PDA

View Full Version : Help with Internet Explorer

IC
09-Nov-11, 22:25
Help!

Strange things been happening on my laptop for about a week or so now. First of all when I was already connected to the internet and viewing a page it would suddenly come up saying that there was no connection! If you went back to last page then you could view the page no bother.

The next thing that is happening that is driving me round the bend is that when viewing pages I have been using for forever more I am getting a box coming up at the bottom of the screen saying "Internet Explorer has blocked this website from showing content with security certificate errors" There is then a box to the right saying show content. This is appearing on sites that I use daily and have never had any bother with at all in the past!!

Can anyone let me know what this problem may be and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks in advance

dx100uk
10-Nov-11, 03:07
download and install microsoft security essentials

then do a full scan

dx

orkneycadian
10-Nov-11, 21:12
Or you could un-install Internet Explorer and install a proper browser.

tonkatojo
22-Feb-12, 13:36
download and install microsoft security essentials

then do a full scan

dx

I follow your suggestions regularly, do you recommend leaving microsoft security essentials as the only defence or do you recommend any other prog IE: norton panda macafee. Thanks in advance.

DKTC
22-Feb-12, 13:53
Hi tonkatojo

If you have not installed MSE yet then do so, but remove any other AV products that you have installed prior to installing MSE, as this can cause you problems.

I have been using MSE since it was released as a Beta version some years ago, and found it to use a smaller footprint that any other commercial AV product.

The product is only as good as the person surfing the net, meaning if you visit a dodgy site then you still can invite a nasty onto your system, and then all hell will break loose

Regards

DKTC

tonkatojo
22-Feb-12, 14:09
Hi tonkatojo

If you have not installed MSE yet then do so, but remove any other AV products that you have installed prior to installing MSE, as this can cause you problems.

I have been using MSE since it was released as a Beta version some years ago, and found it to use a smaller footprint that any other commercial AV product.

The product is only as good as the person surfing the net, meaning if you visit a dodgy site then you still can invite a nasty onto your system, and then all hell will break loose

Regards

DKTC

Thanks I did this morning, along with glary utilities, the reason I took my previous branded protection off it became infected and jiggered the system, all working fine now.

dx100uk
22-Feb-12, 14:14
a very good way of preventing the activeX scripts from running is

NOT SURF THE INTERNET WITH A WINDOWS USER THAT HAS ADMIN RIGHTS

if you are an administrator on your PC , they'll go straight through.

make a new user called ADMIN with admin rights etc

then make ALL other users LIMITED

and NEVER surf the internet with the admin account!!

dx

dx

tonkatojo
22-Feb-12, 14:21
a very good way of preventing the activeX scripts from running is

NOT SURF THE INTERNET WITH A WINDOWS USER THAT HAS ADMIN RIGHTS

if you are an administrator on your PC , they'll go straight through.

make a new user called ADMIN with admin rights etc

then make ALL other users LIMITED

and NEVER surf the internet with the admin account!!

dx

dx

Aye dx I acknowledged your previous input on that subject and duly amended accounts.. Thanks again.

dx100uk
22-Feb-12, 14:51
I follow your suggestions regularly, do you recommend leaving microsoft security essentials as the only defence or do you recommend any other prog IE: norton panda macafee. Thanks in advance.

MSE is not 'just' anti-virus
its covers all threat methods

you do not need to run anything else

though ofcourse its not 'fool' proof

if a 'fool' is using the PC!

it is VERY important to update windows every week & install 'optional' updates

it is also important to be running IE9 too.

i would not ever trust any AV package with other browsers

most people install and run them because they have already screwed IE and it stopped working.
if IE does not work RESET IT!!

tools/internet options/advanced/ reset IE [yes clear pers stuff]

whilst there use the slider and find the tickbox for auto empty temp internet cache and tick that too!!

dx