PDA

View Full Version : Best treatment for head lice?

Kathy@watten
06-Nov-11, 22:00
Ok we have become monkeys here, the nit comb is in active use and louse treatment applied...what has proven to kill em and not your hair and scalp? Will keep up the combing to help but don't want to have this familly issue forever!!

unicorn
06-Nov-11, 22:06
not sure about treatments available but I used to use the conditioner and combing method a lot as my daughter had long hair and then tea tree shampoo as a preventative, which definately helped.

starfish
06-Nov-11, 22:07
was told last christmas after the grandchildren give us head lice for christmas day that tea tree and lavender oil in a spray bottle with water applied every day when brushin their hairs keeps them a bay touch wood not had the problem again but was not fun all sitting scratching over the christmas dinner

Far North Soap
06-Nov-11, 23:52
can do you a tea tree & lavender shampoo :)

dragonfly
07-Nov-11, 00:15
mine only came home with them once but Full Marks got rid of them with ease, had to comb out too

Kodiak
07-Nov-11, 01:49
I have been advised that Hedrin is an excellent treatment for Head Lice. It is a Liquid Gel and your spary it on and after 15 minuts, job done.

http://www.hedrin.co.uk/head_lice_FAQs.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=2010_Info

Also Lyclear is good too.

http://www.headliceadvice.net/

Dadie
07-Nov-11, 09:17
Scalp them!

I think I may have a bottle of hedrin or full marks if you need a treatment before school.

Have you got a nitty gritty nit comb?

I know they are expensive at £10 but they make short work at going through thick hair!
Mine needs replaced as it took a swim in the loo, but, they are supposed to live forever!

Dadie
07-Nov-11, 13:29
Just back from Thurso, the co-op chemist is the only chemist to have the nitty gritty combs in, but they can do them on prescription which is handy to know!

Koi
07-Nov-11, 13:53
Having a great nit comb and combing out will get rid of them. The more you use the treatments the more the s adapt and become immune to it. After using conditioner just comb them out. Most treatments only kill the lice not the eggs so if you don't want a re-occuring problem you have to comb them out. stick any live lice you get out down by sellotape and always comb over white paper.
My mum combed our hair. Took ages but was highly effective. My sister had them a few times and everyone had to sit and have their hair combed making sure they were all caught. I've heard many a tale about how they only like clean hair or how they only like greasy hair. They never did really like mine but loved my sisters. I have thick curly hair my sisters is straight. they say you will find them at the back of the neck but when my sister passed me a couple my mum found it at the front where i used to have bad dandruff. Had a couple and they were all there.
Have to say i'm not looking forward to my children bringing them home!

Kevin Milkins
07-Nov-11, 19:36
I have no advice or knowledge how to treat nits, but I bet that I'm not the only one scratching there head now.lol

Kathy@watten
07-Nov-11, 20:42
Now Kevin...that is unfair, we could pop round and infest you too? Am still combing like mad here....still getting the little eggs but no grown ups tonight!

Dadie
07-Nov-11, 21:02
We have still avoided them!
The only thing I got out of Laurens hair, I wasnt sure what it was, so bunged it under the microscope for a good look at it........It was sand or dirt.. sort of square edged...not rounded like an egg and didnt have legs!

adi1
07-Nov-11, 23:39
Many years ago we had the same problem my daughter would come home from school with head lice.We bought all the treatments on the market regularly combed her hair with nit comb and nothing seemed to work.We would either miss the odd egg or she was getting re-infested at school, out of desperation I looked on the net for a alternative treatment and came across a natural oil called NEEM OIL. I mixed it with a "carrier" think it was coconut oil and also a drop of tea tree oil and lavender oil because the neem oil has a strange smell to it, Well just to say it worked wonders for the first time in months she was lice free and they never came back. I know it sounds too good to be true but it did work with regularly combing.

Dadie
07-Nov-11, 23:53
Its a pity we couldnt frontline the kids as well as the cat and dog!
That way we would know they wouldnt have any beasties for 3 months or so at a time:lol:
Once a term they could be lined up and sorted, job done!
Instead the schools just hand out a cover all news letter telling you to check the heads...no mention that the beasts are on the go...they cant even tell you that its your child that has them!.....or say if its the kid your child sits next to thats crawling!

George Brims
08-Nov-11, 02:40
Its a pity we couldnt frontline the kids as well as the cat and dog!
LOL that would be a great thing! I could have used that in my youth as I got a deer tick in my knee camping, and didn't notice until I hit my knee on something and broke off it's rear half, leaving the rest in my skin. I thought I had quarried it all out, but over the years a nasty big bump came up and I had to have that surgically removed.

Bazeye
08-Nov-11, 13:51
Just back from Thurso, the co-op chemist is the only chemist to have the nitty gritty combs in, but they can do them on prescription which is handy to know!

Not if you live in England its not. probably cheaper just buying one.

Dadie
08-Nov-11, 19:37
The nitty gritty comb is £10 to buy, but, on the minor ailments scheme where the chemist can issue a prescription its free for kids.
Think that kids get free prescriptions in England too!

oldmarine
09-Nov-11, 22:25
Some interesting comments on this thread about head lice. Sure happy I never experienced it from what I've read on here.

Dadie
09-Nov-11, 22:49
Its one of the rights of passage into adulthood!
Every child must have nits and the sore scalp/dodgy crew cut/bad smelling chemicals poured on their heads at some point before they leave primary school!
No matter how posh the school...
I wish the nit nurse was still allowed to check kids at school...but the walk of shame with the note home isnt allowed any more!