PDA

View Full Version : Go Greek for a Week Ch 4 Now

Kodiak
07-Nov-11, 21:12
Anyone else watching "Go Greek for a Week" on Ch 4. It is an eye opener. Like Civil Servants whose Pension does not stop being paid even after they die, goes to next of Kin. And a Hairdresser who can retire at age 54 with 90% of wages.

ducati
07-Nov-11, 21:16
Anyone else watchinh "Go Greek for a Week" on Ch 4. It is an eye opener. Like Civil Servants whose Pension does not stop being paid even after they die, goes to next of Kin. And a Hairdresser who can retire at age 54 with 90% of wages.

Sounds great, is there a down side?:eek:

Kenn
07-Nov-11, 23:57
Watched it too but did n't learn anything new as have been discusing the matter for some years with a greek friend.
Corruption is endemic in the society and most greeks pays taxes like hens part with their teeth!
The down side ducati is that what workers are left are having their taxes hoisted, pension rights reduced, Vat, prices etc going up on almost a daily basis.

mi16
08-Nov-11, 00:01
did the sarcasm pass you by Lizz?

golach
08-Nov-11, 00:09
Lizz's greek pal is a mutual pal of mine also, we have heard the Greek problems from him for many years now.

Phill
08-Nov-11, 01:20
Endemic is putting it mildly.
My last run in with the Greeks was a financially spectacular affair without any paperwork whatsoever. The only upside was they couldn't go legal without the evidence: i.e. paperwork supporting their claim.
So 'good' is there 'system' of governance is that it runs all the way to Brussels.

Gronnuck
08-Nov-11, 10:37
If anything this shows that Greece was welcomed into the EU Economic and Monetary Union in 2000 with the minimum of scrutiny. The European Council obviously ignored the membership criteria while they boosted the membership of their ‘gang’. If this is the way the European Council does business we have a lot to be worried about.
I can’t believe the Greeks themselves were not aware that their administration was creating an economic bubble that would burst and cause a major economic crash.
My sympathies lie with those countries and their taxpayers who are now paying for the Greeks profligacy.

Corrie 3
08-Nov-11, 10:49
If anything this shows that Greece was welcomed into the EU Economic and Monetary Union in 2000 with the minimum of scrutiny. The European Council obviously ignored the membership criteria while they boosted the membership of their ‘gang’. If this is the way the European Council does business we have a lot to be worried about.
I can’t believe the Greeks themselves were not aware that their administration was creating an economic bubble that would burst and cause a major economic crash.
My sympathies lie with those countries and their taxpayers who are now paying for the Greeks profligacy.
A bit like our own benefit scroungers eh Gronnuck?

C3...........:roll:;)

Gronnuck
08-Nov-11, 11:47
A bit like our own benefit scroungers eh Gronnuck?

C3...........:roll:;)

Well the bald truth is once someone becomes elligible for one benefit they qualify for a myriad of other benefits too which becomes very costly. By the time they have the full spectrum of benefits they realise they would need a substantial wage to induce them to go back to work. Clearly we can't go on like this.

theone
08-Nov-11, 12:03
You used to get 350 Greek Drachmaes to the pound.
200 Spanish pesetas.
2500 Italian Lira.
250 Portugese Escudos.

There's no coincidence that these high exchange rates match those of countries now at risk financial ruin.

The Governments, historically, couldn't control inflation. Financial mismanagement.

The reason I never wanted into the Euro was that it takes control of our own currency out of our own hands and into that of these countries that can't control their spending. The only way a single currency can succeed is if it is controlled by a single government, or at least within rules set by a single government.

The Greeks are used to these ridiculous levels of public spending. Now there's riots because it has to be cut back. Democracy has failed these people.

Gronnuck
08-Nov-11, 14:14
The only way a single currency can succeed is if it is controlled by a single government, or at least within rules set by a single government.

There-in lies the problem. The EU's solution is to push for fiscal union to gain that sort of control. I fear that if it happens we will all be the poorer for it.

oldmarine
09-Nov-11, 19:11
ducati: There always has to be a downside to these kind of deals. :roll:

Kenn
09-Nov-11, 19:20
Those countries that loaned money and bought politicians in Greece in order to advance their own economies are now finding the chickens coming home to roost.
A certain country that plundered gold reserves and has never made restitution could solve the problem but don't think they will have the nerve to admit that to their electorate or to honour their debts which would be an admission of their guilt.

oldmarine
09-Nov-11, 22:29
Those countries that loaned money and bought politicians in Greece in order to advance their own economies are now finding the chickens coming home to roost.
A certain country that plundered gold reserves and has never made restitution could solve the problem but don't think they will have the nerve to admit that to their electorate or to honour their debts which would be an admission of their guilt.
LIZZ: I believe that could apply to the USA with their enormous debt. Our politicians should be learning, but I doubt they believe they were wrong.