PDA

View Full Version : Vulcan in scale down

bagpuss
02-Nov-11, 20:09
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-15560644

what implications will this have for Caithness?

RecQuery
02-Nov-11, 23:49
I think we'll become more illogical.

weezer 316
03-Nov-11, 09:09
Haha! Very good rec!

We are doomed anyway, once dounreay goes caithness will be a basket case.

golach
03-Nov-11, 10:27
Vulcan would be closed by Eck Salmond and his cyber nats anyway, if they ever got into power, they are anti nuclear weapons.

Corrie 3
03-Nov-11, 10:53
Vulcan would be closed by Eck Salmond and his cyber nats anyway, if they ever got into power, they are anti nuclear weapons.
Seems Dave has beaten him to it Golach, but then again Dave is anti-Scots and anti-Caithness!! And weezer, we were all doomed after all those idiots voted the Tories (and a few LibDem dummies) into power!!
Will we now see a mass exodus back to England of those losing their jobs?

C3........:roll:;)

LMS
03-Nov-11, 11:33
Come on Rheghead, you're very quiet on this one! What's the inside scoop then?

John Little
03-Nov-11, 11:56
Why do I so often suspect a green agenda?

Here we have a county with a declining population and a reducing job market.

So let's scale it down even more. Back in the 1950s it was given a boost which was entirely artificial- but it's remote from population centres and short on natural resources. So let's allow it to go back to what it should have been.

Sparsely populated, economically moribund - but green and clean and covered in windfarms as nature intended.

Policy decisions are supposed to consider outcomes as well. We have a plan A here.

Where''s Plan B?

You know - the one that considers, not the market but the practical needs of people with jobs, mortgages cars and kids?

When Clement Attlee was talking of withdrawing from parts of the British Empire in 1946 he identified 'deficit areas' that were not profitable and that were expensive to maintain. We needed to scale down our operations and withdraw.

So here I see government of the market, by the market and for the market.

Where is government of the people, by the people and for the people?

And how many more kicks is Caithness going to take?

And what is the projected population for 2030?

Found them;

http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/A4F9D758-96A7-45A3-896F-2F12FA8F0B3C/0/bn12populationprojections20042024.pdf

weezer 316
03-Nov-11, 14:11
Corrie,

Such stupidity s whats killing this country.

Who caused the deficit? Labour
Who is anti-nuclear? Eck

hypocrisy as standard. If your going to go on the attack at least make sure its based on facts!!!

Whats fat boy ecks plans for Vulcan btw?

cazmanian_minx
03-Nov-11, 14:14
Aren't they building a low-level waste facility at Dounreay at the moment? That would make Vulcan the perfect place to decommission nuclear subs as they start coming out of service...

golach
03-Nov-11, 14:40
Aren't they building a low-level waste facility at Dounreay at the moment? That would make Vulcan the perfect place to decommission nuclear subs as they start coming out of service...

We have 7 decommissioned nuclear submarines in Rosyth dockyard at the moment, just sitting there rotting away. Where in Caithness are you going to store these dangerous hulks..........run them up in to Sandside beach maybe, that would be great for Caithness.
IMHO I would send them all back to where they were built Barrow, that would keep bazeye in a job for many years to come.

Corrie 3
03-Nov-11, 15:19
Corrie,

Such stupidity s whats killing this country.

Who caused the deficit? Labour
Who is anti-nuclear? Eck

hypocrisy as standard. If your going to go on the attack at least make sure its based on facts!!!

Whats fat boy ecks plans for Vulcan btw?
I don't think the closing of Vulcan has anything to do with the deficit weezer! Whats Wee Eck going to do with Vulcan now you ask, I will tell you, he will clear up the mess that Dave and his Cronies leave behind. The mess that means so many will lose their jobs but is Dave and his Cronies worried about that? No, of course not, and he isn't looking for a replacement workplace to replace Vulcan and save a few jobs...he just really doesn't care does he weezer ?!!!
The worst thing that Caithness could ever have is a Tory Govt, they don't care about us because we are hundreds of miles away from London and I doubt half of them know where Caithness is. And as I said a few days ago, John Thurso is very, very quiet these days, is he really working hard for his constituents? What is he doing about the job losses at Vulcan and elsewhere? Nothing, absolutely nothing thats what he is doing. He is relishing his 5 mins of fame now he has a bit of power in Westminster along with his cronies Clegg and the Ginger Rodent who is doing his best to rob 1000's of there rightful pensions. I dont see him making statements that MP's are going to pay more pension and receive less !!
Wake up weezer, this country is going to the dogs in all ways. We have money to pour into the IMF and money to pour into dodgy countries as "aid" and yet we have no money to make living a bit more easy for our own nation!
I dread to think what state the country will be in at the end of their term in office!!!

C3...............:eek::eek:

RecQuery
03-Nov-11, 15:48
I don't think the closing of Vulcan has anything to do with the deficit weezer! Whats Wee Eck going to do with Vulcan now you ask, I will tell you, he will clear up the mess that Dave and his Cronies leave behind. The mess that means so many will lose their jobs but is Dave and his Cronies worried about that? No, of course not, and he isn't looking for a replacement workplace to replace Vulcan and save a few jobs...he just really doesn't care does he weezer ?!!!
The worst thing that Caithness could ever have is a Tory Govt, they don't care about us because we are hundreds of miles away from London and I doubt half of them know where Caithness is. And as I said a few days ago, John Thurso is very, very quiet these days, is he really working hard for his constituents? What is he doing about the job losses at Vulcan and elsewhere? Nothing, absolutely nothing thats what he is doing. He is relishing his 5 mins of fame now he has a bit of power in Westminster along with his cronies Clegg and the Ginger Rodent who is doing his best to rob 1000's of there rightful pensions. I dont see him making statements that MP's are going to pay more pension and receive less !!
Wake up weezer, this country is going to the dogs in all ways. We have money to pour into the IMF and money to pour into dodgy countries as "aid" and yet we have no money to make living a bit more easy for our own nation!
I dread to think what state the country will be in at the end of their term in office!!!

C3...............:eek::eek:

I don't like the Lib Dems they've abandoned their own principals recently, but John Thurso has been very responsive to anything I send him or any issue I raise, forwarding it to the appropriate departments, chasing up replies, actually reading and replying intelligently (whether him or an assistant) instead of just sending form responses. He also has a decent voting record.

escobarloblob
03-Nov-11, 20:05
i think that neither of the goverments in power has much interest in Vulcan but do Rolls Royce themselves have any interest. When they celebrated their 50th anniversay a few years ago the head man of Rolls Royce at the time Sir John Rose gave a less than inspiring speech where he made it quite clear what small a part Vulcan were in Rolls Royce's global enterprises.

bagpuss
03-Nov-11, 20:52
There are three areas of concern

Defence: the current government seem determined to scale down the country's defences- and are making the biggest economies north of the border. Perhaps they fear Scotland becoming independent?

Economy: implications for current workforce? How many will be redeployed in Fasslane or Derby? But what of young people looking for apprenticeships?

Health: if Caithness ends up a depository for radioactive waste, what sort of message does that send out to those people who would otherwise want to live here but might be put off by that prospect?

gleeber
03-Nov-11, 21:41
It always sounds odd when people say that Caithness will be finished soon. :eek: It gives me more of a feeling than a vision of a desolate Traill Street.I never remember hearing talk like that when I grew up in the 50s and 60s. Mind you traill street was pretty quiet in those days too. It started in the 70s, people would say I dont know what we would do without Dounreay. Neither did I. Economically it shaped modern caithness and Thurso in particular. If they can pull down Viewfirth with the full blessing of the powers that be in Thurso anythings possible.
It's a crazy world but I dont think we're crazy. There's time yet though.

sandyr1
04-Nov-11, 02:14
It would not surprise me to see them do at Dounreay as they have done here and in other parts of the World...Close it down/ Put a 12 foot fence around it and have 2 security guards on duty. End of story//// Saves money.....I said this several years ago....

Bazeye
05-Nov-11, 12:17
If they can pull down Viewfirth with the full blessing of the powers that be in Thurso anythings possible.
It's a crazy world but I dont think we're crazy. There's time yet though.

Sad to see that place pulled down, had many a good night, and Saturday afternoon in there.