer get any deliveries. This is because of the unfair treatment our driver got when taken off this area,but hes back in the north on the other side. But our daughter gets stuff in thurso,she thinks her deliveries from catalogue an so forth are brilliant an thats home drivers. On a recent occasion she expected 2 amazon parcels,home delivered 1 an ajg gave her a card in the door for another,she was in,then the parcel coudnt be traced,interesting thing is it was yodel contact number but not home delivery. Me an hubby think it would be a shame an a bad mistake if we up north just let them go without a fight.

veekay
28-Nov-11, 19:17
I repeat......
Simples!

Only rumour - again! but as I understand it AJG are reported to be taking over from Yodel. Heaven help us

baggins
28-Nov-11, 19:46
Think its more than just rumour veekay an its home delivery parcels they would be doing,they already do yodel parcels from the dhl part of yodel. makin a mess of that,theyll end up messing up catalouge parcels too.

the boss
29-Nov-11, 22:13
Just posted on the thread about couriers,actually ironic that couriers are being complained at.JUST WAIT,if we allow home delivery to close in inverness,itll be the couriers that bring your parcels or rather not bring them,MY GOD,if it wasnt serious,id be laughing. Ok lets sit on our backsides telling ourselves it wont/cant happen.WAKE UP 1 MORNING no parcels. Youll wish then youd done something. Spilt milk comes to mind.

mi16
29-Nov-11, 22:20
If a private company wishes to withdraw a service then what precicely can anyone do about it?

Corrie 3
29-Nov-11, 22:30
If a private company wishes to withdraw a service then what precicely can anyone do about it?
Dont worry, in true Tory fashion..................if one company goes under another one will be along soon to take it's place!!!

C3........[disgust][disgust]

the boss
29-Nov-11, 22:33
Have you read there web page? Home delivery state "putting the customer first".Ok yeah im a customer but then so is the clubbys there customer.

the boss
29-Nov-11, 22:38
I dont believe home is going under corrie, its just not bothered about non central belt areas maybe.

mi16
29-Nov-11, 22:45
they will be wanting to concentrate on more heavily populated areas, it makes better business sense.

baggins
07-Dec-11, 21:16
Quick update,i have still not recieved any reply from yodel regarding home delivery depot in inverness closeing.

wunnell
14-Apr-12, 18:53
Something I ordered a few days ago from Amazon... coming with Yodel - from Edinburgh to Birmingham??? WTF I could have had it yesterday? so now it's going to go where? east midlands? then inverness? probably get it Wednesday if I'm lucky.

Date
Time

13 April 2012
06:22:25 PM
Wednesbury WEST MIDLANDS GB
Departure Scan

13 April 2012
06:19:25 PM
Wednesbury WEST MIDLANDS GB
Arrival Scan

12 April 2012
12:01:00 AM
Edinburgh LOTHIAN GB
Shipment received by carrier

dragonfly
15-Apr-12, 13:45
Dog food we order from an online store used to be delivered well within the week by AJG, been waiting nearly 3 weeks for it now with Yodel, the online company got in touch with them to find out whats happening and apparently the order is too big (2x15kg bags of dog food) so its not leaving the warehouse......meanwhile I've had to go and buy more food for them locally, if this is the norm for Yodel then I'll be ordering well in advance of needing it or paying that bit more and buying locally