PDA

View Full Version : How your money is really being spent!

sandyr1
29-Oct-11, 04:39
A 5 year investigation by a Branch of the US Government has revealed.......First the fact as reported today....

In the initial stages of the Iraq War, $22 Billion was earmarked by the Coalition for 'Expenses'. But $6.8 Billion was seemingly 'lost'.
Over the past Five years the investigation showed that $6.8 in CASH was flown into the 'War Zone' in special plane loads to be used at the discretion of the Ground Commanders....Now this CASH was packaged in plastic in fairly small denominations, and it took dozens of Coalition planes to fly it in!

So now think.....Six point Eight Billion Dollars......One Billion is a Thousand Million...so Six thousand, eight hundred Million dollars of coalition Cash was given away in Iraq.
Fortunately Canada didn't get involved as did France and a few other Countries....but the United Kingdom, Australia etc etc did get involved and I am sure contributed. So this 'thing' has been going on for years/ all Gov'ts contributed the troops and the support system....including likely the Cash....
Of course my adoped Country was involved in the Afghani and Libyan Affairs.......

This expose came out today in the United States.......Just shows you what goes on behind closed doors....

theone
29-Oct-11, 05:00
Is it really an expose?

I've read several books about Iraq and Afghanistan, with ground commanders paying cash compensation for damage to property or for services provided by locals. In one I think the UK commander paid locals to rebuild a school. It took it to be normal practice.

sandyr1
29-Oct-11, 05:24
With nearly $7 Billion Dollars/ 4 Billion Pounds of your/our money....
Am glad you think it is OK/ I don't...I suppose you are more worried about the phones and nude pics of Stars being intercepted...and spread on the Internet, just because these said Stars couldn't be bothered to change their password....but to each their own!

theone
29-Oct-11, 18:31
With nearly $7 Billion Dollars/ 4 Billion Pounds of your/our money....
Am glad you think it is OK/ I don't...I suppose you are more worried about the phones and nude pics of Stars being intercepted...and spread on the Internet, just because these said Stars couldn't be bothered to change their password....but to each their own!

Where did I say I thought it was OK?

You've got a real habit of putting words in peoples mouths Sandy.

I asked if it was really an expose. A scoop. Some sort of secret not known to the public. I didn't think it was.

As for private emails/phonecall being intercepted, although a bit off topic, yes, I do think it's wrong. Hacking into people private transmissions is illegal, regardless of how poor the security against it is.

sandyr1
29-Oct-11, 20:10
Firstly the report was released yest....
No you didn't say it was OK.
Priorities I would say.
Food for thought!!

I Remain, Yours Truly.....

weezer 316
30-Oct-11, 13:54
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7444083.stm

Iraqs missing billions. Its been known about for years.

secrets in symmetry
30-Oct-11, 14:44
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7444083.stm

Iraqs missing billions. Its been known about for years.They're a bit behind the times out in the Florida sticks.

sandyr1
30-Oct-11, 15:00
They're a bit behind the times out in the Florida sticks.

Yes I know about that..but they have now come to a difinitive conclusion..Arn't you just quite proud...A Brit done it!!
Hey, its in the 80's here and windy and raining....But it's in the 80's! Boo hoo 2 u!

Hey SIS....Just follow me/ you will be just fine!

secrets in symmetry
30-Oct-11, 15:02
A Brit done wot?

sandyr1
30-Oct-11, 15:13
Read your own story....The guy who took the $1B...Lived in the UK....but again I forgive you....just let me know when I can help u understant....haha.

secrets in symmetry
30-Oct-11, 15:39
Hey, its in the 80's here and windy and raining....But it's in the 80's! Boo hoo 2 u!
Are you getting it from ex-hurricane Rina? Whereabouts in Southern Florida are you? I imagine Key West will be getting a bit of a battering.

sandyr1
30-Oct-11, 18:44
Am in Fort Lauderdale. It was going to hit us, but now just the tail end. Winds are about 50mph but the rain is incredible. Major flooding but it is in the low 80's...or the high 20's whichever you are using.
The beach is wonderful....Yes Key West got a bit more/ I am approx 65 miles North of there.
Warm salt water is better that Colde Caithness Salt Water!

ducati
30-Oct-11, 22:26
Am in Fort Lauderdale. It was going to hit us, but now just the tail end. Winds are about 50mph but the rain is incredible. Major flooding but it is in the low 80's...or the high 20's whichever you are using.
The beach is wonderful....Yes Key West got a bit more/ I am approx 65 miles North of there.
Warm salt water is better that Colde Caithness Salt Water!

Let us know when the humidity hits 100% :eek:

sandyr1
30-Oct-11, 23:18
Let us know when the humidity hits 100% :eek:

I don't mean to rub it in....BUT it is wonderful!

secrets in symmetry
31-Oct-11, 10:36
Warm salt water is better that Colde Caithness Salt Water!Sounds good - apart from the weather! I hope it improves for you.

I took a look at these webcams yesterday: Live Fort Lauderdale Web Cam - Fort Lauderdale CVB (http://www.sunny.org/webcam/)

It looked like Wick Bay with a strong North Easterly - but warm and with palm trees. :cool:

Alan16
31-Oct-11, 12:20
So now think.....Six point Eight Billion Dollars......One Billion is a Thousand Million...so Six thousand, eight hundred Million dollars of coalition Cash was given away in Iraq.

Ok, so this story isn't really surprising or particularly interesting, but I do want to thank you for the explanation of a billion, as I wouldn't be able to comprehend unless you put it into millions for me...

Just shows you what goes on behind closed doors....

As long as no-one runs an exposé into what happens behind my closed doors I'll still sleep easy. Or at least that's what I'll tell everyone!... ;)

sandyr1
31-Oct-11, 13:06
Sounds good - apart from the weather! I hope it improves for you.

I took a look at these webcams yesterday: Live Fort Lauderdale Web Cam - Fort Lauderdale CVB (http://www.sunny.org/webcam/)

It looked like Wick Bay with a strong North Easterly - but warm and with palm trees. :cool:

Thank you SIS.....Went out and sat close to the Ocean last nite....Quite amazing..really a far cry from Caithness.
In the high 70`s with 50mph winds and the surf perhps 10-15 feet.
Last Feb I sailed from the Palm Beaches to Key Key, and then returned riding the Gulf Stream, 40 miles offshore in 15 foot seas and 25 knot winds....Just a sailors dream...oh and it was again in the 70`s. In a 34 foot sailboat.....built in the UK! Spoiled...yes!
Between the the snow on the Eastern Seaboard and this tail end Hurricane, there are over 5 million homes without electricity....It will be weeks before power will be restored.

sandyr1
31-Oct-11, 14:26
Ok, so this story isn't really surprising or particularly interesting, but I do want to thank you for the explanation of a billion, as I wouldn't be able to comprehend unless you put it into millions for me...

As long as no-one runs an exposé into what happens behind my closed doors I'll still sleep easy. Or at least that's what I'll tell everyone!... ;)

I was merely trying to show the colossal sums of money that went to this Iraq Thingy......And if you are so dis interested why bother to comment. Sarcasm as usual! This susbject has been talked about for a long time. Only a few days ago did the Official Report come out...now difinitive....And if you don`t think that this much money is of any importance I sure pity the next Generation..that is if you are who you say you are!

The last time I heard from you was in a similar vain.... Is this the best you can do...If so perhaps keep it to yourself.....Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit and intelligence!

Alan16
31-Oct-11, 15:20
I was merely trying to show the colossal sums of money that went to this Iraq Thingy......

Yes, but a billion and a thousand million are the same thing. A thousand million doesn't illustrate it any better.

And if you are so dis interested why bother to comment. Sarcasm as usual! This susbject has been talked about for a long time. Only a few days ago did the Official Report come out...now difinitive....

An inability to understand humour as usual! Look, not everyone has to take seriously what you do, and if you find the fact that I make jokes about what you consider serious to be so lowly and beneath notice, then why not just pass over it and get on with your life.

The last time I heard from you was in a similar vain.... Is this the best you can do...If so perhaps keep it to yourself.....Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit and intelligence!

'Cause you know what, otherwise I've already won. If you really believe that all I do is go around and be sarcastic all over the place, then I'm clearly just looking for a reaction and so whilst my post just infuriates you, your post just makes me laugh, and I'll take that any day.

As our American allies would say, just chill dude.

sandyr1
31-Oct-11, 16:45
Yes, as you say, your first post in a year... Infuriates me....Hehe....But perhaps you got it `honestly`...hehe
Or, as they say in Caithness..Go Bile yur Heed!
My life is quite wonderful....thank you for commenting...I didn`t know you cared...
Do you think you are an ally of the US...Puppet more like it.

Phill
31-Oct-11, 22:13
Firstly the report was released yest....
No you didn't say it was OK.
Priorities I would say.
Food for thought!!

I Remain, Yours Truly.....Are you on drugs, or is it just the weather going to your head??? :eek:

It looked like Wick Bay with a strong North Easterly - but warm and with palm trees. :cool:You ain't been down the harbour lately, done a bit of improvements recently:
http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy337/Phill_Rawlins/palmtrees.jpg

sandyr1
01-Nov-11, 02:33
Ohhhhhhhh Deary me.....

secrets in symmetry
02-Nov-11, 01:14
Thank you SIS.....Went out and sat close to the Ocean last nite....Quite amazing..really a far cry from Caithness.
In the high 70`s with 50mph winds and the surf perhps 10-15 feet.
Last Feb I sailed from the Palm Beaches to Key Key, and then returned riding the Gulf Stream, 40 miles offshore in 15 foot seas and 25 knot winds....Just a sailors dream...oh and it was again in the 70`s. In a 34 foot sailboat.....built in the UK! Spoiled...yes!
Between the the snow on the Eastern Seaboard and this tail end Hurricane, there are over 5 million homes without electricity....It will be weeks before power will be restored.Do you really mean you sailed to "Key Key", perhaps you meant Key West? Either way, it sounds great. :cool:

Has the sun come back yet? I watched some frustrated beachgoers on the webcams yesterday.

secrets in symmetry
02-Nov-11, 01:23
You ain't been down the harbour lately, done a bit of improvements recently:
http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy337/Phill_Rawlins/palmtrees.jpg
Drools.... I love the view from the new Sloppy Joe's at Wick Harbour - I can almost taste those fresh coconuts.

Bartender, may I have another Key West Cooler? And one for each of my new beach pals Phill and Sandyr1 too please. :cool:

sandyr1
02-Nov-11, 03:06
Do you really mean you sailed to "Key Key", perhaps you meant Key West? Either way, it sounds great. :cool:

Has the sun come back yet? I watched some frustrated beachgoers on the webcams yesterday.

Key West/ must be the sun, sand and the drinks/ been accused of that lately!

Yes the 'storm' is gone/ still windy but sunny. Going to get better....

oldmarine
02-Nov-11, 04:30
a 5 year investigation by a branch of the us government has revealed.......first the fact as reported today....

In the initial stages of the iraq war, $22 billion was earmarked by the coalition for 'expenses'. But $6.8 billion was seemingly 'lost'.
Over the past five years the investigation showed that $6.8 in cash was flown into the 'war zone' in special plane loads to be used at the discretion of the ground commanders....now this cash was packaged in plastic in fairly small denominations, and it took dozens of coalition planes to fly it in!

So now think.....six point eight billion dollars......one billion is a thousand million...so six thousand, eight hundred million dollars of coalition cash was given away in iraq.
Fortunately canada didn't get involved as did france and a few other countries....but the united kingdom, australia etc etc did get involved and i am sure contributed. So this 'thing' has been going on for years/ all gov'ts contributed the troops and the support system....including likely the cash....
Of course my adoped country was involved in the afghani and libyan affairs.......

This expose came out today in the united states.......just shows you what goes on behind closed doors....
wow! That's a lot of money!!!

George Brims
02-Nov-11, 18:43
Yes, but a billion and a thousand million are the same thing.
Once upon a time in the UK they were NOT the same thing. A billion was a million million, and a trillion was a million million million. I remember Harold Wilson declaring he and his ministers would now use the American convention in budgets etc, and that's how it's been ever since.

oldmarine
02-Nov-11, 20:22
Once upon a time in the UK they were NOT the same thing. A billion was a million million, and a trillion was a million million million. I remember Harold Wilson declaring he and his ministers would now use the American convention in budgets etc, and that's how it's been ever since.
Looks like good ole George has solved another problem. lol!

sandyr1
02-Nov-11, 22:32

Thank you.....I have corroboration!

secrets in symmetry
03-Nov-11, 01:18
Key West/ must be the sun, sand and the drinks/ been accused of that lately!

Yes the 'storm' is gone/ still windy but sunny. Going to get better....The weather on the web cams looked better today - but still very windy.

I saw a TV programme featuring Paul Merton visiting Florida tonight. He said everything in Florida is in the eighties: the people, the temperature, and the IQs! What a cheeky boy he is!

sandyr1
03-Nov-11, 16:00
Yes SIS...You have it about correct..

If anyone is interested in a nice vacation spot.....

Deerfield Beach/ The Wyndham Hotel on the Beach, is rather a nice place to stay if anyone wants a decent holiday. This is the one depicted by the Webcam on a previous post.
It is 30 minutes from Palm Beach Int'l Airport and a wee bit longer from Fort Lauderdale. Cab fare costs about $30.00...negotiation! The rooms are are approx $110 per night and it has been newly renovated. You can also wave to your friends and relatives via the Web cam!!
One of the good features about this area is it is normally 8/10 degrees warmer that the Orlando area, which is 3 hours away.
Just FYI......s

gleeber
03-Nov-11, 22:41
Its an ill divided world Sandy and I know ye worked for it but your moaning about people who get less to live a week than you pay for a night in a hotel in crocidile infested Florida. It would bring a tear to a glass eye. [lol]

sandyr1
04-Nov-11, 02:09
Perhaps you are correct, but I know many people in Caithness/Scotland who travel all over the World.
No....I never moaned about people getting what is due to them.....But I do know about some people who get what is not due to them...Yes I know personally.....I know some sheltered housing, where at least two of the residents are on Social Assistance and are very wealthy!
This to me is wrong, but due to 'connections' they get this. But I got your drift and I shall not do it any more.....and it's a long time since I heard the 'glass eye' one!
And really Florida isn't crocodile infested. Met a chappie from Tallahassee.....who said when he was younger, he had to get up early and take the tractor and go and lasso several Alligators and then drag them away from the water with the tractor, and release them just as the tourists were going out to see the said animals.
I have seen some on the golf course and the sides of some roads, but not what one would expect....It's just a tourist attraction....

DeHaviLand
04-Nov-11, 15:25
I think you should lay off the drink Sandy!

sandyr1
04-Nov-11, 17:12
I think you should lay off the drink Sandy!

Cheezzee Whizzzz...everyone is telling me that.....I am a changed person!! I am..I am!

secrets in symmetry
05-Nov-11, 00:24
And really Florida isn't crocodile infested. Met a chappie from Tallahassee.....who said when he was younger, he had to get up early and take the tractor and go and lasso several Alligators and then drag them away from the water with the tractor, and release them just as the tourists were going out to see the said animals.Was this at Wakulla Springs?

I've seen plenty 'gators at Wakulla - I hope they weren't all freshly lassoed!

sandyr1
05-Nov-11, 01:27
Was this at Wakulla Springs?

I've seen plenty 'gators at Wakulla - I hope they weren't all freshly lassoed!

That general area/ don't think it was him tho'//
You can see hundreds of gators on.... wait for it.....Alligator Alley..... which goes from Ft Lauderdale to Ft Myers, but they are fenced off..not to save the Gators, but to save stoooopid people who want to pet them. They are Ok tho'..... just don't get behind or beside them/ tail is a powerful weapon/ knock you down and then they can be dangerous....

secrets in symmetry
05-Nov-11, 13:53
I've driven Alligator Alley, but I can't remember if I saw 'gators there.

It's a beautiful morning on the webcams. :cool:

sandyr1
05-Nov-11, 15:24
Florida...................It's a 'loverly' place.