PDA

View Full Version : Truths ~ 3

Lolabelle
18-Oct-06, 03:08
GREAT TRUTHS ABOUT GROWING OLD

1) Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.
2) Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
3) When you fall down, you wonder what else you can do while you're down
there.
4) You're getting old when you get the same sensation from a rocking chair
that you once got from a roller coaster.
5) It's frustrating when you know all the answers but nobody bothers to
ask you the questions.
6) Time may be a great healer, but it's a lousy beautician.
7) Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.

Metalattakk
18-Oct-06, 12:06
According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 60's, 70's and early 80's probably shouldn't have survived, because our baby cots were covered with brightly coloured lead-based paint which was promptly chewed and licked.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, or latches on doors or cabinets and it was fine to play with pans.

When we rode our bikes, we wore no helmets, just flip-flops and fluorescent 'spokey dokey's' on our wheels.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or airbags - riding in the passenger seat was a treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle and it tasted the same.

We ate chips, bread and butter pudding and drank fizzy juice with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

We shared one drink with four friends, from one bottle or can and no-one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building go-carts out of scraps and then went top speed down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes.

After running into stinging nettles a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us and no one minded.

We did not have Play stations or X-Boxes, no video games at all. No 99 channels on TV, no videotape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no personal computers, no DVDs, no Internet chat rooms.

We had friends - we went outside and found them.

We played elastics and rounders, and sometimes that ball really hurt!

We fell out of trees, got cut, and broke bones but there were no law suits.

We had full on fist fights but no prosecution followed from other parents

We played chap-the-door-run-away (knock & run) and were actually afraid of the owners catching us.

We walked to friends' homes.

We also, believe it or not, WALKED to school; we didn't rely on mummy or daddy to drive us to school, which was just round the corner.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls.

We rode bikes in packs of 7 and wore our coats by only the hood.

The idea of a parents bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of...They actually sided with the law.

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever. The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

And you're one of them. Congratulations!

Pass this on to others who have had the luck to grow as real kids, before lawyers and governments regulated our lives, for our own good.

For those of you who aren't old enough, thought you might like to read about us.

This my friends, is surprisingly frightening......and it might put a smile on your face:
The majority of students in universities today were born in 1986........They are called youth.

They have never heard of We are the World, We are the children, and the Uptown Girl they know is by Westlife not Billy Joel. They have never heard of Rick Astley, Bananarama, Nena Cherry or Belinda Carlisle.

For them, there has always been only one Germany and one Vietnam.

AIDS has existed since they were born.

CD's have existed since they were born.

Michael Jackson has always been white.

To them John Travolta has always been round in shape and they can't imagine how this fat guy could be a god of dance.

They believe that Charlie's Angels and Mission Impossible are films from last year.

They can never imagine life before computers.

They'll never have pretended to be the A Team, RedHand Gang or the Famous Five.

They'll never have applied to be on "Jim'll Fix It".

They can't believe a black and white television ever existed. And they will never understand how we could leave the house without a mobile phone.

Now let's check if we're getting old...

1. You understand what was written above and you smile.

2. You need to sleep more, usually until the afternoon, after a night out.

3. Your friends are getting married/already married.

4. You are always surprised to see small children playing comfortably with computers.

5. When you see teenagers with mobile phones, you shake your head.

6. You remember watching Dirty Den in EastEnders the first time around.

7. You meet your friends from time to time, talking about the good Old days, repeating again all the funny things you have experienced together.

8. Having read this, you are thinking of forwarding it to some other friends because you think they will like it too...

Yes, you're getting old!!

Billy Boy
18-Oct-06, 15:33
1. You're asleep, but others worry that you're dead.

2. Your back goes out more than you do.

3.You are proud of your lawn mower

4.You quit trying to hold your stomach in, no matter who walks into the room

5.You answer a question with, "Because I said so."

6.Your ears are hairier than your head

7.You get into a heated argument about pension plans.

8.You have a party and the neighbors don't even realize it

9.Your best friend is dating someone half their age, and isn't breaking any laws

10.You frequently find yourself telling people what a loaf of bread
USED to cost.

scorrie
18-Oct-06, 15:37
If you are old you think that a pair of Pantyhose is underwear.

To the younger generation a pair of Pantyhose is two prostitutes running the London Marathon!!

Billy Boy
18-Oct-06, 15:42
An elderly gentleman had serious hearing problems for a number of years.

He finally went to a doctor, and was fitted with excellent new hearing aids.

He returned a month later for a checkup, and the doctor said, "Your hearing is perfect! Your family must be really pleased that you can hear again."

The gentleman replied, "Oh, I haven't told my family just yet. I still sit around quietly; but, now I listen to the conversations. I've changed my will three times already.

cuddlepop
18-Oct-06, 15:58
When you forget what you climbed the stairs for and wait to see if you remember before going back down:lol:

henry20
18-Oct-06, 16:05
Thanks cuddlepop - I am officially a geriatric 26 year old :lol:

cuddlepop
18-Oct-06, 16:09
Its the kids Henry20 you can blame them.I'm sure with everyone I had a little bit of my brain function became obsulate:lol: .At 30 my clicky hip was blamed on child birth and was told its old age you'll have to live with it[disgust]

Billy Boy
18-Oct-06, 16:15
When you forget what you climbed the stairs for and wait to see if you remember before going back down:lol:

getting old is when...You run out of breath walking DOWN a flight of stairs[lol]

henry20
18-Oct-06, 16:31
Its the kids Henry20 you can blame them.I'm sure with everyone I had a little bit of my brain function became obsulate:lol: .At 30 my clicky hip was blamed on child birth and was told its old age you'll have to live with it

I don't even have that excuse - no kids and not even a neice or nephew to blame it on. Must be the stress of having a husband & dog - thats the same as 2 kids anyway. :lol:

Billy Boy
18-Oct-06, 20:03
1. You and your teeth don't sleep together

2. It takes two tries to get up from the couch

3.When your idea of a night out is sitting on the patio.

4. When happy hour is a nap.

5.When you say something to your kids that your mother said to you and you always hated it.

6.Your memory is shorter and your complaining lasts longer:lol:

7.Everything hurts, and what doesn't hurt - doesn't work.

8.You give up all your bad habits and still don't feel good

aaahhhhhh i don't want to get old, wait a minute i'am half way there:eek:

danc1ngwitch
18-Oct-06, 20:11
I have read this and i am laughin at parts of it...LMAO ... ( hangs ma head ) now i am thinkin i have all this to face...oh boy!!!

henry20
19-Oct-06, 10:10
Getting old is when:

You are making dinner and set pudding on a plate to defrost (having a lazy night) while cooking the rest of dinner. You are serving main course when you realise the pudding is no longer on the worktop - you blame hubby (no-one else is in house) but he denies it! You study the worktop and its definitely nowhere to be seen.

Then hubby finds it on top of fridge - exactly where you'd set it to keep it out of the way!

Oh dear, only 26 and I've lost my marbles

golach
19-Oct-06, 10:47

That is not getting old that is called having a Senior Moment :lol:

golach
19-Oct-06, 10:49
getting old is when...You run out of breath walking DOWN a flight of stairs[lol]
Only if your first name is Angy and you have a liking for Mutton pies[lol]

Billy Boy
19-Oct-06, 18:44
Only if your first name is Angy and you have a liking for Mutton pies[lol]

lol i think ac get's out of breath just thinking about pie's :lol:

Lolabelle
22-Oct-06, 10:37
I don't have stairs, but find doorways always steal my thoughts when I go through them. As soon as I go through a doorway, I forget why I was going into the room. I go back and remember, then back and forget again. I'm not kidding!!!! :eek:

Piglet
22-Oct-06, 12:04
lol - this has cheered me up no end. [lol]

Kingetter
22-Oct-06, 12:11
lol - this has cheered me up no end. [lol]

But can you now remember what you were doing before you read it?:D

Billy Boy
22-Oct-06, 12:14

lol it must be catching,i can't remember what i was going to type:eek:

Kingetter
22-Oct-06, 12:19
lol it must be catching,i can't remember what i was going to type:eek:

"Who are you? Do I know you?":confused

Billy Boy
22-Oct-06, 12:23
"Who are you? Do I know you?":confused

who am i?do i know me?now your scareing me lol:eek:

Kingetter
22-Oct-06, 12:26
who am i?do i know me?now your scareing me lol:eek:

Is that the truth? or should this be the start of something new (like a new thread maybe?).

Piglet
22-Oct-06, 12:29

not a clue but hey it couldn't have been that important . . . or was it :confused

Kingetter
22-Oct-06, 12:31
not a clue but hey it couldn't have been that important . . . or was it :confused

Search me! (only do it gently please).