PDA

View Full Version : 7' 2" Woman Seeks Asylum

connieb19
20-Oct-06, 12:12
Is it just me, or does this seem like madness? This woman being given asylum in the UK because she is tall and gets made a fool of, so she is over here claiming benefits, with no intentions of working.
What's to say she wont get made a fool of over here?

http://www.stockportexpress.co.uk/news/s/218/218788_7ft_woman_to_seek_asylum.html

jaykay
20-Oct-06, 12:19
It is the UK government that is being made a fool off! This 7' 2" scrounger should be left in Pakistan along with all her fellow Pakistani citizens.

j4bberw0ck
20-Oct-06, 12:26
Do you mean that all Pakistani nationals should be confined to Pakistan as opposed to here?

DrSzin
20-Oct-06, 12:31
Perhaps she should be guided towards the Netherlands (http://www.timesanddemocrat.com/articles/2006/09/18/features/doc450f0b2a34cac730024769.txt)?

paris
20-Oct-06, 13:21
Just another excuse to be in england i think. jan x [evil]

pultneytooner
20-Oct-06, 13:35
Send the scrounger back to pakistan, she pays no rent or council tax and recieves £40 a week in benefits, what a bloody joke.

I have diabetes and I can get treatment for free here, unlike in Pakistan where it is more expensive
More expensive than free?

Because of my diabetes I do not plan to work but any money I can make, Scrounge, will be sent back home to my mother and six sisters
They say our own unemployed are a drain on the economy so why compound the problem with people like this?

Billy Boy
20-Oct-06, 13:47
i totally agree with you pultneytooner, if she doesnt want to work then how else is she going to get money, either by scrounging or illegally.
my mother is a pensioner has diabetes & arthritis but yet she still manages to work.
I say send her back to pakistan, why should she be allowed to stay here and get free n.h.s treatment? if she is allowed to stay then she should be made pay for it, no wonder we have to pay such high price's for our prescriptions[evil]

brandy
20-Oct-06, 13:55
im just wondering how bad her diabetis is?
that she can not work?
is she disabled?
i do not like to make assumptions.. as she speaks no english and interpretaion is not always clear..as we know on here how a single word can change the whole meaning.. everything with a grain of salt.
the article to me.. put a slant on the situation.. so i think i will withold my decision..
as if she was being stoned .. which if anyone has ever been hit with a rock .. knows hurts.. just imagine everyday.. it is life threatening..
so just remember that everything you read.. there is always another side.. and papers tend to make what they want to stand out to sell the news

Alice in Blunderland
20-Oct-06, 13:58
It is the UK government that is being made a fool off! This 7' 2" scrounger should be left in Pakistan along with all her fellow Pakistani citizens.

I take it I had better buy my husband a ticket back home then!:eek:

canuck
20-Oct-06, 14:06
I take it I had better buy my husband a ticket back home then!:eek:

Alice in Blunderland, I want to encourage you to ignore the (in my mind, inappropriate) comments made in that earlier post.

David from Stockport
20-Oct-06, 14:35
Its just a joke , I live in Stockport where this woman has come to live it makes me very angry there is a big waiting list for homes in Stockport but this seems to only apply to locals !! others can just jump the q , of course some neds will tease her about her hieght in Pakistan but at 7: 2 she will unfortuantly be teased whereever she lives . England is fast becoming a foriegn country and it makes me very anoyed we have enough scroungers born here we dont need to import them . In the shopping centre i work about a third of visiters are now asian . Immigration in such large numbers does not work especialy from certain countrys that have no intention of even attempting to become intergrated. A few years ago i used to manage a store in Manchester and lots of my staff were coloured Africans and Jamacan but they hated each other and wouldnt even eat together. Ive worked with lots of asians over the years and believe me they are the most racist people that i have ever met in my life , the Pakistanis and Indians hate each other with a passion and the only thing they seem to agree with is they both hate the Bangladishis , dont forget lots still follow the caste system. The other week i went for a meal with a Pakistani girl that im mates with and we had to make sure she was not seen by her family becouse they dont want her mixing with white boys outside of work or uni , yes she goes to uni - not that she wants to train to do anything its just the only way her and her friends can get out of getting sent off to Pakistan to get wed to some distant cousin she s never met in an attempt to get another part of the extended family passports to the promised land. If your family are rich you can have a marrage to someone in the UK but if you are poor you marry someone from Pakistan as the passport counts as the dowry.
As i said in reply to a tread yesterday on the org i had a niece bullied from her house in Preston and a mate forced from his House in Oldham both for the same reason - they were not Pakistanis. I worked with a Pakistani girl who was raped on her wedding night by her new husband who she did not meet intill 2 hours after the wedding !!! she was 17.
Mixing with so many ethnics i could sit here writing horror stories all day but it would only wind me up and depress you guys .
Tony Blair says we need migrants to do the jobs our own wont do !!! with approx 5 million of the working age population classed as economicaly inactive we just need to introduce a system of workfare like they did in America , we all know people perfectly able to work but far better off on benafits .
To finish on the original tread topic i suppose we should be glad she didnt bring a husband 4 kids and in laws becouse as the council dont have a supply of large houses they get placed in lovely nice buy to rent accommodation in leafy suburbs . Me yes im bitter i work 6/7 days a week in a feable attempt to get back on the houseing ladder , but im wasting my time most first time buyer property is now in the hands of buy to let landlords who rent them out to people being supported by the state whether they be immigrants or the bone idle - if you are honest and work hard in this country forget it. Rant over sorry !!!!!!!!!!!

Alice in Blunderland
20-Oct-06, 14:39
Alice in Blunderland, I want to encourage you to ignore the (in my mind, inappropriate) comments made in that earlier post.
Thanks Canuck
I agree that there is a problem and the government should take a stance against the open abuse of the benefits system by ALL. The fact that it is so easy for anyone to make a mockery of the system is wrong and measures should be taken to tighten this up.There are however individuals from all walks of life who come to this country and contribute in many ways to society not always for the worse.Jaykay should you ever find yourself to be unfortunate enough to need the medical services of someone like my husband from Pakistan who has come over here not only to further himself medically but to improve the health of those he sees may you remember the words you have just printed and hope they treat you before they leave to go back from where they came.(Wonder if they would get a tax refund when they leave:lol: )

connieb19
20-Oct-06, 15:16
Surely she'd be handy for stacking the top shelves in Tesco's or something?:confused Or painting ceilings.

Kingetter
20-Oct-06, 15:20
Now if she was a basketball player she'd be in demand, right?

connieb19
20-Oct-06, 15:23
Or maybe there's two of them under there. :eek:

jaykay
20-Oct-06, 16:41
Do you mean that all Pakistani nationals should be confined to Pakistan as opposed to here?
Yes!!
We have enough "home bred" Pakistani's without importing any more! Unless they hold a British passport they should not be in Britain except as visitors.

sam
20-Oct-06, 17:57
Send the scrounger back to pakistan, she pays no rent or council tax and recieves £40 a week in benefits, what a bloody joke.

More expensive than free?

They say our own unemployed are a drain on the economy so why compound the problem with people like this?

well said pultneytooner, its time the government took a harder stand with people like this, it seems that anyone who wants to come into this country and live off the state are more than welcome.
if the cant offer the country a skill or trade then simple dont let them in[evil]

j4bberw0ck
20-Oct-06, 18:19
Yes!!
We have enough "home bred" Pakistani's without importing any more! Unless they hold a British passport they should not be in Britain except as visitors.

Just wondered. Same with Americans, Australians, Germans, Poles? English peoiple in Scotland? Scots in England?

Or do you reserve your enlightened views for darker skinned people only?

Alice in Blunderland
20-Oct-06, 19:10
Yes!!

So where should my children be....their dad holds a foreign Pakistani passport they hold a British one and soon to be a Pakistani one too. I take it they will have to commute to see their dad if your views were adhered to,or because they are holding a Pakistani passport are they on your deportation list also.Back to the topic in hand this lady is abusing the system which needs to be changed so that this country is not seen as a soft touch for all to land upon, dont take it out on those who come here from MANY different countries not only Pakistan to work hard and live accordingly.Remember we are supposed to be a multicultural society that means accepting these 'Visitors' You dont have to be their best friend or like me marry one of them.
And just incase your views are reserved for those of a darker skin as suggested both my children and my husband are very pale :confused will that be their saving grace?

As I have asked before on leaving would he get a handsome tax return at immigration control as whilst in this country he has paid heavily into this system without one word of complaint.:D

Rheghead
20-Oct-06, 19:43
It might be a tall order to get her to back though?

brandy
20-Oct-06, 23:08
god.. this is getting awful.. you sound as bad as my brother when i had my oldest.. he is extremley racist and we stopped talking for months after this argument. he was on about how america should only be for white people and everyone but white americans should get out.. and go back where they belong.
i retorted.. so you think that we should not be able to move back to the states.. that my child your nephew should not be allowed to live there?
his reply was.. that he didnt know.. after all he was a half breed...
i lost my ever lovin mind.
its a good thing people like that are in the minority or we would be in trouble..
we are all the same beneath the skin.. there are good and bad in us all.. maybe we should kick out every lazy bum and bad mouther.. in britian.. what would we have then if every nay sayer and slaggard was tossed out to some 3rd world country.
get with it..
the world is not seprate any longer..

pultneytooner
20-Oct-06, 23:21
god.. this is getting awful.. you sound as bad as my brother when i had my oldest.. he is extremley racist and we stopped talking for months after this argument. he was on about how america should only be for white people and everyone but white americans should get out.. and go back where they belong.
i retorted.. so you think that we should not be able to move back to the states.. that my child your nephew should not be allowed to live there?
his reply was.. that he didnt know.. after all he was a half breed...
i lost my ever lovin mind.
its a good thing people like that are in the minority or we would be in trouble..
we are all the same beneath the skin.. there are good and bad in us all.. maybe we should kick out every lazy bum and bad mouther.. in britian.. what would we have then if every nay sayer and slaggard was tossed out to some 3rd world country.
get with it..
the world is not seprate any longer..

Are her reasons for coming here reason enough for her to be granted asylum in this country I mean she's a 7"2' woman, chances are she'll get picked on wherever she goes, that's life?
She is bringing nothing to this country but another person for the state to feed and house and we don't need any more of those.

brandy
20-Oct-06, 23:24
theres a huge dif. to being made fun of and stoned though isnt there.. but this has gone beyond wheter or not she (this one person) deserves asylum.. and be allowed in this country..

Alice in Blunderland
20-Oct-06, 23:34
Are her reasons for coming here reason enough for her to be granted asylum in this country I mean she's a 7"2' woman, chances are she'll get picked on wherever she goes, that's life?
She is bringing nothing to this country but another person for the state to feed and house and we don't need any more of those.

I think Brandy was taking issue with the one cap fits all ,ship them out comments in some of the posts.Whether or not this woman has a legitimate reason to stay it doesnt mean all Pakistani passport holders should be sent out of this country as has been suggested.

pultneytooner
20-Oct-06, 23:46
I think Brandy was taking issue with the one cap fits all ,ship them out comments in some of the posts.Whether or not this woman has a legitimate reason to stay it doesnt mean all Pakistani passport holders should be sent out of this country as has been suggested.
Quite rightly so as there are people from many different races in this country who are productive members of this society and i have nothing against them, it's the scroungers I take umbrage against as they come here and think know britain will give them a house and a weekly payment of benefits for doing sod all.

robglysen
20-Oct-06, 23:51
My problem with immigration is that the UK is full, no matter where your from or what colour you are, I would never move to an overpolulated country. How are any of these people, even if they secure semi skilled jobs ever ever going to get on the housing ladder the way it is now.
I couldn't ever gat back on it if I found myself off it.
Also if its a matter of harrasment or abuse in your own country, surely to reach the UK you've already come through several 'safe' countries.
Also Diabeties doesn't mean you cant work!

Polite comments welcome if i'm wrong!!

brandy
20-Oct-06, 23:59
*wg* ok.. first off the uk is hardly full..
scotland is very sparsley populated.. with loads and loads of room.. mainly just the south of england that is over populated.

and diabeties is a life threating disease.. i have it belive me i know!
in its early stages and as long as it is tightly controlled it dosent cause to much damage..
but it does cause a lot of damage to your heart.. the chance of stroke and heart failure rises greatly..
also many many people with diabetis loose their feet legs hands arms.. and often their lives.
so yes very easy to be disabled with diabeties..
when you are diabtic.. it is very easy to go into a diabetic coma..
when your sugar goes too high or low.. you start to feel funny... almost drunk like.. you can not think clearly.. your thought become very muddled.. and you sometimes can not string words together..
also you can feel very tired.. and weak.. so tired and weak standing up is too much.
my sugestion is to do a bit of research into it.. as it is a very diliberating illness if not treated promptly and seriously!

sweetpea
21-Oct-06, 00:05
Tony Blair says we need migrants to do the jobs our own wont do !!! with approx 5 million of the working age population classed as economicaly inactive we just need to introduce a system of workfare like they did in America , we all know people perfectly able to work but far better off on benafits .

I totally agree with this, not just for migrants, for everyone. There is no work ethos among a lot of people these days. I have never been unemployed and worked since I was 13, a lot of years ago. In my day if you wanted something you had to earn it. Kids need to be taught more vocational skills in schools and better prepared for the world of work with the persoanl skills that is needed to secure and hold on to a job. Also the goverment needs to put a system in place that makes workign more attractive. Ok there are people who are genuinely not able to work but there are too many chancers out there.

robglysen
21-Oct-06, 00:05
Fair enough, Its just that all the people I know that had it, just had injections. (I wasn't aware of the advanced stages, though someone I know came very close to slipping into a coma)

The uk's current housing is just about full, there are lots of big open spaces but surely digging them all up is not the answer, theres loads of wide open spaces all over europe too!!

Rheghead
21-Oct-06, 00:28
*wg* ok.. first off the uk is hardly full..

At which point would you say that the UK is full?

There is a housing shortage meaning that more houses need to be built and there are environmental concerns that the countryside is disappearing to give way for more housing and roads.
Have you not heard of the energy gap?More people means more energy needs to be sought.
Have you not heard of the pensions crisis? If immigrants haven't been here long enough to pay in then we have pension meltdown.
The NHS is struggling to survive, immigrants will have paid in little but they may have come from low health areas which may cause an extra burden on the NHS.

brandy
21-Oct-06, 00:44
there are so many areas for improvment.. that it would be hard to even begin to cover them all.
the question though was that the UK is overpopulated.. which it is not.
i can not tell you what it is like in other parts of the country for housing but from what i have seen on caithness.org that there is all sorts of housing plans going on.. and that we are growing.
scotland has had a low birth rate for years now.. and could actually do with a boost from what i have read.
honestly i dont know much about england.
as well we are pretty far removed from it.
now this is just an example.. mind you. .but stroma is deserted.. left to ruin covered in houses..
you wouldnt fit many people there.. but it is land with houses already on it!
im not saying we should move people in.. but was just using it as an example.. wow lots of topics would touch on but im too tired.. and wouldnt make much sence right now.. and just sound way way to silly.. never really wanted to get into the whole uk pension/nhs/money thing.. was more upset on the racist tint to the msgs..
at the end of the day we all have to do our part..
if you are well enough off to help another suffering human being then you should.. you shouldnt begrudge them because they are possibly taking away something you may one day want or need.
its just petty... and one day if when you may be in a situation.. that you need help and understanding.. and financial aid.. then perhaps there will be someone understanding to reach out a hand.. and lift you up..
then again perhaps not..
ohh well
getting to deep in thought!
nite nite all

Alice in Blunderland
21-Oct-06, 09:46
As has been pointed out in a few of the posts it seems that it is the system which is once again wrong.It is too easy for anyone white,black or yellow,British or Foriegn, to claim from the state.Its open to abuse from anyone in this country and others coming into it.The fact that they are from another country makes it easier for the finger to be pointed at them and shouts of send them packing to be heard.Okay that being the case ,its then left to our home grown long term abusers of the system to keep up the good work.We are lucky to live in a society where there is a safety net for those who find themselves in the unfortunate position of needing state benefit but when the safety net becomes a comfort blanket then this is where many hard working people become resentfull.As for this lady from Pakistan until we have walked a mile in her shoes we do not know what its been like for her,whether she is entitled to stay or not,whether she has a case or should be sent home is ultimately up to government officials to decide and this is where the problem lies if the government are making it easy then those who have nothing will keep coming to receive something.:D

DrSzin
21-Oct-06, 14:29
Is it just me, or does this seem like madness? This woman being given asylum in the UK because she is tall and gets made a fool of, so she is over here claiming benefits, with no intentions of working.
What's to say she wont get made a fool of over here?

http://www.stockportexpress.co.uk/news/s/218/218788_7ft_woman_to_seek_asylum.html
She hasn't been granted asylum - well, not yet anyway. From the quoted article:

A PAKISTANI woman who stands 7ft 2ins tall is being supported in Stockport while she awaits her asylum hearing as she fears ridicule if sent back to her own country.

Zaynab Bibi, 33, has been granted temporary accommodation near Shaw Heath and says she can’t return to her home town of Toba Tek Singh because youths there throw stones at her and pull her clothes.

However, she is receiving significant suport from the state:

Miss Bibi arrived in Britain earlier this year and spent 15 days handing out ice cream samples for American firm Baskin-Robbins and lodged her claim for asylum in June. She currently pays no rent or council tax and receives £40 a week in benefits.

Again, speaking to a national newspaper it was claimed she said: “I have diabetes and I can get treatment for free here, unlike in Pakistan where it is more expensive,” she added.

“Because of my diabetes I do not plan to work but any money I can make will be sent back home to my mother and six sisters.
“I hope I can stay but I am waiting to hear.”

I must admit to being somewhat surprised that her claim for asylum wasn't dismissed summarily. Even if it fails she will have received a lot of money and that doesn't seem right to me - unless there are details to which we are not privy.

She wants to stay here for free medical treatment, she doesn't plan to work, and any money she does earn will be sent back to Pakistan. These statements will surely not help her case for asylum and my guess is that it will not be granted.

Edit: As for all the other stuff, I pretty much agree with everything that Alice and Brandy wrote.

jaykay
21-Oct-06, 15:15
Just wondered. Same with Americans, Australians, Germans, Poles? English peoiple in Scotland? Scots in England?

Or do you reserve your enlightened views for darker skinned people only?

My views have nothing to do with the colour of peoples skin or their nationalities. If people of any nationality want to come and live and work in UK that is fine with me. However the subject I thought we were discussing was the foreign nationals who want to come and live in UK but do not want to work. In other words they want to scrounge off the state.
We have enough home bred scroungers without importing more.
I am sorry if I have caused offence to any foreign nationals who live in UK and do an honest days work. This was not my intention.

henry20
21-Oct-06, 15:47
My views have nothing to do with the colour of peoples skin or their nationalities. If people of any nationality want to come and live and work in UK that is fine with me. However the subject I thought we were discussing was the foreign nationals who want to come and live in UK but do not want to work. In other words they want to scrounge off the state.
I am sorry if I have caused offence to any foreign nationals who live in UK and do an honest days work. This was not my intention.

Well done for the apology Jaykay - IMO, it was needed as your post did appear to be anti-pakistan (or other race) rather than anti-scroungers.

I am sure that others appreciate you clarifying your stance also. :)

Alice in Blunderland
21-Oct-06, 19:24
Yes!!

Thankyou for the apology although from your words you can see why some people reacted the way they did.

northener
21-Oct-06, 21:45
Brandy,

"scotland has had a low birth rate for years now.. and could actually do with a boost from what i have read."

I think you are doing enough boosting for us all at the moment, aren't you? :)

Piglet
21-Oct-06, 22:01
Well others are but sorry northener, my producing has finished 3 children is enough for me.
If people want to come & live in the U.K & work that is fine by me but to scrounge is anouther matter entirely, don't we have enough people on scrounging of the system.

Sorry to anyone this offends but this is my honest opinion. :)

brandy
21-Oct-06, 23:57
*laughs* well i am on number 3!
trying to rebuild the clans i think!
but my main huff was the racism bit.. and as has already been stated.. it was a misunderstanding.. as oft happens on here..
but as we really dont know all the details its hard to judge..
im all for making lazy gets.. get off their bums and work!
at the same time, we need the policies that allow children and elderly and infirm to have the care they need.
its a very fine line.
and one that is constantly crossed.

coming from a country where health care is for the rich.. or those with a hlaf dozen kids and living off the gov. it is upsetting when a family who works fo every scrap they have .. end up having nothing.. because they make enough to just put food on the table and clothes on the kids.
this country has so many great possibilities.. that so called super countries like america do not have.
you have an economy that helps everyone and not just a chosen few.
your elderly are not having to choose between meds or food.
are not withering away alone without care .. because they cant leave the house and have no one to care for them.
your children are not suffering with illness because parents cant afford to take their children to the dr. for anti-biotics.. or cant afford to buy paracetamol.
it is an absolute shame that the few will ruin it for the masses..
i can only hope that the scroungers and chancers.. are rounded up and taken off benifits and forced to pay their way.

oldmarine
22-Oct-06, 01:44
Now if she was a basketball player she'd be in demand, right?

Very good chance.

Kingetter
22-Oct-06, 01:57
Very good chance.

Harlem Globetrotters maybe?;)

weeboyagee
23-Oct-06, 23:02
My problem with immigration is that the UK is full,
Garbage - Scotland is NOT full - I drive all over it and see lots of emptiness.

no matter where your from or what colour you are, I would never move to an overpolulated country.....stay this side of the border then!

How are any of these people, even if they secure semi skilled jobs ever ever going to get on the housing ladder the way it is now.
I couldn't ever gat back on it if I found myself off it......so you're problem is sour grapes at not being on the housing ladder or being off after being on it and having to compete with them to get on it this time round?

Also if its a matter of harrasment or abuse in your own country, surely to reach the UK you've already come through several 'safe' countries. NIMBY syndrome - stay in the back yards you come through to get to mine?

Polite comments welcome if i'm wrong!!
See the above.

weeboyagee
23-Oct-06, 23:05
The uk's current housing is just about full, there are lots of big open spaces but surely digging them all up is not the answer, theres loads of wide open spaces all over europe too!!
Yes, yes, yes,.......dig up all the nice big open spaces all over Europe but not here, no, no, no,......not here!

NIMBY.

weeboyagee
23-Oct-06, 23:10
If people of any nationality want to come and live and work in UK that is fine with me. However the subject I thought we were discussing was the foreign nationals who want to come and live in UK but do not want to work. In other words they want to scrounge off the state.

Thoroughly agree with the above - stop exaserbating the problem by stopping the external influences then fix the internal problems.

But careful that we don't throw baby and bathwater out together - we need the skills of those prepared to work and assist our economy same as those native to this country assist the economy at the moment - but those who want to milk the state of the taxes paid by the rest of us should think twice about visiting, staying or continuing in the same way if they already do this!

maverick
24-Oct-06, 00:21
Why is it everytime a british taxpayer or a taxpayer in britian asks the question , why should we be expected to keep foreign nationals in our country at our expence? we are branded as being racist. I have no problem with this woman staying here as long as our government is sending the bill to pakistan for her upkeep... Let pakistan taxpayers pay for her problem solved...

katarina
24-Oct-06, 09:12
Why is it everytime a british taxpayer or a taxpayer in britian asks the question , why should we be expected to keep foreign nationals in our country at our expence? we are branded as being racist. I have no problem with this woman staying here as long as our government is sending the bill to pakistan for her upkeep... Let pakistan taxpayers pay for her problem solved...

Exactly. While I have every sympathy for this woman and others with medical problems for which they can't get treated in their own country, Charity begins at home - or should do. Only when there are no long queues for heart bypasses and other life saving surgery, when all cancer sufferers can get the treatment they need no matter what the cost, when we don't have to go to poland or france for a hip replacement, when wards aren't closing because the government can't afford to pay for more nursing staff, When we have no homeless on the streets or in B & B, then, and only then, should we take in foriegners and give them houses and other freebees. The colour of the skin is irrelevant.

squidge
24-Oct-06, 09:59
There are two issues here i think

Firstly asylum seekers - these are people who are fleeing from somewhere and who are in danger at home. These people have to apply for asylum and their case has to be heard and a decision made. They are entitled to support whilst that decision is made because often they are not ALLOWED to work until a decision about their case is made.

Immigrants - Immigrants cannot come from abroad and claim benefits and get houses in advance of everyone else. They cannot step off a plane and be housed and get Income Support. They have to apply in the same way as everyone else and they have to fulfil the requirements to look for work if they are entitled to benefits. Often they arent - there are rules on residencey to apply and on contributions, I understand that sometimes they can import benefit from their own EU or commonwealth countries. If immigrants apply for a council house they go on the waiting list like everyone else. If they are homeless then they will be subject to the same rules governing you and me. Nothing different and nothing special because they are immigrants. Most immigrants work as the figures for the recent influx of east european migrants show.

This lady is not an immigrant she is an asylum seeker. The paper says she is afraid at home and it for the authorities to make their enquiries and decide whether this is sufficient grounds for her to remain. Until they do it is RIGHT that we should support her whether you or I think she is scrounging or taking hte mickey is immaterial. If we dont support her then we dont support a woman who arrives here from Sudan having been abused raped traumatised and has fled in fear for her life - we cannot say that either is not worth support until the decision is made.

brandy
24-Oct-06, 10:27
amen to that!
was reading the other day.. about the shelters in africa that are actually loosing thier funding now.. where women and children are.
they have been brutally raped and severly injured by their own countrymen..
children as young as 2-3 years old being raped by soldiers.. the lucky ones dont live thru it.
however.. a lot of the women their husbands and families turn them away and they are basically dead to them as they have been touched by another man. and they no longer want them.

people like this have no where to go.. and no chance of survival. its a scary thought. that the majority of us have never and will never have to go thru.
we live in a society where if a woman is raped she is not ostrasied.. but cherished and supported and the rapist is hunted down. how lucky we are!!

on another subject.. when i immigrated here..
we had to fill out all kinds of paperwork.
my husband had to prove he made enough to support both of us. could provide houseing and everything we both needed.
now this was after we were married.
i recived a 1 year marrige visa..
and after that i was allowed to apply for residency.
until i recived my visa was not allowed to work.
but i went out and found a job as soon as i was allowed.. and the only time i have never worked in my life was when i had my babies.
now here i am with a 3 year old a 2 year old and another on the way.. but i can still work a part time job around my hubbys work and take care of my children.
so there is no exscue why a healthy person can not work. there are jobs out there.. you just have to be willing to work. and not to expect to find the best job in the world at first try.

weeboyagee
24-Oct-06, 10:37
Why is it everytime a british taxpayer or a taxpayer in britian asks the question , why should we be expected to keep foreign nationals in our country at our expence? we are branded as being racist.
Am I missing something - where have persons of this opinion been "branded racist" in this thread? I don't mind giving hospitality to those in need of it until they are in a position to do better for themselves and contribute in the same way as we all do. What I DO have an issue with is persons from other countries abusing this hospitality and expecting us to not only respect their way of life but indeed submit to it's absolute acceptance and accommodation no matter what.

Stay here legitimately, contribute legitimately and integrate - but don't demand, take for granted and then try to dominate.

Well said squidge on the post above. The problem with a lot of the opinions that are aired in this thread is the fact that I believe they are made on an uninformed basis. Your points are exactly the basis of my train of thought also (where have you heard that before ;))

Charity begins at home - or should do. Only when there are no long queues for heart bypasses and other life saving surgery, when all cancer sufferers can get the treatment they need no matter what the cost, when we don't have to go to poland or france for a hip replacement, when wards aren't closing because the government can't afford to pay for more nursing staff, When we have no homeless on the streets or in B & B, then, and only then, should we take in foriegners and give them houses and other freebees. The colour of the skin is irrelevant.

I don't have an issue with this katarina :) I think the point being made earlier was the "scrounging" off the state that some foreign nationals do which is covered in squidge's post - but there remains the bigger issue of the "scrounging" off the state that a great number of the native population do - in no small way helping to exaserbate the situations that you have listed in your post. However, we have to have some sort of rational and policy to determine action with immigrants, we simply can't build a wall round the country with a big "NO ACCESS" sign stuck on the entrance gate.

Teabreak rant now over - back to work!

gleeber
24-Oct-06, 11:16
Exactly. While I have every sympathy for this woman and others with medical problems for which they can't get treated in their own country, Charity begins at home - or should do. Only when there are no long queues for heart bypasses and other life saving surgery, when all cancer sufferers can get the treatment they need no matter what the cost, when we don't have to go to poland or france for a hip replacement, when wards aren't closing because the government can't afford to pay for more nursing staff, When we have no homeless on the streets or in B & B, then, and only then, should we take in foriegners and give them houses and other freebees. The colour of the skin is irrelevant.
Theres something honest about that opinion and I would have to agree with it, but, and maybe its the cynic in me, even if we stopped taking people in, there will still be queues for essential services. There will still be casualties living on the streets and people will still be gurning about their lot.
Theres something human about the laws that allow some people in and something inhuman about the ones that keep them out. Its all part of the modern world. Its social history in the making.

Rheghead
24-Oct-06, 16:46
This lady is not an immigrant she is an asylum seeker. The paper says she is afraid at home and it for the authorities to make their enquiries and decide whether this is sufficient grounds for her to remain. Until they do it is RIGHT that we should support her whether you or I think she is scrounging or taking hte mickey is immaterial. If we dont support her then we dont support a woman who arrives here from Sudan having been abused raped traumatised and has fled in fear for her life - we cannot say that either is not worth support until the decision is made.

Definitions of Asylum seeker on the Web:

Under international law, a refugee is a person who is outside his/her country of nationality or habitual residence; has a well-founded fear of persecution because of his/her race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group or political opinion; and is unable or unwilling to avail himself/herself of the protection of that country, or to return there, for fear of persecution.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asylum_seeker

Well I think she is neither. I interpret that physical peculiarities are outwith of the definition of an asylum seeker. Do we have to accept every Tom, dick and harry who happens to have big ears or a big nose etc?

squidge
24-Oct-06, 23:09
She has applied for asylum - she is seeking asylum and so she is an asylum seeker Rheghead - whether she is granted asylum or not for whatever reasons is immaterial. We dont have to accept her but at present until her case is decided upon then she is an asylum seeker. Once she is granted asylum she will be a refugee but she might very well be sent home again because she dosnt meet the criteria. Its not for us to decide based on a newspaper report in the Stockport Advertiser or whatever it was - thank goodness.

Victor Vendetta
25-Oct-06, 00:28
"Is it just me, or does this seem like madness?"

Maybe she's just looking for a roof over her head!!

scotsman
25-Oct-06, 00:33
Come to london! 500,000 poles flood in from eastern europe,i feel like a stranger in the uk doon here!,Thousands of scots on the dole,and were shipping in these asylum seekers by the bucket-load!,why dosent the uk gov give accom/support to scots who could find work down here?,i thought charity began at home. http://www.migrationwatchuk.org cheers scots

David from Stockport
25-Oct-06, 11:39
Well said Scotsman its ok for people who live in an area with next to no migrants to talk about letting all comers come over here and be supported in the main by us , it is a very noble idea to offer sanctury to all the worlds displaced people and im not saying we shouldnt help them but if we accept that we cannot keep allowing such large numbers to come and live here we need to look at helping these people in there own countries . One of the people replying to this tread mentioned the women in places like Dafur in Sudan being raped etc , and whilst this is bad we have to remember both sides are as bad as each other , her husband was probaly out doing the same to some woman from the other side , look at other tribal conflicts accross africa , half the population starving and 10 year olds running around with AK47 s . Look at the former Yugoslavia ethnic cleansing and the like we cannot take everyone we have to help them in there countrys . When we accept people from these countries they dont leave there hatred of the other side in there own country they bring it here with them and as we take all sides it continues here . A Nigerian lad i worked with a couple of years ago had a simple idea for solving Africa s problems - he reckons we dont need to send any charity money just tell Switzerland and other countrys that they could not open bank accounts for African polititians - problem solved .
Definition of charity ; Poor people in rich countries giving to rich people in poor countries.
In England now its stupid to many newcomers not enought housing the roads are gridlocked . I work 6/7 days a week and cannot afford even a studio apartment , becouse of the shortage of housing prices are stupid - lots of so called 1st time buyer homes are bought by buy to let landlords and rented out to DSS - so unless you earn about £ 35,000 you have no chance of even a flat. If you work your stuffed if you are supported by the state your fine - wheres the incentive to work?

To finish ive worked with lots of so called minorities and heres a quick observation ; the Africans hated the West Indians and visa versa , the Africans dont like those from other African countries Pakistanies and Indians are brought up to hate each other and the only thing they agree on is they both hate Bangladeshi s - Indians that come from Africa (uganda etc) think of themselves as a cut above the ones from India . Also what is the caste system if not racist? I work with asian girls who are not allowed to mix outside work becouse there parents dont want them mixing with white boys outside of work / collage , so much for intergration !!! ,
Oh well !!

squidge
25-Oct-06, 12:26
Well said Scotsman its ok for people who live in an area with next to no migrants to talk about letting all comers come over here and be supported in the main by us !!

I tried - i really did but I cant let it go folks - sorry and all that. At the risk of repeating myself migrants into the UK from the accession countries are mainly in work, single and dont claim benefits. In fact of the 427,000 people coming in from the accession countries only about 700 were claiming "social security". This means David that they are largely supporting themselves and are not being supported "in the main by us". Unemployment is still low - when the work dries up these workers will move on - thats what happens and thats supported by the information on your migration watch site scotsman

In addition Britain takes around 3% of refugees or asylum seekers. That figure is from your http://www.migrationwatchuk.org (http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/) scotsman

In England now its stupid to many newcomers not enought housing the roads are gridlocked . I work 6/7 days a week and cannot afford even a studio apartment , becouse of the shortage of housing prices are stupid - lots of so called 1st time buyer homes are bought by buy to let landlords and rented out to DSS - so unless you earn about £ 35,000 you have no chance of even a flat. If you work your stuffed if you are supported by the state your fine - wheres the incentive to work?!!

The lack of investment in social housing is the main reason why people cant find somewhere to live. Poor incentives to build affordable housing - the right to buy without the investment to replace social housing didnt help. Migrant workers are not buying houses - they dont generally earn the £35 000 required you say to get on the housing ladder.

To finish ive worked with lots of so called minorities and heres a quick observation ; the Africans hated the West Indians and visa versa , the Africans dont like those from other African countries Pakistanies and Indians are brought up to hate each other and the only thing they agree on is they both hate Bangladeshi s - Indians that come from Africa (uganda etc) think of themselves as a cut above the ones from India . Also what is the caste system if not racist? I work with asian girls who are not allowed to mix outside work becouse there parents dont want them mixing with white boys outside of work / collage , so much for intergration !!! ,
Oh well !!

Here's my quick observation - Scots hate the english,Wickers dont like those people who come from Thurso, Celtic supporters dont like rangers supporters, No one likes the poles, English dont like the indians the pakistanis and the bangladeshis and no one likes the poles. Adults hate teenagers and are scared of them and dog wardens came in for a right bashing.... and thats just on this board!!!

People are people - there is lots of cross cultural activity goes on and lots of nastiness in all sorts of communities. If you look for the seperations then you will see seperation - if you look for the integration then you will see the integration. In truth these things take time to change - they will change and indeed have changed over the last thirty years.

Alice in Blunderland
25-Oct-06, 14:25
Squidge I couldnt agree more on your comments in the previous posts.

DrSzin
25-Oct-06, 14:41
I like the Poles! I've worked with lots of Poles over the last year or so, and they've all been nice people - in addition to being hard workers.

squidge
25-Oct-06, 14:50
Exactly Drszin

We can all make sweeping generalisations about any group of people but not all people think the same way so as you like poles then maybe some africans like some west indians and so on and so on and so on

scotsman
25-Oct-06, 14:52
I live in a block of 25 flats on a housing estate in london,ive been here 6 years,i only know 3 of my neighbours(one black)one irish,one from the sudan.The rest are all asylum seekers on benefit,working on the side too most of them.The turks across the landing from me are a complete pest,always fighting with there son(police called 30 times in 4 years!,and practically all the asylum seekers in london sway only towards there own communities(creating communities within the host community!.And you wonder why all the terrorists go undetected in the uk?.Asylum seekers dont intergrate,muslims dont either(it says in the koran,"take not jews nor christains as thy friends".So much for your open door policy on asylum squidge!Vast majority of crime/drugs/prostitution in london is run by asylum seeker gangs.And most asylum seekers in london,through there large extended family ties!..claim benefits whilst working on the side.Romanian beggars(women and children caused huge uproar on londons underground 4 years ago by there begging antics,masterminded by asylum seeker gangs.500,000 POLES IN UK,you aint seen nothing yet till the bulgarian drug gangs,and the begging romanians hit our shores on the first of jan 2007.Your lucky living in scotland where the asylum issue isnt really a problem...yet.(fair amount of poles getting done for drunken driving!culturally acceptable in poland.I live in london,i know whats going on,poles queing up outside homebase each morning,looking for a days work,being paid half the going rate by sub contractors!.My mates a plasterer,he normally gets £130 per day in london,the poles work for 40 quid!! and we aint got an asylum problem! waken up cheers scots

squidge
25-Oct-06, 15:14
I didnt say we dont have an asylum problem.

The problem is not with offering asylum , nor is it with migrant workers - it is with the management of these issue. We dont remove those people not granted asylum, we dont deal with illegal immigrants, we dont clamp down on benefit fraud - any benefit fraud by anybody - Benefit fraud isnt a crime confined to asylum seekers. We shove people with all sorts of problems to live alltogether in one area in often poor standards of accommodation and we gfive them vouchers. We create an envoronment where crime is able to flourish and where desperate people suspicious of officials are prey to all sorts of goings on. we allow feelings of isolation and disaffection to grow and develop. These are the issues that need to be tackled.

Interestingly twenty years ago whilst staying on one of the worst housing schemes in Manchester I could have pretty much rattled off the same list of problems that you did living on your block of flats. The cause of many of the problems thereabouts was deprivation not immigration or asylum seekers but it seems we never learn

jaykay
25-Oct-06, 15:30
I live in a block of 25 flats on a housing estate in london,ive been here 6 years,i only know 3 of my neighbours(one black)one irish,one from the sudan.The rest are all asylum seekers on benefit,working on the side too most of them.The turks across the landing from me are a complete pest,always fighting with there son(police called 30 times in 4 years!,and practically all the asylum seekers in london sway only towards there own communities(creating communities within the host community!.And you wonder why all the terrorists go undetected in the uk?.Asylum seekers dont intergrate,muslims dont either(it says in the koran,"take not jews nor christains as thy friends".So much for your open door policy on asylum squidge!Vast majority of crime/drugs/prostitution in london is run by asylum seeker gangs.And most asylum seekers in london,through there large extended family ties!..claim benefits whilst working on the side.Romanian beggars(women and children caused huge uproar on londons underground 4 years ago by there begging antics,masterminded by asylum seeker gangs.500,000 POLES IN UK,you aint seen nothing yet till the bulgarian drug gangs,and the begging romanians hit our shores on the first of jan 2007.Your lucky living in scotland where the asylum issue isnt really a problem...yet.(fair amount of poles getting done for drunken driving!culturally acceptable in poland.I live in london,i know whats going on,poles queing up outside homebase each morning,looking for a days work,being paid half the going rate by sub contractors!.My mates a plasterer,he normally gets £130 per day in london,the poles work for 40 quid!! and we aint got an asylum problem! waken up cheers scots

It seems like the Government may have wised up a bit and are going to limit the number of Bulgarians and Romanians they are going to allow into the UK. This should help as it looks like it will be mainly skilled people that will be allowed in. However no doubt there will be the odd loophole that can be exploited by the scroungers!!

scotsman
25-Oct-06, 15:39
There is little or no management of asylum seekers in london,in fact,in most housing social work depts in london,they are staffed with ex-asylum seekers,who cant do there job properly!.Corruption and graft are endemic in londons housing depts(courtesy of dodgy nigerians and the like!!.Asylum seekers in london,claim all benefits,work on the black market,and send there money home.Im poor,yet i dont con the system,you really need to see the scams and culturally accepted crime that is perpetrated in london by these so called asylum seekers in london squidge!.Ripping of the brit taxpayer at the drop of a hat.Deprivation is also prevalent in londons dwindling white communities,asylum seekers aint as poor as you think,most have family connections with buisnesses in uk.Bulgarian drugs gangs are ruthless,all underworld hitman killings in europe and beyond are carried out by these gangs!...and were going to open our doors to them!!!...asylum is another name for legalized economic migrants,we need to help our own unemployed first! cheers scots

Rheghead
25-Oct-06, 17:15
She has applied for asylum - she is seeking asylum and so she is an asylum seeker Rheghead - whether she is granted asylum or not for whatever reasons is immaterial. We dont have to accept her but at present until her case is decided upon then she is an asylum seeker. Once she is granted asylum she will be a refugee but she might very well be sent home again because she dosnt meet the criteria. Its not for us to decide based on a newspaper report in the Stockport Advertiser or whatever it was - thank goodness.

Wrong. She isn't seeking asylum she is claiming asylum seeker's benefits, much in the same way as a benefit fraudster can claim disability allowance and it doesn't make them disabled.

squidge
26-Oct-06, 09:48
Im not wrong rheghead unless you have other information that im not privvy to. The article says

Miss Bibi arrived in Britain earlier this year and spent 15 days handing out ice cream samples for American firm Baskin-Robbins and lodged her claim for asylum in June. She currently pays no rent or council tax and receives £40 a week in benefits.

and says
while she awaits her asylum hearing

She is seeking asylum and the article states that she is awaiting a decision. If the decision is granted then she becomes a refugee and if its not she becomes a failed asylum seeker.

During the period of her application she has to be treated as a refugee and she is entitled to benefits. Its much the same as if you claim Jobseekers Allowance but have walked out of your job - you still get benefits whilst a decision is made. The alternative is not to pay anyone until a decision is made and that would just create more hardship for many already traumatised people

Rheghead
26-Oct-06, 15:01
Its much the same as if you claim Jobseekers Allowance but have walked out of your job

I was always led to believe that if you walked out on a job then you aren't entitled to job seekers allowance.

squidge
26-Oct-06, 16:37
Lots of people make that incorrect assumption rheghead but it is wrong.
A decision has to be made and whilst that decision is made you will be paid jobseekers allowance. Its not made by the people who deal with a new claim uit goes to independant adjudcators for a decision. They often decide to allow a claim even though someone has left their job voluntarily or through misconduct. It depends on the evidence they get fromt he person making the claim and the employer. You should always make a claim and see what the decision is.