PDA

View Full Version : children changing for PE

vectus
30-Oct-11, 19:51
Hi, my daughter has just asked me why the boys stare at her when she changes for PE. She is 8. After chatting about this it seems the boys and girls all change together in the classroom and are not allowed to use the toilets. Whilst I don't have a problem with little children doing this I don't feel it is appropriate now she is older:~(
I would like to know if this is common practice in primary schools?

RecQuery
30-Oct-11, 21:11
I haven't been in primary school since 1995, but it wasn't done back then. Usually one gender would use the classroom and another the toilets or cloakroom, another empty room or PE room itself. Usually with the boys getting the most uncomfortable location which in retrospect is kind of sexist. It does seem odd even now, perhaps a cost or time saving method or something.

Dialyser
30-Oct-11, 21:21
I certainly don't remember having to that and have just checked with my 8 year old daughter who assures me they have seperate changing rooms at her school.

Leanne
30-Oct-11, 22:09
I was 8 in 1988 and boys got changed in the classroom and girls in the loos where there were no windows and prying eyes...

Loraine
30-Oct-11, 23:23
My youngest daughter told me today this does occasionally happen to her class - they all change together in the classroom for P.E. But usually they have their own separate changing rooms to get undressed in. She's 6 and is very self-conscious about getting undressed in front of us - never mind other children, especially boys! Thankfully she has a 'technique' for making sure the boys don't get to see her underwear! I'm shocked to hear that it actually happens - the thought never crossed my mind before now! :(

Scarybiscuits03
31-Oct-11, 00:24
I do agree - they should change in different rooms - I wasna happy when my girl told me they got changed in class then got changed after gym in the changing rooms!......If they're there then use them! - they all mature at different ages and should be entitled to privacy.......rant over!
Then looking at the schools point of view - they have to try and get it right and they cant please everyone especially not any one parent!...Rant really over x

theone
31-Oct-11, 00:31
When I was that age if you forgot your shorts you had to do PE in your pants!

david
31-Oct-11, 09:52
When I was that age if you forgot your shorts you had to do PE in your pants!

Me too-that was Miller Academy 1970s.

Koi
31-Oct-11, 10:21
When i was at primary school boys and girls got chnaged in seperate changing rooms. But then the gym itself was in a seperate building.
Which school is it your daughter goes to? In thurso i do know in pennyland school the kids get changed in the same room. Have you spoken to the school your daughter goes to about it?

Tugmistress
31-Oct-11, 10:32
we had the large navy blue knickers and boys had shorts, we all just stripped in the class room (in the 70's though) but i would have thought it was separate rooms nowadays.

poppett
31-Oct-11, 11:45
In the 1960`s gym kit was worn under uniform going to school, so only top layers to strip off and replace so it didn`t really matter who was there. Made for some very hot days though with all those layers.

Alan16
31-Oct-11, 12:13
I'm surprised that that would happen, but at the risk of being mocked for being a late developer or something, the kids are 8. At 8 I was still more interested in Spiderman than girls in there underwear, I mean how horny can you really be at 8?!

david
31-Oct-11, 12:16
I'm surprised that that would happen, but at the risk of being mocked for being a late developer or something, the kids are 8. At 8 I was still more interested in Spiderman than girls in there underwear, I mean how horny can you really be at 8?!

Would have to agree with you there Alan!

Dadie
31-Oct-11, 12:24
I dont know at 8 the boys are either interested in the differences in bodies or the fact the girls have different cartoon characters on their pants.
Instead of spiderman they have tinkerbell (which wouldnt be cool to an 8 yo boy)etc.
In some Scandinavian countries, the swimming pools etc are all communial changing and no one(local) is shocked by naked flesh on either sex, young or old!
As long as she is wearing a vest and pants with decent coverage, whats the problem, you see people and kids with less on in the pool....bikinis and speedos?
Its probably just to stop the carrying on in the changing room/locker/toilet areas.

greentrees
31-Oct-11, 13:35
Regardless of age, surely its not good practice for any child to be put in a situation which makes them feel uncomfortable and self aware, because ultimately it will effect their self confidence...

brandy
31-Oct-11, 13:58
as the parent of an 8 year old you would be surprised what they know about! the things ive heard the kids in the street talking about is shocking when they think no grown ups are in hearing range!
my 8 year old has hit the stage he does not want me to see him even in his pants..
and i think they do still just change in the class room, as several of them wear their gym shorts under their trousers to keep from stripping in front of the others.
i would like to see them separate to change.. but ive never really thought about it much, until someone actually brings it up.

Alan16
31-Oct-11, 15:29
Regardless of age, surely its not good practice for any child to be put in a situation which makes them feel uncomfortable and self aware, because ultimately it will effect their self confidence...

The problem is though, as I see it, that although I agree with you somewhat, there's no practical way to do anything about it. If you put them in a situation where they feel uncomfortable and self aware, they may well lack some self confidence, but I don't think keeping them all separate so they develop false confidence is the solution either. What we need to teach children is that it's ok to be fat, thin, whatever, and that what's important is that you are confident in the person you are and that everyone, no matter how they look, deserves the respect they themselves expect.

Yes, there is a problem with obesity in this country, but do we really need all the reports, or the news articles, all the tv shows, all of that jazz, which just enforces on the children that if they are fat then they are somehow lesser than everyone else. And by the same stick, we don't need tv shows or magazines full of pictures of size zero models tell children that this is how they should be, because that's not right either.

So really, in my opinion, I don't have much problem with the fact that children are forced to change together. I would hope that at the least it will give them the confidence from a young age to not feel ashamed about how they look, and simply embrace it as who they are.

brandy
31-Oct-11, 16:19
i think its not so much the tall short skinny fat thing.. more the im down to my skivvies and there are girls/boys seeing me in my underwear mentality.
sorry but if i was 8 and had to strip in front of boys.. wouldnt be happening! again.. my 8 year old is now saying.. mom dont look at me.. i dont have clothes on..
he is still ok for me to check him over if its for medical reasons.. and im allowed in to pee if im desperate while he is in the shower but thats about the end of it.
he has no problem with his dad seeing him naked.. as he told me.. duh mom dads a boy .. its ok for him to see me! he has a peter as well!!

greentrees
31-Oct-11, 18:58
If we were in the same situation as the children, would you feel comfortable stipping to your underware? and if not. Should not the children be given the same respect for their privacy as we as adults are...Just a thought.

greentrees
31-Oct-11, 19:00
oops stripping and underwear, sorry guys for loose fingers on the keyboard.

starfish
31-Oct-11, 19:05
i asked my grand child about this today and their reply was what is the difference i see others in the swimming clothes and i take no notice of boys or girls