PDA

View Full Version : Over the Ord 8-"How about that, then"

Nwicker60
31-Oct-11, 17:49
"Now then, guys and gals"-we'll all miss Sir Jimmy

THE giveaway quote in the title, was, of course, one of extrovert Sir Jimmy Savile's catch famous catch phrases.
What a guy! His death, on Saturday, only two days before his 85th, will haven sadden folk the length and breadth of the country.
Initially, known for his hosting of BBC's Top of the Pops, Jimmy went on to walk thousands of miles and raised millions of pounds for charity. We, in Caithness, were privileged to have known him at the end of one of his Lands End to John O' Groats marathons, in 1975 which I covered as a local reporter.
I can still see him in his typically effervescent mode signing the visitors book in the company of Provost Bill Mowat, at Wick Town Hall. Does anyone remember the date? If you would like to post a tribute to this wonderful guy, who fought an injury sustained in an explosion, in his earlier life as a miner-one of the many Bevan Boys- and won back the full use of his legs which were to take him on so many worthy jaunts, feel free.
Sir Jimmy, of course did the end-to-end in the other direction and I now understand he was seen off by the then Thurso provost, John Sinclair at John O' Groats, in March, 1971. The marathon man who became even better known for his "Jim'll fix it" television series, reached Land's End in 31 days, again for charity.

Whisky up and down in the news

INVER HOUSE hit the headlines last week for having the best whisky in the world but The Mail on Sunday reported a more negative story.
Apparently the dram personally blended by Prince Charles, Barrogill whisky, has now, as the paper terms it, been put on ice. Inver have pulled out of the deal, in which they produced the royal dram, a decision said to have left the Prince whose charity North Highland Initiative, set up to support the local economy, benefited from sales of Barrogill. disappointed.
His Highness was so enthusiastic about the whisky that the label bore his own artwork, a watercolour of the Castle of Mey, previously known as Barrogill Castle.
According to the Mail, I Inver confirmed the line had been discontinued but were unable to comment further.
There, is, however a plus side...bottles of Barrogill are set to become collectors items!

Appliances went haywire during power surge

Were you affected by Friday's power surge?
It played havoc with electrical appliances in hundreds of homes in Wick. It seems that a transformer failed resulting in a high voltage going through the network, during routine maintenance work. Some appliances exploded I understand.
Scottish Hydro has engaged a company called Haste to carry out repairs to appliances and SH have stated it will pay for damage or replacement.