PDA

View Full Version : Why is there no investment in the local economy?

Kenn
04-Nov-11, 12:31
I am some what bemused as to why there is so little forward thinking and investment is the local economy when there are several oppurtunities that come to mind.
I see huge amounts of timber being trucked and shipped out, has any one considered having a dedicated saw mill that could supply the where with all for making timber frame houses, for the miles of domestic fencing and the like, perhaps even a pulp mill or has this been tried and failed in the past?
I know farmers who throw away fleeces as they are not considered to be of any worth. Why is The Wool Board not using them to make the excellent insulation where they are in abundance??
The folk down at Holyrood keep on about their green credentials but appart from a rash of windfarms and the promise of tidal power they are missing more than a trick or two.
The county has some of the best wild life in the country, where are the organised field trips for birders and photographers?
There is a rare diversity of archeological sites but again little is done to promote them.
Tourism seems to be regarded with the view that it folk decide to visit, then that's fine but little that I can find encourages them to come here.
Is it a case that with the golden geese of Dounreay and Vulcan that there has been just been general lethargy about looking to the future?

weezer 316
04-Nov-11, 14:45
Im pretty sure there is massive investment in the local economy! This is one of the richest ares in Britain with employment at just over a third of the national average at 3.5%!

Torvaig
04-Nov-11, 16:18
Lizz, have you looked at the column "Caithness" under the header of the org? There is a lot of information there but I'm not sure how up to date it is.

There are certainly plenty diverse groups and if you can find a valid telephone number or link there may be information of the kind you are looking for to put you in touch with like-minded people including archeologists, wildlife enthusiasts and photographers.

There may also be a way to instigate a new group covering your ideas as often plans drift into oblivion through the lack of people who have the knowledge, interest and energy to guide a good plan forward AND to sustain it!

A word with your local councillor may be a good idea as he/she will be more aware of who, where and when.

I wish you luck Liz and hopefully someone from the listed groups will get in touch to inform you of any that are still on the go and who may have up to date details of useful contacts.

Kenn
04-Nov-11, 19:28
I am aware that there are many local groups ranging across a myriad of topics and have already joined three.
The point I was trying to make Torvaig is that the county needs new incentives as both Dounreay and Vulcan wind down their operations and diversification is needed now or within a few years there will be another exodus of people from the area.

ducati
04-Nov-11, 19:42
I am aware that there are many local groups ranging across a myriad of topics and have already joined three.
The point I was trying to make Torvaig is that the county needs new incentives as both Dounreay and Vulcan wind down their operations and diversification is needed now or within a few years there will be another exodus of people from the area.

Unless incentives are enough to negate the rubbish communications and proximity to markets, I can't see many large scale employers moving their operations here, can you?

However, with a container base, a motorway link to London and highspeed broadband, the sky would be the limit. :D

david
04-Nov-11, 21:26
Unless incentives are enough to negate the rubbish communications and proximity to markets, I can't see many large scale employers moving their operations here, can you?

However, with a container base, a motorway link to London and highspeed broadband, the sky would be the limit. :D

And just like any other county.....

smithp
04-Nov-11, 21:47
My carpenter friend tells me the forestry in Scotland is generally not suitable for construction - the climate here grows the wood faster than in Finland/Sweden and it is basically not strong enough to meet building standards.
With regard to investment if the Scottish govt. follows the example of the UK as a whole they will wait to Caithness collapses before they formulate a 'regeneration plan'. The ideas touted at the moment will have a minimal effect.

oldmarine
04-Nov-11, 22:55
I am some what bemused as to why there is so little forward thinking and investment is the local economy when there are several oppurtunities that come to mind.
I see huge amounts of timber being trucked and shipped out, has any one considered having a dedicated saw mill that could supply the where with all for making timber frame houses, for the miles of domestic fencing and the like, perhaps even a pulp mill or has this been tried and failed in the past?
I know farmers who throw away fleeces as they are not considered to be of any worth. Why is The Wool Board not using them to make the excellent insulation where they are in abundance??
The folk down at Holyrood keep on about their green credentials but appart from a rash of windfarms and the promise of tidal power they are missing more than a trick or two.
The county has some of the best wild life in the country, where are the organised field trips for birders and photographers?
There is a rare diversity of archeological sites but again little is done to promote them.
Tourism seems to be regarded with the view that it folk decide to visit, then that's fine but little that I can find encourages them to come here.
Is it a case that with the golden geese of Dounreay and Vulcan that there has been just been general lethargy about looking to the future?
Liz: You make a good point in your posting. I have been watching the economy souring all over the world. It does not appear to be getting any better.

roadbowler
04-Nov-11, 23:34
My carpenter friend tells me the forestry in Scotland is generally not suitable for construction - the climate here grows the wood faster than in Finland/Sweden and it is basically not strong enough to meet building standards.With regard to investment if the Scottish govt. follows the example of the UK as a whole they will wait to Caithness collapses before they formulate a 'regeneration plan'. The ideas touted at the moment will have a minimal effect.yes, you are bang on the money. Think it is mostly sitka spruce and lodgepole pine in caithness plantations and as both these species are native to north west north america and when grown in our milder and wetter climate they get too big too fast meaning the wood is susceptible to rot quick, increased insect damage and it is overall weaker because it grows too quick making it spindly instead of stouter and stronger. Maybe we need to be planting european larch then we will have a much more valuable product?

Kenn
05-Nov-11, 00:01
Thank you for explaining that the timber quality is not high grade enough for building purposes, that answers one question.
That's a good suggestion roadbowler and I wonder if the forestry are thinking along those lines, will have to do some research on that one.

roadbowler
05-Nov-11, 00:37
hi lizz, fortunately i think they may be coming round to it, i see token efforts of larch about but, i think the reason they planted the species they have is because these species do grow so fast here albeit only producing the less valuable products, fencing, wood chips etc. It is maybe better value than growing the higher quality species that take twice as long to reach maturity. Seems crazy that we send the wood to finland for chipping and they send us the wood for building tho! But, yes, i understand and agree what you're saying about a local sawmill. Dunrobin saw mill in golspie produces some quality local products at decent prices.

Frith
05-Nov-11, 00:41
Um, erm, isn't vulcan getting knocked on the 'ead?