PDA

View Full Version : boy racers in thurso...

toffee_pie
06-Nov-11, 00:37
I guess these lads have nothing else to do huh...:eek:

gleeber
06-Nov-11, 01:04
I heard it on the grapevine that the orgs Sandy1 was a boy racer in Lybster 70 years ago.

Dadie
06-Nov-11, 01:08
Surprised they can still do the laps with the price of petrol...
But they have done it for years...and at least if they are driving they are not drinking!

donnick
06-Nov-11, 02:42
there is nowt else for these kids to do socially so it does not surprise me one bit that they are still doing the circuit round the streets

octane
06-Nov-11, 03:50
Here we go again, gets comfy

http://www.ramsrule.com/herd/mods/smileys/images/couchtater.gifhttp://stusgarage.com/images/smilies/popcorn.gif

sids
06-Nov-11, 07:45
Doesn't matter what else they have to do. They enjoy doing the boy racing.

Gronnuck
06-Nov-11, 09:46
there is nowt else for these kids to do socially so it does not surprise me one bit that they are still doing the circuit round the streets

You mean they are socially inept and can't think beyond their own exhibitionism.:eek:

sids
06-Nov-11, 13:16
socially inept and can't think beyond their own exhibitionism.:eek:

How very unlike the life of a Caithness.org contributor.

Leanne
06-Nov-11, 13:22
At least they have an interest in something, have something that they can take pride in. It teaches them a sense of responsibility and a value for money as they soon learn just how much it costs to run a 'muscle' car. At least they are doing this and not 'joy' riding...

Phill
06-Nov-11, 13:37
I guess these lads have nothing else to do huh...:eek:Do they need to get themselves girlfriends?!!! :Razz

Ricanna
06-Nov-11, 20:00
Do they need to get themselves girlfriends?!!! :Razz

Only ones who are willing to share the petrol, I would say

toffee_pie
06-Nov-11, 21:46
it gets a bit tedious tbh, I notice the same cars over and over again.. and they trying to impress the wimmins are something.. wouldnt mind if any of the cars were 2Litres+ :D

"sense of responsibility "

erm, not sure what part of responsible driving around the streets of thurso in 1.4 litre cars with blow off valves entails..

ducati
06-Nov-11, 23:10
it gets a bit tedious tbh, I notice the same cars over and over again.. and they trying to impress the wimmins are something.. wouldnt mind if any of the cars were 2Litres+ :D

"sense of responsibility "

erm, not sure what part of responsible driving around the streets of thurso in 1.4 litre cars with blow off valves entails..

Do they really need blow off valves? I just open the window. :eek:

Moira
06-Nov-11, 23:30
Do they need to get themselves girlfriends?!!! :Razz

Of course they do Phill, and then they marry them........

35 years later this really ancient couple, who are related to Methusela, realise that their time is nearly up. And nothing much has changed, really....... :eek:

poppett
07-Nov-11, 07:50
Are there only boy racers now. In my day there were girl racers too, with time trials between Thurso Weigh Inn and Rosebank Hotel in Wick, also time trials in Inverness from the Caley Hotel out round loch duntelchaig (sp) and back and the best of all before the bridges and causeways the Chip Inn in Inverness to the Rosebank Hotel. No noisy cars for the sake of it either, quite a few bog standard mini`s with upgrade engine to 1100cc or 1275GT if you were really lucky. The trick was for the car to look simple but go like the clappers.

ducati
07-Nov-11, 08:46
Are there only boy racers now. In my day there were girl racers too, with time trials between Thurso Weigh Inn and Rosebank Hotel in Wick, also time trials in Inverness from the Caley Hotel out round loch duntelchaig (sp) and back and the best of all before the bridges and causeways the Chip Inn in Inverness to the Rosebank Hotel. No noisy cars for the sake of it either, quite a few bog standard mini`s with upgrade engine to 1100cc or 1275GT if you were really lucky. The trick was for the car to look simple but go like the clappers.

I'm with you poppett, my Janspeed Honda Prelude would beat all commers. :cool: Although it did have truly horrible wheels and altogether too many embarrassing stripes!

mi16
07-Nov-11, 10:57
there are decidedly less folk touring the town these days than when I was at it, there used to be loads of folk then.
Always good for a race or two also.

Cloud Puncher
07-Nov-11, 11:52

There is a young girl who lives near me who is a girl racer, her car is pink, really pink with "Hello Kitty" decals and she is often seen spinning around. But then I cant talk as my car is lime green.

mi16
07-Nov-11, 13:30
at the end of the day though, if both the car and driver is fully road legal, then what on earth is the problem.
Stop moaning about it.

Koi
07-Nov-11, 13:42
Every driver chooses what they burn their fuel driving to be it just in circles through the town. As long as they are not doing anything illegal then doesn't really matter.

eriba47
07-Nov-11, 13:58
The drivers may be having fun but I don't think anybody else is. Some of the noisy exhaust systems must be illegal.

mi16
07-Nov-11, 14:07
what makes you say this?
have you measured the decibel level of these offensive vehicles to determine the legality?

ducati
07-Nov-11, 14:17
what makes you say this?
have you measured the decibel level of these offensive vehicles to determine the legality?

I think these days pretty much any fiddling with the exhaust system is illegal.It certainly is on a motorcycle. Pretty much any aftermarket pipe you can buy is labelled 'Not for Road Use'.

mi16
07-Nov-11, 14:53
not the case for cars.
loads of road legal aftermarket systems on the go.

eriba47
07-Nov-11, 19:13
Some of the noisiest exhausts must be illegal due to the awful din they make. They are certainly anti-social.

mi16
07-Nov-11, 19:38
so is smoking, farting or karaoke