PDA

View Full Version : Thurso Second Roadbridge

dozy
18-Oct-06, 12:36
Word is that there is to be a new roadbridge to cross the river in Thurso at the Ellan .There's to be around-a-bout at the Dams end ,this is to reduce the old bridge traffic going East on the Castletown road and at the lights .The traffic going East will go down Meadow lane (by Dunnet's) and long the riverside to the new bridge .I think the new bridge is the dam type and will be able to provide electricity ,someone said there a salmon run and some other energy saving stuff aswell ...Sounds a good idea to me ..YES ..NO ..whats your take on it ???

jaykay
18-Oct-06, 12:45
Someones been winding you up!!

dozy
18-Oct-06, 13:22
Yes ,maybe ...buts its the same group that were dropping hints that some of the Named companies that we have in the county now were coming .Thats over 3 years ago ..Maybe their just seeding the idea to see what the response will be ...Is it a good idea or not thats what i am asking .?????

jaykay
18-Oct-06, 16:19
Yes ,maybe ...buts its the same group that were dropping hints that some of the Named companies that we have in the county now were coming .Thats over 3 years ago ..Maybe their just seeding the idea to see what the response will be ...Is it a good idea or not thats what i am asking .?????

Last weeks events where roadworks at the end of the bridge was causing traffic delays of up to an hour highlighted the fact that should the bridge have to close for any reason it would cause major problems. I therefore think that a second bridge over the river would be a good idea but not necessarily where you have suggested. I would have thought that a bridge at Heathfield would be a better bet which is where they are talking about putting the Thurso bypass.

dozy
23-Oct-06, 22:27
Funny thing about this group is when i got a chance to look through the minutes of one of their meeting in January 2003 it shows that they sent a letter to a Wick Harbour Official .In that letter they put forward the idea that Wick ,Peterhead and Nairn should get together and install facility's at each port with the hope of the ports getting together and running a "Moray Basin Regatta" a yachting special over a mumber of weeks and/or weekends .This would include and few legs to Orkney .Now this was 3 years ago ,strange or what ??????
PS the bridge at Bleachfield that was going to be part of a bypass was never too happen .It was part of a scoping report that was to be tabled with the file stamped" No Action" ...Sorry ..

Saxo01
23-Oct-06, 22:36
we got a new marina which got wiped oot with a northerly puff o wind surprise surprise, But it seems ok now virtually closed off, At least it keeps the yachts out of the harbour, I used to move the yachties fairly easy tho by opening a barrel o stinkin bait :lol:

willowbankbear
23-Oct-06, 23:03
we got a new marina which got wiped oot with a northerly puff o wind surprise surprise, But it seems ok now virtually closed off, At least it keeps the yachts out of the harbour, I used to move the yachties fairly easy tho by opening a barrel o stinkin bait :lol:

Well , your doing yer bit for the Orcadian tourist trade then[disgust] Dont you realise how much these folk bring into the local ecconomy? I hope yer talking bull, I didnt think people would do something as stupid.

Saxo01
23-Oct-06, 23:15
wasnt the visitors they respect the fishermen have a job to do, The local lazy yachters found it easier to tie outside the fishing boats, But as i said they have a new marina so its no longer a problem

willowbankbear
23-Oct-06, 23:43
You shouldve said that in the first place!!

Aye I know what ye mean by that, in the summer time the yachts did that here but we`d sail at 3am & wake them up by clambering aboard their boats so that wwe could get out.

Last while I was working on the boats Wick Harbour master had it under control, all the yachts were away from the commercial boats, so no problems

Saxo01
24-Oct-06, 00:00
Lucky you, The harbourmaster & designate didnt want to upset the sail bearers thankfully they have the new marina so we dont have to come down to 7 yachts lying outside and can can go to work

Saxo01
24-Oct-06, 00:10
having worked on many fishing boats my favourite is the old Gunnhilda me & bro went thru many a gale in her, Sanders & a dram in the mountain dew was cool as well :lol: