PDA

View Full Version : Sparrowhawk

doyle
18-Oct-06, 23:49
Your never gonna believe it, well I still can't believe it - I saw a sparrowhawk in our back garden today WOW! I was sitting at my puter and there was this almighty thud on the livingroom window. I looked out and couldnt see anything at first, but there it was, half way down the garden on the ground! Out came me book to confirm what I saw! Must have been a bit stunned. It must have been chasing a small bird in the garden, the wee bird managed to dodge the window but he didn't. We often get birds flying into our livingroom window as it is a large single pane and the roof overhangs and the birds think they can fly right thru. Just now we have goldfinches, siskins, blue tits, great tits, dunnocks, greenfinches, chaffies, robins and coal tits coming to our table. It is a delight to watch them

Kenn
19-Oct-06, 00:08
Nice one doyle..they're beautiful birds, we usually get them around spring and autumn as they migrate. Not seen any since spring tho' and that 1 sure did cause chaos in the garden.

neepnipper
19-Oct-06, 10:40
3 weeks ago whilst working at the Last House Gift Shop in JOG I had the door of the shop open, I heard lots of tweeting and a sparrow flew in the shop closely followed by a sparrowhawk! They both ended up under the pick 'n' mix containers! I'm not scared of birds but had no way of getting at the bird (sparrow by now had been killed by the sparrowhawk) so I called up my friend who keeps birds and she came over with a net and gauntlet gloves and managed to ease the bird out from where it had wedged itself, it was fine and flew off none the worse for wear, leaving its' dinner behind! Luckily there were no customers in the shop and I closed up until we'd got it out as I didn't want to scare it too much.

golach
19-Oct-06, 21:50
3 weeks ago whilst working at the Last House Gift Shop in JOG I had the door of the shop open, I heard lots of tweeting and a sparrow flew in the shop closely followed by a sparrowhawk! They both ended up under the pick 'n' mix containers! I'm not scared of birds but had no way of getting at the bird (sparrow by now had been killed by the sparrowhawk) so I called up my friend who keeps birds and she came over with a net and gauntlet gloves and managed to ease the bird out from where it had wedged itself, it was fine and flew off none the worse for wear, leaving its' dinner behind! Luckily there were no customers in the shop and I closed up until we'd got it out as I didn't want to scare it too much.
What a sensible young lassie you are Neep, your Mum should be very proud of you, I know I am just because I met you in here :D

neepnipper
19-Oct-06, 22:08
That's very kind, nice to meet you, too!
I think animals seek me out, rescued a puffin the other week!

gary.b
28-Oct-06, 10:03
Well done Neepnipper you were lucky to have a front row seat.

catherine nicol
28-Oct-06, 23:38
We often get birds flying into our livingroom window as it is a large single pane and the roof overhangs and the birds think they can fly right thru.

I used to have the very same problem and had to regulary check on dazed house sparrows in the past. (didn't want the neighbourhood moggies who spy on my garden to get a free lunch!)

This stopped after I purchased some window stickies from RSPB. There were 2 sheets of various bird silhouttes and I chose one of a flying swallow and one other slightly bigger bird, can't think just now what the bird was but haven't had a casualty since I put these on the patio doors so well worth the money. I shared the others with some of my neighbours who were having regular casualties as well and this has been successful for them too.

doyle
29-Oct-06, 20:48
What a good idea Catherine! Must see if I can get some coz there's hardly a day goes by without a "thud"!

the charlatans
31-Oct-06, 16:27
I've seen a sparrowhawk over Dunnet, at the field beside the beach on the corner afore you go up the brae. I was out walking with the pram a couple of weeks ago and watched it for quite a while. Then after a conversation with Mr Charlatans to determine it wasn't a kestrel we both saw it in the same area a week later. I was quite chuffed as they are bonny critters. Watch out Sparrows and all things mousey.

I've also had quite a few birdies down my chimney this year, Mr Charlatans really needs to borrow some roof ladders and get a bit of netting up on the chimney. Only one poor bird died but the rest are getting good at pecking on the glass (closed fire) to be let out and then out the window. My neighbours had a laugh at me one day trying to coax one out waving a black bag about. I think i was more worked up than the bird. I wonder if its the same bird or are they playing 'chicken'???

MR J
06-Dec-06, 13:55
While I was out today I parked up not far from Thrumster to make a phone call. While there I saw a sparrowhawk take a blackbird in the field next to the road about 20 feet away from me. It sat for a wee while then flew off with its lunch keeping close to the hedge line. Brilliant:) . Probably never see that again!!

golach
06-Dec-06, 22:45
A story in one of todays tabloids about an enterprising Sparrowhawk in Edinburgh's High Street. It swooped down in front of all the shocked visitors, and killed a fat Edinburgh pigeon, and sat and calmly tore its prey to bits and ate it, then flew up into the spires and chimneys of the city. Maybe it was a tourist too and thought the pigeon was a self service take away :lol: