PDA

View Full Version : Returning good which remain uncollected - question?

Julia
30-Oct-11, 15:00
Trying to settle an argument here, if you buy something online but then decide to return it how long can you reasonably wait for the item to be collected before it becomes your property?

AliciaMackinnon
30-Oct-11, 15:53
Id say after the set return date set by the owner of the shop or company.... like 21 days return and so on.

Iv had this problem with a certain large shopping chain and said shop still hasn't collected the item so having phoned them on countless occasions and telling them its still here.. still nothing I have now classed the item as my own!

Good luck! xx

pat
30-Oct-11, 16:17
If the item is an unsolicited you can claim it after 6 months I think.
If you have ordered it and they have not collected it, think you may have to see the company returns procedures etc and trading standards as legally it is still their property - but after so long I would write to them and advise them you are charging them storage (storage charge can be as high as you want to make it!) and see how quickly they come collecting.

Nick Noble
30-Oct-11, 16:37
Trying to settle an argument here, if you buy something online but then decide to return it how long can you reasonably wait for the item to be collected before it becomes your property?

Very good and fairly succint summary here:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/scotland/your_world/consumer_affairs_index_scotland/keeping_lost_found_and_uncollected_goods_scotland. htm#uncollected_or_abandoned_goods

In short, in Scotland title never passes to you in this situation. Furthermore you are under a duty to take reasonable care of the goods concerned.

Your best bet is to write recorded delivery to the seller asking that they arrange to collect the goods asap, and advising that if they are not collected within a reasonable time - say 7 days - that you will charge a storage fee, again it should be a reasonable sum perhaps £10 per day. If nothing has happened within 14 days send in your first invoice, giving say 7 days to pay in full and keep doing so until the goods are collected. if they don't pay up in full use the small claims process and get them into court :)

Beat Bug
30-Oct-11, 22:56
Earlier in the year we ordered an item on line. A few days later we had an email saying it was on it's way to us. Next day we had another email saying that the item they had advertised was not the same as the one they were selling, and gave us the opportunity to either accept the item at a discounted price, or have a full refund. We chose the latter, but a few days later said item arrived. We contacted the seller, who arranged collection. We waited in all day, but they failed to turn up. Yet another collection date was arranged, but still no show. We got our money back, and despite several emails still have the item. We reckon it will cost them more to collect it than what it's worth.