PDA

View Full Version : Seven strands of diversity

Angel
28-Oct-11, 22:52
Do you believe in Equality across the seven strands of diversity. "There are seven" I here you ask! Yes there are.
So please take a little time to think about the options and if you wish add your own comment too...

Angel...

shazzap
28-Oct-11, 23:11
I support myself. Well i did. But my OH does now. [lol]

theone
28-Oct-11, 23:20
I support employment equality based on race/ethnicity and sexual orientation.

I don't for the other five, as I can imagine circumstances where these factors may be detrimental for the employer.

secrets in symmetry
29-Oct-11, 00:18
Why the public poll Angel? Are you trying to make friends or weed out the bigots?

You don't need a poll for the latter on this forum! On the other hand, the vocal ones will be identifiable by their total absence from the poll. :cool:

The really stupid bigots will try to find an error in my logic.

squidge
29-Oct-11, 00:19
Only 83% support employment equality based on gender???????

ducati
29-Oct-11, 08:21
Who mentioned employment. Is not in all aspects of life?

Leanne
29-Oct-11, 09:18
Do you have the option to tick all of them?

What I disagree with is positive discrimination to meet 'quotas'. It should be best person for the job...

gleeber
29-Oct-11, 23:05
Do you believe in Equality across the seven strands of diversity. "There are seven" I here you ask! Yes there are.
So please take a little time to think about the options and if you wish add your own comment too...

Angel...
Its the first ive heard of the seven strands of diversity. Maybe its been around for a while and I havnt noticed it. I remember the word inflation appeared from knowhere in the 70s but it never bothered me before then so why bother noticing it.
Thats why rights like the above need to be written in stone because if it doesnt efect us we dont really notice it. Prejudice seems to be a human trait and it needs to be regulated. i would support all the above.

I support employment equality based on race/ethnicity and sexual orientation.

I don't for the other five, as I can imagine circumstances where these factors may be detrimental for the employer.

Surely the employer needs to adapt to human rights and not be an excuse for retaining the prejudice. If they are going to write laws in stone to protect the individual against the big bad wolf whats the point of allowing the big bad wolfs son to ignore them?

Why the public poll Angel? Are you trying to make friends or weed out the bigots?

You don't need a poll for the latter on this forum! On the other hand, the vocal ones will be identifiable by their total absence from the poll. :cool:

The really stupid bigots will try to find an error in my logic.
I can be a stupid bigot at times and I found a flaw in your logic. You make it too easy.
Your logic is purely subjective. Canna have subjectivity now, can we? Logic itself needs to be observed and understood as a scientific concept otherwise people will believe anything. They do anyway. :lol:

Angel
29-Oct-11, 23:10
You can tick as many as you wish Leanne...

Just though it interesting (and to be honest, I don't know what the difference is between open or otherwise poll) besides which, why not and anyway it my first poll SIS... but thank you for asking...

Angel...

theone
29-Oct-11, 23:27
Surely the employer needs to adapt to human rights and not be an excuse for retaining the prejudice. If they are going to write laws in stone to protect the individual against the big bad wolf whats the point of allowing the big bad wolfs son to ignore them?

Good point.

And yes, the employer must, by law, adapt to meet human rights legislation whether they agree or not.

The question was simply which of these "strands" we agree with. I gave an honest answer.

The mention of "quotas" to prove adherence to these requirements is a worrying one. I know for a fact that my company has carried out an audit to test for "diversity" within its employees. What if they score low? Are they going to employ people specifically because they fit these "target" groups? Surely that's exactly the kind of recruitment practices the laws are supposed to prevent?

secrets in symmetry
30-Oct-11, 13:18
I can be a stupid bigot at times and I found a flaw in your logic. You make it too easy.
Your logic is purely subjective. Canna have subjectivity now, can we? Logic itself needs to be observed and understood as a scientific concept otherwise people will believe anything. They do anyway. :lol:I didn't have you listed as a stupid bigot gleeber, but I'll take your word for it.

My logic is correct.