PDA

View Full Version : November 5th

Rheghead
30-Oct-11, 18:08
I'm wondering how relevant is the foiling of an early 17th century pro-catholic gunpowder plot on the houses of Parliament is to the everyday person in the 21st century?

Has the original cause for celebration been lost, so who cares?

Do we celebrate with fireworks for the sake of celebrating, so we have a good night out with the kids?

If we are celebrating and the original cause for celebration doesn't mean anything to us then what are we celebrating?

Or does celebrating the foiling of terrorism have a renewed ageless relevance in the 21st century?

Koi
30-Oct-11, 20:31
I think it defintly gone to the stage where its celebrated with fireworks just because. It all seems to be only about the fireworks hence why from this week and properly untill the middle of november people let of fireworks.

I personally can't stand fireworks but my partner loves the displays so i go with him when he can make it. Though a very good distance is taken as i've heard too many things about fireworks landing in buggies.

Corrie 3
30-Oct-11, 20:45
I wish Guido Fawkes would come back and finish the job properly, but making sure Clegg and the Ginger Rodent were in parliament alongside Dave and George of course!!! Now that would be something to celebrate....;)

C3..............:roll:;)

Green_not_greed
30-Oct-11, 21:33
I'm just surprised its still going at all, especially given the ecoreligion zealots screaming every time another gram of CO2 is sent into the atmosphere. Then again, there's little money to be made from stopping the bonfire night CO2 emissions, which is probably why the BWEA et al haven't said a word........

ducati
30-Oct-11, 22:23
I wish Guido Fawkes would come back and finish the job properly, but making sure Clegg and the Ginger Rodent were in parliament alongside Dave and George of course!!! Now that would be something to celebrate....

C3..............:roll:;)

Careful C3. The org has ears [para]

theone
30-Oct-11, 22:38
I wish Guido Fawkes would come back and finish the job properly, but making sure Clegg and the Ginger Rodent were in parliament alongside Dave and George of course!!! Now that would be something to celebrate....;)

If a muslim made that comment I'm sure Scotland Yard would have them under surveillance for weeks to come!

theone
30-Oct-11, 22:41
I'm wondering how relevant is the foiling of an early 17th century pro-catholic gunpowder plot on the houses of Parliament is to the everyday person in the 21st century?

Has the original cause for celebration been lost, so who cares?

Do we celebrate with fireworks for the sake of celebrating, so we have a good night out with the kids?

If we are celebrating and the original cause for celebration doesn't mean anything to us then what are we celebrating?

Or does celebrating the foiling of terrorism have a renewed ageless relevance in the 21st century?

I'd say the original meaning has been lost, or at least it's not central to the festival anymore, much in the same way as Christmas, Easter etc.

But I'd also suggest that it perhaps has more relevance to us now than other festivals do.