PDA

View Full Version : Fed Up with BT prices

Happy Guy
04-Nov-11, 00:58
I'm thinking of giving up my landline and using a mobile for calls and a 3 mobile dongle for internet.Has anyone any idea how 3 dongle broadband works is Keiss? is it any good?

pumkin
04-Nov-11, 09:27
We used an o2 dongle and a vodafone dongle in Thurso and connection was painfully slow. I imagine the 3 dongle wouldn't be much different in Thurso or Keiss. We ended up with BT.

Nick Noble
04-Nov-11, 10:51
Well a quick check on the 3 coverage checker shows no 3g broadband coverage in the area, and no plans for any:

Mobile Broadband coverage in...
-
KW1 4XA
Delete

There is currently no coverage in this area but we're working hard to bring our network to as much of the UK as possible. Please check back with us in the future to see if there is coverage in this area.

http://www.three.co.uk/_standalone/Coverage_checker_mbb?maptypeForm=mbb

Without 3g coverage it will be horrendously slow and horrendously expensive!

Thinking that last bit through, I'm talking rubbish, as far as I know without 3g you won't get connected with a dongle.

andrew.bowles30
05-Nov-11, 01:43
I've got one and it costs a fortune

dx100uk
05-Nov-11, 04:07
what are you paying for BT?

24/7 free calls <1hr
7p to mobile
BB @8Mbps
and line rental for me is £27.99PCM

dx

starfish
05-Nov-11, 10:47
i used to use t mobile in keiss £15 per month any useage but really slow some programmes would not run

purplelady
05-Nov-11, 12:52
3 mobile dongles do not work in wick so imagne keiss is the same xxxxxxx

Happy Guy
05-Nov-11, 15:00
Thanks to everyone who replied - seems as though a dongle is not the answer. Currently pay just over £30 a month for bt line and Broadband. I don't really need phone, but of course you cant have BB without line from BT. 3 offer 15MB broadband usage per month for £15, which would reduce my costs by 50% - but only if it worked - which it seems from comments posted, that it wont. At least that's saved me from making a big mistake. Thanks again

Koi
05-Nov-11, 15:44
Have you contaced bt about perhaps changing your plan happyguy? You could get the very basic one which would reduce your costs.

secrets in symmetry
05-Nov-11, 15:47
I don't pay anything at all to BT, and that suits me fine. :cool:

emb123
05-Nov-11, 16:05
don't bother in Keiss. The only network that gets a half decent signal is O2 and it is GPRS only. Basically reckon on about 5 mins for eBay to load after repeated timeouts (failures).
It does depend which part of Keiss you are in of course but O2 have the best coverage in Keiss imo. Orange works in places and Vodafone is a bit hit or miss. I'm in the cresent & I get excellent O2 coverage in my house but a few houses down the street there is nothing. Coverage is variable.
I suggest you try a 'manual roam' on your phone... disable automatic 'operator' selection and get is to see what networks are available. It will give you a rough idea what networks are available where you live. The only network to provide 3G/HSDPA coverage in Caithness (which is really what you need if you don't want to lose your temper with the thing) is O2 and only within the centre of Wick.
Basically, as I said at the start, I wouldn't recommend it unless you are very patient and only need email and little else. Could you negotiate with a neighbour to help with their internet costs if they let you piggy-back their connection ? Good luck!

Tugmistress
05-Nov-11, 17:32
We use a 3 dongle in ormlie and it works great - HG take our dongle and try it.