PDA

View Full Version : Benefit fraud

weezer 316
03-Nov-11, 14:32
Interesting wee article, apparently costs us £4bn a year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/panorama/hi/front_page/newsid_9630000/9630233.stm

John Little
03-Nov-11, 15:07
Reports suggest that this year’s UK bank bonuses will total £7bn

http://www.unison.org.uk/acrobat/19584.pdf

"Bonuses".

Not "Pay"

Corrie 3
03-Nov-11, 15:20
Interesting wee article, apparently costs us £4bn a year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/panorama/hi/front_page/newsid_9630000/9630233.stm
Read it again weezer, overall it's 22 billion.
C3

Alrock
03-Nov-11, 15:33
Read it again weezer, overall it's 22 billion.
C3

£22bn total of which £4bn is benefit fraud, less than a fifth of the total yet it is the one that gets all the publicity....
Plus that £4bn also includes tax credit fraud and social housing scams, so it's not all just down to the unemployed scum out there.

david
03-Nov-11, 15:41
£22bn total of which £4bn is benefit fraud, less than a fifth of the total yet it is the one that gets all the publicity....
Plus that £4bn also includes tax credit fraud and social housing scams, so it's not all just down to the unemployed scum out there.

"unemployed scum out there" So your scum if your unemployed??

RecQuery
03-Nov-11, 15:44
Both benefit fraud and other types of 'acceptable' fraud, evasion and avoidance are wrong. That being said I've never seen a news story or documentary about tax cheats or dodgy business practices. Last time I took annual leave I noticed BBC 1 had an entire series devoted to benefit fraud.

Alrock
03-Nov-11, 15:51
"unemployed scum out there" So your scum if your unemployed??

Just a generalisation I like to use (since that is what they generally treat you as at the Jobcentre)....
Unemployed scum myself....

http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs24/f/2008/021/4/c/devil_laghin_by_Scotsgirl_606.gif

david
03-Nov-11, 15:58
Just a generalisation I like to use (since that is what they generally treat you as at the Jobcentre)....
Unemployed scum myself....

http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs24/f/2008/021/4/c/devil_laghin_by_Scotsgirl_606.gif

You don't seriously think your scum though surely?

Alrock
03-Nov-11, 16:14
You don't seriously think your scum though surely?

Nope... Not in the slightest, some at the Jobcentre (naming no names but I'm sure my fellow unemployed scum know who I'm talking about) just like to treat me as if I am...

http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs23/f/2008/021/9/d/devil_ok_by_Scotsgirl_606.gif

david
03-Nov-11, 16:59
Nope... Not in the slightest, some at the Jobcentre (naming no names but I'm sure my fellow unemployed scum know who I'm talking about) just like to treat me as if I am...

That's not good-no crime to be unemployed in this part of the country!

Anfield
03-Nov-11, 17:38
Don't forget the biggest benefit scroungers of all i.e. Mr & Mrs Windsor & Co.
Also the three living ex-Prime Ministers of UK (http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d659f4fc-00e6-11e1-8590-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1ceuZgrhV)have claimed a total of £1.7 Million in the last 5 years;

To"r"y Blair has claimed £273,000 since 2007, a figure which includes £169,000 in 2008/9 which is more than what he was paid whilst serving as PM.
John Major claimed £490,000 despite receiving a very good salary as an After Dinner Speaker

Finally the scourge of the "benefit cheats" Thatcher has scrounged £535,00 in the last 5 years.

This system was set up By Major in 1991 to ".. reward former incumbents of Number 10 for work including answering letters and attending public events.."

Seeing that Thatcher now appears to be a bedridden recluse, and Blair spends most of his time abroad carrying out "..work for a number of different organisations (http://www.tonyblairoffice.org/pages/what-we-do2/) are these not the type of professional "scroungers" that should be brought to task, instead of picking on those members of society who have suffered at the hands of the above three stooges

david
03-Nov-11, 17:56
Also the three living ex-Prime Ministers of UK (http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d659f4fc-00e6-11e1-8590-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1ceuZgrhV)have claimed a total of £1.7 Million in the last 5 years;

To"r"y Blair has claimed £273,000 since 2007, a figure which includes £169,000 in 2008/9 which is more than what he was paid whilst serving as PM.
John Major claimed £490,000 despite receiving a very good salary as an After Dinner Speaker

Finally the scourge of the "benefit cheats" Thatcher has scrounged £535,00 in the last 5 years.

This system was set up By Major in 1991 to ".. reward former incumbents of Number 10 for work including answering letters and attending public events.."

Seeing that Thatcher now appears to be a bedridden recluse, and Blair spends most of his time abroad carrying out "..work for a number of different organisations (http://www.tonyblairoffice.org/pages/what-we-do2/) are these not the type of professional "scroungers" that should be brought to task, instead of picking on those members of society who have suffered at the hands of the above three stooges

Would agree with you there!

Alrock
03-Nov-11, 17:58

(Where's the "Like" button here?)

John Little
03-Nov-11, 18:06
Compare and contrast;

"As at April 2011, benefit levels for working-age adults were £105.95 per week for a couple without children, £67.50 per week for a single adult aged 25 or over, and £53.45 for a single adult aged under 25."

http://www.poverty.org.uk/12/index.shtml

So my weekly benefits payment would buy me a tank of petrol ...

(If I were single- which I ain't...)

david
03-Nov-11, 18:13
Compare and contrast;

"As at April 2011, benefit levels for working-age adults were £105.95 per week for a couple without children, £67.50 per week for a single adult aged 25 or over, and £53.45 for a single adult aged under 25."

http://www.poverty.org.uk/12/index.shtml

So my weekly benefits payment would buy me a tank of petrol ...

(If I were single- which I ain't...)

Well I can't claim anything because I payed into a pension scheme at 11% salary pcm for 21 years. At £580 per month I get too much alledgedly!! I suppose I shouldn't have told them!!

John Little
03-Nov-11, 18:20
Well at the risk of sounding like a nihilist I can't blame the poor beggars for trying to fiddle their benefits when they see the jokers at the other end walking away with shedloads of cash for spouting hot air about how they ruined things when they were in office.

david
03-Nov-11, 18:39
Well at the risk of sounding like a nihilist I can't blame the poor beggars for trying to fiddle their benefits when they see the jokers at the other end walking away with shedloads of cash for spouting hot air about how they ruined things when they were in office.

Valid point

Leanne
03-Nov-11, 19:24
Enlighten me... What is that £67 for? Council tax paid, rent paid. Does that have to cover fuel bills or is that paid too? Just curious...

John Little
03-Nov-11, 19:59
I believe that it covers everything else- but someone who's on it will be able to answer better than I.

Niall Fernie
03-Nov-11, 20:02
From what I remember only the council tax and rent are paid for by separate benefits. However water charges are not paid.

Nick Noble
03-Nov-11, 20:10
Enlighten me... What is that £67 for? Council tax paid, rent paid. Does that have to cover fuel bills or is that paid too? Just curious...

That £67 would be to cover food, gas, electric, clothing, travel, phone, TV, booze, fags ...

In addition the recipient may be able to get help with rent and council tax. (upto 100% of rent and council tax, (but nothing towards the water/sewerage charge)

Leanne
03-Nov-11, 20:15
That £67 would be to cover food, gas, electric, clothing, travel, phone, TV, booze, fags ...

In addition the recipient may be able to get help with rent and council tax. (upto 100% of rent and council tax, (but nothing towards the water/sewerage charge)

I wish I had £268 to spare a month after I'd paid my mortgage and council tax!

Nick Noble
03-Nov-11, 20:19

Go on then Leanne, you imply that you live on less than £67 per week, do share details...

rob murray
04-Nov-11, 11:25

Council tax ( minus water rates ) paid and rent ( if no one else in the household is working ) paid, fuel not paid, so £67 is for fuel bills, water rates, food and clothing.

rob murray
04-Nov-11, 11:28
You must have a whacking mortgage then or you have benfited yourself from getting a mortgage on such a low income

ducati
04-Nov-11, 11:58
From what I remember only the council tax and rent are paid for by separate benefits. However water charges are not paid.

Of course if you have a £1000 pm mortgage they might give you a tenner towards it[disgust]

Bazeye
05-Nov-11, 12:11

Its not spare though is it, if all you've paid out of your earnings are mortgage and council tax.

Kodiak
05-Nov-11, 13:13

For Someone on Benefit who receives £268 a Month, £67 a Week, none of this could be counted as Spare.

They still need to buy Food, Clothing, Electricity, pay the Phone Bill, Pay for their Water and Sewerage, Household goods stuff like Washing up Liquid, washing Powder, Toilet Roll etc etc.

The list goes on and on just like anyone else and the only thing that is different they con only spend £67 in one week. Right at this moment in time I am paying £40 a week just for Electric so if all I received was £67 I would be in BIG trouble when the winter really starts to bite.

Simply put being on and living on Benefit is not as wonderful and great as the Media like to portray. You only read in the Press or hear on TV the Sensational Cases but these a really only a tiny percentage of people on Benefit. Thr Majority find that living on Benefit is Hard and difficult and are living from one payment to another and only just scraping by.

Alrock
05-Nov-11, 13:40
They still need to buy Food, Clothing, Electricity, pay the Phone Bill, Pay for their Water and Sewerage, Household goods stuff like Washing up Liquid, washing Powder, Toilet Roll etc etc.

Don't forget the £4.70 a fortnight for buses & hanging about in the cold for a couple of hours waiting for said buses just to get that money....

Or in my case £9.40 a fortnight for buses, still hanging about in the cold, for £105.95 (£52.975 per person (is it really £14 per week per person cheaper to live if you are a couple?)) a week for myself & my partner....

Gizmo
05-Nov-11, 13:42
For Someone on Benefit who receives £268 a Month, £67 a Week, none of this could be counted as Spare.

The list goes on and on just like anyone else and the only thing that is different they con only spend £67 in one week. Right at this moment in time I am paying £40 a week just for Electric so if all I received was £67 I would be in BIG trouble when the winter really starts to bite.

Simply put being on and living on Benefit is not as wonderful and great as the Media like to portray. You only read in the Press or hear on TV the Sensational Cases but these a really only a tiny percentage of people on Benefit. Thr Majority find that living on Benefit is Hard and difficult and are living from one payment to another and only just scraping by.

Great post.

Liz
05-Nov-11, 13:50

Very well said.

Leanne
05-Nov-11, 16:36

And there are many who have to live off the same but actually have to work for the cash!

Alrock
05-Nov-11, 16:43
And there are many who have to live off the same but actually have to work for the cash!

More fool them....

Corrie 3
05-Nov-11, 17:00
Don't forget the £4.70 a fortnight for buses & hanging about in the cold for a couple of hours waiting for said buses just to get that money....

Or in my case £9.40 a fortnight for buses, still hanging about in the cold, for £105.95 (£52.975 per person (is it really £14 per week per person cheaper to live if you are a couple?)) a week for myself & my partner....
Poor you, if you both got off your backsides and got jobs you might even be able to afford a car!!

C3..........[disgust][disgust]

John Little
05-Nov-11, 17:07
Not your best judged remark C3-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15271800

Corrie 3
05-Nov-11, 17:28
Not your best judged remark C3-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15271800
Sorry John but if thousands of Poles can come over here and find work then so can Scots if they only got off their bums!!
But of course, we know there are some that are quite happy to be kept alive by other peoples hard work, I think the word is "parasites" if I am not mistaken!!

C3..................[disgust][disgust]

John Little
05-Nov-11, 17:40
Ah well - as I no longer work but live on my pension I will leave it to someone unemployed to answer that.

I feel a bit like a parasite myself now I am at home all day.

Alrock
05-Nov-11, 18:15
Poor you, if you both got off your backsides and got jobs you might even be able to afford a car!!

C3..........[disgust][disgust]

Getting a job of more than 30 hours (Any less than that & We'd be worse off) is easier said than done....
As for getting of our backsides.... We both work full-time in the voluntary sector so don't prejudge without knowing all the facts...

Gizmo
05-Nov-11, 19:52
Sorry John but if thousands of Poles can come over here and find work then so can Scots if they only got off their bums!!
But of course, we know there are some that are quite happy to be kept alive by other peoples hard work, I think the word is "parasites" if I am not mistaken!!

C3..................[disgust][disgust]

And where exactly are all these jobs that are available?, or are you just one of these people who sit in their Ivory Tower and throw down judgements on others, without having a clue about how things are at a grass roots level? [disgust]

Corrie 3
05-Nov-11, 20:04
And where exactly are all these jobs that are available?, or are you just one of these people who sit in their Ivory Tower and throw down judgements on others, without having a clue about how things are at a grass roots level? [disgust]
You only have to look at job vacancy sites in the central belt and England to know there is work out there for anyone who wants it, trouble is people up here wait for the jobs to come to them and that aint going to happen.
Get on your bike and get a job rather than sponge off other hard workers!!!

C3.................[disgust][disgust]

Alrock
05-Nov-11, 20:11
You only have to look at job vacancy sites in the central belt and England to know there is work out there for anyone who wants it, trouble is people up here wait for the jobs to come to them and that aint going to happen.

So what you're saying is that if you have no job then you have no right to determine where you live....
So what would you say to the unemployed of the central belt & England.....
"Plenty of jobs in the Siberian salt mines now that they have released most of the political prisoners"

david
05-Nov-11, 20:19

Out of interest, where do you work?

Gizmo
05-Nov-11, 20:31

So there are a couple of million job vacancies in the central belt and England?, and all unemployed Caithnesians should pack-up and move there?, because as we all know, moving your family to a new area is nice and simple, and costs next to nothing....seriously, is there any sort of 'reality' going on in your head?

david
05-Nov-11, 20:35
So there are a couple of million job vacancies in the central belt and England?, and all unemployed Caithnesians should pack-up and move there?, because as we all know, moving your family to a new area is nice and simple, and costs next to nothing....seriously, is there any sort of 'reality' going on in your head?

Doesn't look like it! Exactly what I was thinking!

Corrie 3
05-Nov-11, 20:54
Out of interest, where do you work?
After leaving school at 15 I have worked hard for 50 years in all corners of the globe without a day on the broo!!! It's sad to think that my 50 years of income tax is now going to idle so and so's who will not go and look for work to support their families and kids!!! Of course they prefer to stay at home, play on the x-box on the plasma screen tv and use their PC to complain on the .Org how poor they are!!!!...I really feel for you!!!

C3...................[disgust][disgust]

david
05-Nov-11, 21:05
After leaving school at 15 I have worked hard for 50 years in all corners of the globe without a day on the broo!!! It's sad to think that my 50 years of income tax is now going to idle so and so's who will not go and look for work to support their families and kids!!! Of course they prefer to stay at home, play on the x-box on the plasma screen tv and use their PC to complain on the .Org how poor they are!!!!...I really feel for you!!!

I've never been on benefits either, however I do feel some of your posts are quite ignorant. Caithness is not exactly bursting with jobs at the moment and the situation is likely to get worse. Things have changed a lot since you started work all these years ago. I am sure a lot of folks in Caithness who are currently unemployed would like a paid job. I'm lucky in that I can live fairly well without a job although I would prefer to have one for my own sanity.

Theres really no need to feel for me-I don't feel for you..

Gizmo
05-Nov-11, 21:08

Would you like a Blue Peter badge to go along with your sanctimonious elitist attitude?. I used to work with someone like you, and I absolutely hated him.

david
05-Nov-11, 21:21

So where do you work then? Or don't you? Retired perhaps, never had to look for work recently? Please enlighten?

Gizmo
05-Nov-11, 21:25
Caithness is not exactly I am sure a lot of folks in Caithness who are currently unemployed would like a paid job.

I would love nothing more than paid employment, and any amount of hours would do, as I also do not get any benefits as my wife works full-time.

david
05-Nov-11, 21:35
I would love nothing more than paid employment, and any amount of hours would do, as I also do not get any benefits as my wife works full-time.

Corrie 3 seems to be able to get plenty of work, at least in the last fifty years, perhaps he/she lives in the central belt?

bekisman
05-Nov-11, 22:41
So where do you work then? Or don't you? Retired perhaps, never had to look for work recently? Please enlighten?
'spose started work at 15, did it for 50 years; retired?

david
05-Nov-11, 22:47
'spose started work at 15, did it for 50 years; retired?

And absolutely no idea what it's like to be looking for work in the present economic climate?

ducati
06-Nov-11, 00:03
I happen to know, through my work, that the oil refining business and the pharmecuetical business are desperately short of engineers and process and production workers. There may well be other industries in the same boat. So although times are tough there is work for some people in some areas. You would probably have to be prepared to move. My profession, if you want to call it that, (sales) has always required that you be mobile.

If times change you have to change with them I guess. If there is never going to be your kind of work in your local area then sometime or other, you will have to consider moving.

Gronnuck
06-Nov-11, 10:19

What a load of sanctimonious claptrap. Corrie 3 do you have any experience of moving your family lock, stock and barrel every two or three years? Do you have any idea of the disruption this causes to your children, changing schools, making new friends, etc? What about the disruption to your partner if they have a job? Perhaps you don't you give a fig about those closest to you. Do you have any idea of the work involved in packing everything up and arranging the move? Give me some indication of your experience and I might acknowledge you have a point.
The Eastern Europeans move here because after decades of living under communism and social sterility they see better opportunities in the EU They still enjoy close family ties and the support of their extended families. That’s why they have help to look after their children until the breadwinners are settled.
British families have already been through that phase in the 60s and 70s. We are a much more dispersed society and rarely have extended families close by.

Corrie 3
06-Nov-11, 10:49
And absolutely no idea what it's like to be looking for work in the present economic climate?
And the last 50 years have been easy have they David? Dont make me laugh!!! My work took me all over the world because I didnt want to stay in Caithness and live in poverty! I didnt uproot my family, they were settled here, I got home at every opportunity I could. It was hard, but it was better than staying here and living on benefits. Loads of people in the world choose to work away from home to make a living, as well as earning a good living it also educates you as to how others live in their country!
If you are waiting to get a good, full time, well paid job in Caithness then you are going to have a long wait I'm afraid. If you dont have the right qualifications then go and get them, it's never too late to learn!
But then again, you and others might be happy staying in Caithness and living on handouts, I know a lot who are! Your future is up to you and no one else !!

C3...........:eek::roll:

david
06-Nov-11, 11:09
And the last 50 years have been easy have they David? Dont make me laugh!!! My work took me all over the world because I didnt want to stay in Caithness and live in poverty! I didnt uproot my family, they were settled here, I got home at every opportunity I could. It was hard, but it was better than staying here and living on benefits. Loads of people in the world choose to work away from home to make a living, as well as earning a good living it also educates you as to how others live in their country!
If you are waiting to get a good, full time, well paid job in Caithness then you are going to have a long wait I'm afraid. If you dont have the right qualifications then go and get them, it's never too late to learn!
But then again, you and others might be happy staying in Caithness and living on handouts, I know a lot who are! Your future is up to you and no one else !!

I am very happy to live in Caithness without any handouts. You still don't say where you work?

katarina
06-Nov-11, 11:20
Unfortunately it seems to be the genuine cases that have the most difficulty obtaining benefits. I'm not on benefits and never have been and would hate to be. But I do know some genuine cases who are having a hard time of it. What I object to is alcoholics and drug addicts getting extra because of self inflicted 'disablement'
I think it's disgusting that examples given at the beginning of this thread are allowed to slip through the net.

RecQuery
06-Nov-11, 11:35
Lots of butthurt baby boomers in this thread. If they've worked all their lives then surely they had the forethought to save money and therefore can give back their pensions and benefits so later generations don't have to work until their 80. BTW I have never claimed benefits. If I had a choice where my money went through I'd rather send it to benefit fraudsters than to the generation that ruined the world.

Corrie 3
06-Nov-11, 11:47
I am very happy to live in Caithness without any handouts. You still don't say where you work?
After 50 years of hard graft David I am now able to put my feet up at 65. And I can enjoy the benefits that the hard graft has brought me....try it, you may even get to like it!!

C3..................:roll:;)

david
06-Nov-11, 11:53
After 50 years of hard graft David I am now able to put my feet up at 65. And I can enjoy the benefits that the hard graft has brought me....try it, you may even get to like it!!

Given some of your comments on "handouts", I take it you'll be handing back your winter fuel allowance and paying for your TV licence when the time comes?

Gizmo
06-Nov-11, 12:04

After the realisation that I could no longer do the type of work I did since leaving school, I went and got some qualifications in computing. And guess what C3, it's made sod all difference to my job prospects, as I have no work experience in anything other than the type of work I was once able to do. And with dozens of people chasing each vacancy that arises, there is always someone with previous experience that has applied.

So, as someone who seems to know all the answers, what exactly would you suggest I do?

david
06-Nov-11, 12:10
After the realisation that I could no longer do the type of work I did since leaving school, I went and got some qualifications in computing. And guess what C3, it's made sod all difference to my job prospects, as I have no work experience in anything other than the type of work I was once able to do. And with dozens of people chasing each vacancy that arises, there is always someone with previous experience that has applied.

So, as someone who seems to know all the answers, what exactly would you suggest I do?

There's a vacancy where Corrie used to work, bet it's popstars wages too!!

Leanne
06-Nov-11, 12:41
I went and got some qualifications in computing.

People with computer qualifications are now two a penny - many IT types out of work. It needs to be the right type of qualifications... And even then you might struggle :( There are many professions out there with a shortage of workers (my own included) - if people chose one of those it would be a win-win, but some people go for the professions with the glamour or romance around them and find themselves out of work because there are so many competing for so few jobs. The cream of the crop in those situations are the ones who get the job.

Gizmo
06-Nov-11, 12:48

Just recently, there was a vacancy posted on the Org. If I remember correctly, it was for a delivery type of job, and two days after it was posted, the gentleman who posted it left a reply saying that the application process was now closed due to the overwhelming amount of applications he had received. And in that reply he also left a comment which was directed at judgemental people like you on the Org, who think that all unemployed people are work-shy, lazy, and happy with a life on benefits. When they clearly are not.

Gizmo
06-Nov-11, 12:50
People with computer qualifications are now two a penny - many IT types out of work. It needs to be the right type of qualifications... And even then you might struggle :( There are many professions out there with a shortage of workers (my own included) - if people chose one of those it would be a win-win, but some people go for the professions with the glamour or romance around them and find themselves out of work because there are so many competing for so few jobs. The cream of the crop in those situations are the ones who get the job.

Can I ask what your profession is?

John Little
06-Nov-11, 12:57
Lots of butthurt baby boomers in this thread. If they've worked all their lives then surely they had the forethought to save money and therefore can give back their pensions and benefits so later generations don't have to work until their 80. BTW I have never claimed benefits. If I had a choice where my money went through I'd rather send it to benefit fraudsters than to the generation that ruined the world.

1 Baby boomers cannot help when they were born. This resentment of baby boomers in the last couple of years stems largely from that book by David Willetts which stated that the baby boomer generation had it too easy and took all the cream.

2 That generation were able to work all their lives because the world was suited to them doing so. With our trading rivals shattered after WW2 we were able to take advantage of that for a generation until they recovered. Once they had done so then we were forced to compete with them on more equal terms- but since they started with a newer technological base they had a long term advantage.

3 The great European Empires were in the process of breaking up. Emerging nations of those days are now technological rivals.

4 The baby boomers paid National Insurance and contributed to their pensions in that way - a true Social contract. That's the way it was set. If the governments of the day were unable to resist spending it on other things then it seems a bit of a cheap shot to blame the ordinary joe for it. On my princely pension I just am not going to feel guilty about it - I have enough to live on and it will do.

5 The population of the world has shot up- and so has the number of people educated to a level basic enough to be expoloited in an industrial society. This gives rise to a pool of cheap labour in the global markets whereby we cannot compete unless our people also consent to be cheap labour. The logical follow on is protection of our Industry through tariffs - a European Tariff wall...

6 The world is not ruined. It has changed and at a pace and style unequalled in history. It always will and it seems futile to blame one generation for the ills of the present. Besides which, it is a Conservative notion to divide the dissent and rule. This way the plebs divide one generation against the last, exploiting the resentment of the young to the old. That way they do not concentrate on the real culprits.

You want to find the roots of the problems of poverty and unemployment?

Follow the money and find out where it is.

ducati
06-Nov-11, 18:05

It would seem an option worth considering, rather than you and your family being skint for the rest of your life.

You could make some applications in the other areas you fancy, if you get interviews you can usually claim expenses from the firm or private sector organisation or even off the Job Centre. You don't need to do anything until you get a firm job offer.

Gizmo
06-Nov-11, 18:53
It would seem an option worth considering, rather than you and your family being skint for the rest of your life.

You could make some applications in the other areas you fancy, if you get interviews you can usually claim expenses from the firm or private sector organisation or even off the Job Centre. You don't need to do anything until you get a firm job offer.

We're not skint. My wife has a full time job, and will always earn more than I could, so moving is not an option.

david
06-Nov-11, 20:36
We're not skint. My wife has a full time job, and will always earn more than I could, so moving is not an option.

Corrie's gone quiet?

Gizmo
06-Nov-11, 20:51
Corrie's gone quiet?

Good!.....

Corrie 3
06-Nov-11, 21:07
Corrie's gone quiet?
I can afford to be quiet...............My work on this Earth is done!!
Is yours?

C3...............:roll:;)

ducati
06-Nov-11, 22:36

Sorry Gizmo, I didn't mean you specifically I meant anyone.

david
06-Nov-11, 23:30
Is yours?

Thankfully not..

Gizmo
06-Nov-11, 23:43
Sorry Gizmo, I didn't mean you specifically I meant anyone.

Ah right...no worries.

What you suggested works fine for people with skill sets that gain large salaries, but for those who are unlikely to be paid anything more than the national minimum wage, the huge costs involved in reloacating to another area, just don't make it a feasible option.

If we believe C3 that there are plenty of jobs out there in other areas for those that want them, what would happen to Caithness, or any other rural area if everyone needing employment uprooted and moved to those god-awful urban jungles?. I don't know how it will be done, but something needs to be done to bring steady employment and a little prosperity back to areas like Caithness, as droves of people moving to other areas for work is only going to be a bad thing for the area.

sandyr1
06-Nov-11, 23:43
Is yours?

C3...I agree/ did the same thing except I didn't make it back/ permanently.....

david
07-Nov-11, 00:55
Is yours?

I can afford to be quiet at forty five years of age, but your attitude smells of old age. TF your work on this earth is done-Time to move on..

sandyr1
07-Nov-11, 02:07
It isn't old age...How can you say that. I don't know where C3 went, but there isn't much I haven't done....
There were 'jobs' when I left in the late 60's..... Dounreay, The Glass Factory, and the Sea..or a trade.
I chose to go away and see the World/ our 'work' life is finished/ for me 10 years ago/ I still sail the Oceans and travel otherwise....No we are not OLDE!

ducati
07-Nov-11, 08:56
Ah right...no worries.

What you suggested works fine for people with skill sets that gain large salaries, but for those who are unlikely to be paid anything more than the national minimum wage, the huge costs involved in reloacating to another area, just don't make it a feasible option.

If we believe C3 that there are plenty of jobs out there in other areas for those that want them, what would happen to Caithness, or any other rural area if everyone needing employment uprooted and moved to those god-awful urban jungles?. I don't know how it will be done, but something needs to be done to bring steady employment and a little prosperity back to areas like Caithness, as droves of people moving to other areas for work is only going to be a bad thing for the area.

You don't have to live in an urban jungle (I never have) or settle for a dead end minimum wage job. People are a very valuable commodity. There are plenty of industries that need people and are willing to train them to do the jobs they need doing.

However, Caithness is just too small in terms of diversity of employers. The skillsets needed here are well known and historical so there is really not much excuse for being born and bread and not having studied for these skills. I would be looking very hard at the school system. They are supposed to motivate and inspire as well as teach, and have an eye on the carreer oportunities open to school leavers. We have a college, now part of a large University campus that is tuned in specifically to the skills needed in the modern highlands.

Rural areas do and always have haemorrhaged young people. And who is to say that is a good or bad thing?

RecQuery
07-Nov-11, 09:10

Computing romantic? Maybe in the movies, but in actuality we don't run MovieOS and don't dress like characters from a Gibson/Stephenson dystopia. Computing is actually consistently hiring, there are a couple of problems getting hired in the computing industry though (I'm one of the few lucky enough to consistently get decent relevant jobs).

I feel like ranting about the industry, so first of all people seem to think that getting a certification (CCNA, MCDST, MCSE, A+, Network+) will get them a job, you're competing with people that have two year diplomas, four year degrees and some years of experience. The only people that care about certifications are companies that constantly pump them out to milk people of their money, the people that teach them, other people with certifications and clueless HR departments. Don't believe everything on those Computeach adverts.

All IT workers are not equal, like say the medical profession you need people at all levels. The problem with the IT industry is anyone can call themselves a computer engineer, sysadmin or software developer. Unlike the terms doctor, engineer and lawyer there is no central regulation and quality control so we end up with the IT equivalent of an orderly becoming chief of thoracic surgery because they're good at selling themselves.

Dodgy recruitment companies and greedy corporations keep saying we have an IT skills shortage, I saw three articles saying that last week. They do it so they can bring in cheap labour. There are a lot of jobs out there, but lots of them are in the London area or Scandinavian countries I frequently get contacted by recruiters that try to bribe me into attending interviews.

The IT industry is very incestuous and nepotistic, it has unbelievable level of cronyism.

The one exception to all of this is if you're a woman in the IT industry then if you can even turn on a computer you get money, scholarships and jobs thrown at you.

weezer 316
07-Nov-11, 09:42

Your a bit of a tory at heart really corrie aint ya! Go on, admit it!

Corrie 3
07-Nov-11, 10:24
Your a bit of a tory at heart really corrie aint ya! Go on, admit it!
If by thinking that job seekers should only be paid for a year maximum makes me a Tory then yes, I am a Tory!!!
And if you dig deep Weezer I think you will find just a wee bit of SNP in you!!...lol.

C3..............:roll:[lol]

tonkatojo
07-Nov-11, 10:28
If by thinking that job seekers should only be paid for a year maximum makes me a Tory then yes, I am a Tory!!!
And if you dig deep Weezer I think you will find just a wee bit of SNP in you!!...lol.

Well I never .;)

Nick Noble
07-Nov-11, 11:10
It never fails to astound me that people do not understand the difference between "benefit fraud" the actual subject matter of this thread, and being on benefits.

Fraud needs dealing with ruthlessly, the criminals that are robbing the system blind need prosecuted, and then they need the attention of a proceeds of crime hearing to recover any assets amassed by the crooks.

People that are on benefits do not need to be vilified by all and sundry. Quite simply put, there are not enough jobs to go around. Most people on benefits want to work. A small minority do not. But many of that small minority have never ever experienced life in work, or even been in a household with someone in work. You may ask why that is, and quite simply it is because of government policy dating right back to the 1980's when the dear tory government, rolling in cash, would much rather get people onto long term benefits which did not impact the jobless total instead of on job seekers allowance that did. So during the Thatcher years we had a massive increase in non-working households, a situation which all subsequent governments have either encouraged, or at least acquiesced in.

That allowed them to decimate the industrial base of britains economy and replace the traditional 40 hour per week manual work with the new panacea of service industry jobs. Those jobs were wonderful, they came with low overheads, and best of all they often had contracts of 16 or less hours per week. Many now have zero hour contracts, so although you have a job you cannot guarantee that you will have work or earnings, but you cannot get unemployment benefits, nor can you get a mortgage, because you cannot prove that you will be able to meet the mortgage payments.

So now if you are foolhardy enough to choose to move elsewhere to find work you probably could not find anywhere to live because either you cannot get a mortgage, or cannot get a private rented house because the almost universal credit checks, and references will show that you do not have a guaranteed income, and as for social housing, unless you are prepared to cheat the system you have no chance of getting somewhere because millions of those people that were being kicked out of work on onto long term benefits by Thatcher were also allowed to buy those houses for peanuts to encourage them to vote tory.

So lets hear less of back in the day I did this or that, and lets hear some reality about what people can do in society as it is today.

david
07-Nov-11, 12:35
It never fails to astound me that people do not understand the difference between "benefit fraud" the actual subject matter of this thread, and being on benefits.

Fraud needs dealing with ruthlessly, the criminals that are robbing the system blind need prosecuted, and then they need the attention of a proceeds of crime hearing to recover any assets amassed by the crooks.

People that are on benefits do not need to be vilified by all and sundry. Quite simply put, there are not enough jobs to go around. Most people on benefits want to work. A small minority do not. But many of that small minority have never ever experienced life in work, or even been in a household with someone in work. You may ask why that is, and quite simply it is because of government policy dating right back to the 1980's when the dear tory government, rolling in cash, would much rather get people onto long term benefits which did not impact the jobless total instead of on job seekers allowance that did. So during the Thatcher years we had a massive increase in non-working households, a situation which all subsequent governments have either encouraged, or at least acquiesced in.

That allowed them to decimate the industrial base of britains economy and replace the traditional 40 hour per week manual work with the new panacea of service industry jobs. Those jobs were wonderful, they came with low overheads, and best of all they often had contracts of 16 or less hours per week. Many now have zero hour contracts, so although you have a job you cannot guarantee that you will have work or earnings, but you cannot get unemployment benefits, nor can you get a mortgage, because you cannot prove that you will be able to meet the mortgage payments.

So now if you are foolhardy enough to choose to move elsewhere to find work you probably could not find anywhere to live because either you cannot get a mortgage, or cannot get a private rented house because the almost universal credit checks, and references will show that you do not have a guaranteed income, and as for social housing, unless you are prepared to cheat the system you have no chance of getting somewhere because millions of those people that were being kicked out of work on onto long term benefits by Thatcher were also allowed to buy those houses for peanuts to encourage them to vote tory.

So lets hear less of back in the day I did this or that, and lets hear some reality about what people can do in society as it is today.

Good post Nick!

Gizmo
07-Nov-11, 12:42
I feel like ranting about the industry, so first of all people seem to think that getting a certification (CCNA, MCDST, MCSE, A+, Network+) will get them a job

You're reading more into what I said than was intended. I am under no illusion that the two basic computer certifications I got would get me a job. I meant it mearly as something to add to my C.V. to show competency in that area, as pretty much all my previous work experience on my C.V. now means diddly-squat, as any job I apply for now will not be connected in any way to the work I did since leaving school. I'm basically starting from scratch at age 40, and finding it pretty much impossible.

weezer 316
07-Nov-11, 14:45

Oh corrie! Dont you care about your fellow citizens? Your as heartless as that brute Cameron! I suppose then you back the benefits clamp down they are proposing/implementing?

For the record, as I am sure I have said before, I back paying indefinitely. I would be dead or in jail by now if it wasnt for the benefits system as my mother never worked a day in her life.

And as I have said before, I back a government run credit card type thing for benefits. Im sure a deal could be reached with some card providers and the banks to build it into their system.

You wont find any nationalism in me. Nationailty is irrelevant for almost everything bar sports. I am sure you agree sitting there with clothes made in pakistan, on a pc made in taiwan and drinking tea from indonesia or Coffee from Brazil.

Nick Noble
07-Nov-11, 19:22
Here's something to get your knickers in a knot about, this is a story of benefits and VAT fraud on a large scale.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-15626365

Gizmo
07-Nov-11, 19:36
Here's something to get your knickers in a knot about, this is a story of benefits and VAT fraud on a large scale.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-15626365

From that story.

"Mr Taylor said working tax credit for people with lower incomes was "particularly easy to cheat"

How is that possible? A few years ago when my son was living with us, we applied for Tax Credits. My wife had to provide her P60, and I had to provide proof of income for the six months I received Job Seekers Allowance in that year. So if these people are forging the documents required to make a Tax Credits claim, I wouldn't say that is something that is "particularly easy" to do. Or are they doing it some other way?

weezer 316
07-Nov-11, 19:39
Thats awful. You can just tell by looking at her that shes an absolute eejit.

secrets in symmetry
07-Nov-11, 23:03
Thats awful. You can just tell by looking at her that shes an absolute eejit.Isn't that a bit size-ist weezer?

weezer 316
08-Nov-11, 00:25
Yes it probably is. I was more alluding to the clueless look on her face.

Leanne
08-Nov-11, 00:35
Yes it probably is. I was more alluding to the clueless look on her face.

Obviously not that clueless if she managed to swindle all that cash...

weezer 316
08-Nov-11, 00:38
Smart criminals dont get caught.

Phill
08-Nov-11, 01:14
Thats awful. You can just tell by looking at her that shes an absolute eejit.Untill she took the pish big stylee, with a £161M claim, she was was living the life of Reilly on our tab. Who's the eejit??