PDA

View Full Version : Caithness General

badger
18-Oct-06, 16:44
Have I missed something? Don't remember seeing any comment on the current shambles over blood supplies at Wick. First time it was reported I couldn't understand how it could possibly take 2 months to sort out incorrect procedures and recent front pages in the Groat and Courier seem to be confirming that there's more to this than meets the eye. Is this yet another ploy to downgrade our local hospital? I feel so sorry for people who've had to be sent to Inverness. Why does history keep repeating itself? I did a search but couldn't find a thread in the forum so please redirect me if I've missed it. Would like to know what's going on.

Fran
19-Oct-06, 00:30
Go on to "search" and type in blood transfusion threads and they willall come up and you will get the information there about the blood problem at Caithness General.

The Pepsi Challenge
19-Oct-06, 04:00
Someone told me the Caithness General is called 50/50 for obvious reasons. Imagine my amazement when I discovered the phone number is also, yep, you guessed it, 5050. You couldn't make it up. Last time I was there I was alarmed to see the amount of walls and plasterboard falling to bits. Not good.

Alice in Blunderland
19-Oct-06, 07:41
You cant believe everything you read in the papers :eek: I feel sorry for some of the hard working staff within that department who have to read whats being printed then carry on working and trying to improve things for others.I do not believe its a ploy to transfer work south.

Fran
19-Oct-06, 16:32
I agree with you Alice in Blunderland. We have a good hospital in wick and it is spotless, which is more important than the decor. Walls will get scraped with wheelchairs and trolleys etc. Today a patient who has been hospitalised in Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Glasgow , Inverness and wick, told me the food was best in wick and inverness was second best.The hospital even has new remote controlled beds.

badger
19-Oct-06, 16:46
Go on to "search" and type in blood transfusion threads and they willall come up and you will get the information there about the blood problem at Caithness General.

Thanks Fran - maybe I'm blind (or just stupid) but I could only find one thread on this. Just for the record I'm not criticising Wick Hospital and don't think the press are either. It just seems very odd that other hospitals with a similar "procedures" problem have not had to stop transfusions. And I ask again, why does it take two months to sort out? If Inverness wanted to get things here up and running again as soon as possible, which they should, I'm sure it could be done a great deal quicker than that.

kas
19-Oct-06, 19:07
2 months seems a awful long time. Is it true most operations are having to be transfered to Inverness as well as pregnant mums going there to deliver their newborns. It must be very inconvinient for some people. Hopefully they will have it sorted.
From a personal point of view I would never critise the Hospital or staff, I have always had the best of care there. Its the powers to be that most of the problems stem from.

badger
20-Oct-06, 11:49
I think there would be less suspicion about this latest incident if there wasn’t a long history of mismanagement from above (Inverness). It’s not so long since the maternity unit was closed because they apparently didn’t notice they were down to one consultant who left due to sickness. Then they said they couldn’t recruit consultants, only to be embarrassed to find that actually they could so they then had to sack them, apparently just to prove their point. There was the well publicised case of an elderly lady having to travel to Inverness all through one winter because the dialysis machine up here was understaffed (I think that was the reason). There was the offer of a free scanner which wasn’t taken up so the offer was finally withdrawn. The list goes on.

I seriously believe that if Inverness wanted to get this latest problem sorted out quickly they could. Instead it suits them better to have people taken to Inverness for operations and to give birth. The personal cost to these individuals, who I'm sure would much prefer to be treated in the familiar and friendly surroundings of Wick, and their families is apparently not considered.