PDA

View Full Version : No price checking allowed in Tescos...

Leanne
09-Nov-11, 23:23
Apparantly if you wish to price check you're not allowed to write it down - you have to buy the item and the price is on the receipt. Apparantly, according the one Tesco manager, via the Guardian, 'It's the law'

https://apps.facebook.com/theguardian/money/blog/2011/sep/16/tesco-shopping-supermarket-prices-check-writing?fb_ref=U-O1BLwoNSlGla4BkmIisGaX-CFCONX01FRS-3xj66XXX%2CU-NRYy1d4BAD4R4oAxImuYgK-CFCONX01FRS-32245XXX%2CU-2MflsGFxeYFR425iIAojbM-CFCONX01FRS-3xq7bXXX%2CU-f6y6hUlXkm2m4mTDINjvww-CFCONX01FRS-xcd5tXXX&fb_source=home_multiline&fb_action_types=news.reads

secrets in symmetry
09-Nov-11, 23:57
What exactly is "price checking"?

sids
10-Nov-11, 00:12
What exactly is "price checking"?

You won't find out from that link.

bekisman
10-Nov-11, 00:22
Strange like it might seem, but some of us are not on facebook

Bobinovich
10-Nov-11, 00:38
Here's the non-Facebooked link (http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/blog/2011/sep/16/tesco-shopping-supermarket-prices-check-writing?fb=optOut)

gerry4
10-Nov-11, 09:46
just like a lot of things that go around on the net, like the poppy and shopworkers not being allowed to wear them, Tesco's was a one of these. This happened a few months ago and Tesco's head office next day said it was not company policy,a over zealous manager. People could check away to their hearts content.

poppett
10-Nov-11, 09:51
Bring it on!!

I have a list when I shop in Tesco or the Co-op and tally up as I go round. In Tesco it is because I am usually splitting the big shop into two to benefit from two fuel vouchers, in the Co-op so I know exactly how much the bill is going to be as so often they get it wrong.

Did have an altercation in Tesco on Monday when I picked up two items, both with the same red sticker "buy 2 for 3quid" I asked the girl about the offer to be told it had to be two of the same item, not mix and match, even though the stickers were identical. Put both back, and went to the local butcher on the way home!

If they try to stop me keeping a tally I just won`t shop there again.

What about folks who have a strict budget?

Get a grip!

bekisman
10-Nov-11, 09:55
Thanks Bob
Must admit Mrs Beks has written down comparison prices for years AND she uses a calculator for checking their bulk offers.. anyway seems:

"The [Tesco] spokesman said that forbidding members of the public to jot down prices is not Tesco policy and that the reality is that Tesco want customers to check out their prices so that they can discover that they are cheaper...
A statement sent to Myfinances.co.uk said: "It is not Tesco policy to stop customers (or journalists) checking or writing down prices, in fact we would encourage them to compare our prices to others.As well as checking in store, customers can check all our prices on our website. Tesco operates a national pricing policy so you can be sure that the price on the website will be the same as the price charged in Dundee and Dover."

http://www.myfinances.co.uk/cut-your-bills/2011/09/21/tesco-deny-they-have-a-policy-that-forbids-customers-recordi (http://www.myfinances.co.uk/cut-your-bills/2011/09/21/tesco-deny-they-have-a-policy-that-forbids-customers-recordi)

Corrie 3
10-Nov-11, 10:16
Tesco operates a national pricing policy so you can be sure that the price on the website will be the same as the price charged in Dundee and Dover."
(http://www.myfinances.co.uk/cut-your-bills/2011/09/21/tesco-deny-they-have-a-policy-that-forbids-customers-recordi)
Pity they cant say that about their petrol and diesel......the further south you go the cheaper it gets!!!

C3........[disgust][disgust]

bekisman
10-Nov-11, 11:25
Pity they cant say that about their petrol and diesel......the further south you go the cheaper it gets!!!

C3........[disgust][disgust]Quite agree, but at least it's cheaper than the rip-off we had up here (good to see that gulf in Wick is only a 1p or 2p more expensive)

Kodiak
10-Nov-11, 12:19
Quite agree, but at least it's cheaper than the rip-off we had up here (good to see that gulf in Wick is only a 1p or 2p more expensive)

Lucky you as the Gulf, (Dunnets), Station in Thurso is 6p a Lt more expensive on Diesel than Tesco. Then if you have some money off Vouchers, (3 X 5p off per lt), you can get Diesel up to 21p a Lt Cheaper. that sure makes a big difference.

As to the thread topic. I usually go around Tesco in Wick with a Pen and Paper. I have my Shopping list and I mark down the price of the item as I go around. I have never been approached and told I can not do this.

After Shopping I go for a cup of coffee and I check my List with the till receipt to see if they match. More than once I have found I have been over charged so I go to Customer Services Desk and then ask why. I usually get my money back and they say it must be a compuer mistake, but I wonder how many times they get away with this practice.

sids
10-Nov-11, 13:57
All that stupid story really says is that a reporter managed to aggravate shop staff.

bekisman
10-Nov-11, 14:26
[QUOTE=Kodiak;903187]Lucky you as the Gulf, (Dunnets), Station in Thurso is 6p a Lt more expensive on Diesel than Tesco. Then if you have some money off Vouchers, (3 X 5p off per lt), you can get Diesel up to 21p a Lt Cheaper. that sure makes a big difference.

As to the thread topic. I usually go around Tesco in Wick with a Pen and Paper. I have my Shopping list and I mark down the price of the item as I go around. I have never been approached and told I can not do this.

After Shopping I go for a cup of coffee and I check my List with the till receipt to see if they match. More than once I have found I have been over charged so I go to Customer Services Desk and then ask why. I usually get my money back and they say it must be a compuer mistake, but I wonder how many times they get away with this practice.[/QUOTEIn June we changed our car from a geared diesel to an automatic petrol so shove some Gulf stuff in to clean the injectors then later fill up with Tesco's stuff - like you, using the 5p off coupons. - (nope, this is not starting a Tesco's vs national fuel comparisons)..
A few weeks back bought a couple of small tents from Wick Tesco @ £8.99 each, came to £4.00 a couple of Laptrays @ 8.99 came out at £2.00.. so of course rushed back in to tell them there had been a mistake, but they were all busy, so will have to do it some other time..
(this is an EDIT: I've no idea why this post came out like this!)

sandyr1
10-Nov-11, 16:13
just like a lot of things that go around on the net, like the poppy and shopworkers not being allowed to wear them, Tesco's was a one of these. This happened a few months ago and Tesco's head office next day said it was not company policy,a over zealous manager. People could check away to their hearts content.

I think one has to be careful with a statement like that.
People who work with food/ processing or packaging should not be allowed to wear pins/ poppies etc as they are liable to fall in the food.
I think we have all found that these small pins do get dislodged from wherever you decide to wear the Honour.
Recently a story here was highlighed as Store employeees not allowed to wear poppies...big media story as usual BUT all it was.....the people cutting meat etc were told not to wear them whilst doing same/ media never did correct that one/ Media thrives on 'If it bleeeds it leads'.....Their phrase!