PDA

View Full Version : What do you believe that isn't true?

secrets in symmetry
30-Oct-11, 14:57
Lots of people believe things that aren't true:

I believe I will live for ever.
Starfish and golach believe they are taxed twice on the same money.
Ducati believes "there is no alternative".
Gleeber believes he's a stupid bigot.
Half the forum believes man doesn't affect the climate.
Sandyr1 believes something about overcapacity that no-one else understands.
I believe I'm going to work hard for the rest of the day.

What do you believe that isn't true?

sandyr1
30-Oct-11, 15:09
Congrats...You got that Word.....Well done SIS....
Oh believing that which is not true...The Welfare State.....But I don't hold that against you...The Hurricane seems to be abating....I shall take my leave for 75 degree salt water!

RecQuery
30-Oct-11, 15:09
Well... "I believe I can fly, I believe I can touch the sky, I think about it every night and day, Spread my wings and fly away, I believe I can soar, I see me running through that open door, I believe I can fly, I believe I can fly, I believe I can fly"

I hear some people believe in a thing called love when they listen to the rhythm of their heart, or in the power or rock and roll and I also think some people believe when they see a newborn baby cry or touch a leaf or see the sky.

Corrie 3
30-Oct-11, 15:25
I believe that there are people on the .org who claim to be scientists when they aren't.

I believe that global warming is not man made.

I believe that Caithness drivers are some of the worst in the country.

I believe that wind turbines are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

I believe there are some .Org members that think they are the greatest person on the earth and the rest of us are stupid.

I believe that we in Britain are being ripped off with gas, electricity and oil prices.

I believe that Walter Ego is the best comedian on here and he makes me lol!!!...:lol:

C3................:roll:;)

teddybear1873
30-Oct-11, 15:29
I believe half the lies told on this forum Isn't true.

weezer 316
30-Oct-11, 15:40
I believe if you want something you either have to pay for it or work for it. Some on this forum clearly dont

I belive corrie is actually Alec Salmond as I cant imagine a country this small producing 2 people like that.

I believe Neil Lennon is the greatest signing rangers have ever made

Corrie 3
30-Oct-11, 15:43
I belive corrie is actually Alec Salmond as I cant imagine a country this small producing 2 people like that.

Jeeeeeeze Weezer, you have just blown my cover!!!!

Big Eck.........:roll:;)

ducati
30-Oct-11, 15:48
I believe the Force is in us all. :cool:

Beat Bug
30-Oct-11, 15:54
I believe I'm a size 12!

littleted
30-Oct-11, 16:39
i believe we are all brainwashed under the nwo ,turned into microchipped zombies,turned on by the media :cool:

Kodiak
30-Oct-11, 17:02
Nothing as I know everything I believe in is 100% True. :Razz

oldmarine
30-Oct-11, 17:20

If your last belief is anything like your first belief, I have my doubts on what you believe.

Rheghead
30-Oct-11, 18:45
Believing in something which is not true is a complete affront to my most cherished values. I must have reason and evidence for those beliefs and the two go together, you can't have reason without evidence and you can't have evidence without reason, one is unfounded and the other is unexplained.

However, I do have beliefs which may not be true which are based upon pure reason, therefore are unfounded. I believe in extra-terrestial life and I also believe in the Big Crunch theory as the Ultimate Fate of the Universe.

shazzap
30-Oct-11, 18:47
I believe. I'm the only sane person, on the Org. :lol:

RecQuery
30-Oct-11, 21:22
I believe that I'm on a holodeck and the entire world is a fiction for my benefit or it could possibly be a variation of The Truman Show.
"We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?" - Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7. Activity recorded M.Y. 2302.22467. (TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED)

Dadie
30-Oct-11, 21:40
Santa, the tooth fairy and the easter bunny!

sids
30-Oct-11, 21:47
I believe for every drop of rain that falls, a flower grows,

I believe that somewhere in the darkest night, a candle glows.

AliciaMackinnon
30-Oct-11, 21:55
Santa, the tooth fairy and the easter bunny!

ahhh I thought id get there first damn!!! lol

But I believe in the above too!!!!!!!!!!!

vectus
30-Oct-11, 21:57
Nothing! I'm with Rheghead on this one

John Little
30-Oct-11, 22:08
I believe that most people are good, fundamentally...

and that includes you...dear reader.

cullpacket
30-Oct-11, 23:42
All the Hammer House Of Horror films and myself!!

Angel
31-Oct-11, 00:29
I believe that all people are nice and that the only reason they act differently is because of fear based on there own insecurities.
I believe our children are being desensitised on purpose for ultimate governmental control... may be not in our lifetime but in their childrens.
I believe global warming is a natural cycle.
I believe corporations will rule countries directly instead of through politicians.
I believe that that humans have already become an economic unit only (in the big picture).
I believe that we will have to create (if not already or unless a natural disaster happens) a method of culling humans to sustain survival. And we all know who these will be!
I believe emotion is the cause of ALL trouble and I think it may even be a disease.
I believe music is the answer to stress and any negative feelings.
I believe I have finished my list!

Angel...

Metalattakk
31-Oct-11, 02:35
What untruths do I believe?

I believe that most people who have posted to this thread have not misunderstood the question.

secrets in symmetry
31-Oct-11, 09:52
Believing in something which is not true is a complete affront to my most cherished values. I must have reason and evidence for those beliefs and the two go together, you can't have reason without evidence and you can't have evidence without reason, one is unfounded and the other is unexplained.Yes, I absolutely agree.

However, I do have beliefs which may not be true which are based upon pure reason, therefore are unfounded. I believe in extra-terrestial life and I also believe in the Big Crunch theory as the Ultimate Fate of the Universe.I was once quite partial to the big crunch idea, but the recent realisation that the universe's expansion is accelerating - due to the discovery that supernovae are moving apart from each other at ever increasing speeds - put that idea into the bin for the time being. Weezer knows this acceleration is caused by dark energy - which evidently explains everything, including why there is no God. :cool:

Rheghead
31-Oct-11, 10:26
Yes, I absolutely agree.

I was once quite partial to the big crunch idea, but the recent realisation that the universe's expansion is accelerating - due to the discovery that supernovae are moving apart from each other at ever increasing speeds - put that idea into the bin for the time being. Weezer knows this acceleration is caused by dark energy - which evidently explains everything, including why there is no God. :cool:

Surely that gives strength to the Big Crunch Theory? Entropy, symmetrical universe prior to a deceleration when gravity becomes king and all that?

secrets in symmetry
31-Oct-11, 10:54
Surely that gives strength to the Big Crunch Theory? Entropy, symmetrical universe prior to a deceleration when gravity becomes king and all that?Your cosmology is 13 years out of date. See, for example: Nobel Dreams: 2011 Physics Prize Honors Accelerating Universe (http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cocktail-party-physics/2011/10/04/nobel-dreams-2011-physics-prize-honors-accelerating-universe/)

Gravity doesn't dominate towards the end in the new paradigm. Indeed, this Dark Energy is needed to fit the WMAP temperature fluctuation data.

Rheghead
31-Oct-11, 11:07
Your cosmology is 13 years out of date. See, for example: Nobel Dreams: 2011 Physics Prize Honors Accelerating Universe (http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cocktail-party-physics/2011/10/04/nobel-dreams-2011-physics-prize-honors-accelerating-universe/)

Gravity doesn't dominate towards the end in the new paradigm. Indeed, this Dark Energy is needed to fit the WMAP temperature fluctuation data.

Many thanks for that! :)

Alan16
31-Oct-11, 12:04
I believe that it must be about a year since I last posted on these message boards and the fact that I remembered my password still is evidence towards the fact that I am a genius and just haven't realised my potential yet... Or it's just one of about 20 passwords I cycle through over and over, but I'm going with the genius thing.

On to other things: I believe that the fantasy genre of literature is the most under-appreciated and is criticised by people who either haven't read it or read it going into it thinking they'd hate it.

I believe I may be audibly schizophrenic as the music I listen to seems to vary in age, style, language, etc, on a daily, if not hourly basis.

I believe I'm the funniest member of the .org, for example:

A horse walks into a bar and says, "Can I have a pint........ And a packed of crisps?". The barman says, "Why the long pause?" :lol:

Ahhh, a classic...

What?!

weezer 316
31-Oct-11, 12:28
Your cosmology is 13 years out of date. See, for example: Nobel Dreams: 2011 Physics Prize Honors Accelerating Universe (http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cocktail-party-physics/2011/10/04/nobel-dreams-2011-physics-prize-honors-accelerating-universe/)

Haha, nice try! We both know fine well there isnt evidence of a god, and the theory of dark energy isnt proof of a non existance of god either!

TBH, I wouldnt be suprised (this could likely never be proven) if the reason for the expansion and its acceleration is that we are surrounded by universes and their gravity is attracting each other. The E=mc2 that produced matter from energy in the first instance of the universe says to me that a unimaginable quantities of energy required to create such an amount of mass likely punctured big bangs in more than one place.

That's only slightly less ridiculous as the existence of god I accept, but physics would says its as likely as a single big bang.

ducati
31-Oct-11, 16:47
As no one can explain what happened before the big bang, I might have to start believing in God

Crackeday
31-Oct-11, 17:39

I believe you are illuminati with that avatar!!!!!!

weezer 316
31-Oct-11, 20:30
As no one can explain what happened before the big bang, I might have to start believing in God

Is god an answer? as in, is it true? Your as well as invking the spaghetti monster that supports hearts

ducati
31-Oct-11, 23:07
Is god an answer? as in, is it true? Your as well as invking the spaghetti monster that supports hearts

Well, if you think it would help. :D

Angel
31-Oct-11, 23:19
Of course GOD exsists. We are just a tiny part of what makes up God.

God is everything - God is all!

Angel...

ducati
31-Oct-11, 23:22
Of course GOD exsists. We are just a tiny part of what makes up God.

God is everything - God is all!

Angel...

Put a sock in it:Razz

John Little
01-Nov-11, 12:18
"...the flurry of recent work in experimental psychology on the ‘cognitive unconscious’ makes it clear that tolerance for hazy or non-articulate ways of knowing is also essential to learning (Claxton, 1997). People who are more receptive to their own faint hunches and inklings are better problem-solvers, for example, than those who must have everything clear-cut.

Learning rarely proceeds in neat logical steps.

More often it weaves in and out of periods of confusion and ambiguity. And those who have no tolerance for uncertainty – who have been trained to think that confusion is a sign of stupidity, for instance – have therefore had their capacity to learn reduced (Rokeach, 1950)"

Professor Guy Claxton

http://www.guyclaxton.com/

So tolerance of others' views, however much we disagree with them, is a sign of a larger learning capacity.

Saveman
01-Nov-11, 16:50
"...the flurry of recent work in experimental psychology on the ‘cognitive unconscious’ makes it clear that tolerance for hazy or non-articulate ways of knowing is also essential to learning (Claxton, 1997). People who are more receptive to their own faint hunches and inklings are better problem-solvers, for example, than those who must have everything clear-cut.

Learning rarely proceeds in neat logical steps.

More often it weaves in and out of periods of confusion and ambiguity. And those who have no tolerance for uncertainty – who have been trained to think that confusion is a sign of stupidity, for instance – have therefore had their capacity to learn reduced (Rokeach, 1950)"

Professor Guy Claxton

http://www.guyclaxton.com/

So tolerance of others' views, however much we disagree with them, is a sign of a larger learning capacity.

....I always suspected..... ;)

George Brims
01-Nov-11, 21:14
I believe I'm quite a good driver, despite hard evidence to the contrary.
The car under the other one is (was) mine. October 20th was a bad day.

Alrock
01-Nov-11, 21:27
I used to believe that AOL where a good ISP but now I am having serious doubts about that & the fact that I am currently on hold to them after 78 mins so far of being passed from department to department countless times is certainly reinforcing that doubt....

http://fc08.deviantart.com/fs23/f/2008/021/0/4/devil_angry_by_Scotsgirl_606.gif

John Little
01-Nov-11, 21:28

Heavens George! Are you okay?

Angel
01-Nov-11, 21:39
Where should I insert the sock Ducati...:roll:

Angel...

George Brims
02-Nov-11, 18:27
Heavens George! Are you okay?
I am perfectly fine (though very upset with myself). The car in front had just wellied the one in front of it, so when I arrived, eyes agape and right foot shoving the brake pedal through the floor, the back end of it was raised nicely and I slid neatly underneath. Another six feet or so and I would have got stopped in time.

John Little
02-Nov-11, 18:34
All the same - a lucky escape.

Is your car repairable?

oldmarine
02-Nov-11, 20:26
George: It's good to learn that you are okay. Enjoy reading your posts.

secrets in symmetry
03-Nov-11, 00:58
I believe that everything I believe is true.

dandod
03-Nov-11, 15:49
i believe in santa!!

George Brims
03-Nov-11, 21:43
All the same - a lucky escape.

Is your car repairable?
Not in insurance terms. The assessor pointed out that the back bumper of the lady's car basically scraped through everything along the top of the engine compartment. Battery clamp, top of battery, top of fuse box, engine air box, various fluid reservoirs, etc etc plus the radiator is busted, and the bonnet is folded up over the front window, which is cracked. He also pointed out since the engine was contacted I am as well not getting it fixed as is is hard to predict what damage the engine might have sustained that might cause it to fall apart in a few months. So I am awaiting a cheque from the insurance company and browsing used car sites on the internet.

gleeber
03-Nov-11, 21:47
I believe driving is safe.
Ive had a few narrow escapes. They come out of nowhere. Bang and your under another car.
I still believe its safe though.

oldmarine
03-Nov-11, 23:10
i believe in santa!!
When a child I used to say I believed in Santa so I did not lose out on any gifts. lol!

sassylass
04-Nov-11, 01:09
I believe I'm going to win the lottery one day but I'm not sure I'll still be alive when my numbers come up.

ducati
04-Nov-11, 08:24

As a result of viewing this post an advert for Lexus popped up. Now that's what I call response marketing:lol:

BTW George, judging by how hard the brakes must have been in, I'd say you gave it a fair go! Cudos:cool:

John Little
04-Nov-11, 09:21
I believe that Mr Salmond is a close relative of DCI Matt Burke...

wicker8
04-Nov-11, 11:44
i believe in angels,i believe love,i believe in overseas bank accounts oh and barclaycard

secrets in symmetry
05-Nov-11, 00:34
I believe Ruth Davidson will instil traditional values in the Scottish electorate, and she will be so inspirational that she'll be our next First Minister.

Rheghead
05-Nov-11, 01:28
I believe Graeme Smith won't be re-elected as a councillor in Wick because I believe in the higher intelligence of the Wick electorate.

secrets in symmetry
05-Nov-11, 18:31
As a result of viewing this post an advert for Lexus popped up. Now that's what I call response marketing:lol:I looked at the photo of George's car, and then an advertisement for a VISA card with a typical APR of 39.9% popped up.

I believe that's a really good interest rate.

katarina
06-Nov-11, 11:38

I believe I will never drink again.

secrets in symmetry
06-Nov-11, 19:25
I believe I will never drink again.Lol! I'd forgotten about that old myth - I believe it too!

George Brims
08-Nov-11, 02:44
I looked at the photo of George's car, and then an advertisement for a VISA card with a typical APR of 39.9% popped up.

I believe that's a really good interest rate.
39.9 or 3.9? The latter is a good rate, and the former is I think illegal!

secrets in symmetry
09-Nov-11, 22:42
39.9 or 3.9? The latter is a good rate, and the former is I think illegal!I had the decimal point in the right place, it's 39.9%.

Google's targeted advertising software works so well that the advertisement appeared with perfect timing when I opened this thread.

Here it is (http://www.vanquis.co.uk/apply/?ref=DA&aff=Quantcast_CPM_Lookalikes_728x90)

You can choose a union flag design for your card - so you can prove you're a patriot while you're being ripped off! :cool:

secrets in symmetry
12-Nov-11, 00:34
I believe it's ok to drink yourself stupid after work on a Friday.

ducati
13-Nov-11, 18:05
I believe it's ok to drink yourself stupid after work on a Friday.

I believe I am a trackday god.

Where as, I am in fact, a trackday dog.:lol:

secrets in symmetry
19-Nov-11, 00:58
I still believe it's ok to drink yourself stupid after work on a Friday.

Rheghead
19-Nov-11, 01:25
I still believe it's ok to drink yourself stupid after work on a Friday.

I know, you need a bit of logic in one's life! ;)

secrets in symmetry
19-Nov-11, 16:18
Don't worry, I believe I won't believe it's ok next Friday. :cool:

JamesMcVean
20-Nov-11, 13:03
lol good thread - What I believe that ISNT true?

I believe that man did land on the moon in 1969

I believe that the third tower collapsed of its own accord 9-11

I believe that there is goodness within almost everyone - DOH - I actually do believe that!

ducati
20-Nov-11, 14:03
lol good thread - What I believe that ISNT true?

I believe that man did land on the moon in 1969

I believe that the third tower collapsed of its own accord 9-11

I believe that there is goodness within almost everyone - DOH - I actually do believe that!

I believe you are perfectly sane.

John Little
20-Nov-11, 17:10
I believe that the First Amendment to the US Constitution works.