PDA

View Full Version : Help! Lost Dog! UPDATE Cassie now found

Pages : [1] 2

Cassie the dog
06-Nov-11, 20:01
UPDATE tues 11:20am
Cassie was seen on the main road at Ackergill about 10:15am. If she makes her way into Wick it is possible she might find our house in Tolbooth Lane as she has stayed here a couple of times before. She is obviously tired and hungry now.
Any news is welcome. Thankyou.

UPDATE I thought I had managed to post an update last night. Cassie is still footloose and fancy-free I'm afraid. She was seen around Keiss several times yesterday and my husband nearly got her about five o-clock on the green there. However she disappeared into the darkness again and that was that. She must be getting tired and hungry now. She hates being wet so if it rains she will probably look for a barn, shed or garage to shelter in. To be honest I don't now how we are actually going to get hold of her now. food and patience are all I can think of. A calm approach and matter of fact voice are essential.
Thank you all for taking such an interest.

I lost my friend's dog this afternoon at Keiss beach. She ran from the Golf Club carpark north towards Keiss and was last sighted in the dunes beyond the river in the vicinity of Subseas pipe terminal and may have headed inland. She is medium sized, black with a long tail and wearing a pink harness. She is a nervous dog as she is a rescue animal and difficult to get hold of, but she does like her food. Any food! She lives in Orkney and could be anywhere. She's a fast runner and could cover a lot of ground in unfamiliar territory. We searched all afternoon and are desperate to find her. She is called Cassie.
If anyone sees her could they please contact me on 07899 784422 or 01955 606384.
Thank you.

UPDATE Cassie is still missing, but thanks to those of you who reported sightings. She was last seen around 11pm on the main road at Freswick. She may be heading back to Gills Bay where she arrived, but in any case the north coast I think.
As to breed, well who knows? Medium sized. long tail, pointy ears, medium length coat but black with a pink harness is very distinctive.
Catching her will be difficult and the best bet is food.
Thank you all again.

UPDATE 14:00
Cassie has been sighted at Keiss and again back at Reiss Golf Club. Still not got her and camping out in the golf club carpark until we hear anything else. Thank you all for helping.

Allsorts
06-Nov-11, 20:56
Hope you find her xx

Moira
06-Nov-11, 21:52
Oh dear, how worrying. Hope you find Cassie soon. :)

unicorn
06-Nov-11, 21:58
what type of dog is she?

Moira
06-Nov-11, 22:39
I lost my friend's dog this afternoon at Keiss beach. She ran from the Golf Club carpark north towards Keiss and was last sighted in the dunes beyond the river in the vicinity of Subseas pipe terminal and may have headed inland. She is medium sized, black with a long tail and wearing a pink harness. She is a nervous dog as she is a rescue animal and difficult to get hold of, but she does like her food. Any food! She lives in Orkney and could be anywhere. She's a fast runner and could cover a lot of ground in unfamiliar territory. We searched all afternoon and are desperate to find her. She is called Cassie.
If anyone sees her could they please contact me on 07899 784422 or 01955 606384.
Thank you.

I suspect you mean Cassie ran away on Reiss Beach heading towards Wester?

Is Cassie a Lab/Cocker cross perchance? I've had more than a few worrying minutes with my Lab/Cocker cross at Reiss.

The good thing to remember (and I know it's little consolation) is that Reiss Beach is quite far from the main road. Hopefully Cassie is warm & comfy in a farmhouse or barn tonight and will be reunited with her owners tomorrow. :)

annemarie482
06-Nov-11, 23:22
i live beside wester loch near keiss beach (north of the wester river), my inlaws own some of the dunes and surrounding land.
i will keep an eye open for you and if i see her will try catch her and let you know.
good luck finding her.

annemarie482
07-Nov-11, 11:53
I've posted a link to this thread on my facebook, and have also put it on the facebook caithness local ads.
Fingers crossed shes found soon x

annemarie482
07-Nov-11, 13:57
Have been told it was seen in keiss this morning at 9am

keep looking folks!

Liz
07-Nov-11, 14:14
Glad she's been seen and really hope it won't be long before she is caught.

Will keep an eye out for her.

wick
07-Nov-11, 16:22
I saw her on the main road between Freswick and Auckengill heading North last night. Reported it to the owners. Hope they find her soon!

LMS
07-Nov-11, 16:29
Spotted in South Street, Keiss about ten minutes ago

Cassie the dog
07-Nov-11, 17:39
Son and husband in Keiss looking. First lead all afternoon. Thanks.

Kodiak
07-Nov-11, 17:42
I hope you find your Dog, Good Luck and let us know what happens.

annemarie482
08-Nov-11, 08:59
morning folks, just popped in to see if there was any word on cassie being found?
hope so, was a pretty cold and windy night last night, poor cassie must be hungry too x

Cassie the dog
08-Nov-11, 09:53
UPDATE I thought I had managed to post an update last night. Cassie is still footloose and fancy-free I'm afraid. She was seen around Keiss several times yesterday and my husband nearly got her about five o-clock on the green there. However she disappeared into the darkness again and that was that. She must be getting tired and hungry now. She hates being wet so if it rains she will probably look for a barn, shed or garage to shelter in. To be honest I don't now how we are actually going to get hold of her now. food and patience are all I can think of. A calm approach and matter of fact voice are exsential.

Torvaig
08-Nov-11, 10:25
UPDATE I thought I had managed to post an update last night. Cassie is still footloose and fancy-free I'm afraid. She was seen around Keiss several times yesterday and my husband nearly got her about five o-clock on the green there. However she disappeared into the darkness again and that was that. She must be getting tired and hungry now. She hates being wet so if it rains she will probably look for a barn, shed or garage to shelter in. To be honest I don't now how we are actually going to get hold of her now. food and patience are all I can think of. A calm approach and matter of fact voice are exsential.

And a pocket full of biscuits possibly to tempt her; poor Cassie must be frightened...... any point in putting a large crate in the middle of the green with biscuits hidden in some straw to keep her busy and maybe a bowl of food and water outside to make her interested. Would be good if she could look on it as her refuge. Only problem is keeping other animals away but maybe a watch could be organised from a distance.....

John Little
08-Nov-11, 10:30
Cassie come home!

I also thought would it be possible to dangle a couple of sausages or something at her? She must be starving!

Cassie the dog
08-Nov-11, 12:21
UPDATE tues 11:20am
Cassie was seen on the main road at Ackergill about 10:15am. If she makes her way into Wick it is possible she might find our house in Tolbooth Lane as she has stayed here a couple of times before. She is obviously tired and hungry now.
Any news is welcome. Thankyou.

dragonfly
08-Nov-11, 12:29
hoping she's soon caught and can get a good feed. poor thing, thank goodness its dry weather, one less thing for her to contend with

Liz
08-Nov-11, 15:05
Have you been in touch with the dog warden? If needed she could set a humane trap to catch Cassie.

I'm going out for a walk soon so will keep a look out for her and take some tasty treats with me.

Really hope for good news soon!

Cassie the dog
08-Nov-11, 15:39
Dog Warden on the case and is very helpful,thanks again for your concern,it's comforting to know there's so many helpful people out there.

John Little
08-Nov-11, 17:14
I can't take much more of the tension - has Cassie been secured yet???

david
08-Nov-11, 17:57
I can't take much more of the tension - has Cassie been secured yet???

I really hope she's found soon-not a night to be out.

Liz
08-Nov-11, 20:18
I've just been for a drive around to see whether there is any sign of Cassie but sadly not. :(

Really hoping she has arrived 'home'!

mop top
08-Nov-11, 21:24
Me too Liz i went the keiss direction to see if she had gone back that way. I suspect she went along the Sibster Road today so could be anywhere by now.

I would suggest if anyone sees her in their garden to not shout on her or acknowledge seeing her and to just go put some food out quietly, it would be good to have her stay in one area and return for food when she feels safe to do so. Apparently there were about ten people trying to catch her in Keiss last night, although they were all meaning, this will not work for a dog like Cassie as she will feel hunted and just keep running. A trap can be set but only when she has established a safe place to go to eat.

This brings back memories of Dougal my dog who had been living wild as a stray, it took weeks to catch him and in the end it was using a trap and establishing a place he could come to under the cover of darkness to eat. After a few days the trap was set and he went in it first night!

dollycat
08-Nov-11, 21:53
Told my son to tell his girlfriend and her family to keep a lookout for Cassie, they live on the Sibster road.
Really hope she stops running soon

Cassie the dog
08-Nov-11, 21:56
Update 2045,Have just come home from another fruitless search, been along the beach at the golf coarse and driven along all the roads I thought she might be but not a whisker,can only hope someone spots her to give us another lead.Thanks again everyone for all your help,it's good to live in such a supportive community,will start looking again in the morning and will let you know how it's going.

Liz
08-Nov-11, 23:46
Me too Liz i went the keiss direction to see if she had gone back that way. I suspect she went along the Sibster Road today so could be anywhere by now.

I would suggest if anyone sees her in their garden to not shout on her or acknowledge seeing her and to just go put some food out quietly, it would be good to have her stay in one area and return for food when she feels safe to do so. Apparently there were about ten people trying to catch her in Keiss last night, although they were all meaning, this will not work for a dog like Cassie as she will feel hunted and just keep running. A trap can be set but only when she has established a safe place to go to eat.

This brings back memories of Dougal my dog who had been living wild as a stray, it took weeks to catch him and in the end it was using a trap and establishing a place he could come to under the cover of darkness to eat. After a few days the trap was set and he went in it first night!

We drove along the Sibster Road but no sign. She might have headed off towards Watten though.

As you rightly say a very softly softly approach is needed and would be much easier if she made some kind of 'base' for a wee while to enable you to set a trap.

The dark nights don't help in searching.

I never knew poor Dougal had been a stray for so long. :(

Will head out tomorrow afternoon for another look.

dollycat
09-Nov-11, 09:13
If you need any help with the search for Cassie, then give me a ring Mop Top.
Even sitting in the car for a couple of hours in one location, whilst you are in another just incase.
Im more than willing to sit somewhere where shes been spotted should she decide to return.
Let me know if I can do anything at all.
Really hoping you all get lucky today and get Cassie home.

Cassie the dog
09-Nov-11, 10:55
Cassie has just been sighted in the Ackengill area at 0930,I'll be there as soon as possible.

carasmam
09-Nov-11, 10:57
Ackergill or Auckengill ??!!

Bertieboy
09-Nov-11, 11:17
Cassie Spotted at Auckengill running through moorlands 9.40am,did call her,she stopped & looked then carried on,phoned owner to inform them, saw and spoke to Dog Warden who is on the case,hopefully somebody can catch her real soon,poor little girl.

Torvaig
09-Nov-11, 12:14
Good to know Bertieboy; she must be still healthy and fit. Here's hoping today's the day....

Liz
09-Nov-11, 13:02
Really good that you saw her Bertieboy and, as you say Torvaig, really hope today is the day she lets someone take her home.

Come on Cassie we're all longing for the good news!

mop top
09-Nov-11, 13:37
Was there within ten mins of last sighting armed with food and my 2 dogs, walked a good bit into the hill and saw no trace at all of her.

Spent another hour just driving slowly just scanning all the fields etc for a sighting and nothing! went back down to keiss then to see if she has doubled back but no trace there either.

My feelings are that she will keep Keiss as her base as that is where she last saw the humans she was with, i feel she will always gravitate back to there.

Liz
09-Nov-11, 13:51
Was there within ten mins of last sighting armed with food and my 2 dogs, walked a good bit into the hill and saw no trace at all of her.

Spent another hour just driving slowly just scanning all the fields etc for a sighting and nothing! went back down to keiss then to see if she has doubled back but no trace there either.

My feelings are that she will keep Keiss as her base as that is where she last saw the humans she was with, i feel she will always gravitate back to there.

Aw how frustrating! :(

Good for you for trying so hard to get her. We are so lucky to have such a great dog warden!

I think you're right in that she does seem to be staying around the Keiss area and only ran away because she felt threatened having so many (well meaning) people go after her.

Really hope they will leave her this time and let her make a base so you can catch her.

dollycat
09-Nov-11, 14:31
Are there any posters up asking people to be vigilant, that way motorists can take extra care when travelling that way.
Could you git a bitty in the Groat about Cassie?
Thankfully shes wearing her pink harness and will be easily spotted when she does appear.

sweep
09-Nov-11, 15:45
could someone call moray firth radio and caithness fm. maybe the story could be mentioned on the air.

Iffy
09-Nov-11, 16:28
Sorry I know this is no help whatsoever, but:

I had such a vivid dream last night, about Cassie - except in my dream her name was "Tilly". I dreamt that I was on the Brabster road, just above Gills and she was running around. I stopped, in my dream, cos I recognised her - beautiful dog, black (predominantly) and white with a gorgeous long tail with "feathers" and wearing a pink harness ! I just sat down beside the road and called on her very softly and she came to me !! I "caught" her and managed (thru different ways !!!) to return her to her owner !

I sincerely hope my dream comes true........."please come home, Cassie!!"

Cassie the dog
09-Nov-11, 16:43
Hello all and thanks again for your help,support and understanding.We have been out looking again but to no avail,I think Ann's policy is best and let her show up but don't try to catch her.She'll eat anything so if you see her putting out a few scraps might encourage her.
I must point out again Cassie is not our dog,we're looking after her for a friend who's visiting family in Canada,Cassie will only come to her when called. She has run away in the past and her owner had to travel from Orkney to her friends in the Western isles who were looking after her to call her in!
We are very worried and concerned about Cassie,but feel it's pointless chasing after her as she'll just keep running and become more frighted as I'm sure you understand.
I don't know how to thank you all so much for your help support and understanding, it is appreciated,in the mean time keep looking,any sighting is useful.
PS Her owner is away for two weeks,she hasn't been told as there's nothing she can do from Canada.

Moira
09-Nov-11, 22:07
I'm so disappointed to logon tonight and see that Cassie hasn't been caught yet. I drove around the Ackergill/Reiss area late yesterday afternoon but obviously did not spot her.

The advice from Anne, the Dog Warden is sound and I'm confident Anne's experience and involvement will bring Cassie home safe.

Here's hoping for better news tomorrow. :)

Dadie
09-Nov-11, 23:02
I have a pans worth of venison boiled up freshly tonight (10ltrs) If you think that would help get her back....tempt her into a trap etc if you want.
As she sounds like a food oriented dog, and mine goes daft for it!

starfish
10-Nov-11, 13:08
any news yet

Leanne
10-Nov-11, 19:13
Fingers still crossed here.

And all of us with dogs should all learn from this...

annemarie482
10-Nov-11, 20:00
i hear via facebook, that cassie has been spotted tonight at gills.
and that the dog warden, and couple looking for her are there.
fingers crossed they get her.
on the bright side, for now, at least we know she's alive and well.

Moira
10-Nov-11, 20:32
That's great news AnnMarie, thanks.

Let's leave them to it. The couple and the Dog Warden will need perfect peace in order to persuade Cassie to come to them.

Everything crossed that they bring Cassie home tonight. :)

orkneycadian
10-Nov-11, 20:37
And all of us with dogs should all learn from this...

You would think so - But how many threads have gone before saying "I just let my dog off the lead, and it ran away and now its lost...."?

mop top
10-Nov-11, 20:50
Sorry to disappoint folks but i was there within 20 mins of the sighting and no sign of Cassie at all, once again she had vanished into thin air. Will head out first light again but really hoping for a phone call later that couple looking after Cassie for her owner, have got her and she is safely in the car !

Moira
10-Nov-11, 21:06
Sorry to hear that MopTop but thanks for your dedication.

Here's hoping for better news later or tomorrow.....

Torvaig
10-Nov-11, 21:20
Hear, hear Moira. MopTop, I hope that you can charm Cassie to come home with you. She must be a fly wee madam and will only come out of hiding for her Mum.... Good luck tomorrow.

Cassie the dog
10-Nov-11, 22:03
Waited at Gills until ferry was loaded but no show,she was down on the link span this morning, the guys there tried to catch her but she ran off,they say if she shows up again they'll try and feed her.I feel I must point out that she was not let off her lead for a run on the beach but escaped from the car she was traveling in.Thanks again everyone for all your help and concern.

Torvaig
10-Nov-11, 22:07
Good to know she still feels a connection with the ferry; let's hope they manage to win her trust through patience and food! Good luck to you all....

Moira
10-Nov-11, 22:19
Waited at Gills until ferry was loaded but no show,she was down on the link span this morning, the guys there tried to catch her but she ran off,they say if she shows up again they'll try and feed her.I feel I must point out that she was not let off her lead for a run on the beach but escaped from the car she was traveling in.Thanks again everyone for all your help and concern.

Hey, don't feel obliged to point anything out. We're all doing our best (well most of us are) to help you secure Cassie's safety.

Ignore the negativity from the perfect few and concentrate on bringing Cassie home safe tomorrow. :)

All best.

Cassie the dog
10-Nov-11, 22:56
Thanks Moira,its been another long day.

mop top
10-Nov-11, 23:08
Cassie the Dog dont beat yourself up, these things happen.

Cassie is not your average dog, she has proved this!

We are all desperate to get her to safety but at the end of the day it is her choice to keep running, when as you said she could be curled up in front of the fire being pampered

tomorrow is another day dont lose hope

Moira
10-Nov-11, 23:29
Thanks Moira,its been another long day.

You're welcome. Go get some sleep, tomorrow is another, hopefully, better day. :)

Cassie the Dog dont beat yourself up, these things happen.......

Absolutely! I can vouch for the fact that these things happen.....

Fingers & Paws crossed for the best result tomorrow.

Cassie, come home. :)

dollycat
10-Nov-11, 23:37
What a clever wee dog to find her way back to the Gills ferry area.
Got a feeling that shes waiting there to go home, fingers crossed

secrets in symmetry
10-Nov-11, 23:55
If Cassie wants to go home, then why not encourage her to get on the ferry at Gills - and then lock her inside until she is picked up?

Ok, don't tell me - it's a stupid idea...

Or is it?

Moira
11-Nov-11, 00:07
Perhaps, because Cassie's owners are abroad right now and her "holiday carers" are in Caithness.

Anyhow, would you step onto a ferry, any ferry and not be scared by meeting Orkneycadian at the other end??!! ;)

secrets in symmetry
11-Nov-11, 00:09
I meant "until her carers can pick her up" - at Gills - before the ferry leaves.

I know it's a dodgy plan, but nothing else has worked....

Liz
11-Nov-11, 00:13
Hey, don't feel obliged to point anything out. We're all doing our best (well most of us are) to help you secure Cassie's safety.

Ignore the negativity from the perfect few and concentrate on bringing Cassie home safe tomorrow. :)

All best.

Exactly Moira!

There is no need to make Cassie's carers feel any worse than they already are and accidents happen!!!

I am really disappointed that Cassie wasn't caught tonight but feel heartened that the ferry staff are being so kind and really do think that if they start feeding her then Mop Top might be able to set a trap.

Come on Cassie and give us all something to celebrate this weekend!!!

Cassie the dog
11-Nov-11, 09:28
Had a call from the ferry office at 0800 to say that Cassie was down about the link span again but has now run off inland ,at least we know she's still OK and that she's returning to the ferry terminal at nights,maybe a good place to try and establish a feeding pattern?
I'll call dog warden at 0900 and see what she thinks best.

dollycat
11-Nov-11, 09:44
Thats great that shes returned there again.
Do the ferry people know not to give chase and to just ignore her until the dogwarden and yourselves get there?
Almost exactly the same thing happened to us last year with a dog.
Hoping today brings results

JOGer
11-Nov-11, 10:41
Just spotted in near John O' Groats half an hour ago, heading back towards Huna, possibly along the shore.

Rheghead
11-Nov-11, 17:42
I've my fingers crossed that you get the dog back!! Good luck

starfish
11-Nov-11, 19:47
any news tonight

mostlyharmless
11-Nov-11, 20:43
Saw a dog about 7pm tonight 11th Nov in the dip on the Auckengill Road just before Auckengill heading towards Wick.
Had some sort of a neckerchief or coat on but was hard to see in the dark. It was a Staffy sized dog not neccessarily a Staffy though. Went back to try and see her but she was gone.

Cassie the dog
11-Nov-11, 21:31
Sorry, there is no more news tonight. Thank you all for your concern.

telfordstar
11-Nov-11, 23:07
hope she is found soon, a fellow facebooker Eilidh McLatin has posted a link on her page for a wider coverage.

Dadie
11-Nov-11, 23:31
Is she good with other dogs?
And might pal around with them....
If so I will take Poppy dog for a walk around the area off leash, with smelly doggie treats in my pockets...she is food oriented isnt she?
Does she have a collar/harness on?....just if she comes up for a treat, I might be able to leash her!

Cassie the dog
12-Nov-11, 16:00
Cassie has been seen alive and well in Sinclair Bay today, most recently at the golf course.
May I stress that trying to approach her will only make her run more. Food and patience will be the only way to catch her again.
Thanks again to everybody keeping a look out.

Sarah
12-Nov-11, 16:41
This must be so upsetting for you. I do hope she's caught and home soon. Sadly there's not much I can do to help from over this side.

pottheed
12-Nov-11, 17:56
Last night around 0130 I saw a large dogs backside in a verge on the single track road to the south of canisbay. couldn't tell you what type of dog. or it could of even been a deer. Just to let you know.

Moira
12-Nov-11, 19:03
Cassie has been seen alive and well in Sinclair Bay today, most recently at the golf course.
May I stress that trying to approach her will only make her run more. Food and patience will be the only way to catch her again.
Thanks again to everybody keeping a look out.

Reiss Beach was busy with people & dogs late this afternoon. I took my dog a walk towards Ackergill Tower then took a walk along the top of the dunes, on my own, past the Golf Course towards Wester. I had a pocket full of food but sadly did not spot Cassie.

I did meet a couple of folk who'd not heard of Cassie's disappearance. Suffice to say they know about Cassie now, will look out for her and know not to approach her directly. All best. :)

Liz
12-Nov-11, 19:23
Really glad that she is okay but how frustrating that she can't be caught. :(

For a dog who hasn't eaten she has some energy!!

I will have a look for her tomorrow as go down that way for a walk. It would be worth putting a poster up in the car park to let people know not to approach her and with contact no's.

Dadie
13-Nov-11, 00:31
I wasnt going to approach her, I was going to get her to come to me....Poppy dog was very wary of people when we first got her and we took it slow and I can drop smelly treats at decreasing intervals until im feeding from the hand behind me at which point a leash would be slipped over the neck on a long line......ok may take a few visits.....or at least get her to trust people a wee bit more each time....inch by inch...
We were on reiss with Poppy dog and the kids about low tide and no sign then!....but a couple of other dogs sniffed my pockets.....
Its just handy to know if she would pal around with another dog as it would make catching her easier....trust issues?

Cassie the dog
13-Nov-11, 10:52
Sunday 13/11/11
Cassie has been sighted again today, still in the Sinclair Bay area. She might respond to another dog better than a human. It's worth a try.

lisbit
13-Nov-11, 12:16
Cassie was in Reiss village this morning but very wary. No chance of getting near to her but at least she is on the go

Liz
13-Nov-11, 13:26
I live in Reiss so will keep an eye out and see whether she will go to Benjy.

Off out in a wee while to look for her. Last time she came through Reiss she was making her way down to Gills.

Greenland
13-Nov-11, 15:58
I didn't know about your thread but Cassie was on the golf course yesterday (saturday 12th nov.)lunchtime, we tried to catch her when she came near us to see if she had an disk with I.D on, but no luck, she had a harness on, several golfers also tried, sorry, I thought she might belong to a golfer as she was staying around the green, we were walking on the dunes nearby. Hope you find her.

Iffy
13-Nov-11, 17:17
Absolutely heart-warming to think that so many Orger's and the general public are looking out for Cassie !

I put this on my "Facebook" as well, in the hope that the more widespread this is, the better. Dadie, Liz, lisbit, Moira, mop top....just to name a very few who are most encouraging and thoughtful about poor Cassie's whereabouts........I'm sure it must mean so very much to Cassie's "carer's"

I'm always hopeful and I'm sure that Cassie will get tired of "running" and God Willing, someone will be there with treats; another dog....etc, to entice her to "come home" !

please come home Cassie ......

Dadie
13-Nov-11, 17:53
You just reminded me to remove the bag of jellied venison chunks from my pocket!
Ok a bit more messy than bonio....but sooo tempting.....
Think the golfers may have scared her away today!

mop top
13-Nov-11, 19:22
We took Dougal and Mollie to Reiss this morn and walked as far as Wester river no sign of her at all but the strong sense of being watched! although could have been my imagination as i am looking for her subconsciously where ever i go.

I too noticed Dadie there were a lot of golfers around today so think they probably made her head up into the village she will also be gravitating towards people in search of food.

Tomorrows another day and we wont give up on you Cassey, stay safe girl.

Liz
13-Nov-11, 19:53
Went out this afternoon and again about half an hour ago but no sign. :(

I know what you mean mop top re looking for her subconciously.

I really do hope that her search for food will bring her into someone's garden so a trap could be set.

We definitely won't give up on you Cassie!

Dadie
14-Nov-11, 10:25
I have kids stuff on today and working the rest of the week, so Im tied up, but if anyone wants some frozen venison jelly to entice her with, you are more than welcome....its quite smelly (gamey)and is great at enticing dogs in!

starfish
14-Nov-11, 17:47
any news today

Liz
14-Nov-11, 19:57
Cassie was seen in the Ackergill area at 12 noon today.

I went down there this afternoon and up to the golf course but no sign. :(

Poor Cassie must be so hungry now! It's good that she's been in this area for a few days now. Can everyone in that area please keep an eye out for her as it would be great if she could be enticed into someone's garden so a trap could be set.

Allsorts
14-Nov-11, 20:00
I keep reading up and really hope that she is caught soon, at least she is staying in the same area....

Moira
14-Nov-11, 23:25
Cassie was seen in the Ackergill area at 12 noon today.
I went down there this afternoon and up to the golf course but no sign.
Poor Cassie must be so hungry now! It's good that she's been in this area for a few days now. Can everyone in that area please keep an eye out for her as it would be great if she could be enticed into someone's garden so a trap could be set.

I was on Reiss beach between 12 noon & 1 pm today Liz but no joy. The tide was well in and after a few drookings we took to the dunes towards the Wester side.
I had a look around the dunes at the Golf Course car park about an hour ago but alas, nothing. :(
As you say it's good that Cassie seems to be keeping to the same area now. Here's hoping someone can entice her with food which will encourage her to keep coming back to the same place so that a trap can be set.

Dadie
14-Nov-11, 23:52
Might help.
High tide times lifted straight from
Scrabster tide tables 2011
tue 1051 2322
wed 1132 -
thur 0012 1222
fri 0114 1324
sat 0230 1438
sun 0347 1555

You can interpret them as you like, but it might be useful if you are searching on the beach rather than the dunes!
Or might help you to know that the beach will be covered by water so she wont be down there!

Cassie the dog
15-Nov-11, 09:30
Tues 15. I received a call at 0730 to say Cassie was spotted in south Keiss at 0630 heading towards the main road.She seems to have stayed in the area for 2-3 days,hopefully she will befriend some hear and finally be caught,I will speak with the dog warden at 0900 and ask for advice.once again thank you all for your help and understanding,any sightings reported are most appreciated as at least we know she's still alive and well.

annemarie482
15-Nov-11, 10:03
i'll keep a look out.
like i said im very near the subsea 7 site south keiss.
there's a lot of action here as they are launching a pipeline today.
so lots of lights, trucks, people and noise.
not sure if this will atract her or scare her off but will keep looking.
hope shes found soon x

starfish
15-Nov-11, 19:41
anymore sighting

Alice in Blunderland
15-Nov-11, 19:58
I bet the pets section has never been so busy with people checking in to see if the poor dog has been caught yet.

I log in two or three times a day just to check and see.

I do hope they catch her soon.

starfish
15-Nov-11, 20:03
i do as well and every time we go out i look in the feilds between freswick and wick she certainly clocking up the miles and must be hungry

Liz
15-Nov-11, 20:20
Haven't heard of any more sightings today I'm afraid. :(

I went up to Wester, via the golf course, this afternoon and used the binoculars to have a good look around but didn't see her.

I put a poster up in the car park at Reiss beach as the more people who know about her the better.

As you say starfish, she must be hungry but she's certainly got lots of energy as she isn't half covering a wide area. Hopefully, she is getting titbits here and there and finding shelter at night.

starfish
15-Nov-11, 20:29
just hope she caught soon before she gets to hungry and starts worrying livestock

Moira
15-Nov-11, 21:41
Haven't heard of any more sightings today I'm afraid. :(

I went up to Wester, via the golf course, this afternoon and used the binoculars to have a good look around but didn't see her.

I put a poster up in the car park at Reiss beach as the more people who know about her the better.

Well done Liz, I didnt manage to go out looking for Cassie today but am glad you did. :D

Moira
15-Nov-11, 22:16
just hope she caught soon before she gets to hungry and starts worrying livestock

Oh don't be so ridiculous. Cassie is a pet dog who is running scared because her owners have left her for a limited period of time in the company of some carers in Caithness. Several folk have left food out for her to eat so she will not be starving.

Cassie has proved resourceful so far in avoiding capture. She's a pet dog, a rescue dog, wary of strangers, afraid to approach humans & animals alike, unless she recognises them. Why on earth would she "start worrying livestock" ?

starfish
15-Nov-11, 22:22
i am sorry if my post was worded wrong i know what she going through i just meant hope she does not get that hungry that she would think of worring livestock not that she would but she is probably getting very hungry i am sorry if it has upset you but i did not mean it in a nasty way i too are worried about her and look every day and also check on here several times a day to see if she has been sighted near where i live so i can keep an eye out for her in the hope she comes in the yards so i can put down something tasty for her

Moira
15-Nov-11, 22:33
Ok, point taken. I'm glad you did not mean it in a nasty way. Thanks for your reply. :)

Dadie
15-Nov-11, 23:42
Its getting too long for her to be running.
Has anyone seen the vets to see if doping food is an option now?
OK its not to be taken lightly....but the longer she is out....the less likely there is a good outcome.
She must be hungry now...and she isnt coming close enough to people to be caught....surely a baited food trap near where she is and people waiting to keep track is becoming more of an option now?

brandy
15-Nov-11, 23:55
i was wondering about a trap as well.. was a bit concerned about the harness getting caught on something and her not being able to get loose.
she def. does not want to be caught thats for sure.
but heres hoping for a happy and hopefully soon outcome

Liz
16-Nov-11, 00:05
Its getting too long for her to be running.
Has anyone seen the vets to see if doping food is an option now?
OK its not to be taken lightly....but the longer she is out....the less likely there is a good outcome.
She must be hungry now...and she isnt coming close enough to people to be caught....surely a baited food trap near where she is and people waiting to keep track is becoming more of an option now?

Doping food would not be an option as she could go off and 'drop' anywhere! A trap can't be set at the moment as she isn't staying in one place long enough.

Our wonderful dog warden has things under control and is doing a great job of tracking Cassie and will set up a trap when the time is right. I am reliably informed that she has had some food.

i was wondering about a trap as well.. was a bit concerned about the harness getting caught on something and her not being able to get loose.
she def. does not want to be caught thats for sure.
but heres hoping for a happy and hopefully soon outcome

I was a bit worried about the harness at first but in a way it's a good thing as she can easily be identified.

She seems to be going to areas where people can see her so if she did get caught I'm sure she'd be seen.

Moira
16-Nov-11, 00:19
Well said Liz,

Some of us know what we're doing.....

Dadie
16-Nov-11, 00:22
What about if enough people can be used to watch at the weekend or sometime?
Isnt it time enough to think about the options if the worst comes to it.....I hate to say...
So she is caught, which is the outcome everyone wants.
Say if she isnt caught by fri having a back up plan wont go amiss..
And now is the time to gear up the manpower needed for a sedated capture.

Liz
16-Nov-11, 00:33
Dadie as I have said the dog warden does have a plan and has volunteers helping her.

annemarie482
16-Nov-11, 01:43
Exactly Liz !

The situation is being dealt with by those with the knowledge to do so.

In the mean time, I'm sure they'd appreciate our support in the form of phone calls when cassie is sighted.

Fingers crossed for a happy ending

muppet
16-Nov-11, 10:40
I spotted the dog this morning at about 8 am at Gills on the main road, opposite side of the road to the bus shelter running towards Gills. Did stop the car and call her but she had disappeared by the time I had turned round. Reported it to the dog warden as soon as I got to work.

Liz
16-Nov-11, 13:41
Exactly Liz !

The situation is being dealt with by those with the knowledge to do so.

In the mean time, I'm sure they'd appreciate our support in the form of phone calls when cassie is sighted.

Fingers crossed for a happy ending

Although people are well meaning ,Cassie is such a nervous dog that she needs to be handled differently to most missing dogs and, as you say,needs to be dealt with by those who know what they are doing. If too many people turn up looking for Cassie this will scare her away so best to just report sightings.

I spotted the dog this morning at about 8 am at Gills on the main road, opposite side of the road to the bus shelter running towards Gills. Did stop the car and call her but she had disappeared by the time I had turned round. Reported it to the dog warden as soon as I got to work.

That's great news and well done for spotting her and reporting it to the dog warden. She thought Cassie might be returning to Gills and has everything under control to try to catch Cassie.

Cassie the dog
16-Nov-11, 18:07
I was informed this afternoon that Cassie has nipped someones hand at Gills today when they tried to catch her.As a result of this I shall inform her owner who is at present in the far north of Canada visiting her parents ,to come back as soon as possible to care for her dog,this might take some time as I know it takes three days to get back to the UK and a flight will have to be arranged at short notice.In the mean time I must ask you all not to approach Cassie as she is obviously very frighted.Any sightings of her would be most helpful so we know where to look when her owner arrives.Cassie appears to be fit and well and must be feeding herself with your kind offerings and probably some road kill, she must also be finding somewhere to sleep.I would like to thank you all again for your kindness and understanding and a huge thank you to our local dog warden for acting over and above her call of duty in trying to deal with such an imposable task.

Liz
16-Nov-11, 20:16
Aw poor Cassie only did this because of fear poor girl.

This is why people shouldn't try and catch her but just report sightings. I'm glad you are informing her owner now.

Yes our dog warden is a gem who we should all be so grateful to! :)

dollycat
16-Nov-11, 20:36
Poor Cassie.
When our rescue dog bolted, my neice caught up with her and she got nipped too.
It was not an aggressive bite, more of a nip to show us how frightened she was of us humans.
Makes my blood boil to think of the lives these poor creatures had before they found their forever homes, that they are so petrified.
Best of luck to those involved with trying to catch up with her, what an ordeal youve been through.

Liz
16-Nov-11, 20:51
Yes as you say Dollycat it is so sad to think what humans have done to these beautiful creatures to make them so fearful! :(

Really, really hope she is caught soon and can go home with her mum.

cuddlepop
16-Nov-11, 21:22
I follow this thread every time I log on and hope for a happy ending.

Glad you,ve informed her owner and that you've got a fantastic bunch of "rescuers" up there.

orkneycadian
16-Nov-11, 21:31
Is she good with other dogs?
And might pal around with them....

Isn't there a dog group in Caithness and Sutherland that specialise in finding lost things? Pally dogs + lost thing must surely be onto a winner there?

For a dog who hasn't eaten she has some energy!!

So it would appear! Plotting all the alleged sightings above on Google maps suggests she has travelled (as the crow flies) over 90 miles, and has been up and down the road between Gills and Wick more often than Steven's lorries!

Liz
16-Nov-11, 23:28
I've found out that Cassie never bit anyone!

She was almost caught by a volunteer when someone ran down the pier at Gills and spooked her so she ran off again!!!! :(

Not sure whether she'll do what she did last time and head back to Reiss then Ackergill etc. Please just keep an eye out for her and report any sightings.
It is very frustrating to think she could have been caught some time ago if people hadn't frightened her away.
Really hope her owner will come home and that Cassie will come to her.

Aye Orkneycadian she has certainly covered some miles. Poor wee mite.

Moira
16-Nov-11, 23:41
Thanks for the update Liz.

Orkneycadian's post is flawed in any case. Cassie is a dog, not a crow. ;)

starfish
17-Nov-11, 20:17
any news on cassie today

Liz
17-Nov-11, 20:25
She was spotted down at Keiss and then later up at Wester.

We went down and she was heading for the dunes at Reiss beach. She then went down on to the golf course but ran off and, despite searching for her for two hours, there was no sign of her. :(

She is a very frightened wee soul and needs to be approached very, very carefully as the least little movement just spooks her.

It is really good though that people are phoning up to report sightings. :)

Croftergirl
18-Nov-11, 00:32
I saw cassie on the main road at the links at Keiss this morning (bout 12ish) she got spooked by a loory passin and shot across the road in front of me. thankfully my brakes are workin well. I think I prob got a biggger fright than she did. I didnt have the number for the dog warden so phoned the vets who passed on the message. She looked in good health wen I saw her and is still moving very fast. Hopefully she will settle in one area so you can get her home as soon as. good luck.

Liz
18-Nov-11, 00:39
Thanks a lot for phoning to report your sighting of Cassie.

The poor soul is just so very frightened and very easily spooked which doesn't make it easy to catch her. Still, as you say, she is looking okay and we'll all keep going until she is caught. Yes it would be wonderful if she would settle in one area instead of travelling over such a wide area.
The problem is, as soon as she goes somewhere she gets frightened (often by well meaning people trying to catch her).

I think she was frightened by a jogger on the beach today and that's why she ran back towards Reiss.

Cassie I hope you are snuggled up warm somewhere tonight and that you know we only want what is best for you and surrender!

balto
18-Nov-11, 12:16
aw still no cassie, not been on for a few day,was hoping to log on and find out she was home safe and sound, hopefully it wont be to much longer and before the weather turns, thankfully its been mild just now.

starfish
18-Nov-11, 20:42
up date please when her owners getting back

Iffy
18-Nov-11, 22:19
up date please when her owners getting back

Yes, please keep us updated about Cassie.

SO many people (even outwith Caithness.Org ) are rooting for her safe return to her owners/carers !

Rheghead
18-Nov-11, 22:25
Erm, what is the strategy to get this dog? Is it to wait until it is too flippin weak to run away from anybody? If that is the case then I'm free tomorrow and Sunday to help with the search, I just don't want a poor animal to suffer and be frightened.

Dadie
18-Nov-11, 22:58
Doog still running, weather going to turn, livestock...sheep in lamb could spell disaster,lack of meals and lots of help offered.
Whats the plan?
Sight her and sit and wait?
Or wait until something happens...
And where are the owners and what commands do they use on her?
Some correct comands in the right tone may help ...if she will listen.
Or is it the chosen few that are seen as good enough to help?
As nothing has worked so far.
Tranquilliser dart and watch for the fall?

Moira
18-Nov-11, 23:30
Erm, what is the strategy to get this dog? Is it to wait until it is too flippin weak to run away from anybody? If that is the case then I'm free tomorrow and Sunday to help with the search, I just don't want a poor animal to suffer and be frightened.

Rheghead, I'm led to believe that Cassie is feeding well so is not weak. I'll be guided by the Dog Warden's recommendations as to what is best for Cassie.

starfish
18-Nov-11, 23:32
has there been any sightings today

Dadie
18-Nov-11, 23:36
The only difference between proffessionals is the fact they are being paid.
So whats the plan as there is a lot of volenteer mantime being offered up?
To get Cassie before anything ill toward happens so to get a happy outcome for everyone?

Moira
19-Nov-11, 00:07
I don't profess anything and I can assure you that no-one pays for my advice on this forum.

I think your suggestion earlier in the week that Cassie's food should be laced with drugs was stupid. Not only ill-advised but stupid. Quite why I think that is not important right now.

My main concern is Cassie's welfare so I'll take my lead from the folk who know what they are doing in Cassie's best interests.

evelyn
19-Nov-11, 00:25
I hope the owner has been contacted. In their shoes, I'd be broken if all this was going on on and I'd not been informed.
Evelyn

Liz
19-Nov-11, 00:56

I can assure you that the dog warden and all the volunteers helping her have been working tirelessly to get Cassie. You make it sound as if she's just being left to run and that is not the case! Food is being put down where she's been seen.

Doog still running, weather going to turn, livestock...sheep in lamb could spell disaster,lack of meals and lots of help offered.
Whats the plan?
Sight her and sit and wait?
Or wait until something happens...
And where are the owners and what commands do they use on her?
Some correct comands in the right tone may help ...if she will listen.
Or is it the chosen few that are seen as good enough to help?
As nothing has worked so far.
Tranquilliser dart and watch for the fall?

The only difference between proffessionals is the fact they are being paid.
So whats the plan as there is a lot of volenteer mantime being offered up?
To get Cassie before anything ill toward happens so to get a happy outcome for everyone?

Dadie I am sorry but you are really getting on my nerves now!!

I've told you twice that the dog warden knows what she is doing and has been doing everything in her power, including going out at all hours in her own time, to try to get Cassie. She has got enough volunteers, at the moment, to help her when needed.

Apart from professionals being paid they are trained. Part of the problem has been people, with the best of intentions, rushing up to Cassie to try to catch her with the result that she runs off and ends up miles away. She was almost caught the other day until someone ran up and frightened her away.

I don't think you realise just what a nervous dog Cassie is.

A tranquilliser dart would not work as she is so pumped up with adrenalin, and even if it did, she could run for miles before 'dropping'. She runs at such a speed no human could keep up with her although you are very welcome to try!!!

If you would read the thread you will see that the owner is in Canada!!!

I appreciate that you want Cassie to be caught as we all all do but your comments are not helping!

By the way she isn't at all interested in livestock so no worries on that score.

Liz
19-Nov-11, 01:01
I hope the owner has been contacted. In their shoes, I'd be broken if all this was going on on and I'd not been informed.
Evelyn

I believe she has been contacted now Evelyn but not sure when she's coming home. It was up to the person caring for Cassie to do this. :)

Cassie the dog
19-Nov-11, 10:44
Please don't chase Cassie she is very frightened and it's not helping her.If she could settle somewhere for a day or two it might be possible to reestablish a bond with her.She is not harming anything or any body,she dose not chase stock.Her owner is in Goose bay,Labrador,Newfoundland.She is visiting her Ant who is in hospital terminally ill with cancer.She will be back as soon as possible<br>Please be patient,Cassie has not been properly trained and responds to little other than her owners voice.In the mean time any signings reported are very helpful,but please don't chase after her.

cuddlepop
19-Nov-11, 12:31
"softly,softly catch the monkey" springs to mind but in this case its a dog,principal still applies I think.

Its amazing the tenacity of a dog thats "spooked".

Croftergirl
19-Nov-11, 16:35
As Liz says its best to leave this to a few people who know wot they are doin. I didnt even stop the car wen I saw cassie the other day, just got the message passed on to the dog warden. i think the less folk who go after her or try to approach her the betta, then hopefully she will settle down in one area and they will be able to do somethin to get her.
i check in on here everyday hopin that she has been caught, it will happen in time, wens she ready to stop havin a big adventure.

Garnet
19-Nov-11, 18:42
suggestion only ........would it be possible for Cassie's sitter to speak to owner in Canada and get a few commands into the phone to be recorded this end, so if able to get near Cassie she may recognise the voice of owner, may need a megaphone though................just a thought!!!

John Little
19-Nov-11, 21:34
Hmm....

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/dog-evades-police-in-daring-motorway-chase.html

cptdodger
19-Nov-11, 23:17
My parents (many years ago now) put our two Alsations (mother and daughter) into kennels while we went on holiday, the kennels were just off the main Dundee to Perth road (A90) When we returned, we went to collect the dogs, unfortunately it was the owners son who released the dogs out of their kennel, not realising Kim, the younger of the two took a while to get used to us again. Well, she bolted straight past us and onto the A90, which was a dual carriageway and headed in the direction of Perth, back and forward, all over the place, how she was not hit and killed by a car, god only knows. After approx 5 miles, she veered down a side road, my mum got out the car, and just grabbed her, it resulted in a trip to A and E for my mum because Kim had bitten her, the minute Kim bit her though, she realised who she was and calmed down. The poor dog had run the pads off her paws, they were red raw. The point being, we had to catch her, there was no option, she would never have survived this long on her own.

Liz
20-Nov-11, 00:14
Just to let you know that Cassie has been seen in the Freswick area and a rescue operation is underway.

annemarie482
20-Nov-11, 00:44
Thanks for keeping us updated Liz,
Fingers crossed cassie's caught x

porshiepoo
20-Nov-11, 09:09
I've been watching this thread hoping and praying that this poor dog comes to no harm. Thanks for the updates Liz.

I really hope a capture is possible as I doubt the poor thing has much chance of survival if our weather turns as cold as last year! I do understand the average persons reasoning that an all out capture with as many well meaning locals as possible is the way to go, however it really would likely end in disaster for the dog and probably result in nasty bites to a few people too.
I know a bird is different but when our Eagle Owl escaped recently we tried every softly softly approach we could for weeks - literally! In the end we decided that his survival depended on his capture as he wasn't eating and was obviously weakening. So we chased him! Finally he landed in a field and either didn't have the strength to get off the ground again or decided to give in or (most likely) was too shocked by the cavalry charge and nets bearing down on him that he couldn't move. Either way we caught him BUT we knew it was a risk!

Dogs are different though. Chase a dog (and that IS what it would turn into) and it will flee regardless of where it is or where it has to go. It will have no road sense and will not consider the cars coming at it as a threat, it will simply want to get away. There's so much more chance of it either being killed or causing an accident.
And if it can't run and is backed into a corner, it WILL bite. This dog is probably now so scared and confused that it will react outside it's normal temperment. Instinct for survival will kick in and it will do what it must, it shows absolutely no sign of giving in or even of wanting to be caught.

Personally imo the best chance of it being caught is by the owners, however that's not possible right now.
The best thing we can do for this dog is let the experts do it their way - as frustrating as that may be to others.
IF the dog does happen to get close to a member of the public the worse thing you can do is approach it or make any sudden launch at it - it will run away guaranteed. If it appears to be trying to get close to you, be passive. Sit down if need be, offer it treats and only take its collar if your can do so passively. Who knows the poor thing may be at the end of its tether, it may decide enough is enough but one thing is for sure chase it and you'll never catch it!

Good luck to all those involved with its rescue. If you happen to need spotters of any kind or any other kind of help let me know and I'll be there.

Torvaig
20-Nov-11, 09:45
"The best thing we can do for this dog is let the experts do it their way - as frustrating as that may be to others.
IF the dog does happen to get close to a member of the public the worse thing you can do is approach it or make any sudden launch at it - it will run away guaranteed. If it appears to be trying to get close to you, be passive. Sit down if need be, offer it treats and only take its collar if your can do so passively. Who knows the poor thing may be at the end of its tether, it may decide enough is enough but one thing is for sure chase it and you'll never catch it!"

Good advice here for us all to follow; bar her owners flying over soon to persuade Cassie to return to them, Anne and her team have the best chance with their softly, softly approach and experience.

Liz
20-Nov-11, 12:54
Afraid Cassie is on the run again. :( There were very loud fireworks which must have scared the poor mite. So any reports of sightings would be appreciated.

As you rightly say Porshiepoo, she has felt like she's been hunted by well meaning people.

Torvaig her owner is home this week so, if she isn't caught by then, hopefully she will get Cassie by calling to her.

cuddlepop
20-Nov-11, 13:10
Thanks for the updates.
Hopefully get cassie home and safe soon.

Blondie
20-Nov-11, 18:55
Really hope this has a good outcome. Poor Cassie must be terrified.

Thanks for the updates.

cptdodger
20-Nov-11, 19:03
How many times has it been said " leave it to the people that know what they're doing" or "leave it to the experts". You're right of course, myself and my family did not know what we were doing when our dog headed straight towards a dual carriageway, apart from the fact through sheer determination and my mother getting bitten (which was a small price to pay), we had our dog back within 30 minutes, not two weeks and counting. My dog was terrified for half an hour, this dog has been terrified for two weeks now, ask your "experts" what that's going to do to her long term. In future, if you do'nt want help - do'nt plaster it over the Org, and then get defensive when people try to help.

dollycat
20-Nov-11, 19:29
Its hardly plastered all over the org!
And those involved have only asked for sightings to be reported, nothing more.
The majority of us are logging on to see if the poor dog has stopped running, she hasnt.
Still wishing for a successful outcome for Cassie x

Liz
20-Nov-11, 20:16
How many times has it been said " leave it to the people that know what they're doing" or "leave it to the experts". You're right of course, myself and my family did not know what we were doing when our dog headed straight towards a dual carriageway, apart from the fact through sheer determination and my mother getting bitten (which was a small price to pay), we had our dog back within 30 minutes, not two weeks and counting. My dog was terrified for half an hour, this dog has been terrified for two weeks now, ask your "experts" what that's going to do to her long term. In future, if you do'nt want help - do'nt plaster it over the Org, and then get defensive when people try to help.

I take it you are referring to my comments? If so I was not being 'defensive' about people trying to help but annoyed at the remarks which suggested that nothing was being done to resuce Cassie which, I can assure you,is far from the truth!

You have no idea what a nervous dog Cassie is and how much effort has been put into trying to catch her and this has been hampered by people frightening her and causing her to run. Your case was completely different as your mother was chasing her own dog and I'm glad the outcome was good.
Cassie's owner isn't here so it's up to others to try to get her.

We are extremely grateful to everyone who is keeping an eye out for her and reporting sightings.

Moira
20-Nov-11, 20:32

It's been said several times cptdodger and I will say it again. Please do not try to approach Cassie directly, if you spot her then report the time and location to Cassie's carers and/or the Dog Warden.

There is a huge difference between the circumstances of your dog going AWOL for 1/2 an hour and Cassie being on the loose for 2 weeks. As has already been mentioned, Cassie is a rescue dog. Her owners are abroad dealing with distressing family circumstances and she is unfamiliar with her temporary carers and also her surroundings.

There have been several occasions over the past two weeks when the dedicated folk, who do know what they are doing, have been on the brink of the successful capture of Cassie. Their patient efforts have been thwarted by other folk, albeit well-meaning, rushing in and spooking her again.

Cassie's carers do want help, of course they do. That's why it's been emphasised that if anyone spots Cassie then they should not try to approach her. What they should do is report Cassie's location to her carers and the Dog Warden.

Carers 07899 784422 or 01955 606384.
Dog Warden 01955 607737

Incognit0
20-Nov-11, 20:38
If this was my dog I'd be livid!

Liz
20-Nov-11, 20:56

Who would you be livid with?

Moira
20-Nov-11, 20:57

If this was my dog I'd be in Canada dealing with the terminal illness of a close relative totally unaware of what's happening in Caithness....

starfish
20-Nov-11, 21:05
thought the owners had been told about it

cptdodger
20-Nov-11, 21:51
Excuse me Moira, the only reason my dog was "awol" for 30 minutes, and only 30 minutes running back and forward across a dual carriageway, was because we never let her out our sight when she bolted. We had to put ourselves in danger to get her - which we did. Liz - I never said - nothing was being done - at all. And I'm afraid you are wrong about my dog being different, how can I put this - if she had been human, for want of a better word she would have been retarded. The reason she ran, was because she did'nt recognise any of us, it was not until my mother grabbed her and my dog bit her, did she realise who we were.

Moira
20-Nov-11, 22:32
Excuse me Moira, the only reason my dog was "awol" for 30 minutes, and only 30 minutes running back and forward across a dual carriageway, was because we never let her out our sight when she bolted. We had to put ourselves in danger to get her - which we did. Liz - I never said - nothing was being done - at all. And I'm afraid you are wrong about my dog being different, how can I put this - if she had been human, for want of a better word she would have been retarded. The reason she ran, was because she did'nt recognise any of us, it was not until my mother grabbed her and my dog bit her, did she realise who we were.

Consider yourself excused cptdodger. You are still failing to see the difference here. I'm not quite sure if this is deliberate or not.

There is a difference between a dual carriageway and the dunes of a beach. There is also a difference between a family pet running off and members of that family pursuing her as opposed to a rescue dog arriving in a strange environment and having temporary carers trying to entice her back to safety.

As to your penultimate sentence, I won't debate that point with you.

This thread is about Cassie and hopefully, her safe return to her owners.

Cassie the dog
20-Nov-11, 23:05
Cassie is in Wick tonight. My husband and I have just spent two hours walking round the town and laying trails for her. We have both been within feet of her but she only runs from us. We followed her into Tolbooth Lane - we had left the gates and door open and laid food trails etc. and she chose to not come in. She headed for King George's playing fields. Please do not attempt to chase her. She is on familiar ground now and we can only hope that she chooses to return to us.
Any sightings are still very helpful.

carasmam
20-Nov-11, 23:23
Fingers crossed x

Liz
20-Nov-11, 23:50
Have you let the dog warden know as she might be able to set a trap in your garden? Really, really hope you get her soon.

Dadie
20-Nov-11, 23:54
If possible leave the gate and door open tonight!
You might get a suprise in the morning.
(go round the back and close the gate before looking in the house)
Use a calming aid such as serene um or valarian extract on her to combat the cortisol stress hormone (which I was suggesting to use on her when running) as it is useful to combating stress and will aid her recovery....or if not caught yet use in doping her food....It will help her think more about what she is donig rather than just panic help panic going through her mind....
Its not a sedative/tranq it just lowers the cortisol levels...making "thinking more receptive"

Moira
21-Nov-11, 00:21
Just back from a wee walk around the area Cassie was last spotted in after phoning her carers. No show, sorry.

I set hubby off in the opposite direction with our dog, nothing there either.

Cassie is coming closer to "home". Here's hoping for a better result tomorrow.; :-)

Cassie the dog
21-Nov-11, 08:45
In spite of having left the gate and shed open with food and Cassie's own bed and other things, there is no sight of her this morning.

cuddlepop
21-Nov-11, 11:31
In spite of having left the gate and shed open with food and Cassie's own bed and other things, there is no sight of her this morning.

Thats a pity maybe she's found a "den" somewhere else,hopefully she'll be reunited with her owner soon.

dragonfly
21-Nov-11, 11:44
she's getting close so thats a comfort and maybe a sign that she's ready to give up the chase, hopefully the lure of food will help get her caught......look here everyday in the hope that she is

starfish
21-Nov-11, 21:28
any more updates

porshiepoo
21-Nov-11, 21:53

While I completely understand where you are coming from the situations are very different.
Your dog was being chased by people it knew and saw as its pack, the odds were stacked in your favour. That's not to play down the trauma you all went through, I can hardly imagine what it must have been like.
Cassies owner isn't here and she's been chased / followed /tailed by a hoard of well meaning strangers. She has no reason to trust these strangers!
I completely understand your frustration especially when there's an animals safety at risk and I know how you would like to just get out there with a plan to get her home safely, as would I, BUT we have to do what is best for Cassie and I honestly believe that it's being handled correctly.

I just hope this weather holds out until cassie is home safe.

swoosh
21-Nov-11, 23:32
Just spotted her on shore lane headed over bridge past fire station shes rapid

Liz
21-Nov-11, 23:57
Oh Cassie where are you going now girl? :(

I've passed on your sighting to the dog warden. She certainly is rapid and that's what is making it so hard to track her.

If only she knew we mean her no harm.

purplelady
22-Nov-11, 00:10
i th0ught her owner had been imformed maybe not keep looking on her hope she is home soon I know if she was my dog i would want to know hope cassie is home safe soon xxxxxxxx

swoosh
22-Nov-11, 00:24
Thanks Liz, I did text her carers as soon as I seen her. Its heart breaking knowing shes so frightened.

Liz
22-Nov-11, 00:31
Thanks Liz, I did text her carers as soon as I seen her. Its heart breaking knowing shes so frightened.

Her carers have gone away for a few days so best to contact the dog warden if you see her again. I would have taken a drive into the town but don't know where she'd be now. :(

It's really good that kind people like you are reporting sightings. :)

swoosh
22-Nov-11, 00:43
When I noticed her I did call her and she stopped and looked but then just carried on running I was then worried if I carried on following her she would run in front of vehicles. Its so difficult to know what to do to. So near yet so far.

Liz
22-Nov-11, 00:51
Oh I know your frustration but you did exactly the right thing.

swoosh
22-Nov-11, 00:54
How do we get in touch with dog warden, Just incase we are lucky enough to see her again?

Her carers have gone away for a few days so best to contact the dog warden if you see her again. I would have taken a drive into the town but don't know where she'd be now. :(

It's really good that kind people like you are reporting sightings. :)

Torvaig
22-Nov-11, 01:15
How do we get in touch with dog warden, Just incase we are lucky enough to see her again?

You have a private message.....

starfish
22-Nov-11, 15:43
now that cassie carers have gone away what happens if she is caught will she be going to kennels in a strange place and strange faces this will do her the world of good for a nervous dog i think not

Incognit0
22-Nov-11, 15:52
They've gone away?!?!?! Who are these people so I don't ever consider leaving an animal with them...

cptdodger
22-Nov-11, 16:56
While I completely understand where you are coming from the situations are very different.
Your dog was being chased by people it knew and saw as its pack, the odds were stacked in your favour. That's not to play down the trauma you all went through, I can hardly imagine what it must have been like.
Cassies owner isn't here and she's been chased / followed /tailed by a hoard of well meaning strangers. She has no reason to trust these strangers!
I completely understand your frustration especially when there's an animals safety at risk and I know how you would like to just get out there with a plan to get her home safely, as would I, BUT we have to do what is best for Cassie and I honestly believe that it's being handled correctly.

I just hope this weather holds out until cassie is home safe.

If you are going to comment on my post, check your facts. The reason my dog bolted was because (as explained) she did NOT recognise us. The reason we caught her was because we did not lose sight of her. The only difference in this scenario is, she was our dog, and not somebody elses we were supposed to be looking after. There is no way on this earth that my dog, or indeed anybody else's dog I was looking after would have been allowed to be left running around the countryside for this amount of time. And now it seems the "carers" have gone away for a few days, well I hope they have a nice time.

Torvaig
22-Nov-11, 18:58
I think we are getting away from the purpose of this thread. Cassie is missing; she is timid; she is in unknown territory for her BUT she is still alive and being seen and is obviously getting food and fresh water or she would have collapsed by now.

Folks are well-meaning with their suggestions, some of which I'm sure are helpful but the tone is now one of recrimination and blame without the full facts being known by the public in general.

Lets just keep our eyes open and report any sightings in order to keep tracks of where she goes during her flight. The dog warden and her helpers are planning her capture through food, trust and a softly, softly approach and although some don't agree with this, it is better than chasing and shouting which enforces Cassie's belief that humans can't be trusted.

Please, please no more recriminations on here, it is not helping.

The purpose of this thread is to be helpful, supportive and ready to help when asked.

Liz
22-Nov-11, 19:03
I didn't give the information that Cassie's carers are away for a few days to cause trouble but just in case folk were reporting sightings to them which couldn't be acted upon

Starfish she would be better in 'strange' kennels being fed and warm rather than roaming and, cptdodger, whilst I understand what you are saying I don't think you have any idea just how fast Cassie can go and how quickly she can 'disappear'! I've seen this with my own eyes.

starfish
22-Nov-11, 19:22
well perhaps she should have been put in kennels in the first place where the experts could care for her and not run out when the going gets tough

keisser
22-Nov-11, 19:45
I didn't give the information that Cassie's carers are away for a few days to cause trouble but just in case folk were reporting sightings to them which couldn't be acted upon

Starfish she would be better in 'strange' kennels being fed and warm rather than roaming and, cptdodger, whilst I understand what you are saying I don't think you have any idea just how fast Cassie can go and how quickly she can 'disappear'! I've seen this with my own eyes.

Liz - I have been watching this for the last 2 weeks I am not sure if you are the dog warden or not but you seem to be speaking on behalf of them - I have reported Cassie as being seen on two occassions in Keiss to the carers one of what you said you saw her in Ackergill at 12 oclock. Unless this dog is superfast she was seen standing in Robertson Crescent Keiss at that time as witnessed by myself and a friend. This secondary sighting which was of no help to the dog warden and other people looking for Cassie
Why is it that you said the other night in Freswick that fireworks had disturbed her when guy fawkes is long past and Freswick is a sparsely populated place is this just an excuse to blame other people for short falls as people are more than willing to help to catch Cassie

carasmam
22-Nov-11, 19:48
The fireworks were at Ackergill tower and she'd been seen in the area before them, no-one mentioned Freswick as far as I can remember.

Margaret M.
22-Nov-11, 20:20
It is heartwarming to see so much concern for Cassie and I join you all in hoping she surrenders soon.

I can hear fireworks from many miles away and since a dog's hearing is much sharper than a human's it makes little difference if the fireworks were set off in Freswick or Ackergill.

keisser
22-Nov-11, 20:30
If you read posts on page 8 its said the dog was last seen in Freswick, then the next post said that the fireworks had disturbed Cassie - where does it say that the fireworks had disturbed Cassie at Ackergill as i must have misunderstood it, unfortunately this seems to be the case on this forum - people reporting things that are not there. At the end of the day all we want is Cassie to be returned saftely, sorry if i have misunderstood this but it is a dogs life at risk.

dollycat
22-Nov-11, 20:46
Liz
Your inbox is full!

Liz
22-Nov-11, 20:49
Sorry folks I am just back from searching for Cassie and too tired to get caught up in arguments!

I will conserve my energy for looking for her.

Keisser I will say though that, yes, she can run superfast and I did, wrongly, think the fireworks at Ackergill tower had disturbed her as they were mega loud! No I am not the dog warden just someone who loves animals and wants to help find Cassie and giving all the support I can.

Liz
22-Nov-11, 20:57
Liz
Your inbox is full!

Sorry dollycat. Inbox now empty. :)

Margaret M.
22-Nov-11, 21:17
Sorry folks I am just back from searching for Cassie and too tired to get caught up in arguments!

Very wise, Liz, it's very obvious you are doing much to help.

keisser
22-Nov-11, 21:31

Keisser I will say though that, yes, she can run superfast and I did, wrongly, think the fireworks at Ackergill tower had disturbed her as they were me- ga loud! No I am not the dog warden just someone who loves animals and wants to help find Cassie and giving all the support I can.

Liz - I have no doubt that you have the dog's best interest at heart as I do. I am not critizing you as you are doing a good job looking for Cassie all we want to do is help to catch this lovely dog - I will not be posting any more comments on this forum about Cassie

Moira
23-Nov-11, 02:42
Thanks to everyone who is looking out for Cassie and please keep doing so. Unfortunately, the folk who were looking after Cassie are out of the Wick area at the moment.

Could anyone spotting Cassie please telephone the Dog Warden on 01955 607737 during normal office hours.

You can also post your sightings on this thread anytime or send me or Liz a Private Message. Several people will be following the thread but their personal contact details are not available for obvious reasons.

The whys, what-ifs & if-only's are not my main concern. Bringing Cassie back safe to her owner is. Thank you. :)

Liz
23-Nov-11, 11:07
I've just been told that a lovely couple are coming over from Orkney, where Cassie lives, to look for her.

They are taking their dog with them as Cassie gets on with it. She was last seen at Newtonhill in Wick but quite a few people went out last night to look for her but there was no sign.

So please, please everyone keep looking for her as the couple are only staying until teatime today. Once I get their mobile phone no I will post it here so that any sightings can be reported to them.

Thanks!!!!! :)

balto
23-Nov-11, 11:26
oh i hope they find her poor thing must be scared, just wish i had transport so i could help look for her , goodluck with todays search

cat
23-Nov-11, 11:29
hope her doggy friend helps. she was outside my house at newton last night and i hoped she would maybe settle as its so quiet,also my dogs are very friendly and hoped she would stay close by.no sign of her today tho.stay safe cassie!

mop top
23-Nov-11, 11:41
Alistair and his wife have arrived this morn from Orkney to try and find Cassie. i have told them places she has been seen most in ie beaches, gills bay, riverside, lowere pultney etc and also where she was seen last night. I was in Newton this morn when they phoned and did the old forest trail scanning all the fields as i went but no sign. she could basically be anywhere by now.

Please be extra vigilant today, and call if you see her. Alistairs mobile no is 07980698203, it would be really useful if you spot her to just stay back and try and keep her in sight or at least the direction she is headed so that they have a chance of getting there while she is still in the area.

We really need a lucky break please let today be the day

Liz
23-Nov-11, 12:39
It is so good that so many people care about Cassie and want her to be found.

As you say mop top, let's hope today is the day. I will be going into Wick later to have a look around but we need a fresh sighting to know where to look.

Liz
23-Nov-11, 12:41
Thanks to everyone who is looking out for Cassie and please keep doing so. Unfortunately, the folk who were looking after Cassie are out of the Wick area at the moment.

Could anyone spotting Cassie please telephone the Dog Warden on 01955 607737 during normal office hours.

You can also post your sightings on this thread anytime or send me or Liz a Private Message. Several people will be following the thread but their personal contact details are not available for obvious reasons.

The whys, what-ifs & if-only's are not my main concern. Bringing Cassie back safe to her owner is. Thank you. :)

Moira it would be best if people phoned in sightings as by the time someone picks it up via the forum or pm she could have moved on. As you know she moves superfast and disappears into thin air really quickly.

porshiepoo
23-Nov-11, 12:56
If you are going to comment on my post, check your facts. The reason my dog bolted was because (as explained) she did NOT recognise us. The reason we caught her was because we did not lose sight of her. The only difference in this scenario is, she was our dog, and not somebody elses we were supposed to be looking after. There is no way on this earth that my dog, or indeed anybody else's dog I was looking after would have been allowed to be left running around the countryside for this amount of time. And now it seems the "carers" have gone away for a few days, well I hope they have a nice time.

No actually you didn't say that the dog didn't recognise you, you stated that it ran straight past you!
Why on earth do you think the dog didn't recognise you? Dogs will recognise the scent of a person from miles away especially a GSD. Believe me, that dog recognised your scent, recognised your vocal and your form but it ran because it was scared!
The dog nipped through fear of the situation it was caught up in, heck, dogs will even turn on each other in heightened situations, it doesn't mean they don't recognise each other, it simply means they're reacting instinctively!
Thankfully you managed to keep your dog in sight, that's great and very commendable however Cassies situation is different and for whatever reason she manged to lose her carer. Cassie also has a different temperment and background to your dog and her fear will be exceptionally heightened, I imagine even her owners are going to have a tad of a a problem coaxing her back.

Whatever the cause of this situation there is no point comparing with other peoples lost dog, every situation is different and every dog is different and with the best marathon runner in the world on board it will be exceptionally hard to keep up with this dog. Just look at the distance she's covered!

I'll be in the area briefly today so will put the number in my phone of both the warden and the mobile number given, hopefully I'll get a sighting at some point.

Is Cassie still wearing her harness?

carasmam
23-Nov-11, 12:58
Yes she still has her harness on porshiepoo.

cptdodger
23-Nov-11, 13:44

Yes, I did, the above was written on the 20th of November at 20:51, She did not have the mental ability to recognise us.

cptdodger
23-Nov-11, 13:56
This will be the last time I post on this thread. I do not have to defend myself or my actions, my dog was not missing for over two weeks, cold, wet, hungry and scared to death. I would not have allowed that. So I will leave it up to you, "the experts" and hope you find the dog, before her owners return

Liz
23-Nov-11, 14:23
Does anyone know of dog friendly accommodation in Wick?

Alistair and his wife can't stay in Wick tonight as they have their own dog with them and Cassie is more likely to come out from hiding after dark.

I'm afraid I don't have room or they could have stayed with me.

wildcat69
23-Nov-11, 14:27
Yes, I did, the above was written on the 20th of November at 20:51, She did not have the mental ability to recognise us.

Its impossible for a dog to suffer any form of true mental retardation as of which we associate with humans, they do however suffer from many forms of behavioural problems which your dog displayed when it ran from you and only let its self be caught with force biting in the process.

Cassie is a rescue dog from an undisclosed background so god alone knows what damage was done BEFORE her new owners took her on, due to unforeseen circumstances they had to leave their dog with carers who CANNOT be blamed for the dog getting loose, you yourself must know if a dog wants to bolt away from you then it will.......your dog was caught with good luck and probably because it wasn't in WIDE OPEN spaces to run !!.

softly softly is the ONLY way to catch cassie as any other means of capture would do so much MORE damage than has already been done.
She is NOT being starved and ignored, she is being watched by the county and the good people in it and is also being fed or she would have dropped with hunger a LONG time ago......

you cannot judge this situation the same as your own one, and to be honest i would be suspect of a dog that WASNT happy to see its owners after however long a stay in kennels

porshiepoo
23-Nov-11, 15:56

My bad, I did not read that post. Apologies to you!

Have to say you're still incorrect though lol. Believe me your dog recognised you. Don't make the mistake of thinking a dog communicates the same way we do!

Anyhoo enough on that, this post has to be focused on Cassie and getting her home safely!
I was in Wick briefly today but didn't see a thing but then my knowledge of Wick is Zero so I may well have been in the completely wrong place to where she's been seen.
Hopefully she'll be found safe before tomorrow night but if not I'll take a trip round Wick in the evening.

Keep up the good work Liz, Moira and all others helping Cassie.

Liz
23-Nov-11, 19:22
Well I'm afraid the couple who came over from Orkney to look for Cassie didn't have any luck. :(

The problem is that, since moving into the town, Cassie is coming out when it's dark.
Porshiepoo it is good of you to look for her and there is no such thing as a 'wrong place' right now as she could be anywhere!

Just wish we could get another sighting to know where to look.

Torvaig
23-Nov-11, 19:28
Does anyone know of dog friendly accommodation in Wick?

Alistair and his wife can't stay in Wick tonight as they have their own dog with them and Cassie is more likely to come out from hiding after dark.

I'm afraid I don't have room or they could have stayed with me.

Try "Impala" in Broadhaven Rd., Wick 01955 60 2194

Liz
23-Nov-11, 20:28
Try "Impala" in Broadhaven Rd., Wick 01955 60 2194

Thanks hun but afraid they couldn't stay tonight due to work committments. :( Really desperate for a sighting now!

Liz
23-Nov-11, 23:50
This is the first day since Cassie disappeared that there haven't been any sightings. :(

We just don't know where to look now so really hope someone spots her tomorrow to give us a lead again. Pardon the pun!lol

I have to say I am really heartened by all the very kind orgers, and many local folk, who are helping to look for Cassie. It restores your faith in humanity. :) So a huge thanks to you all.

I really hope we can share good news soon!

Moira
24-Nov-11, 00:16
<snip>

I really hope we can share good news soon!

Me too Liz.

Today was a huge disappointment despite everyone's best efforts.

Tomorrow is another and different day........

Stay safe & Well Cassie :)

Liz
24-Nov-11, 00:28
Yes we were so hopeful for a result when the couple from Orkney came over but a shame they couldn't have stayed overnight.

Let's hope there is a breakthrough tomorrow. Night night Cassie dear. xxx

Sarah
24-Nov-11, 01:16
The poor girl :( I can't imagine how upsetting it must be to see her so often and not be able to get near her.

Does anyone know when her owners are coming back?

annemarie482
24-Nov-11, 01:18
just copied this off facebook!

"I have just seen the missing dog cassie across from the mountain dew bar on the green, couldnt get near her and dont know who to contact"

also

"she kept barking at me and if tried to get to near she went to run and didnt want to spook her"

have given her the carers phone number, dog wardens no for tomorrow and have pm'd liz , just a shame its so late on!

krackenkid
24-Nov-11, 01:57
cassie was seen on the brae head opposite the mountain dew at approx 12:40am tonight will take a drive up there later see if i can see her and report back

porshiepoo
24-Nov-11, 09:36
I haven't a clue where any of those thing are. lol.
Could someone tell me what side of town these places are please?

jac1791
24-Nov-11, 09:38
Pultney, right above the harbour

krackenkid
24-Nov-11, 11:50
i drove around for about an hour lastnight and never spotted her, even went out towards newton hill but nothing, my friend works in the mountain dew so i will ask her to keep a look out tonight, whats the best number for us to call if we do spot her?

Liz
24-Nov-11, 12:53
I am so glad she has been spotted as was getting worried!

She is definitely going into hiding during the day and coming out after dark to look for food.

Krackenkid it was ever so good of you to go looking for her so late. Or should I say early?lol You did exactly the right thing in not spooking her. If others had done the same we might have had her by now.
I'll pm you my phone no which you can call anytime.

What is really worrying me is the parade around town tomorrow night as it might be going around the area she is hiding. :(

Her owner will be back in Orkney tomorrow and I'm hoping she will be coming over here on Saturday. I have told the couple who came over yesterday that Cassie is coming out in the dark and that would be the best time for her owner to go looking for her.

Thanks again everyone!!!!

wicker
24-Nov-11, 16:54
It was myself that spotted her last night when walking home from work, still very lively, maybe she taking shelter at the back of the sheds at harbour or with the boats that was recently taken out the marina. i will continue to keep an eye peeled and will also mention it to locals who regularry take their dogs out walking in that area

Liz
24-Nov-11, 19:56
Cheers wicker.

I would urge people to not go actively looking for her as really think this might make her feel hunted and cause her to run again.

We have a fair idea where she is and doing everything to get her, or at least keep her there until her owner gets here.

Please just keep a look out for her and report sightings. :)

kimint
24-Nov-11, 22:58
she was spotted tonight about 8.30pm-9pm in henrietta st heading up the road towards the chip shop, did not have a number to contact so informed the police hopefully they will pass message on to dog warden

Liz
24-Nov-11, 23:40
Oh no!!!! We were so hoping she would stay where she was until her owner came over.

Cassie girl where on earth have you gone?!!! :(

purplelady
25-Nov-11, 00:51
so glad her owner is comming home hopefully she will be home safe really soon xxxxxx

Liz
25-Nov-11, 01:06
Just back from looking for but no sign. :( Put out food in different places so hope she gets some as the poor mite will be starving.

She'll have been out scavenging for food hence being at the chip shop.

Thanks a lot for contacting me kimint. We are relying on everyone to report sightings so that Cassie's owner knows where to look.

Hoping for good news at the weekend. :)

cuddlepop
25-Nov-11, 17:52
Cassie appears to be able to fend for herself so please Liz take care of your own health.

Weathers turned really nasty so maybe she'll be wanting to come nearer home soon.

I remember someone telling me never to chase a dog as they only run away faster.My own Connie was a rescue dog and ran away from me once when she got spooked by traffic.
Somehow I managed to run in the opposite direction and she came back.

It is really,really hard to be "patient" but sometimes you need to be.

Moira
25-Nov-11, 19:02
<snip>
We are relying on everyone to report sightings so that Cassie's owner knows where to look.

Hoping for good news at the weekend. :)

Me too Liz. It's been a very frustrating time for everyone involved. Keeping fingers, paws & everything else crossed for this weekend. :)

Liz
25-Nov-11, 19:32
Cassie appears to be able to fend for herself so please Liz take care of your own health.

Weathers turned really nasty so maybe she'll be wanting to come nearer home soon.

I remember someone telling me never to chase a dog as they only run away faster.My own Connie was a rescue dog and ran away from me once when she got spooked by traffic.
Somehow I managed to run in the opposite direction and she came back.

It is really,really hard to be "patient" but sometimes you need to be.

Aw thanks hun. Yes I totally agree with not 'chasing' a dog as it makes them feel hunted. I feel this has been part of the problem with Cassie and why she keeps moving.

I know I keep repeating myself (I used to be a parrot but I'm alright now, I'm alright now! :D) but all we need are sightings to let us know what area of the town Cassie is in to make it easier for her owner to look for her.

Me too Liz. It's been a very frustrating time for everyone involved. Keeping fingers, paws & everything else crossed for this weekend. :)

Yes I am very hopeful of a reunion and the sooner the better! :)

Liz
25-Nov-11, 19:52
I'm pleased to say there was another sighting this afternoon. Think Cassie may be getting a bit 'bolder' as she usually stays in hiding during the day.

I've contacted her carers to ask them to put food out as it wasn't very far from where they live.

Torvaig
25-Nov-11, 21:44
Looking good Liz; fingers crossed! x

Liz
25-Nov-11, 23:44
Everything crossed Torvaig! :D xx

Liz
26-Nov-11, 00:12
I've just been told that Cassie's owner, Bobbi, will be arriving in Gills about 9am tomorrow.

So any sightings should now been passed on to her. Her mobile no is 07795147650

The poor lady is distraught so lets all pray that she will be reunited with her beloved Cassie soon.

Sarah
26-Nov-11, 00:36
I hope Cassie will come to her. I worry that its been so long she might not recognise her if she is running unless she gets close and gets a smell of her.

Liz
26-Nov-11, 00:45
They have a very close bond Sarah so really hoping Cassie will come to her. She was obviously going out to Gills to look for her.

Also, it's only 3 weeks since they've been apart.

Moira
26-Nov-11, 00:48
I've just been told that Cassie's owner, Bobbi, will be arriving in Gills about 9am tomorrow.

So any sightings should now been passed on to her. Her mobile no is 07795147650

The poor lady is distraught so lets all pray that she will be reunited with her beloved Cassie soon.

That's great news Liz, thanks. Needless to say I didn't spot Cassie earlier when I walked around the North part of Wick.

Better luck tomorrow. :)

Moira
26-Nov-11, 00:54
I hope Cassie will come to her. I worry that its been so long she might not recognise her if she is running unless she gets close and gets a smell of her.

It's been 3 weeks Sarah, not 3 years. Positive thinking all the way....... :)

Liz
26-Nov-11, 00:55
Moira she is never seen when she is being looked for !:lol:

I have to confess my only fear is the fireworks which were set off tonight. Really hoping she was far enough away from them and would just take cover rather than run like she did last time.

Maybe they weren't as loud as those put off at Ackergill Tower which were like flipping exocet missiles!:confused

Liz
26-Nov-11, 00:58

Yes let's all send out positive vibes!!! :)

Liz
26-Nov-11, 01:34
Just had a phone call (thanks Jane!) to say that she saw Cassie at the North School going up towards the Industrial Estate.

I am really chuffed that she is still in town!

Stay where you are Cassie girl. Your Mum is coming to get you! :)

Moira
26-Nov-11, 01:41
Hubby is just back from walking our dog through the industrial estate and saw not a sign of Cassie.

Stay safe & sound until your Mum comes pick you up tomorrow. :)

dollycat
26-Nov-11, 09:55
Will the ferry still be operating with todays weather?
Going to resist looking on here now until much later to give Bobbi a chance to look for her!
Please, let it be the last day of Cassies adventures today, the rascal thats shes been!!!

Sarah
26-Nov-11, 10:15

I realise that ;) I was just worried that if she is scared of being chased after living rough for so long, she might not even go to her owner.

Of course I am hoping she will, just a worry I had. Doesn't really matter, its not like it has anything to do with me being over on the other coast anyway!

Torvaig
26-Nov-11, 13:16
I realise that ;) I was just worried that if she is scared of being chased after living rough for so long, she might not even go to her owner.

Of course I am hoping she will, just a worry I had. Doesn't really matter, its not like it has anything to do with me being over on the other coast anyway!

Ah but Sarah, all good vibes are welcome! Cassie will recognise Mum ok; there is a strong bond between them and dogs have long memories!

Just hope that no-one goes rushing about trying to catch her now that her Mum is here. If she is left to it with our local bods as support nearby, there will surely be a happy outcome today.

Keep sending the vibes folks; keep sending the vibes and let Cassie find her mum.....

Liz
26-Nov-11, 13:31
Yes Torvaig we need good positive vibes; prayers; visualisation...... Whatever it takes! :D

It is good that Cassie has been staying, more or less, in the same area of town for a few days now. I think she must have only gone to Newton Forest because something spooked her and she then came back into town.

She had exactly the same pattern whilst she was in the country ie had a base where she would take off from but then come back.

She's a very clever dog and a real survivor.

Come on girl we all care about you very much and just want to get you home!!! xxx

porshiepoo
26-Nov-11, 15:01
Keep looking hoping for some good news!
Fingers crossedxxxxxx

Liz
26-Nov-11, 15:08
Well Cassie is back out in the country!!!!

Her owner is on her way so hope and pray that Cassie stays where she is and answers her Mum's call!

Very hopeful of a reunion as we know the route she takes and they aren't far behind. Really hope to share good news with you soon but you'll probably hear me cheering first!lol

Torvaig
26-Nov-11, 15:18
Cassie, if you have any sense - give yourself up! The weather is wet and cold and your Mum is looking for you to give you all the hugs you have been missing....

Blondie
26-Nov-11, 15:30
Fingers crossed for a happy ending today then!

Cassie the dog
26-Nov-11, 16:17
Cassie's owner is up at Gills Bay following a sighting at Auckengill about two o'clock. Nothing so far. Any up to the minute sightings really appreciated in the next 48 hours.

07899 784422

Thank you everybody for keeping an eye out for Cassie.

porshiepoo
26-Nov-11, 17:05
Are you still needing people to get out looking? I can take a run up to Wick anytime? I just don't want to get in the way if everything is under control!

Liz
26-Nov-11, 19:25
I'm a nervous wreck!!!!

Cassie your adventure is over so please go to your Mum now!