PDA

View Full Version : New Wick Cafe

Fran
05-Dec-04, 04:46
:D Nice to see that the old <Elizabeths> cafe in Wicks Bridge Street has re opened and is as busy as ever. Heres to more closed shops reopening. ;)

Mr P Cannop
05-Dec-04, 11:17
:D Nice to see that the old <Elizabeths> cafe in Wicks Bridge Street has re opened and is as busy as ever. Heres to more closed shops reopening. ;)

who running the shop ??

wickchick
05-Dec-04, 11:29
Mcneils from wick who used to have the tatxis 20/20

Mr P Cannop
05-Dec-04, 12:17
i know who your on about

The Godfather
05-Dec-04, 13:10
Lets hope theres no cockroaches this time. :eek:

johndy
05-Dec-04, 13:17
i know who your on about
Thats you auntie & uncle paul!

linzy222
05-Dec-04, 17:29
I was there the other night and got the kids chips and cheese, it cost £6 for 3 and they got about 10 chips, i won't go there again!!

Sandra's in Thurso is better u get double the amount and its half the price!!

Mr P Cannop
05-Dec-04, 19:54
i know who your on about
Thats you auntie & uncle paul!

thats right

Fifi
06-Dec-04, 15:38
Linzy,

Why didn't you complain to the cafe at the time instead of just slagging them off here? If they are new to this kind of venture then maybe they would welcome some feedback from the customers - give them a chance!

linzy222
06-Dec-04, 21:40
I never slagged them off, i just gave my opinion which is true and this is what the topics are for

I drove home to castletown before the kids ate it and i wasn't going back to wick just to complain about the little bit they got!!

Mr P Cannop
07-Dec-04, 07:54
give them a chance they have only started up their business it all takes time

The Angel Of Death
07-Dec-04, 10:23
give them a chance they have only started up their business it all takes time

True it does take time but for a new business you would like to think they would excell themselves better to start with and make a name for themselves most local business's start out pretty good and then go downhill rapidly !!!

Take the harbour chipshop on the occasions i have been there its always been packed to the door and the portions are always more than enough

Havent been to the new one yet but i will be giving it a try shortly to see if its any good or not

Could just have been the last of the chips before they shut ???

girnigoe
14-Dec-04, 00:01
I was there last night and I was most satisfied. The chips were absolutely out of this world and the place was really CLEAN!!! The owners were very friendly and the service was spot on.

The only tiny thing against was maybe the portions were a bit small.

I will be back though!

Mr P Cannop
14-Dec-04, 00:05
where about in wick is this cafe ??

girnigoe
14-Dec-04, 00:12
Its on Bridge Street across from the Bank of Scotland

Mr P Cannop
14-Dec-04, 00:18
ok thanks

friendlymel
31-Dec-04, 09:54
i liked elizabeths and went there regulary, and i really enjoyed it the meals were lovely and esp there pork they did, i know who has taken over now and i yet havent been in but they should know a good portion is what we want they do and did complain if it was a small portion and not worth the money so hey comon and give us a fair share a descent portion and if its to work they should keep this in mind does anyone remember the van they had doing the kebabs now they were nice and yes we got plenty so why should there cafe be diffrent after all we only want our moneys worth then the word will get around so happy portions i say

2little2late
31-Dec-04, 23:35
If there were punctuation marks in this posting I might be able to understand it.

gravedigga
01-Jan-05, 00:59
i'm the same :confused

liza
01-Jan-05, 23:32
Chips are so cheap to buy wholesale there's no excuse for not selling a generous portion. A few extra chips would never break the bank of any decent cafe/takeaway and the customers would keep coming back. If they are new to the catering business - they'll learn.

Zael
02-Jan-05, 18:01
The chips I had there were great, cut from potatoes and not the pre-cut-frozen variety like the muck you get from the harbour chippy. I like the fact that yes their portions may not be as big as some others but you can at least eat all of it and not have to fling most of it in the bin. Will definately be back. Favorites so far are fish, chicken nuggets and the chips, coleslaw is good and the shop is immaculate.

tip top
03-Jan-05, 11:44
If there were punctuation marks in this posting I might be able to understand it.

i'm the same

Is the above really contributing to the thread?

Pompous gits

Oops forgot to put a fullstop at the end of my sentence.

Should that be full-stop or full stop!!!

Drutt
03-Jan-05, 12:44
Pompous gits

Tip top, if it was only a missed full stop or couple of misspellings, the post would still be readable. In its current form, it's not.

Singapore's and gravedigga's point is that posts with no capitalisation, apostrophes, punctuation of any other form or use of paragraphs makes the post near impossible to read. :eek:

Now I know that it's not a job application, but that doesn't mean it's okay to abandon sentences altogether.

What I find arrogant is the presumption that we should spend 5 minutes deciphering an illegible post like this.

You managed to construct a nicely readable post yourself, why is it pompous to ask others to do the same? :confused

daviddd
03-Jan-05, 13:42
Sound like this cafe is just another glorified chippie, no doubt adding to the unhealthiness of the people of Scotland - greasy chips and chicken nuggets - yeuch!! :eyes [disgust] Gimme some fresh fat-free food anytime! :p :p

And people - lay off on the lack of punctuation etc., what does it matter as long as people express themselves honestly? :)

bacardibabe
03-Jan-05, 15:28
i had scampi supper the other night,chips were ace could hev done wi more scampi,8 pieces i got.thought i read somewhere the legal portion is 10 pieces.

wings
04-Jan-05, 15:58
In the name of god! :confused

I know this site is for posting opinions etc but come on.... !! These people have just started up this cafe,Likely they will have internet access.. and to come on here and read all this garbage i'm sure would be disheartening! As noted earlier if the portions received were on the small side then highlight this to the owners. What is the point moping on about it in here! Ach but that's folk up here for you! Nothing better to do!!

They are new to it and i'm sure will come on in time! Of course given half the chance!!!

[mad] [mad] [mad]

captain chaos
04-Jan-05, 16:33
i had scampi supper the other night,chips were ace could hev done wi more scampi,8 pieces i got.thought i read somewhere the legal portion is 10 pieces.

Legal portions !!!!! [lol] [lol] [lol] What next ...counting the chips and weighing the salt and vinegar.

Jeeeeez I am with Wings on this ,a complaint is one thing but a whinge is just a whinge

The Godfather
04-Jan-05, 20:51
cut from potatoes and not the pre-cut-frozen variety like the muck you get from the harbour chippy.

The side door of the harbour chippy was open one day when I was walking past and there must have been about 200 sacks of potatoes sitting on pallates in there.
Mabey you mean the harbour cafe?

2little2late
04-Jan-05, 23:38
Pompous gits

Tip top, if it was only a missed full stop or couple of misspellings, the post would still be readable. In its current form, it's not.

Singapore's and gravedigga's point is that posts with no capitalisation, apostrophes, punctuation of any other form or use of paragraphs makes the post near impossible to read. :eek:

Now I know that it's not a job application, but that doesn't mean it's okay to abandon sentences altogether.

What I find arrogant is the presumption that we should spend 5 minutes deciphering an illegible post like this.

You managed to construct a nicely readable post yourself, why is it pompous to ask others to do the same? :confused

Alliwastryingtosayisthattryingtoreadasentenceorpar agraphwithoutspeechmarksisverydifficulttoread. Isn't it?

tip top
05-Jan-05, 10:44
Alliwastryingtosayisthattryingtoreadasentenceorpar agraphwithoutspeechmarksisverydifficulttoread. Isn't it?

What I was trying to say is that everyone is entitled to post an opinion without being mocked about literacy.

As for the above, I stand by my original comment!

Zael
05-Jan-05, 15:23
Well Godfather, if they are actually using potatoes and not pre cut chips then that to me makes it even worse. Their chips tasted like mediocre pre-cut chips at best so if they're made fresh from potatoes then there is something far wrong with some part fo the process.

At least the chips from bridge street look and taste as you would expect deep fried chipped potatoes to.

====================

tiptop, singapore & drutt, none of you are contributing to the thread by arguing about each others non-contribution, see the link that looks like this under every post:

http://www.caithness.org/phpBB/templates/subSilver/images/lang_english/icon_pm.gif

why not use that instead.

2little2late
05-Jan-05, 17:19
The only time you people are ever happy is when you are knocking someone . For pity's sake give them a chance, they are providing a service to the public and this is how you repay them. If the service isn't up to standard you wish for, then mention it to the appropriate person(s). I'm quite sure they would be happier to be approached in person rather than people leaving bad comments on this message board. I'ts really not good for business.

Anyone who tries a new venture has my full support.
Remember this. It takes a long time to gain a good reputation and only a couple of minutes to lose it.

They can only help you if you help them, so stop critcising them on this message board. If you are not totally happy speak to them, otherwise how are they going to know where they can improve the service?

katarina
05-Jan-05, 21:22
How do they compare with Henrietta's and Houstons? I notice they are not mentioned.

Zael
06-Jan-05, 09:18
Henriettas is a great chipper, they just have really bad opening times, if you like to eat late or get stuck out later than usual. The service is dreadful if you go around mealtimes, but it is usually worth the wait (if you have time) They dont seem to cook enough of what people want to eat, so there is a whole shop full of people waiting for stuff to cook, chips are always good though. (dont go on a monday, seems to be burnt offering night)

Houstons to me is a bit hit or miss, sometimes brill, sometimes rubbish. Again, opening times always gets me, but thats just me, plenty people swear by it.

From the people I know, these 2 seem to be the most popular but depend a great deal on what staff they have on, you know what i mean, one day its all smiles and another they could have just scraped you off the bottom of their shoe.

AR
06-Jan-05, 14:40
Zael, i think that could said of any takeaway, different staff appear to have a huge diffrence on food, i do find the same with henriettas, esp. on a moday.But always appears to be excellent on a thursday.
When john houston was still in houstons i could never find fault with anything, not quite the same now though.

daviddd
06-Jan-05, 22:46

What I was trying to say is that everyone is entitled to post an opinion without being mocked about literacy.

As for the above, I stand by my original comment!I agree tiptop :eek:

Mr P Cannop
06-Jan-05, 23:12
i will be going there on saturday for my tea and a cake

skydivvy
07-Jan-05, 14:19
Henriettas is a great chipper, they just have really bad opening times, if you like to eat late or get stuck out later than usual. The service is dreadful if you go around mealtimes, but it is usually worth the wait (if you have time) They dont seem to cook enough of what people want to eat, so there is a whole shop full of people waiting for stuff to cook, chips are always good though. (dont go on a monday, seems to be burnt offering night)

From the people I know, these 2 seem to be the most popular but depend a great deal on what staff they have on, you know what i mean, one day its all smiles and another they could have just scraped you off the bottom of their shoe.

[mad]

well Zeal my opinion on Henrietta's chip shop has always been very hig, the staff are always delightful maybe you got them on a bad night!
Monday night is our chippy night and we have always had a good meal and as its not so busy you dont have to wait so long to get served. :D

Mr Ben
07-Jan-05, 14:57
Have to say that Henriettas is a no go area on Monday, Rose seems to cook for the rest of the time and it's always great. I used hate going on Mondays but I'm lazy and it was easy, now I go to the harbour on Mondays and other days when Henriettas is too busy.

Haven't tried the new one yet but I'll pop in for a test run next week.

skydivvy
07-Jan-05, 16:36
[quote="Mr Ben"]Have to say that Henriettas is a no go area on Monday,

Monday night is training night for the new girls I believe, but the only complaint I had was when they got the orders mixed up - but then they're young and have to learn. Alway found the cooking all right. But I guess after thirty years experience - Rose is bound to be the greatest!

spiggie
08-Jan-05, 16:06
:(
I sometimes cook in henriettas on a Monday night and i am rather offended that nobody has said it to me face to face, i would rather know if there was a problem with my cooking so then i would know how to try and make it better. Doesnt anybody like my cooking...? :~(

Mr Ben
08-Jan-05, 17:14
Well it's not worth the trouble to return to the shop once you've gone home to eat your chips. I'll try and give fair comment here so that you see if any of it seems likely.

Chips are generally fine, maybe slighty over or undone on the odd occasion but not so bad that I'd complain. One thing I have noticed is that when the chips are nearly finished it is always better if you get a fresh batch added and mixed in. If you serve the last of a batch to 1 person then they get all the old and drier chips.

Sausages - these seem to vary from Undercooked to nearly desiccated, sometimes they are only half covered with batter. I know that they dry out over time and that they are always nicer when they are fresh but with some of the ones that I've been served you can see that they are burnt and dried out.

I tend to have sausages most of the time so I haven't sampled all of the other things but the same thing applies to the king ribs and puddings that I've had. Sometimes they are fine but other times they don't look great and they certainly don't taste nice.

The younger cook seems to be improving all the time but the older lady seems to always be very stressed and confused, I don't think that helps her cooking. I'm sure that everything would be perfect with a little more guidance from Rose (who as someone pointed out has been doing it a long time, not 30 years surely, more like 20)

Certainly for the youger cook but I'm not sure if the older lady is cut out for the job.

Rheghead
08-Jan-05, 20:25
BTW Who is the best chipper in Wick?

spiggie
08-Jan-05, 22:56
[quote="Mr Ben"]Well it's not worth the trouble to return to the shop once you've gone home to eat your chips. I'll try and give fair comment here so that you see if any of it seems likely.

you mean you Always get excelent food from other chippies? And no offence, but if you eat several times a week from chippies - boy would I not like to see the state of your arteries!
(mind you, the macaroni cheese is good! And the colslaw is seldom burnt!)

Mr Ben
09-Jan-05, 00:10
Nope I didn't say that I Always get excellent food from other chippies. I said that Henriettas was great everyday apart from Monday or days when Rose isn't cooking.

Harbour has been great so far, Not tried the newly taken over one yet and Houstons isn't as good as it used to be, these days it see,s to lack flavour and the mince and onion pies aren't as good :~(

Arteries should be fine chloesterol is low and heart input and output tests score high, looks like I'm just one of those lucky people.

Not tried the Macaroni yet but I'll give it a try the next time I'm in.

friendlymel
09-Jan-05, 08:52
ok we are not all office workers.
we come on here to put our views and comments in, not to be told about the set up or our messages spellings etc.
iI suppose you have degree s and cerificates for this do you?
I dont mean to sound nasty but stop critising other peoples posting and if you dont like it then dont comment were not here to be jugdged about what we have done,
what we havent done
or if a posting is correct or not, we are merly just posting to whatever we want to

girnigoe
10-Jan-05, 00:49
I have to say I find Henriettas to be the best chippy in town - although I do agree with some of the things said on here!

First thing is the sausages. I have had them undercooked on numerous occassions (and yes I have gone back - not all the time, I dont want to be an awkward customer) but when they are burnt they are delicious!!

Rose certainly seem to be at the heart of the place and we always say we dread to think what will happen if she ever leaves!!??

The chips are on the whole delicious. Sometimes they can be greasy but most of the time they are dry. Why is this?? Has it something to do with the potatoes or the length of frying? I have also noticed this past few weeks the chips are thinner which seems to make them more greasy.

I also think they need to have more things ready and more chips on all the time. The catchphrase seems to be "waiting for chips" which is really annoying. I have seen me waiting for 45 minutes on a Friday night (worth the wait) as some of the young ones have a habit of forgetting on your order. Maybe a pen and note pad may help as sometimes the orders are large and they have to ask a few times until they get it right.

Spiggie - Please dont take offence as I am sure most of these things happen in other chip shops and on the whole you are doing marvellous!! :Razz

katarina
10-Jan-05, 15:51
I also think they need to have more things ready and more chips on all the time. The catchphrase seems to be "waiting for chips" which is really annoying. I have seen me waiting for 45 minutes on a Friday night (worth the wait) as some of the young ones have a habit of forgetting on your order. Maybe a pen and note pad may help as sometimes the orders are large and they have to ask a few times until they get it right.

Spiggie - Please dont take offence as I am sure most of these things happen in other chip shops and on the whole you are doing marvellous!! :Razz[/quote]

In defence of henrietta's. They only have two pans for chips and they can only put so many on at a time. The hot box is full to the gunnels to begin with on a friday night with the most popular dishes. They can't cook any faster!

girnigoe
10-Jan-05, 20:13
Katarina - Not always! And whats really annoying is when they ask you for your order and then go on to serve someone else as what you are wanting is not ready and by the time they come back to you they have run out of chips or something else!!

But as I already said Im not totally singling out Henriettas as most chippies are probably guilty of this its just I use this one more often!! :roll:

skydivvy
10-Jan-05, 22:42
u cant keep all of the people happy all of the time.

its only young girls behind the counter, perhaps you could try putting yourself in their shoes?

Im sure its not easy to remember everybodys order...?

:o)

katarina
11-Jan-05, 12:27
It can't be easy when you're as busy as they are, but I'm sure your comments are very welcome, Girnigoe.

wickerlass
25-Jan-05, 18:36
Just to say that the harbour chip shop use tatties to make there chips they'ren ot foozen but fresh everyday!
Was actually int here today for chips at lunch time and nice to see that the standard has never dropped